Medieval America 2

"Sire, it seems that several peasants have begun a mass exodus to the province of Oregon"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=as_0Ba1MLzg
youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
revolutionspodcast.com/2014/02/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Medieval America needs a Holy Roman Empire-esque nation set around the great lakes. Columbus can be the Capitol

We must reclaim the holy land from the Ohioans! Michigan Vult!

Be quite Detroitfag we don't want you to blow our nation's budget on pop culture statues. Even Tim Allen can't convince me to go to Michigan.

Also you're Wolverines are shit. Go Bucks!

You will address the province of Oregon as a member of the sovereign power of the Cascadian Commonwealth or not at all. In Cascadia we are all equal as nobles, our King is an elected official, and our peasantry’s burgomeisters also get votes, even if they only ever vote for annoying peasant things.

I always saw it more of a fair rivalry. Like, we have our squabbles but the moment someone threatens one of us the other would help.

As a Michigander, le me be the first to say our state is a pile of shit, its only redeemable feature being the lakes and beaches.

If it weren't for Inidianus, I would say it's the worst state in the Midwest.

You’re confusing what a proper Holy Roman Empire would do anyway; you wouldn’t ally with someone just because you thought it was a good idea, you’d go in there and kill them if they disagreed.
That’s kind of what an Empire does, and border states of the HRE got fought over by other powers all the time.

As someone who's lived in all 3 states, the sheer hated Indiana has for Ohio is weird as fuck.

Ohio/Michigan have this hate/love thing going on, where like you hate the other sports-wise but it's not really MALICIOUS.

The people in Indiana on the other hand will bring up Ohio and insult it in conversions that have nothing to due with it, like they actually HATE it. They act as if it's some backwater shithole despite basically being same culture-wise. (IMO Ohio is actually better. 1000x better parks, museums, etc.)

I do as well user, that's why I gave you shit about it. Columbus is still the better capitol, though. It was designed for it. Detroit can be the major port city of the new Great Lake Kingdoms.

That's because Indiana is a Great Lakes state but doesn't have much of its own identity, Ohio, Michigan, & even Wisconsin have sports & industry & culture, Indiana just has corn

Those damned southern Jersey scum. Bad enough their treachery cost us the extermination of the shore, but now they flee from the devil's hordes? Should we fall now the barren's Baron will soon be wiping his ass with the east coast.
Call upon those who will aid. We SHALL hold this line! Men! To the pines we go!

I think it's feasible for a Medieval America to have a "Great Lakes Hanseatic Trading Alliance", composed of Chicago, Detroit, and Columbus, which could easily control much of the trade flow from East-to-West. They could also put a lot of trading pressure on goods bound south via the Mississippi River.

>TFW I was brainstorming a post apolyptic America where humanity gets blasted back centuries right about these last 2 threads.

"M'lords, a hawk has arrived from the Needle of the Heavens. The Seattle Guard calls for aid... they say Bellingham has already fallen. What word do I send back?"

Tell me about it. I live in Indiana and it's pretty much just a mishmash of Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, and Kentucky.
Actually mostly just Kentucky with more meth and corn.

A medieval Toledo War 2.0 could be interesting.
Or it could end the same way with no one dying and someone getting non-fatally stabbed.

Ohio then retains control over the Toledo Strip and all the troubles it holds for the Duchy of Ohio with it's occasionally rebellious Toledoans.

Yeah, here in Ohio we have fancy drugs like heroin

Oklahoman here. (White since we took it from the Indians) A-Are there any cool Oklahoma factions in this thread of hard working farm/prairie people?

What are yall's opinions on Stirling's ember-verse? Tho his plots are pretty tropey and contrived, he's (to my knowledge) the author who's put the most thought into medieval america.

But they still have lasers right?

I think the general opinion is without the actual formal power of a modern centralized republican government, Texas would've just invaded and annexed Oklahoma from the start.

But there was a standoff before where Oklahoma won. Not only that but a lot of the people who settled Oklahoma are former Texans themselves.

We, the Swamp Folk of Florida, will take no more insults to our pride, you will pay the tolls, or suffer the CONSEQUENCES

CONSEQUENCES?! Surely you jest! For while your army may have defeated the Volunteer Regiments of Tennessee upon the open field, we shall now fight in the woods as our ancestors did and take righteous vengeance in the form of snipers and traps. We shall not pay your tolls any longer Floridian! Now, you shall pay ours!

Where is this art from?

I feel like it isn't a hostile take over more of a mutual partnership. Oklahoma & Texas join forces.

Oh god...I dream of the Texoma Republic

*Blocks your Manifest Destiny*

Indiana's an I state, so it's a hotbed of white supremacy to boot.

If it makes you feel any better, Ohioans (pronounced minus the second O) unflinchingly loathe Kaintucks like they fucked all six pretty girls in Ohio instead of their own sisters.

*old Indian tricks behind you*
Nothing personal, paleface.

*unzips tomahawk*
youtube.com/watch?v=as_0Ba1MLzg

>TFW I was brainstorming a post apolyptic America where humanity gets blasted back centuries right about these last 2 threads.
Read this.

pretty sure it's a Veeky Forums drawfag

muh lord, a raven intercepted from the gate of gold to the duchy of angles, they request aid in their vile struggle of reformation.

Fook the yankees

Get the fuck out, Br-orc. Tea belongs in harbors, not in cups.

Will do brother!

No. Let it end at one thread. Don't do this user.

>medieval america
>not early 1900s divided america

It's like you don't even want constant trench warfare on the mason-dixon line

It sadly doesn't exist anymore. The person who made it took down their pictures and their deviantart. It was supposed to be some kind of colonial monster hunter - the musket is magic.

I can't even remember what the authors handle was. Wish they hadn't sudoku'd

Trying to pander to the morons in drawthreads is a losing battle, so I'm not surprised it took his toll.

Is Bog Roll still around? He hasn't really been active since the shitstorm that was that Drow Bard.

Was that what happened?

His dA doesn't mention specifics, but his title for that work is "Drow Bard (Veeky Forums shitpost generator).

I know I'd be frustrated if I couldn't update my work without it derailing the thread.

What could you really even insult about Ohio, anyway? There's nothing wrong with it, except the snow and the rain. They've even got Drew Carrey, and I've personally always wanted to visit the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

>What could you really even insult about Ohio, anyway?
youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

>What could you really even insult about Ohio, anyway?

I was just making a reference to a Bowling for Soup song, but that video is pretty fucking funny.

Milord, an envoy claiming to be from the high king of the horse lords of the Great Plains has arrived. He says the high king will lend 1500 riders to our cause if you promise him the hand of your daughter.

As a Clevelander, this isn't insulting. This is fucking hilarious.

Damn, their art was part of what inspired me to make this setting.

>Clevelander
When's your next domestic assault arraignment?

Look I know you're pissed I beat your ass, but if you're that desperate for attention, I've got a couple of buckeyes you can choke on.

I thought it was super great too. On the bright side I think/hope they do professional work now.

Rather than produce a nonsense setting whole cloth based on modern concepts of states, why not in fact, base the Thirteen* Kingdoms of Normerica on the actual original Thirteen* colonies? Each had a very distinct culture and mindset pre-revolution, and was essentially each their own colony state.

First, the New England colonies. Settled by Puritans who everyone and their mom knows weren't REALLY oppressed - they got pissed at the king forcing Anglicanism on everyone (this would lead to the first English Civil War). So they moved to Holland. Deciding they didn't like the Dutch, then they moved to the New World, sponsored by Puritan nobility who wanted to create a new nation* of religious freedom*. All of the New England colonies tended towards theocracy and trans-Atlantic trade.

>Massachusets
The original hardcore puritans

>Conneticut
Founded by men looking for more religious freedom than allowed by Massachusetts

>Rhode Island
Men who wanted even MORE freedom than allowed by the others. RI was the most independent minded and anarchic, and seldom moved in the same way as the other colonies even when they were supposedly in concordance (such as opposing Parliaments taxes). When the other colonies tried to boycott English goods, RI undercut everyone else and took them, until the other colonies started boycotting THEM, forcing them to play ball.

>New Hampshire
Mostly small farming hamlets cut off from each other by the terrain
cont

The 'Middle' colonies: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware. Their economies were a mix of trade and agriculture. The western frontier was populated by small farmers, and the coast dominated by merchants. There was often conflicts between these two groups.

>New York
Originally founded by the Dutch who built it for the Fur Trade. Lost to the English in part of a peace settlement for a War they lost. Aside from trade, New Yorks economy was dominated by what were essentially large feudal estates where land owners had great authority over their tenant farmers and employees.

>New Jersey
Colonized by the Swedes, later absorbed by the Dutch, then handed over to the English because of that war. The King gave it to his brother, who made it a Proprietary colony. Which essentially means that rather than being directly managed by the crown, large tracts of land were sold or leased to private estates, individuals, and companies. This led to a series of legal and literal battles as early settlers clashed with the larger corporate settlers, often violently.

>Pennsylvania
Granted to William Penn by the King to pay debts. Penn was a Quaker, and a pacifist, and founded his colony to reflect this. They generally got along with the natives or tried to treat them fairly, which would later become an issue - the Quakers did not remain the religious majority for long as Lutherans began to settle along the borders, which brought them into constant violent clashes with the natives. The Pennsylvania government however was pacifist in nature and centered around the religious minority of the Quakers, leading to internal division until the Quakers were forced out of power - or rather, they abdicated, admitting they could not maintain control due to their pacifist ethics.

>Delaware
Source of the *, as it was not technically a colony - it was part of the Pennsylvania land grant. However, Penn allowed it to self govern, and it was considered it's own colony by most.

The Southern Colonies were primarily agricultural, and their economies were inexorably linked with Indentured Servants and Slaves

>Maryland
Formed from land that belonged to Lord Baltimore, a devout catholic. Unlike the Puritans, the Catholics actually WERE persecuted in England, and they TRIED to found a catholic refuge there. Unfortunately, it flooded with Protestant settlers, making it the second (after RI) colony to allow true religious freedom

>Virginia
The so called 'Prussia' of America. The oldest, largest, and richest. It had the most fertile lands. Ironically, they couldn't grow enough food to sustain themselves, because they continually devoted their land to the cash crop tobacco, to the detriment of actually growing food. Resembled England closely in set-up. Also the only place where Anglicanism was popular. Also, everyone was HUGELY in debt, as everything was purchased on credit from England, which had to be payed due with each tobacco crop. Hence the lack of food.

>Carolinas
Originally one proprietary colony, but eventually split into two. Originally similar to virginia, but South Carolina got deep into the growth of Rice and Indigo. South Carolina was home of the only real "city" in the south, Charleston. The Southern colonies generally lacked large cities, because of the prevalence of navigable rivers, which allowed mass small scale trade without using a major port of call (besides Charleston)

>Georgia
The last colony, founded by a group of Utopians who wanted to use the colony to rehabilitate and employ the poor. Unfortunately, this group micromanaged Georgia excessively, and not very well either. Many Georgians would flee to Carolina to escape starvation or the oppressive conditions, until the colony would inevitably be given back to the Crown.

What would Florida Man be in this sort of world? A monster? A hero?

So are mormons pagans slaughtered by the millions?

GOOD.

>Acadia
I am complete! I didn't know that could happen though in Victoria 2 though. The only truly ridiculously thing I've done in the game was be Canada took the whole northern section of South America. From Grand Columbia down to the edges of Peru and deep into the Amazons of Brazil

There is a disturbing lack of deseret in this thread.

Great stuff, thanks!

>Rhode Island is another bunch of weirdos who like to take the piss
Brilliant, love it.

Hoo boy as someone from the area around the Skagit, this has got me all heated.

Thanks to some canals there is a direct link between the Mississippi and the Great Lakes

Could this be a viable setting for a wargame?

I don't see why not. I mean it might be a pain coming up for rules for all the different factions.

I mean, we could take a more /hwg/ towards wargame design when it comes to this.

>I didn't know that could happen though in Victoria 2 though.
This is a mod.

As a Michigander I would hope our medieval State would possess the largest fleet of freshwater warships.

You'd probably be using an historically-based wargame depending on what era of conflict you think the Medieval America should take place in.

Some of the pics shared here suggest a sort of pseudo-800-900s, some suggest a pseudo-1400-1600s, and some suggest more pseudo-Revolutionary Era. Yet more posts hint at magic whilst others don't.

You can't have Colonial America without firearms. It's an integral part of the themes therein.

Therefore a truly "Medieval (European)" America isn't workable.

Medieval America with firearms is at its best when combining all the raddest parts and aesthetics of various places of history.

America is a melting pot/fruit salad of cultures and peoples, after all.

Ehhhhh, there's still very distinctly American things even if their origins are from overseas. And the farther back we go in time, the more distinct some of those can be.

Remember, it's fantasy America/Medieval America, if you just throw in whatever you want with guns, you're just gonna end up with a mess that has nothing that really defines it as based on the US.

Pike and Shot warfare, fellas.

Most cultures kept to themselves, more or less. The only times they were a "melting pot" was when their interests aligned, such as when fighting the war of Independence.

The important part of Medieval America would be that the medieval-ness doesn't take over the America-ness.

Posts like are a good example. American cities with fantastical elements that suggest recognizable aspects of American cultures. It's still medieval fantasy, but anyone familiar with the PNW will recognize what's happening here.

That's why I said "/fruit salad." I know some people are particular to the difference.

Wars of Religion were dank as shit historical aesthetic. The Siege of Malta is still one of my favorite things to read about.

Pike and Shot warfare fits this pseudo-medieval America so much. Besides, it's a pretty big field - Italian Wars, Great Ottoman Wars, Russo-Polish Wars, Wars of Religion, War of Dutch Independence, English Civil War...

I think it would be more common for the richer areas, with the poorer areas making do, or other places working more with their environments. In particular, for example, the Midwest would be more cavalry-oriented; or the PNW would be more suited to skirmish warfare because of how broken and unsuited for mass combat the land is.

It's also a bit different if you're planning on running a wargame/setting with a degree with of magic. In settings with magic massed warfare tends to be less likely anyway; skirmishes and proper combat spacing are more likely.

As an Ohio boy, I'm proud to say that I don't give a single shit about Kentucky or any of you inbred mountain monkeys.

New England would be interested - sure, up north it may be difficult but down South it's set up for a lot of conflict, especially with New York and Pennsylvania.

I'm from the PNW. West of the mountains we'd fully embrace the forest ranger meme, I guarantee. We'd also have good mariners like with any coastal nation. If there were magic we'd also have a lot of druids.

East of the mountains you'd see a lot of cavalry and mounted infantry; the land is just too open for anything else.

>Columbus
>not Cleveland

Columbus is nothing but a backwater. It’s only relevance at all is as the Capital and as the home to the best wizardry school in the Midwest States.

Cleveland is a much better trading partner. It’s access to the Great Lakes and the Cuyahoga River, it’s foundaries and smiths and it’s class of elite tradesman make it the better choice to Columbus.

I like this, I advocate Columbus to be the place to be for magic, & the training & fielding of elite mages keeps the aggressive pushing of the New English at bay from the Great Lake Kingdoms

>universities are magical schools
The arcanists of Washington State would be exceptionally fearsome if they could stop using their magic for party tricks and date-rape.

The University in the coastal city of Santa Cruz is more a Druidic paradise, what with the entire campus being in the midst of a great redwood forest.

All my information comes from Mike Duncan, the dude who did the History of Rome podcast. Specifically, episode 2.1, bottom of this page
revolutionspodcast.com/2014/02/index.html

It's a pretty great source for light information on the times, though primarily devoted to the revolution and the events leading up to and surrounding it, since that is the whole point of the Revolutions podcast - various historical revolutions

>firearms
>not truly Medieval

Had America been settled just a century prior niggas woulda been using pikes and muskets

Even if we go with the version that has fantastical elements, we more-or-less know that some parts of at least the EastCoast would adopt traditions similar to the tercio.

Are you seriously saying that muskets are not firearms?

They are most certainly firearms. That's my point. Firearms are definitely Medieval.

Are you considering the years after 1600 to be "medieval"? I wouldn't.

Dude firearms existed before 1600. Even in Europe. They had matchlocks since like the mid-1400s.

They were using firearms on the 1500s, they were proeminently featured in the Italian Wars. Though that's more Francis I and Charles V and less Gustavus Adolphus and Maurice of Nassau.

Tнз Дlдskди Pцяcндsз шдs д мisтдkз! Bч Kiиg Sтдliи шз шill тдkз iт ьдck! FФЯ THЗ ЯФDIИД!

The Communists are not welcome no matter what era we live in, knaves.

Buckeyes are the best component for fireball/battle magic spells

West Virginia also hates Ohio for some reason. The implication is that people from Ohio are stupid which is fucking ironic.

I live in IL and even here people view Ohio as a shithole. It's kinda weird.

>B-Ham has fallen
>They were just too high and forgot to ring the alarm
>Great Empire of Cascadia's face