Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Discount Pokémon Edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UnyK-WzUqQI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does anyone have good resources for troll lore, specifically their religious practices and maybe lists and descritptions of their loa? Trying to flesh out my Darkspear.

Wowpedia's your best bet.

Then I truly am lost. I guess players have to make up most of the nitty gritty stuff when it comes to this; most of the Loa only have three or four lines for their info. Coming up with rituals is going to be a peach, though I guess I already did some with my Blacksmith anyway.

I guess the Darkspear would mostly have worship overlap with the Gurubashi? They originate from the area but I don't know how much drift there would be between the tribes.

Back when I played a troll shaman I just tried to adapt some of the information regarding real life voodoo, read a few books and went on a few websites. It's not great, but it's the best you've really got. Blizzard has always written a lot of troll lore without ever deigning to elaborate on it.

Fact of the matter is, the biggest dump of information we had on Troll culture came from the Troll Encyclopedia which Blizzard hosted on its websites for years (a copy can now be found on wowpedia), and even that was pretty barebones

Grand Magister Rommath: Guards! Seize this saboteur.
Alleria Windrunner: I will not be taken prisoner in my own homeland.
Lor'themar Theron: Enough! You will leave at once, Alleria. Accident or no, your presence poses a danger to Quel'Thalas. Go back to Stormwind. Silvermoon is no longer your home.
Alleria Windrunner: As you command, Regent Lord. For now.
Lor'themar Theron: I regret you had to witness that exchange, Thalyssra. This is not how I planned your visit to unfold.
First Arcanist Thalyssra: On the contrary. This conflict has demonstrated your dedication to your people. I can see that the Horde has allowed you to uphold your traditions--something that is very important to us.
First Arcanist Thalyssra: We gain strength from our allies... but we have not lost who we are.
First Arcanist Thalyssra: Suramar will always be our home. But some among my people wish to venture out into the world, to claim our place in Azeroth once again. To do that, we need allies.
Lor'themar Theron: The Horde offers that to you, First Arcanist. Join us. The gates of Silvermoon stand open to you.
First Arcanist Thalyssra: On behalf of the nightborne, I accept your proposal. From this day forth, Suramar fights for the Horde.
Lor'themar Theron: Excellent! Lady Liadrin, please return to Orgrimmar and tell the warchief the good news.
Lady Liadrin: It will be my pleasure, Regent Lord. I will meet you in Silvermoon, champion.
Alleria tenses defiantly.
First Arcanist Thalyssra: Good luck, $p. As for me, I am going to test my skill in Ashenvale. For the Horde!.

Hordes will defend this writing

>Hordes will defend this writing
Your perspective is so narrow. Blizzdrones will defend this writing.

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

youtube.com/watch?v=UnyK-WzUqQI

what is the best orc clan and why is it blackrock?

>New actually interesting landscape with fun and varying themes
>Sub-races of which will not be secluded only to expansions but may come along in normal patches
>Straight back Orcs
>Fixing female worgen faces soon

HOW DOES ONE FIGHT THE ITCH?!

Probably because in both pre- and post-retcon Warcraft they were the only clan that had their shit together.

By remembering that if I want to go back i'll have to buy Legion.

You could always jump in.

What accident/sabotage are they talking about?

Also, am I the only one annoyed with how hard Blizzard has forced the split between high and blood elves? Sure there was bad blood between them, but the level of hostility is ridiculous.

All the datamine is in wowhead, Alleria was there and somehow a void edge master appeared and tried to steal the Sunwell.

>the level of hostility is ridiculous
Okay, so you know how some jews go around saying that Hitler did nothing wrong and the jews who died in the holocaust only got what was coming to them?

That's the high elves.

It's an excellent deterrent.

I'm surprised they haven't driven each other to extinction, but I guess the populations change as the plot needs. Or maybe they've both instituted breeding facilities in the background.

For a split second I thought this was a neopets thread

It can't be helped!
God i'd like to, I wanna madly make a Zandalari

Really makes you think....

>That's the high elves.
Explain.

So you know how Kael'Thas and his guys were calling themselves the Blood Elves even before they were tainted by Fel magic because it was a mark of respect for the dead*?

High Elves - by calling themselves high elves - deliberately refuse to acknowledge the tragedy of the deaths of their kin, spitting on the sacrifice of the people of Quel'Thalas and showing no sympathy to those elves who lost relatives in the Third War.

*90% of their entire race, if you need a refresher

So you're saying High Elves are right?

No because unlike the holohoax, the Third War was real.

Unlike Hitler, Garithos did, in fact, do something wrong.

Mhm. He insulted his dwarf soldiers.

The nerve.

Jaina's mistake was not having a fail-deadly nuclear deterrence strategy in place.

Cooking-themed expansion when?

When Nomi gets a recipe right.

Jaina's mistake was claiming to be a peace advocate for like a decade while letting her soldiers start shit with the Horde anyway and then having the gall to think somebody wouldn't eventually go "Wait a minute. We need to fucking raze Theramore."

Her real mistake was letting blizzard write for her, I still want the "rage against the author" expansion where blizzard devs play a unique third faction that everyone hates

>Sylvanas gets character assassinated so hard everyone just wishes she'd die.
True of here, but most WoW fans and the writers love her.

>Her real mistake was letting blizzard write for her
This really goes for so much of the setting at this point.

Well yeah, that's a given. I don't think Blizzard intentionally meant to write her as the peace advocate leader of one of the Alliance's most belligerent factions, because she's clearly neither supposed to be duplicitous or incompetent. That's just what actually plays out in-game.

>Horde wins everything plotline
Not gonna happen.

Everything in Kalimdor just as the Alliance wins everything in EK, so Red vs Blue can keep going stale forever

Last thread someone noted the irony that the war has become the worst part of warcraft

Having an alliance continent and a horde continent sounds like the stupidest, laziest bullshit i've ever heard.

I blame Blizzard and the Alliance playerbase desu. I don't know how it was on other people's servers, but you'd have people complaining the they had been the generic good faction from like Cata onwards, but the second they ever did anything morally questionable, those same people would come out of the woodwork to bitch about why it was actually the Horde's fault.

Whenever the Horde would score a win it was HORDE BIAS, even after years of the Alliance riding the gravy train as far back as Vanilla and in defiance of the fact that it was clear setup for the Horde becoming straight up villains and getting their asses beat in Mists.

Thrall goes neutral and becomes the hero for all of one expansion and we still hear about how Thrall was Green Jesus and has been for years and this is so unfair you guys.

Back when I played Horde exclusively I thought the OOC aspect of the conflict was really goofy, then I actually started interacting with the Alliance on my server and it started making sense.

Well, until they become bored of Azeroth and venture off to another random world, colonial style

Insipid neutralfags are always saying that though.

They probably don't do that because then they'd get shit from their own faction for being associated with the evil Horde-aligned monsters that are currently calling themselves Blood Elves.

Where will the Nightelves and Forsaken resettle?

I wish the Nelves would take over Duskwood and the Forsaken settle in the ruins of Theramore.

I don't need to defend it, the inexplicable Alliance tears from not getting alternate color elf race #43241 will sustain me for years

>Warcraft
>lore

they will settle in Winterspring and become... Snow Elves

I was picturing how cool it would be to have a rebuilt Theramore designed in the style of Lordaeronian buildings inhabited by Forsaken citizens, but then I remember that they've had that retarded Nightmare Before Christmas architecture since they became cartoon villains in Wrath. Fuck I hate what my favorite race became.

>tfw this game could've just as easily started with the 4 wc3 factions instead of endless 2 faction war
>tfw factions could've had a consistent visual and lore theme
>tfw they could've removed language barrier >tfw they could've allowed you to group outside of your faction to temporarily gain access to their faction's content
>tfw having to group to gain access to content would've kept the game a social experience where you have to actually talk to eachother and work together
>tfw this wouldn't even be a significant drain on development resources

There's nothing WORTH having in the Eastern Kingdoms, user. Even if the Alliance managed to kick out the Forsaken and Blood Elves, Lordaeron doesn't have much useful land. It's mostly plaguelands and other shit that's basically the equivalent of a radioactive wasteland, with only a little bit of land in Quel'Thalas. What does the Alliance actually GAIN from this?

Meanwhile in Kalimdor, the Horde is getting rich, valuable, expansive woodlands. They'd be completely winning in this scenario.

Blame the Horde for hosting evil fuckers like Sylvannas.

oh, the autistic 4 faction fag is finally here

Better than being a two-faction fag.

I blame the Alliance when they bitch about shit the Horde does, regardless of whether or not they had it coming. Theramore has been asking for it since fucking Daelin's days and that never changed before Garrosh dropped the bomb.

The Loa of Death was pretty well revered by Vol'Jin. I wouldn't find it weird if most of the Darkspear worshipped it after seeing Vol'Jin talk to him successfuly.

user.

Nightelves and Druids. Grass, Wood and Weed magic.

Blizzard struggles with creating the conflict between the 2 factions, how do you think they could do it between the 4?

I'm a one faction fag btw

What's wrong with 4 factions?

They'd also have pretty good reason to praise it since it kind of singlehandedly gave them back their islands.

Post-Wrath there's no reason not be a one-faction fag. Post-Pandaria there's no fucking excuse for not being one.

Who/What the heck is Hakkar? Is he an Ancient? A Loa?

>Night Elves
>Surviving in enough numbers to do shit if their lands are all stolen
>Druid magic
>Working fast enough to repair the entire plaguelands within one expansion

>Post-Wrath there's no reason not be a one-faction fag.

How? Horde and Alliance fight throughout Wrath.

>Post-Pandaria there's no fucking excuse for not being one.

Again, how? They spend all of Pandaria fighting and only come together to oust Garrosh.

>what is the western plaguelands in Cata
And argument shut down.

>Razing a civilian center
>Had it coming
Fuck off Garrosh, defending people like Garrosh and Sylvannas are why the Horde is seen as evil.

Maybe don't store your civilians in a military outpost then you fucking retard.

The Horde are evil, noble savage red alliance pussies need to neck themselves.

The Northwatch Expeditionary Unit answered to Theramore and was the Alliance's main military force in Kalimdor during Cataclysm. They assaulted the Crossroads in a preemptive strike before Deathwing had even awakened, and their forces were harassing neutral parties alongside the Horde from as far back as Vanilla. Jaina's soldiers were deserting in droves and becoming criminals that harassed Horde and Alliance alike, and if you ever played before Pandaria, you'd have seen military drills being conducted in the middle of town. It was not a civilian center anymore than Taurajo was, and you're the exact kind of nigger I was bitching about.

>I don't need to defend it, the inexplicable Alliance tears from not getting alternate color elf race #43241 will sustain me for years
They get a different alternate color elf. The thing that's bothering them is that Void Elves are a retarded concept and their number is mostly made up of Blood Elf traitors that nobody wants.

>I don't know how cities work

>Fixing female worgen faces soon
Wait, was that actually confirmed? Damn, Blizzard. They really must be hurting if they’re finally trying to fix something players have been complaining about for YEARS.

Honestly? Just ignore it for the most part.
Focus writing efforts of just making good quest-lines.
Have each faction have the majority of their land off-limits, and have the occasional zone or smaller area within a zone where 2 or more factions can do some world-pvp sort of like those tower things in outlands.
Have people need either a party with a player of a different faction, or do some questline/rep-grind to go to the other factions land without having to risk getting killed.
There'd be slightly more quests themed around diplomacy in one form or another, since the game would already be built around more than 2 factions occasionally adding another for an expansion would be no big deal, and I would no longer have to wonder why dwarves and elves aren't disgusted or suspicious with eachother.

What do you expect in a game where 90% of the players skip all the dialogue so they can grind their rep faster? Of corse the writing plays out like a bullet point list of how a real conversation should go.
>L: Alleria leave
>A: Mad but K
>T: Impressed by traditions or something
>T: Nightborne join the horde
>L: Cool
>T: Find me in ASHENVALE for my quest line [player]
Just fill in the blanks and boom; WoW writing.

But user, warcraft is poorly written. so that's not what's gonna happen and you know it.

Elves were a mistake in general. I'll be playing my Highmountain and trying to pretend that neither exists.

Yes, they explicitly mentioned the faces

>I don't know how war works

Good thing the civilians were evacuated first or that would look pretty bad.

This is true, but putting Blood Elves in the Alliance is the biggest mistake.

The Horde dropped fucking leaflets warning people to get out, and in case the allegory wasn't fucking obvious enough already.

High elf fags had screamed for years for the Alliance to get them, so in classic Blizz fashion they opted to go with a compromise that makes nobody happy by giving the Alliance gray edgelord elves from Silvermoon instead of the pretty blue eyed elves they wanted while Belves are now mad that the Alliance gets literal belves.

It was not the optimal solution.

Whats the point of the lore if they can retcon anything they want at any moment? Whats the point?

I like the edgy elves
Their hair glows

One has to wonder what motivated them to do this.

>Wanting to be a Blood Elf reject.

>elves were a mistake
>orcs were a mistake
>undead were a mistake
>trolls were a mistake
>draenei were a mistake
>naaru were a mistake
>gnomes were a mistake
>goblins were a mistake
>every single faction of humans were a mistake
Why do these threads always devolve into bitching and moaning about races? Can't we talk about things we like for once?

>inb4 "I like killing [insert race/faction here]"

So we can argue about it and try to push our own version of the lore, when we could instead just make our own setting from scratch?
Like dnd lore can be retconned by GMs, extra books, and new editions but that doesn't stop us from arguing about what a paladin is, or what orcs are like, or the differences between druids, sorcerors, wizards, warlocks, clerics, etc.

I like everyone.

Blizzard never chooses an optimal solution.

There isn't one, it's why I stopped playing. I hop on a Vanilla server once in a blue moon, and dream of one day running a decent exploration campaign circa early Vanilla or Wrath of the Lich King. I just enjoy these threads because I like to see how far gone the game is.

Blizzard is trying to please all instead of doing the smart thing and jettison the whiners

>Wanting to be a Blood Elf reject.
a blood elf reject with glowing hair

more raid bosses that match the "player's power"

I like draenei and how unique their society is in comparison to night elves when they both are
>uniquely tied to the Light
>uniquely tied to magic
>stronk warrior class
Only good retcon Blizzard has done.

The only race I've ever disliked in all of warcraft so far has been the void elves. And even then it's only because I'm bitter Blizzard would rather invent ANOTHER species of elf when we already have 8 or 9, instead of actually using one of the many many interesting races that have been completely forgotten.

>>Wanting to be a Blood Elf reject.

>Wanting fag Elves over Nathan Explosion

xXedgezmastërXx

I'd take 1000 self aware edges for a high elf fag.

I'm more asspained that the Horde still doesn't have ogres. They've been part of the faction since fucking WC1.