How would you run a game inspired by Dragon Ball Z?

How would you run a game inspired by Dragon Ball Z?

Eveeybody is an epic level monk sorcerer.

Low fucking power levels. You want a power level of 50,000? You had better have done a fusion dance. And nobody is teaching the fusion dance. Super Saiyan? Fuck you. You might get kaioken. Normal. And it might break you if you do it for more than a round or two. Raditz will almost always be stronger than you. The point is clever techniques, cool moves, tactics.

You must channel...the spirit of wrestling.

OP asked DBZ, not DB.

But any system for DBZ should start with power levels of DB.

Saiyan Saga is DBZ.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Saiyans win. the end

It's all about getting stronger, isn't it? Throw an enemy at the party that they can't beat (then get accused of railroading and quit GMing), give the players the opportunity to level up and go on quests to get powerful equipment, then have them fight the same enemy again and JUST BARELY defeat them.

Also a good idea to establish some likeable NPCs who will hold off the enemies but aren't strong enough to defeat them if you're planning on having the entire party be Goku, rather than just the powergamer.

That said, if the rest of the party aren't powergamers then a power up story arc will probably only appeal to the powergamer, so you might just be able to manage making that guy be the Goku of the party. The risk with that strategy is the number of players who will pretentiously say "I'm not a powergamer, I actually roleplay instead of rollplay FNARFNARFNAR" but who actually do want to be strong in play and will hate someone else having a stronger character.

Fun story, that happened to me in a PF game: I managed to minmax harder than everyone else in the campaign over the course of a globetrotting game and eventually fought the main villain solo while the rest of the party handled the minions. I felt like the most colossal badass.

narrative combat, focus on acting in character (doing saiyan stuff rather than metagaming) and so on

>The point is clever techniques, cool moves, tactics.
>dbz
ahahahahahaah

I'd throw it in the trash and run a game inspired by Dragon Ball instead. No such thing as power levels, the techniques are varied and interesting instead of "ki blast" and "bigger ki blast," the fighting styles actually matter, transformations are rare and special, and most of all, no power levels.

Start out as a Dragonball campaign. Let the PCs learn techniques and grow stronger arc by arc but once flight and ki blasts become bread and butter stagnate progression in favor of refluffing the mechanics after every arc so that while the PCs are stronger your game is not mechanically unwieldy.

Copy SOM

Perfectly

*twenty two episodes later*
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

He was obviously stating how you *should* do it, not how it was actually done.

I have no idea why people intentionally take the posts of others out of context and act smug and superior as though they proved something. Dumbass.

someone asked about DBZ, to then say that the way to do DBZ should be about things which are nowhere to be found in DBZ and purposefully try and make it as non-DBZ as possible is absolutley retarded

Every named antagonist defeated returns 1D10 encounters later wearing a different colored outfit in ROYGBIV order. If they star as blue, first upgrade is indigo. Final form is reached with Green. Final final form is white with original color accents. Super mega final form is black with final form color accents. Absolute finalest final form is back to original color, but withrainbow accents. And then when you beat them they join the party

M&M or Marvel Heroic depending on the group

Hero and Fate work as well.

I already am, and working on a semi-generic homebrew without dice shitgame that accomplishes the same feeling.