Veeky Forums's own setting worldbuilding

A thread once asked, "why can't Veeky Forums build its own universe like /co/?"
and some anons say the Unified Setting is one, but it's full of bollocks. And so, after some discussion, it is decided that Veeky Forums should make a new kind of setting. Initial brainstorm seems to agree on two planets/planes connected by portals, in which one is a sci-fi world with cybertech, mechs, tacticool and SCIENCE, and the other be a fantasy world with varying factions.

So, let us carve deeper into unknown territory and flesh out this sapling of a setting. What we need for now:
>major factions of the sci-fi side
>major factions of the fantasy side
>name for this setting (no variants of 'New United/Unified Setting' please!)

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Überstadt
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=96772
1d4chan.org/wiki/Wraith_World#Wraiths
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/30163192/
1d4chan.org/wiki/New_Jhelom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

We have "Veeky Forums makes a setting" threads witht his kind of going-nowhere-braoinstorming on a regular basis. The only difference here is that you're such a self-important egocentric twat that you think your pile of shit would be THE Veeky Forums setting. For fucks sake we even have Dungeons the Dragoning already for all your senseless mishmash needs, go choke on that.

what about a wargame or civ game instead of another homebrew rpg

the title should be Flames Of Total Warhammer Age Of The Emprah

Your last thread went nowhere and this one shan't either.

But, if you must know, Veeky Forums HAS made a setting. Google Anonimi Veeky Forums. It was a fantasy setting with Veeky Forums itself as its basis

Dungeons the Dragoning already exists

i know and the title is for a wargame

One thing I like to do for settings is take a bunch of my many, many incomplete projects, throw them together and weave a mesh that connects everything. This usually ends up changing so much that the original just becomes a vague inspirtation.

How about we do the same, but with old Veeky Forums projects? Especially with the portals idea we could connect to a lot of small "shards" that allow people to opt in with just a few shortstories. If a particular world goes on on it's own people can just keep the connection a small reference, if it dies the effort won't be completely wasted as long as the greater setting remains.

For example pic related, a setting I did mostly myself but lost sight on through the stress of a new job. Or the 19th century Stargate setting that had a few threads, or the mega dungeons that went nowhere, or our low fantasy evil empire in some RP forum that died two weeks in. And so on.

I'm not saying we should just take everything we find in the archives and smash it together, but I think a modular approach would allow easy opt in and opt out for people and instead of arguing about making the setting high fantasy, noble dark, etc people can just stick to the shards they like.

>Not Murica

One fucking job

That might honestly be a typo, been like two years since I worked on it. Or maybe the plan was to obscure it being post-apocalyptic or something, I don't remember.

I know that, I contributed to that.

The only thing lacking in those threads are drive, at least after consecutive threads about it. And I'm not claiming it as my pile of shit, it's yours too. It's Veeky Forums's own pile of shit, and by god you're gonna live in it.

And the point is, /co/ could make that sort of unified setting. Created by a lot of people, many of them anonymous. Setting building threads are kinda like that, but as you said it, they went nowhere. Now, why did they go nowhere?

>I'm not saying we should just take everything we find in the archives and smash it together, but I think a modular approach would allow easy opt in and opt out for people and instead of arguing about making the setting high fantasy, noble dark, etc people can just stick to the shards they like.
Precisely! This is what I've seen happening in /co/. Their setting has parts that interconnect, and people could just ignore the parts they don't want. Similarly, other people could slot their own parts - and whether they get ignored or not is just a matter of public acceptance or not.

here's an improved version for the title
Flames Of Total Warmachines Age Of The Fire Emblem

>name for this setting (no variants of 'New United/Unified Setting' please!)
TeaGee

So is the fantasy part Tea and the sci-fi part Gee, or is it the other way around?
>can't argue with quads

This Veeky Forums setting is a collaboration representing Veeky Forums as a whole with tons of references or puns with Veeky Forums in the names of the places and main characters in the world. It will be our project.

I remember the Anonimi and Tumblr Witches. I drew a shitty /x/ user dodging a Sasquatch attack.

This, but I'm almost scared to do this. Maybe some of those settings were dropped for a reason, ie Unified Setting's-defintely-not-furry setting.

This fucker gets it.

>quads
>leet
I was against Tea but I can't argue with those rolls. Well what does Tea and Gee stand for as in a longer word combination for both. Team, Tear, Gee-Whiz, Gee..?

>high concept rpg

>H I G H concept

We need to go higher

I think this would be a neat way to integrate bits of Veeky Forums history together while also giving some groundwork to lay the setting on.

Gods give people a number at birth, this is used in yearly lotteries to decide who dies and to influence the mortal world

>How about we do the same, but with old Veeky Forums projects? Especially with the portals idea we could connect to a lot of small "shards" that allow people to opt in with just a few shortstories. If a particular world goes on on it's own people can just keep the connection a small reference, if it dies the effort won't be completely wasted as long as the greater setting remains.
I vote the capital city (or one of the main cities) of the fantasy planet is Uberstadt
1d4chan.org/wiki/Überstadt

Maybe we should do like gurps forum

Vote up a space opera setting
forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=96772

This, even though I'm not an oldfag to some of the classic Veeky Forums history. Just want to give credit to what made this place go on.

Any other settings that are a must?

At face value Überstadt looks neat, but I would like to know why it died off. If it was due to a lack of interest we should integrate it. If some abhorrent shit came along to fetishize or misuse the setting then it should be a no go.

I worked on the project way back when it was new Jesus fuck it's been almost ten years and from what remember the reason it fell apart was no one wanted to do any sort of crunch for work it and like most idea only projects once the fun ideas were out of the way things sort of lost steam and fell apart. I'll admit there might be some bias on my end because I was with a small group of anons who were making monster stats that are sadly lost to time since the original wiki expired.

Based on what's left on 1d4chan it'd be easy enough to implement into this without any real baggage, and worst case parts can be changed since we don't need to be 100% faithful to the projects of old.

This sounds incredibly dumb. I'd rather work on some setting instead of this hot garbage. Plus it's downright stupid to say that Veeky Forums hasn't created a setting. It has put out quite a lot of different settings and that works for a board like this

Well that's good to know. At least for the now, not for them. Sorry your project fell through.

But do you have any other notes from before that's not on the wiki? We could use both fluff AND crunch for Überstadt for the future.

>missing the point of Veeky Forums's collaborative project

It isn't just another setting/worldbuilding thread. It's our attempt to pay homage to older projects that could've been something and for beloved Veeky Forums characters to interact within this world.

I never ended up saving anything. Out of the monsters that were lost I recall there were elementals made of non-standard elements like gold that were used as body guards and status symbols. I also disctinctly remembering working on a construct that lived in seas of scrap that would slowly regenerate if there was enough garbage nearby and could either offensively or defensively change which of the 3.5 physical damage types it could gain DR from or deal with its appendages.

I mentioned it in the last thread, but I feel like if we're doing crunch this time around something like how Veins of the Earth or Maze of the Blue Medusa would be a good template where things are crunched out in D&D terms like hit dice, AC, and damage dice but are otherwise system agnostic. Assuming we were to hybridize the approach for the two we could do something like this:

Scrap Strangler
Armor: As Chain
Hit Dice: 2
Move: Standard, Ground and Swimming (Scrap only)
Morale: Fearless
Intelligence: Animal
Damage: 1d6 Claw
Special: A Scrap Stranger regenerates when submerged in scrap for a quarter of its health every round and cannot be truly killed without forcefully removing the creature from the scrap before the final blow.
Fluff: He's a slippery scrap creature made of cast away technomagical components left to waste way in Uberstadt's massive landfills.

This. The reason Veeky Forums doesn't have one setting is that makings settings is the whole point of the board.

Are we including old original characters in this (e.g, Drew the Lich, Crazy Hassan, Rapestab McGenocide, etc)?

If we want to keep bringing back bits of old Veeky Forums projects, you can have them as Wraith World wraiths that GMs can use if they want to.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Wraith_World#Wraiths

Tea as the fantasy world's moniker comes from what the locals called it (Teara Mainna, 'Our Earth'), and the sci-fi side trying and failing to pronounce the whole name.
While Gee as the sci-fi world comes from the Megacorps' designation for it (G-1, 'Globe One', with other Gees out there as far-away space colonies).
How about this?

a problem is that we don't really have many setting agnostic sci-fi characters. And the sci-fi settings we have are too fully formed to be mashed together.

Here's another potential take we could do based on some ideas from this thread.

>Uberstadt's glory as fading as many of the captured peoples had found ways to escape and others with power and wealth find there talents are better spent in the more famous planar city.
>Desperate to hold on to their prestige, the kobold sorcerers go through dozens of technological and magical discoveries that go unnoticed to the planes at large.
>Eventually they stumble upon other realities other Veeky Forums projects and know they've hit big.
>They perform a grand ritual to bind portals to all the realities they've found to the city itself in an attempt to mimic Sigil.
>They fuck up real bad.
>Uberstadt is violently torn from the planar cosmology and huge sections of the city are replaced with chunks of these other realities. Sometimes it's a clean displacement while other times things merge in unpredictable ways like in pic related.
>Millions in the city die while millions more are thrown into a chaotic mess they don't understand.
>Kobolds lock themselves up in their last remaining stronghold while letting everyone else sort things out.
>Dare you enter my magical and sci-fi realm in Expedition to the Ruins of Uberstadt?

So Veeky Forums settings that never went anywhere?

The towns on the river Deka could be one setting:
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/30163192/

We can probably fit the Necromputer in somewhere.

I miss this

1d4chan.org/wiki/New_Jhelom

We don't have to re-use all the old characters. We can make new ones, or retrofit the old characters to somehow fit the new setting.

And with portals, it all can somehow be interlinked. Like, say, the Heritage setting, where humanity has disappeared and left only uplifts - how would they react if a portal to say, Uberstadt opened and lo and behold there's plenty of humans? Things like that keeps it interesting.

When we say chunks of of realities, how big are we talking? For sci-fi settings, would entire planets be copied?

Probably best to keep things vague and let the amount vary depending on who is running the game or telling a story.

>People can finally escape Walmart.

This can be the placeholder for now. If no one can argue with anything else this can be it.

These characters would have to be discussed more. If we can do more with them, keep them alive. If not, wraith them.

It's a ok starting point but I'm not sure if I'm down for the utter destruction that the Überstadt would have to go through. We should make it stand on its own legs for a little while longer and see what we can do without dismantling a decent setting first.

I currently don't have the time to read these up, but if they're established settings that Veeky Forums recognizes that's fine. Which is why I have to ask why should the river Deka world be a part of this? My only bias is that it's not on 1d4chan and it's shitty of me to deny it. Should this be a ground rule for these kinds of decisions?

I suggested the 10 towns in an earlier attempt at making the post, having not seen the multiple portals idea, and forgot to take it out. It was just supposed to be one of the places that would exist in the fantasy world suggested by OP.

With the old wiki for Uberstadt being lost the setting is already in a rough spot outside of the couple of pages preserved on 1d4chan. It is possible some info could be recovered from old sup/tg/ threads if someone wanted to go delving.

didn't we already sort-of do this with 1d4chan?

i mean, Veeky Forums is way more scattered and autistic than /co/, which makes a concentrated setting difficult.

bump