media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Gone, but not forgotten:

What's the most punishing official 5e dungeon?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/7b9p36/5e_homebrew_artificer_version_cannonsmith_thunder/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Run Yawning Portal dungeon
>One-shot
>Official tournament setting gives players 2 hours to complete this huge dungeon
>My players spend 2 hours in the first room alone

It was lots of fun, but at this rate this dungeon will take 3-4 sessions. How was D&D so different back then? I'm getting increasingly curious about trying it.

Which thread do I post in?!

not this one

this one

Played a life cleric tonight, good mix of healing and buffs, plus it can take a bit of a beating.

Any other subclasses of cleric any of you have played and enjoyed?

not this one

Any good suggestions to refluff "Eldrich Sight" beside "harharrhar your patron rips out your eyes and gives you a new pair?"

help me /5eg/. I've got a campaign starting tonight and I'm not set on build. The build I was pretty sure I was running turned out to be a fucking nightmare of a balance problem, so I need a new one

I'm trying to play an ambush fighter. Real guerrilla warrior, blood and grit kinda character. All UAs open, all PHBs, multiclassing open.

I was thinking revised ranger with points into rogue for assassin, but I dunno.

duck season

>fucking nightmare of a balance problem

so the dm told you to fuck off with your min/max shit?

you mean so you don't actually have to CAST it? because it just means you don't have to burn a spell slot, it doesn't mean you're walking around with magic vision 24/7

What was your original build?

Your best option would be a bugbear with paladin levels and someone in the party with pass without trace or a shadow monk and stun your target or a gloom stalker ranger thing or possibly a gloom stalker ranger with assassin levels but to be honest you shouldn't be multiclassing with UA revised ranger
or barbarogue and you grapple shit and pull it into the party where they shank everything to death

I don't think the 'ambush guy' concept fits well into 5e, though. too much obnoxious solostealth.

A big eye in their forehead that opens when they use Eldritch Sight, but is otherwise indistinguishable from a forehead crease.

Alternately, eye stalks that rise out of their hair when they use it.

Or maybe their mouth becomes an eye when they use it.

Depends on the eldritch horror, I think.

a new eye every time they use it, which of course never go away

If re-prints of 1st ed. dungeons count, then obviously The Tomb of Horrors from TftYP.

DM is uninvolved with my character creation. I dont think he knows how busted of a character I had sitting. I want to tune it down before it even comes online, because its frankly absurd. The build has too much going for it, and if it sees the light of day, it breaks the campaign and I can solo everything.

We're running Flanking rules where if you attack a creature from two sides gives advantage.

DM gave me the green light to use a Large Poisonous Snake as a Beast Conclave pet. So I would have 100% uptime on advantage and 4 effective attacks per round on level 5. I could also use pet to proc Sneak attack with even a 1 level rogue dip.

the large snake does as much damage as a martial does until level 11, but then the snake can AoE attack. It was just broken on so many levels it wasnt even really funny.

In terms of flavor I wanted to do a kind of synchronized fighting style with a king cobra. But it's way too strong mechanically. Permanent advantage on all attacks because of flank, all the bonuses that revised ranger offers, and a pet that does more damage than PCs with a 10ft attack.

I just want to tone it down. I really like the flavor of 'cobra warrior', but at the same time, I don't see how you can balance it mechanically, so I think I'm cutting the 'cobra' part off and leading myself into more of a pure rougish character.

>We're running Flanking rules where if you attack a creature from two sides gives advantage.
Tell your DM to stop clinging onto previous editions like some sort of faggot monkey and remove the optional flanking rules
The flanking rules are fucking stupid
>So I would have 100% uptime on advantage and 4 effective attacks per round on level 5.
With flanking rules this isn't absurd at all. This is normal. A PAM fighter can easily get four attacks a round at level 5 with advantage when flanking is involved.
>I could also use pet to proc Sneak attack with even a 1 level rogue dip.
Proccing sneak attack isn't hard in the first place.
>the large snake does as much damage as a martial does until level 11
Probably a poorly built (no feats) martial.
>but then the snake can AoE attack
Not sure what to say, maybe I should go check Large Po-
Wait what the fuck
Bite.
"Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d4 + 4) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking 10 (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one."
How does this come anywhere near to a martial's damage? How does this AoE?

Your build wasn't broken
Your DM is just an idiot for flanking rules.

Eldritch Invocation "Eldritch Sight" makes Detect Magic cantrip. I am looking for different fluffs on how Warlock might gain it or how Patron bestows it. How activation/deactivation is done, and so on.
has right idea! Anything for Archfey?

>Tell your DM to stop clinging onto previous editions like some sort of faggot monkey and remove the optional flanking rules

Hey speaking of which, which optional rules from the DMG are good and which ones are cancer?

I'm a new DM about to start my own campaign, and I've opted to use the "Second Wind" optional rules. Any others I should consider or avoid?

Could phase spiders be found in a giant spiders lair?

>to tune it down
tone. you want to tone it down.

god how I fucking hate you millennials.

If you're a new DM I'd avoid DMG optional rules in general, though some of them (looking at disarm/climbing on large creatures) should be considered since you shouldn't tell a player that they absolutely cannot disarm an enemy without the relevant skill. Of course, use them only when they would work, don't let a player disarm a 50ft tall giant with a simple check.

It may be worth considering something like vitality or second wind or whatever to decrease dependence on healing to get players from 0 HP to 1 HP in combat but it's not necessary I'd say for a first time DM with new players.

>Tell your DM to stop clinging onto previous editions like some sort of faggot monkey and remove the optional flanking rules
>The flanking rules are fucking stupid
I agree, half the table is bitching at him for not removing it.
>With flanking rules this isn't absurd at all. This is normal. A PAM fighter can easily get four attacks a round at level 5 with advantage when flanking is involved.
>Probably a poorly built (no feats) martial.
PAM is considered munchkin as fuck in most scenarios. I think PAM is the only way for a martial to match the snake+dual wield ranger
>Proccing sneak attack isn't hard in the first place.
Yes, but this build offers 100% uptime. As a sustained form of damage, this stacks to dumb levels. The entire reason I think its broken is because you dont need to use any on rest abilities to pump out absolutely retarded damage per turn.

The beast conclave's pet has its own action economy separate from your own and is literally just gravy. Having the snake do its retarded bite damage starting at level 3, then getting a second attack per round by using the snake's reaction at level 5 is dumb.

1d4+4+3d6(halved by dex) is insane damage, higher than what should be allowed for a pet.

At level 11 the pet's attacks target everything within 5 feet of it.

If flanking rules weren't a part of his rules set, I think that the build is fine, but there's too much synergy across the board

>PAM is considered munchkin as fuck in most scenarios. I think PAM is the only way for a martial to match the snake+dual wield ranger
SS+CBE on a fighter, SS+CBE on a ranger, CBE on a rogue, PAM+GWM on a barbarian and PAM on a paladin are generally the standard damage output builds. You can call it munchkinning, but in a group of experienced players it's what keeps the martials up to speed with the casters. It's only really overpowered in the level 1-4 range.
So you're essentially saying your build is only as powerful as a standard martial build.
>Yes, but this build offers 100% uptime.
Again, not hard. A rogue can just have a familiar give them advantage whenever or simply move over to an enemy you want to sneak attack, a barbarogue can self-grant themselves advantage whenever, it's not hard to pick an enemy who's next to an ally, you can hide as a bonus action to grant yourself advantage, ATs later get an ability to self grant themselves advantage with mage hand, swashbucklers almost always have sneak attack.. It's not really a big deal.

The snake's damage isn't bad, but it's not hard to succeed a DC 11 con save to halve it and many, many enemies are outright immune to poison in the first place. Losing your extra attack for the beast's reaction attack is overall a loss in damage if you feated up ranger correctly. The snake isn't massively tough and once you get the level 4 ASI you can't then increase your snake's main ability score any higher, really.

.. and at level 11 its output has dropped off a lot,
I don't think it ever even gets magical attacks. 5ft radius AoE is hardly a big deal when at that level casters are flinging around 20ft, even 60ft radius AoEs like it's no big deal.

Essentially it should be fine as long as you're not playing with a bunch of new players. If your DM ever has a problem with your companion, they can just have the monsters execute it and you won't get it back without skipping a long rest or a short downtime.

Is there a functional difference between gaining a climb speed and Athlete's "Climbing doesn't cost you extra movement"?

yes

1. No skill checks, you described what you did and the DM adjudicated it. Less pointless rolling led to faster interactions.
2. Simpler, gridless combat with fewer options and with group instead of individual initiative, which in my experience leads to much faster pace of play.
3. You weren’t expected to beat the dungeon, the winner was whoever got the farthest.

>the winner was whoever got the farthest.
and dying inside of two hours was probably not rare.

Please elaborate

please give a fucking example of how you think they are not different and I'll explain where you're wrong

god damn people do your own fucking work for a change

It must have been quite stressful to be a DM then!

it was easier. rocks fall everyone dies wasn't a meme.

and ToTM is the best tbqh

Yeah you had to actually engage with the players rather than telling them to roll X in hope they get your Y DC value.

Could a giant spider use swarms of spiders covering its body as cover?

LISTEN MAN
HAVING A CLIMB SPEED MEANS YOU DO NOT SUFFER A PENALTY FOR CLIMBING
ATHLETE ELIMINATES THE ADDITIONAL MOVEMENT COST FOR CLIMBING
I've been up for nearly 48 hours straight and I can't relax enough to sleep so the only thing I can do is ponder the mysteries of the universe and by that I mean 5E so please work with me.

What you've stated is true, but I think have a climb speed also means you don't normally need to make an ability check to climb, climbing as easy as walking.

Oh. Alright then. That's enough to sate my exhausted brain. Thanks. Guess that makes Athlete even more worthless compared to 1 level in Fighter for Mariner on a DEX class.

>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/7b9p36/5e_homebrew_artificer_version_cannonsmith_thunder/

Hit me with some of your comments and criticisms about this class.

>Shadow sorcerer and Undying light nerfed till being unusable
Thanks wotc.

By any pure chance, would any of you have a decent Trove/File of Decent Paper minis :

Printable Heroes (Patreon stuff)
Zen Miniatures
Paper Forge

I'm partial to the facing rules. But I suggest you get some DM experience before using optional rules. Especially if your to dumb to figure out what's "cancer"

Okay so this stuff looks cool, but while being Fantasy Iron Man is radical as shit I don't know if that stuff is balanced

Also, little details like not specifying damage type here and there, there's a few typos and such. I'm too tired to tell you them all, sorry

>facing
too much shit to bother with already

plus how do you even tell? minis don't have faces and the poses are often interpretable.

somewhat related: yashima is a fighting board game and facing is absolutely key. the mini figures with the game are all twisted in martial arts poses and no feet face the same as body the same as face. it's a bit maddening.

>which optional rules from the DMG

whiteboard and fabric rulers is protier. I was a little freaked out about pitching my framed maps and giving up all the squares and preprinted terrain but it's gone over amazingly.

Thank you, user! If you can expand on these thoughts (with some examples) I will send them to the developer.

I have a player who is about to test out the Warsmith/Iron Man subclass.
From what I can see it does not seem too bad, Shocking Grasp cantrip, martial weapons with extra attack, 18 AC, and a couple of combative spell options for the half caster. Seems solid.

Jesus Christ why are the majority of women in this hobby disgusting ham planets?

Why do you care?

My group is going through Lost Mines atm.
They are almost ready to delve into wave echo cave.
They have already said that they want to continue playing their characters even after it ends.

Should I change the ending of Lost Mines and lead them into the TAZ storyline?
>inb4 hurrrr taz is shit muh tumblr

Cause I dislike BO.

>I will send them to the developer.

to be fair the majority of men are also

I don't know what is the ending of lost mines?

>tfw qt3.14 in my group

>implying you can smell it over the male players

What did he mean by this?

Friends who are good at power balancing? Or as a portfolio to Wizards?

ok before I warp the fuck out of these to make districts what other areas/districts does a walled town need?

The person who is making the class.

"With hard work and a little luck, the adventurers have
defeated the Black Spider and undone his destructive
plots, cleared Phandalin of the ruffians who threatened its
people, and reclaimed the lost mine of Wave Echo Cave.
Their deeds will be long remembered in this corner of the
Sword Coast. In years to come, the restored mines of the
Phandelver's Pact will bring great riches to Phandalin and
help establish peace and prosperity in the area.
Gundren and Nundro Rockseeker take over
administration of the new mine. For the adventurers'
service to their family, they gladly award the party a 10
percent share of the mine's profits. If the characters want
to remain in Phandalin and perhaps restore Tresendar
Manor or establish homes of their own, the people of the
area are glad to have them stay. Even if they choose to
move on in search of new adventures, they'll always have a
warm welcome in Phandalin.
By the end of the adventure, the characters should be
5th level. If your players wish to continue playing their
characters, you can use the contents of this set to create
your own adventures; the mysterious map found in area 14
of Wave Echo Cave provides one possible adventure hook,
but feel free to explore other ideas using the monsters,
magic items, and locations in this adventure. If you want
to create adventures for characters higher than 5th
level, you'll need the basic rules online or the advanced
rulebooks: the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's
Guide, and Monster Manual."

EIther I change that ending and lead into TAZ which I think is a great storyline, or I do another module after that.

this. I never can understand how can the Sunless Citadel takes less than 3 sessions (character creation incl)

a wizard
some casters
that's literally all it needs to be self-sufficient

>Should I change the ending of Lost Mines and lead them into the TAZ storyline?
I guess if you really, *really* want to, go ahead, but I say blaze your own path with your own campaign (and naturally, change the ending of the adventure to suit that as you like). At least for me that end of things is half the fun of GMing.
And I think you'd inevitably end up telling your own story regardless. A die roll being different here and there will send you down radically different paths if you do try and follow their campaign. But in my experience there's always less friction when you intend to tell your own story from the start.

Which doesn't mean you can't pillage the Balance campaign for stuff to play with, or simply callbacks. Like, you could have the session after Phandelver start in a town called Rockport (where there's an innkeeper by the name of Tom Bodett...), or have a group with a moon airship (that may or may not allow dogs...), without trying to tell the same story.

>but I say blaze your own path with your own campaign
While I would love to do that, this is my first time DMing and I don't think I'm quite ready for my own campaign yet.
I am working on creating a world and campaign but it's nowhere near being done in time for when they finish LMoP.
I just don't know if I should do one of the available modules, which they definitely don't know, or play the Balance campaign, which they might have started listening to since playing D&D for the first time, but I doubt it.

Pick another ready made campaign or two and hit them with it.

What said. Basically just delay the point where you start jumping the tracks. And just by shaking up or reinventing some details you can really make it your own before you're comfortable in coming up with adventures out of whole cloth.

They have weird goat/frog/octopus pupils now, when activated the pupil closes, overtaken by a near-pastel glimmer covering the whole eye

Since TAZ was already mentioned: It's been a while since I listened. Could one of you guys reminde me when their "real life" was? Was it before they left on the starship or when they came to this world?
Like was their childhood back on their home planet and that's the only part they remember or did they come here and they were false memories to account for the memory loss?

>creating a world and campaign
you don't start with a world and campaign
you start with few ideas for a session and see which bait they bite then worry about the next session

you're not making a canned adventure with every possibility written out in advance, you're making a session at a time world and eventually supporting a theme/series of events supported by the player choices.

my group having met decided to walk halfway around the world through the burning sands of an impassable desert. they've made it one day down the road and aren't even to their second town yet, which I haven't made because I expected them to go ANY other direction.

now if I'd written a whole campaign arc based on them going NORTH not SOUTH and taking a ship from Stonegate, with great high seas adventure, desert islands and kraken babes sucking down whole shipsloads worth of dirty seamen, where would I be?

Their backstory happend after all of them lost their memory, so when they came to the world the podcast takes place in.

How does that work with them remembering their family though (at least in Taako's case)?
They certainly weren't in the "real" world, so are those memories false?

Their "real lives" covered modified versions of their past before joining Institute, and what they did after their memories got wiped.

Haven't read anything but I like where you've gone with it. The existing artificer feels kind of weird, I like that you've removed the mechanical servant and made a 3rd archetype.

Still, the whole thing feels 'too much'. Most archetypes don't offer this many options, or if they do, they hide them behind the class feature 'spellcasting'.

I wonder if the artificer wouldn't be better done as a full caster or a casting progression like the Bard. The Arcane Trickster progression it has is way too slow, might as well not exist.

Oh, and while we're considering re-works, Gunsmith, Golemaker and Alchemist could probably be their own classes?

maybe is right then

Real memories from home world, but Taako just assumed he lost touch with them around the time he started his cooking show.

Aaah yeah like that dog thing and the three suns.

I'm not the person who made this class, I'm just trying to get your criticisms to the person who does so they can make adjustments to make it better.

>Haven't read anything but I like where you've gone with it. The existing artificer feels kind of weird, I like that you've removed the mechanical servant and made a 3rd archetype.
I like this too, he has some ideas of adding a lot more subclasses to the list like these: Wandsmith, Weaponsmith, Alchemist, Golem Rider, Self-Forged, and a Gagetteer. Its a lot, and I hope they turn out okay.

>Still, the whole thing feels 'too much'. Most archetypes don't offer this many options, or if they do, they hide them behind the class feature 'spellcasting'.
>I wonder if the artificer wouldn't be better done as a full caster or a casting progression like the Bard. The Arcane Trickster progression it has is way too slow, might as well not exist.

I see where you are coming from, the way the class works is similar to the Eldritch Invocations from the Warlock except here the Upgrades are even more important, dictate how your character will turn out and cannot be changed without money and time. Also, this is half-caster, so it's not all about spell casting, it's a bit of a combination of the specialized items and magic. Personally I like it a lot more than just them being a full caster.

>Oh, and while we're considering re-works, Gunsmith, Golemaker and Alchemist could probably be their own classes?

Hmm.. I think you could possibly make these as their own class, but with the existence of the Artificer in general, I think they would work fine as a subclass for it. Regardless if its the Offical version or re-works. Its kinda like asking for a strength focused monk class when you could just make it a subclass of something else its not that unique/big enough.

Thank you so much, I will send these comments to the creator of the brew.

Yes. A real memory that he had always remembered. But that was first time in years he remembered the exact details.

Is Tomb of Annihilation difficult or is it a meme?

Is it fun?

I heard it was made by Gygax to kill off players that had used previous supplements for gods to get divine loot.

Congratulations, you're a literal retard.

I would also like to know if this version is the meat grinder of old or if it's pretty much like the other adventures.

Rolled 5 (1d20)

Don't mind me, rolling to seduce.

You autists realize ToA is not just the tomb don't you?

The tomb in ToA actually makes conceptual sense and makes for a fun albeit challenging delve, and more importantly wasn't designed by a autistic retard who was butthurt that his players were smarter than him.

Guy who asked here, I assumed you would know I meant the module as a whole

I am extremely sleep deprived and posted a rumor I heard while trying to be helpful. Sorry it upset you.

>I roll to persuade

Excuse you and every other player who does this but no the absolute fuck you don't

You say what the fuck you want to say to the NPC, THEN I tell you to roll. This isn't even a DM powertrip, it's common fucking sense. What you choose to say should effect the DC of the roll.

If you're trying to persuade a guard to give you access to an area, the DC will be higher if you say some things, lower for others, and it may not even fucking REQUIRE a check if you just say the right thing.

Play it, it's fun, autist.

Actually be helpful, you autistic fuck.

So, I'm a 2e and Pathfinder veteran DM who recently got pressured by his old group to learn and run 5e. I'm looking at these XP requirements for leveling, and that looks like a MASSIVE jump in leveling rate. Did Wizards just get tired of people choosing the Fast xp tracks, or is XP meant to reset back to 0 with each level now?

>played PF
You poor, autistic shit.
Congratulations on moving to an actually well designed system.

Late for "Hit Points are a pool of points you spend when you get hit to say 'nuh uh, ' and it's up to you to fill in the blank if it bothers you so much."

It was that, or keep inflicting 2e's conflicting systems on myself. That, and in my limited experience with 3e, Pathfinder seemed to be like 3e, but not absolutely ass.

Just mostly ass, and requiring that you not play it with min-maxxers.

>plus how do you even tell? minis don't have faces and the poses are often interpretable.
pick a side of mini to count as front, put small mark on that side of base. How did you not think of this yourself?

We played PF and even DMed PF for a bit, never fucking again. That system is absolute ass. Some of the fluff is amazing but as far as systems go, PF is a complete fucking waste of time.
But yeah, awesome that you're learning about and running 5e. 5e is a system where you can actually be creative, make shit up on the fly, wing it and it all works really well.

And in 5e, the power discrepancy between min-masters and non min-maxers is much lower. Everyone can equally contribute, unlike in Assfinder.

You're experienced in 5e, then? Any idea if the intent for xp is to have it reset to 0 with each level? Or do you really just level that absurdly fast?

>Did Wizards just get tired of people choosing the Fast xp tracks

That.

> or is XP meant to reset back to 0 with each level now?

NOT THIS!!!

Also, please please please break yourself out of the old paradigm that it should take literal years of real time to gain a handful of levels in D&D. Be honest with yourself and realize that most campaigns burn out way sooner. I would advocate even faster level advancement than what 5e suggests.

Me and a friend want to meme build.

>2 kobolds from a tribe whose dragon got murdered goes out on a quest to find a new leader
>Finds a random dragon born in town represented by a skilled hireling, and drag him along on adventures
>Even though he's shit and will most likely keep the stats of a common bandit or thug, the two kobolds use all their powers to keep buffing and reviving him, forcing him to become a hero of legend.

We're thinking cleric and sorcerer. What are the best support spells?

>I'm looking at these XP requirements for leveling, and that looks like a MASSIVE jump in leveling rate.
First, you are probably only comparing on part of the leveling rate math and getting an inaccurate reading as a result. Yes, the XP numbers needed are lower, but a lot of the XP gain numbers are also lower.

Second, 5th edition's leveling charts are intentionally tuned to different speeds - the first few levels zip by quickly so you can get to the "sweet spot" of characters being able to do shit without fear of random spike death but still not having such a variety of traits at their disposal to make it "too hard" for half-ass DMs to figure out how to keep the game-play fun. Then leveling slows down so that "sweet spot" stretches out just about as long as most campaigns survive, before it picks up the pace again so that it doesn't actually take an unreasonably long amount of time or the DM handing out random XP bonuses to make it to level 20 if you want to play that part of the game.