Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Orc Sharpshooter Edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/folder/5tkvawfzymmv9/Warcraft
moddb.com/mods/warcraft-kings-of-azeroth/
youtube.com/watch?v=8JYAF7QpNME
youtube.com/watch?v=hhufdvte3D0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for sexual debauchery with Thisalee Crow and harpies

Second for dismantling the language barrier.

Night elves, ladies and gentlemen.

RP-PvE servers only, supposedly.

>RP-PvE servers only, supposedly.
Supposedly? Are they doing it?

Reminder that OPM starts are the only real way to play.

I really want to play an asshole Gun-Paladin thanks to these guys.

Apparently they're switching from PvP servers to PvP shards you can opt in and out of at any time. Basically massive cross-server phases. So all RP servers will have no language barrier for /say, not sure about /yell because that would turn /yell into a de-facto zonechat of characters shitposting at the top of their lungs.

OPM Starts?

If you were to start up a grand strategy game and pick a large nation you'd be in the wrong or unfun position. The most interesting gameplay is derived from playing a "one province minor", and working up from there (which often depends on RNG and destiny as nearby neighbors tend to swallow neighbors at random in these generally Paradox games).

The fuck is the difference between a server and a shard?

There's little to no difference today with all of the cross-realm phasing.
RP servers don't have sharding, however, and everyone is from that one same server as in vanilla 2004.

Aight guys I like all yall a heck of a lot more than /v/ so I'll share something I put together a year ago.

mediafire.com/folder/5tkvawfzymmv9/Warcraft

It's not very complicated, just some race changes designed to emulate Warcraft Orcs and Humans in Frozen Throne. Also includes Night Elves with corresponding changes. Undead are unchanged so don't play them.

Recommended for people who are nostalgic for WC1 but don't want to put up with the pretty much impossible gameplay. Set the AI to Insane and don't forget to patch the latest version of TFT.

That mod any good?

No. The mod is extremely shallow. There are very, very few mechanics tied to the factions.
The author is basically a map-autist who's worked on like 5 different fantasy universes including ASOIAF and Fallout,

this one ought to be decent if it ever releases: moddb.com/mods/warcraft-kings-of-azeroth/

I have to admit to something, I've had a REALLY dumb idea intended partly for Irony where Agamaggan comes back and has Mankrik as his champion to kill the last of the crazy generations of Quilboar. It's stupid but I thought it almost fit since Agamaggan's ghost really didn't seem to see any non-mass-killing solution to the crazies and Mankrik's Cataclysm GF from that little Earthen-Ring (I think with Cenarion Circle help too) conclave in southern barrens did seem to be sorta-kinda calming him down.

I could have sworn they smashed a few RP servers together in shards or maybe just threatened to mash some of the smaller ones in with Moonguard and WRA and everyone panicked.

Who even is Agamaggan anyway?

Have the Quillboar ever been relevant to anything?

Back in Vanilla when questing in the Barrens took awhile, you'd get to know them rather well as a low-leveled member of the Horde. They also had a couple of pretty good dungeons.

curious!

They are coming back in BfA apparently. It really sucks that they didn't go with their original idea for WoD, where Garrosh builds an army of questing fodder.

RP realms had sharding for a long time, but this year it massively interfered with one of Moongaurd's annual public RP events; people couldn't see anyone, people phased in and put and random, all that shit.

I'm not sure if the devs actually care or if the reaction was just that fucking loud, but Blizz turned off sharding on all RP servers basically overnight.

Aganaggan was a Wild God who fought during the War of the Aincents. Like many others, he died and where his blood touched, thorns would sprout. That's why the Quillboars hang around giant thorns.

Heck, one of my biggest memories in WoW is as a draenei shaman my first serious character in BC got a quest to run to Rachet from Stonetalon on a PvP server, I was freaking out the whole way over (And Ironically one of the first things I stumbled on was Mankrik's wife.)

But one of the few things that stopped me was seeing a Quilboar settlement with these huge(ish) pigmen each nearly the size of my Draenei wandering around giant fucking thornvines. I took a while just looking over it before getting paranoid and running for Rachet.

The fact that I saw one of the larger varieties of Quilboar first is part of why I find it so strange leveling Horde characters since the versions in starting areas are fucking tiny.

It also formed unique blood crystals found in mining nodes all over the Barrens for use in some crafting recipies (Not the same as the probably-old-god-related Bloodstone which you find a lesser form of in Arathi and some Forsaken stole artifacts made from a pure form to bribe their way into Alliance Dalaran in vanilla before the former Orc internment camp they and their interrogators/contacts were staying at got blulldozed for a plants vs zombies game in Cata. Yes I'm still mad.)

ok anons dont hate me but what if blizz decided to make heroes of the storm an actual part of wow lore? i mean if we get a sc based expansion with terran, protoss and zergs followed up by a d3 one introducing angels and demons? how bad would that be?

People don't develop memories like that leveling anymore. It's a real indictment of how far the game's gone.

mcneck yourself

It's already part of it. Our Chromie remembers Nexus matches, it's Valhalla for our Varian (and probably Ragnaros too), and it's probably our Kel'Thuzad there, too, which explains where his phylactery went.

That'd be pretty retarded.

This.
Goes for you too.

I'm just going by the quotes and cinematics, user. Varian's HotS trailer is literally Jaina giving a eulogy for our Varian.

is it wrong wanting to RPing an archangel or demon in wow?

Yes, because angels don't really exist and demons have to deal with getting attacked by demon hunters now.

Feel free to roleplay anything you fucking want as long as it isn't in public or public knowledge.

But Warcraft 3 Jaina is in HotS.
But yes, they did just add old, angry, bitter Jaina skin.
And Dreadlord Jaina.

Does it bother anyone that Blizzard continues to retcon the Orcs as the good guys? Despite returning to Azeroth after shrugging off the yoke of the demons in order to punish the Alliance for ever fighting back?

Or you could learn to tell memes from canon sometimes, but necking yourself would probably be easier.

Don't be retarded; there have never been any good guys in human history... why would there be in Warcraft?

>Symmetrical wounds in left and right wings.

Those aren't wounds, they're vestigial pleasure holes.

Uh... liberals see the US, Britain and Russia as good in WW2. Conservatives see Germany and Italy as good in the same war. It's all subjective.

Everyone knows Metzen likes to hordewank. It's like becoming jaded to being raped, you know it's happening and there's nothing you can do to stop it, but your apathy says more than any kind of resistance.

How is a solemn eulogy, for a character who JUST died, a meme? Or do you really think Blizz wouldn't do it? The implications are clear.

Yes, because it's a nexus of timelines. Why would the canon timeline not be one of those timelines?

When has the Alliance ever been punished for anything?

My bad, thanks guys.

As a MoP babby who also got distracted with LfD when levelling after I found out you got good items from there , I missed a lot of this stuff.
So the Quillboar are a bigger deal than the Centaurs, but smaller than Player Factions?
How big a deal was Agamaggan in the Wild Gods Club?

I'm just saying that HotS should exist as its own thing, not trying to connect it to WoW.
HotS isn't a big moneymaker like WoW or Overwatch. They don't get the big budget.

>Despite returning to Azeroth after shrugging off the yoke of the demons in order to punish the Alliance for ever fighting back?
Ehwot?

Oh do you mean WoD? Garrosh basically tricked Grom into thinking that the whole Internment camp thing had turned into Blackthorne's slave army because he cut off the vision of the Main Universe right as he was starting to train Thrall.

Still WoD was horribly written. Metzen wanted to explore Draenor and the Frostwolves before retiring, and Kossak wanted to wank the 1st/2nd war.

The Night Elves get punished pretty bad for having the audacity to have been living on the continent the orcs want to live on.

Besides all those times the Alliance got punished for the Horde fucking up? Garrosh's entire stint as warchief comes to mind.

As far as Warcraft 3 and even vanilla WoW, they seemed quite equal.
Just one was more of a thorn to the orc's (quillboar) and the other to the tauren (centaur).

Because you're autistic. Varian's trailer for HotS came out before he died in Legion, does that mean he went to the Nexus before he died?

Or maybe you can stop being such a fucking child trying to see canon where there is none?

user, the interactions in the very tutorial are built around the fact that the Nexus is just dumb fun with no plot relevance to anything.

>this amount of reeeeing
>this amount of delusion as well

As awful as these threads get with faction fighting, this is just too good to not laugh at.

They also wanted to remind people who all the characters were who were part of Warcraft 1 so that the movie wasn't just one big run of "literally who?"

To the quilboar question: in-universe, arguable. Out of universe, probably. They were mainly a threat to the Horde. It's a bit hard to explain since a lot of Vanilla shit doesn't have a huge place in the lore and is mainly memorable for the ludonarrative generated by questing because back in the day questing was not only a large part of the game, but also rewarding in and of itself since it could actually challenge you at times.

Funny thing is, I've seen Hordefags get salty that the movie ended with the words "For the Alliance!" despite the orcs being the best part of the movie save Ben Foster's Medivh and being shown in a twenty times more positive light than their OG fluff from Warcraft suggests.

And yet I distinctly remember the Broken Shore cinematic being out before the HotS trailer. Then there's the lines in the Deaths of Chromie where she references it.

You're remembering it wrong, sorry.

As a hardcore dwarfaboo, the orcs really were the best part of that movie, but that's mostly because the humans, bar Khadgar and Medivh, had all the emotional expression of a wet paper towel.

The orcs were actually really entertaining to just watch.

Going back to WC3, the Alliance and more specifically the humans were always seen as "racist" for not liking the Orcs. Which is laughable criticism, as the Horde only came to Azeroth to kill and enslave the native people. I mean, how dare humans dislike the orcs?

That movie had so many problems, faction wank was amazingly the least awful of it. The entire movie feels like it's trying to have the Orcs be both the evil villains raping and pillaging while ALSO being the poor underdog leaving a bad situation.....which they caused on themselves. No demons blood and trickery to blame this time, just straight up stupidity. This whole thing feels like it would've worked so much better if it focused on the perspective on ONE side rather than constantly jumping back and forth between the Orc plotline and the awkward as fuck Human plotline. But I doubt even that would've worked cause then you would need to convince producers that 2 WC movies would be a good idea, never mind a single one.

Was strangely popular in China for some reason.

Hordefag here. My biggest gripes were:
>not enough Grom
>Orgrim was a Frostwolf

>tfw I didn't realize the "Hammerfall" town in Arathi referred to Orgrim until literally this year

Well, canonically, the Horde did win the first war.
Maybe Duncan Jones wanted to do a Star Wars thing where the first movie ends on a victory for the "good" guys but the threat isn't totally eliminated, allowing for a Hoth-style scene in the sequel where the "good" guys' base(Stormwind) gets burned.

Agamaggan's death got like the second or third most attention in the War of the Ancients books after Malorne himself dying to save Cenarius from Manaroth and his posse. (Don't worry, Manaroth eventually got back at Cenarius by hopping Grom and his boys up on even more felblood, then both Cenarius and Malorne got better)

I think Aviana also got a little more attention too.
The Quilboar were the bigger thron in everyone's side because big thorns side because that's literally their theme: Thorns. But in Vanilla the Centaur in Durotar were the ones with the actual plans to raid Org (Which requires some effort to actually grok as a threat because they're level 6.)

I was mainly salty about the Alliance being a thing at all so early, floating Dalaran, and skinny Karazhan surrounded by pretty plants.

Chromie's kinda a living meme, you can't take anything she says too seriously.

He's wrong, the Broken Shore definitely happened before the HotS trailer. We already knew Varian was dead before he was announced for that game.

>>not enough Grom
>>Orgrim was a Frostwolf
I didn't mind Orgrm being a Frostwolf. It just helped establish that he's got a close relationship with Durotar.
It was sad to see that Grom had zero lines in the theatrical cut. At least he got a few lines in a deleted scene.
I was really disappointed that there was no demon blood to drink. Just Gul'dan(who was otherwise great) just wiggling his fingers and "giving the gift of the Fel."

Not a Hordefag, but I am a tad salty about the ending

Stormwind was still standing, and the Alliance shouldn't exist yet

Orgrim being a Frostwolf kinda ruins a big aspect of his and Durotan's friendship, which riding on the coattails of WoD's retcons is kinda irritating.

Which was sort of a big failure of the movie, it tried to balance WC1 lore with WC3 and then WoD lore, so nothing really totally came together.

Gul'Daddy was easily the best part, though.

Varian's introduction trailer even has the line "A king has fallen..." in it. It's clearly after he died.
youtube.com/watch?v=8JYAF7QpNME

Still, HotS and WoW are separate universes.

>Was strangely popular in China for some reason.

Warcraft is insanely popular in China. As are big-budget action fantasy/sci fi movies with basic as dirt plots. The Chinese are simultaneously the pickiest and most easily-impressed film markets in the world.

There are multiple reasons Hollywood is completely saturated with massive, retarded computer effects spectacles and the Chinese are a big one.

I liked that it took the WC3 concept of the Orcs as noble savages but still emphasized the savage aspect.
I did go into the movie expecting to totally hate it and came out feeling rather "meh."
Not great, but not bad.

I did like that the final boss fight had multiple phases and involved the Warrior taunting him to keep his attention while the Mage kited the add.
And then the Mage leveled up, complete with yellow flash and the level-up noise once the boss was killed.

This is also why the Hobbit films were so different from the original LOTR movies. We would have had one, maybe two movies for The Hobbit if it weren't for Chinese audiences.

>The orcs were actually really entertaining to just watch.
The CGI in the movie was honestly impressive, it was just ruined by the fact that the CGI Orcs were running around fighting humans in Game of Thrones-tier, clearly plastic armor while barely acting at all.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves yet, Warner Bros. wasn't just gonna make a new LotR franchise and just leave it at 1 film. No way in hell that wasn't gonna happen, so I doubt the production of a singular book into 3 films is result of Chinese audiences and not full blown corporate greed to milk that cow for all its worth.

There's actually a lot of complicated and arcane reasons behind the production of the Hobbit movies, mostly having to do with the fact New Line was basically bankrupt when they picked up the license and were hoping it would save them.

I can guarantee you though the absolutely massive amounts of money you can make by pandering to the Chinese market were a consideration in the decision though.

We're gonna see a lot more Chinese pandering in the big movies to come. They're starting to rival America for screen showings and they have very different tastes. You can already see it in that Age of Extinction Transformers movie, where they had a big part of the movie dedicated to being in China, dealing with Chinese businessmen and showing blatant Chinese product placement because they knew it'd sell better there than the US.

There were zerg in wc3 editor long before hots mr. Underage

There's also what they did to Kung Fu Panda 3. Tigress became basically a non-character to make it more appealing to the Chinese.

A lot of film studios are going through financial decline right now and making poor business decisions, like damn near everything recently released by Sony Pictures but there has to be a limit where just throwing money at a problem is just going to make things worse.

I don't know if your the same guy who responded about the Chinese liking big CGI spectacle movies, but if you are then I want personally blame them as well for the garbage that Gods of Egypt was and so much of it's ilk that's been coming out lately. This was amazing a decade ago when special effects houses were basically one upping each other in a kind of wild west to improve the visual fidelity of CGI as whole, but now it's not nearly as impressive and just a slog. I want it to stop. It's the kind of crap the made Thor:Ragnarok so difficult to watch at times where characters would constantly jump from real to fake with such a jarring transition that it was hard ignore. I watched Dead Alive the same night with my cousin because I hadn't seen it and had a much better time. I'm getting distracted now, so I'll end on it on that.

>A lot of film studios are going through financial decline right now and making poor business decisions
I think the biggest mistake film studios and even game companies have been making is spending too much on advertisement. For a solid month before the Justice League movie came out, it was being advertised on every commercial break on ESPN. That shit eats into profits by an absurd degree and sets the amount they have to pull in to make a profit even higher.

I think the only character ever depicted as unreasonable was Daelin who
>chased the orcs across the world to Kalimdor after they'd made it perfectly clear that they were fucking off and never coming back
>violated a standing peace agreement between the orcs and Jaina, forged after the orcs had put their nuts on the line along with everyone else to keep the world from kersploding
Some other humans are generally unpleasant to the orcs but only Daelen ever went full "burn the orcs, race war now!"

I'm not seeing inherently a way in which Warcraft movie pandered to China, it's not like Chen showed up to fight for the Horde again or anything.

its just that warcraft is popular in china and blizzard knows how to market to the extremely fickle chinese audience.
Entire games get cratered when their review score drops because no sina translation

youtube.com/watch?v=hhufdvte3D0

There's more ways of pandering to the Chinese than showing Chinese people doing Chinese things.

As stated earlier in the thread, the Chinese are the biggest suckers for loud, explosion-filled action fantasy/sci fi movies. They love movies with shiny, armor-clad heroes smashing their way through hordes of demons. Also anything with giant fucking robots.

>orcs genocide humans in not one but TWO great wars
>we dindu nuffin leave us alone
Die greenskin

>greenskin
Isnt that the point though? Demon blood possessed orcs and all that?

Who here /silver/ and knows Hordefag Elf Lives Don't Matter?

What exactly is she urging me to do to this bird lady?

I don't think your allowed to show 2 robots fucking on screen, user. Seriously though, it sounds like Chinese farmers suddenly moved en mass to the cities and are just now discovering moving pictures are a thing and so have low standards for whats a good movie. Even for schlocky action movies there's better than half the shit that does well in China.

Bear in mind there's also the translation aspect. Big dumb action movies have simple dialogues and simpler stories, so it's much easier dubbing/subbing Mandarin for those.

>You scratch my back, I'll claw yours.
>Do you WANT a knife to your throat? It's kinda my thing!
>Let's do some damage!
>I'm feelin' stabby!
>Feels good to get my talon's dirty!
hard to say

BIG
HUMAN
DICK

t. Elisande

Oh boy I can't wait!

user I...

Thanks a ton, anons. late gratitude due to forgetting that posts need to be both written and posted

Guess I need to go back and make a new character to play through then, any race/class recommendations to get a good feel for Horde and their world/lifestyle?
I don't play female characters however, any recommendations despite that?

After the 1-10 zones the questing experiences are largely the same between races, only varying depending on which zone you choose to go to. If you want a feel for what the original Horde are doing right now (orcs, trolls, tauren), start an orc or troll and go through Durotar, though it's still kinda trapped in the Cataclysm time window. The tauren run through Mulgore as their starting zone. Both of them wind up in the Northern Barrens after level 10, and I'd recommend you hit up Ashenvale at 20, as it'll segway you through the orc/night elf conflict.

Also don't be afraid to look up stuff about the races on Wowpedia if you want in depth info. They'll have stuff compiled from out of game sources for easy reference.

Depends on your race.
>Orc Warrior/Shaman
>Troll Hunter/Shaman
>Tauren Warrior/Hunter/Shaman/Druid
>Undead Warlock/Mage
>Blood Elf Paladin/Mage
Depending on your race, stick to your native continent and just roll through the zones and follow the quests.

Thanks user, I appreciate it.

Any advice for fun/flavourful race/class combinations? I've levelled to 15 or so on most races before getting sucked into LfD for those GREEN SHINIES .

Any advice for avoiding overlevelling the zone?

See as a baseline for "expected" race-class combos. There's more to it, but those are a good baseline. Also, don't ask me about goblin combos because most of them require some mental gymnastics to justify. I dunno, maybe a rogue is fine.

Thanks again, anons.

You can tack on "Undead Rogue", "Blood Elf Warlock" and maybe "Blood Elf Rogue/Hunter" to that list.

Would it be best to leave the later-added races until after a playthrough from the Original Vanilla ones? Or does it really not matter at this point?