media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Gone, but not forgotten:

Would you play a dwarf monk, making lots of their race traits useless (proficencies for armor and weapons)?

Other urls found in this thread:

dandwiki.com/wiki/Hunter,_Variant_(5e_Class)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I would not play a dwarf martial. I would not play a martial.

Dwarf warlocks are fun though.

but... but... little stubby arms hitting real hard. imagine it.

Personally I don't like dwarves or monks.

But I have made a half orc wizard once

Heavy armour movement is mostly useless in most situations anyway since you get +2 str if you go mountain dwarf so in the specific case you're an archer fighter you can probably hit 15 str and ultimately you've been slowed by 5ft anyway
maybe on a cleric is matters
Weapon porficiency never mattered
armour proficiency never mattered when you could level dip cleric

However, a dwarf monk only gives at most +1 wis which does not help a monk much at all
a monk wants as much +dex +wis as possible

>a monk wants as much +dex +wis as possible

so the only race viable as a monk is the woodelf?

Just play a monk in armor and pick up a decent weapon.
Who cares about martial arts or unarmored movement?
You still have your bonus action options and evasion and stunning strike.

I'm aware that those are the abilities you want, but then again our group is coming from other RPGs which focus on roleplaying way more. It's not about squeezing every little advantage out of the rules for us.

Maybe I'll roll well and still be fine.

Though for some reason I'm not that happy with the traits going to waste.

Or human, variant human, and aarakocra if you're a scumbag.

Is that something people do?

Level 1 would still be a complete waste. A whole wasted level is a pretty serious drag.

Usually no, it was something that crept up a couple weeks ago, highlighting that a monk in armor is entirely functional.

Half elf and Kenku too

I will never play a dwarf, period.

Heres hoping next UA is Dwarf subraces so we can play Dwarven Drunken Masters they way Moradain intended

>Rolling for stats
Please don't
Tell your DM to fuck off and play 5e instead of whatever weird system determines how relevant you are by a roll at the start of the game

Monk is the most stat-dependent class in the game. They get exponentially worse / better in all aspects the further you deviate from their regular stats.

So I was just reading through Xanathar's and the Arcane Archer seems pretty crazy. Anybody tried one in an actual game setting yet?

I didn't save the picture, but someone had a screengrab of all monk class features and highlighted the ones you can't use in armour. I think there were three total. Personally, that makes me want to play a fancy lad version of a Fighter via the Kensei, although the Battlemaster remains the fanciest lad when it comes to wearing armour and hitting someone with a weapon.

>Would you play a dwarf monk, making lots of their race traits useless (proficencies for armor and weapons)?

How else is my str monk gong to get proficient in plate mail?

Why not? Sure, it might go badly. But I also have the chance to get more out of it.

We allow all three options, the ability set, rolling for it and the stat buy. Player's choice.

But user, dwarfs don't give you proficiency in plate.

I just realized that, out of all the issues with the UA Artificer, the thing that stands out to me as a testament to its quality is that their final ASI happens at level 18 instead of 19 like literally everyone else.

It's because they get 4th level spells at level 19. That counts as a new feature in itself, so they dropped the ASI to 18.

They're just one feat away from one.
What, you're going to use your ASI on Wis you're not going to use?

>all three options
So you're even moor stupid than the usual roll fags. Why don't you just never post here again.

>Allow all three choices
This is a shit decision
'Oh, we'll allow everything, everyone will be happy then!'
Rolling for stats is objectively better than point buy
Point buy is objectively better than standard array
The only reason you would go for point buy instead of rolling for stats is if you're playing a very specific character such as a monk and you're okay with sacrificing a 70% chance of being overpowered to remove the 30% chance to become a joke. Statistically, rolling for stats is better and if you roll for stats you can usually just turn yourself into a 'I don't need stats' class with poor stats, if you know what you're doing.
Rolling for stats is for powergamers, basically.

5e was not designed with rolling for stats in mind.

Now I'm sad. Still mountain dwarf monk is best monk.

Monks still have uses for wis outside of AC. Got to get that stunning DC up my dude.

Can you come up with an actual argument, instead of being rude?

Shit, I thought their DC was Dex or something, let's pretend I said Dex instead of Wis and look clever.

>objectively better
>admits there is a 30% chance of ruining your character
That isn't how words work.

But y tho.

But then again rolling would allow me to play something like a dwarf monk for example. A race that has stat bonuses that don't synergize with the class very well. A lucky roll and I'm still fine.

>There is a 30% chance on a specific class that you will ruin your character, in which case just multiclass into moon druid and you're completely fine

I allow my players both options too. As a DM I have a very loose style. Letting playerse pick between rolling and point-buy/standard is a good way to easily figure out which ones are interested in mechanics and safe choices and which ones would like critical fumbles/successes

Yes, but it would still be willingly gimping yourself when you could have been a 20 dex monk at level 1 and basically fucked everything up.

Jesus Christ. I mean I've been in a game where you could pick from 3 methods of rolling one of which was mathematically superior (dm had math retardation) but even he want stupid enough to mix point buy and rolling.

Also pretending that standard array is a separate choice and not just a single variant of point buy is laughable.

That's a good point. We also make sure that everybody understand what he's getting into with each variant. I think that is important as well.

>5e was not designed with rolling for stats in mind.
Rolling for stats is still default option in PHB. Point Buy and Array are variants.

Also note, that average roll on 4d6 drop lowest is 12,24, entirely in line with Array or Pointbuy. Higher highs and lower lows are what makes it unbalanced. (And the fact a lot of DMs allow reroll to someone who rolled poorly.)

Yeah well, that's not what we're about. Coming from other systems we feel that you become a fucking god with time in DnD anyway.

There are not three options and mixing rng stats and point buy is stupid. Do players also get to take 10 and use average damage whenever they want? I really want to know what systems you played where this shit seemed like a good idea.

I used to ask players to "roll, but if you don't like result, point buy instead".

>Rolling for stats is still default option in PHB. Point Buy and Array are variants.

Doesn't mean it was designed around rolling for stats. And if it was, then they managed to accidentally make a game balanced around non-rolled stats when they were trying to balance it around rolled stats, which is hilarious.

>Also note, that average roll on 4d6 drop lowest is 12,24, entirely in line with Array or Pointbuy. Higher highs and lower lows are what makes it unbalanced. (And the fact a lot of DMs allow reroll to someone who rolled poorly.)
Pretty much.
All I remember is that the average total stat of rolling for stats is definitely above point buy (I'll go prove it next post if I have to) but what really matters is the fact you can get higher stats than point buy.
Also the fact that if you wanted pointbuy you wanted party balance, and if someone decided to roll stats instead you've immediately ruined party balance for the pointbuy fag even though they didn't roll for stats.

Implying that array somehow doesn't.

I'm confused by your utter lack of understanding user.

Heavily Armored feat for proficiency and +1 STR is well worth it for such character.

How is a 15 in DEX good enough for a monk when people here are implying that I should aim for that juicy 20 in DEX with another race?

>what he's getting into with each variant.

Explain then. Especially about the difference between standard array and point buy. I'm literally fascinated with what you think now.

Also i like how you've never mentioned how you roll for stats. It's like you're a baby a don't know anything matters. Super cute.

>Rolling for stats is still default option in PHB. Point Buy and Array are variants.
Half-true. Rolling and the array are both listed under the main section for determining ability scores. Point-buy is the one explicitly labelled as a variant.

Nah, we don't use the average damage or monster hit points. Then again players are allowed to take the average hit point improvement on a level up instead of rolling.

Do you have an argument other than "it's stupid"?

Because 5e is bounded accuracy system. There is a legit reason you can't point buy above 15. Being a good is boring, which is why most people don't play past 10.

Also the people on here don't play they just theorize how they would if they ever did.

People actually roll monster hit points?

It doesn't make sense to mix them. Do you have an argument for why to have them all besides its what we do?

The reason most people don't play past 10 is because it takes like 2 years of consistent play to get there.

I take maximum, because my players had to take GWM and Sharpshooter.

It basically boils down to the totals you can achieve with different variants. The standard array being 72 if I remember correctly. Those two extremes for the point buy the PHB states with the 15-15-15-8-8-8 being under 72, 13-13-13-12-12-12 being above that.

But please, enlighten the baby. Tell me the *truth*. It's your turn now.

It felt right.

How do you do it?

So the dm just decides when shit dies? What's the point of even having stats then?

Shit DM detected.

Reread that post.

No, it's bad

>dwarf
Who actively chooses to be short? That is just incomprehensible that you'd volunteer for manletdom.

Short? What are you talking about? I'm EXACTLY the right height.

>Not raising the monsters' AC instead, balancing PCs with -5/+10 feats with those who doesn't have them

My fighter is 72
Well my rogue is 74
What the fuck

Can we please go back to how wizards are superior to martials in ever conceivable way?

I just watched Thor: Ragnarok, AMA.

Is it the smartest marvel movie?

Nah. Fucking enlighten me now.

In 5e point buy.

Any other system I prefer rolling if the method isn't broken (5d6 reroll 1s) which is why it matters.

My true preference is 3d6 down the line in a system that doesn't have flaws are actually a feature! sjw bullshit but nobody actually plays that way any more.

No, but its tons of fun, the soundtrack is great, and now I want to play a lightning-something.

>Also pretending that standard array is a separate choice and not just a single variant of point buy is laughable.
It is though, by RAW you can't use point buy without DM's permission

The totals aren't a good metric to work by at all. Just think, the 13-13-13-12-12-12 distribution is actually going to be significantly worse for most characters than 15-15-15-8-8-8.

We dont use monster hit points is what it says. If you think it says something else you shouldn't have passed English.

Played a life cleric tonight, good mix of healing and buffs, plus it can take a bit of a beating.

Any other subclasses of cleric any of you have played and enjoyed?

>the 13-13-13-12-12-12 distribution is actually going to be significantly worse for most characters than 15-15-15-8-8-8.
Just throw mind flayers and intellect devourers at the PCs, no one will dump INT again

Tempest is a blast.

Any suggestions on how to refluff Eldrich Sight Invocation?

help me /5eg/. I've got a campaign starting tonight and I'm not set on build. The build I was pretty sure I was running turned out to be a fucking nightmare of a balance problem, so I need a new one

I'm trying to play an ambush fighter. Real guerrilla warrior, blood and grit kinda character. All UAs open, all PHBs, multiclassing open.

I was thinking revised ranger with points into rogue for assassin, but I dunno.

halp

Interesting concept from a DMing perspective.

Explain

But you can build the standard array using point buy so standard array is part of point buy and not a separate choice.

>Who actively chooses to be short? That is just incomprehensible that you'd volunteer for manletdom.
I do, albeit not Dwarves. I mostly play Gnomes or Halflings.
Small guys beating up big guys is just aesthetically rad to me.

>player vs DM
Really though, a single enemy type that you'll have -2 to saves against isn't going to be enough to make a player want to redo their stats.

I have a hard time making myself play the short races but dwarves in d&d actually aren't all that short. I'd probably play one to be a battlerager barbarian at least, +2 str +2 con mountain dwarf is pretty legit

I've been considering a halfling though just for the novelty barbarian/druid multiclass, so that I've got a tiny little guy who rages and turns into a bear. I'd probably have him be perfectly civilized outside of combat just to play up the dichotomy. plus ghostwise halfling has telepathy so you can still talked as a bear

Sorry, I forgot that English was a makeshift language at best.

Once again then, only for you.

We don't use the AVERAGE damage or AVERAGE monster hit points.

No one is this dumb. That's not possible.

Light and Tempest are fun too

>But you can build the standard array using point buy
Only if your DM allow it

To what? You're insisting on being ignorant, nothing is going to beat that. You don't even know what you're arguing, how can you be enlightened? If you wanted to know you'd start by trying to understand instead of just acting like you won some argument by being perpetually stupid.

Depends entirely on why you want to refluff it in the first place.

just want to throw in my personal perspective in that I go for rolling stats whenever possible in order to try get a better foundation for suboptimal race/class combos, multiclasses, or other character concepts. Rolling is not always just about trying to get 20s in your main stats at level 1

take 13-13-13-12-12-12 as a human, get +1 to each. it doesn't get more human than being totally average in everything. sounds like good roleplaying to me.

>numbers are roleplaying

>a single enemy type that you'll have -2 to saves against isn't going to be enough to make a player want to redo their stats.
Failing a ST against an intellect devourer means death

Ok. I understand now that I am wrong. Because that is what I get told here. Can we take the next step now?

The first post that actually tried to have an argument is
The rest stops after telling me that it's either stupid or that I'm wrong.

>Not taking 13-13-13-13-13-10 instead

Not really, interesting dming comes from tough decisions not "Do whatever" and the standard array gives you all the information about min maxers without as much potential for having one god like player.

You're not wrong your dm is wrong.

That's because intellect devourers are the worst designed monster in the game.

Besides, the player will only care if they failed that saving throw by the really narrow margin where slightly higher int would have helped, and will only not dump int by that logic if they think they'll be fighting the little fuckers all the time in the future since they're one of like two monsters that it matters for at all.

But whyyyyyyyyyy though?

Oh boy, looks like a GM in the game I'm about to play in has just approved of a DnDWiki class for a player.

dandwiki.com/wiki/Hunter,_Variant_(5e_Class)

I just feel like this is way too much.