>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
→

Is sorlock an acceptable multiclass? Is barbarogue an acceptable multiclass? Sorcadin? Would you ban no specific multiclasses, ban specific multiclasses or ban all multiclasses? Perhaps allow multiclasses as long as the player clearly isn't gaming the system?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=to8yh83jlXg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tg how would you Stat a CR 5 Phoenix without it being an elemental?

I'm doing a Carpe Juggulum homage in my Curse of Strahd campaign

If you can narratively justify your multiclass, go for it, and you'd better be including some activities that justify it when you RP.

If you just level up and say "I'm a Sorcadin now", I'm going to ask you what you've been doing/how you've been training or practicing to gain access to the other class.

How do I into Epic 6 in 5e?

Bonus commonly hated multiclasses:

One level dip of life cleric (Healing classes)
One level dip of cleric (Wizards)
One level dip of hexblade (Mostly paladins, maybe bards and etc)
Any UA multiclass / especially UA revised ranger
One level monk dip (Moon druid)

PLEASE LET REVISED RANGER BE THE NEXT UA

I ban múlticlassing with Wild Mage

There's no problem with that multiclass unless you hate it for flavour reasons.

I hate it for grinding the game to a hault every time you want to pause my Curse of Strahd campaign for periferal random and wacky dice rolling everything your Sorcadin wants to cast Shield

I ban Wild Magic Sorcerer altogether.

I really think a Planescape adventure would be the next big module to come out.
Perkins has been teasing us with glimpses of the denizens of Sigil and Sigil itself, and a mercykiller antagonist. Now he has modron march art on his Twitter.

Barbarogue is basically Conan so it's fine. I personally don't care about the rest but I can see why it might bother people.

Exactly the same way you do in 3e? As a campaign variant, it's really more about how the GM presents the power of the players relative to the rest of the world than anything about rules.

Personally, I like the Spell-less Ranger combined with the Battlemaster Fighter to make a stupid trick shot archer.

Yeah, the wild mage should really be limited to campaigns where a sudden shower of pink bubbles fits the tone. And if you're playing in that campaign, you probably don't want to have Tieflings with their not-presented-as-optional fantasy racism element.

No reason to multiclass at all now that XGE is a thing, so I don't allow it

If you care so much about Wildmagic that you're willing to make it your whole class I'm willing to try and make it work.
But fuck that if you're just meme dipping

Fuck yes please.

Tg how do I play a rogue and feel useful

How would a Phoenix not be an elemental? I mean, I guess it could be a monstrosity or a celestial, but that doesn't feel right.

Either way, give it decent Dex, Con, Wis and Cha. Probably something like 13 17 16 10 15 18. Give it some natural armor (I wanna say 15 or 16 AC?), enough HP with resistance to nonmagical attacks and immunity to fire, a few traits like Heated Body, Rejuvenation, maybe some Innate Spellcasting? And a Beak+Talons Multiattack (copy the one from Giant Eagle, just add extra fire damage on each attack). Maybe a healing action as well, with limited uses per day?

Use your expertised skills to consistently be better than everyone else at those skills. Don't expertise Stealth, consider taking an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma skill to shore up whatever the party doesn't have.

How does one not be useful as rogue?

Use sneak attack.

Does Warlock 3/Monk X work? For flavour reasons it'll be chain/GOOlock and shadowmonk. The the DM will allow it I'll make it a goblin. Any suggestions?

Less warlock.

Veeky Forums, I'm making a magic weapon for my players. They're level 12 right now, for reference. Here's what I'm thinking:
>+1 Maul attached to a long strip of cloth that wraps itself around one of the wielder's wrists, deals extra 2d12 on crits
>As an action, you can make a ranged weapon attack with the maul, hurling it as if it had the thrown property with a normal range of 20 feet and a long range of 60 feet. If the attack hits, you can force the target to make a DC 15 Strength saving throw. A Huge or larger creature makes this save with advantage. On a failure, you can either pull or push the target up to 15 feet in a straight line towards or away from you, unless the creature is immune to being grappled.
>has X charges to cast the following spells, targeting the wielder only: Longstrider, Jump, Darkvision, Water Walk

Does it look good enough or way too good? Any suggestions?

What's the best way to play a conquest paladin?
Backgrounds too please

What happens to the weapon when thrown and you've finished pulling?

I'm fine with anything except 2 paladin/x sorc and 1 hexblade/x anything

>One level dip of life cleric (Healing classes)
Do people actually hate this? Healing seems like such a non-issue in 5e

Goes back to the wielder's hand. The whole thing does take an action, though.

>best way to play a conquest
Take the stick that should be up the Redemption Paladin's ass and make it fight the stick up your ass in armed combat

No mercy towards your enemies, they fucked up the minute they raised arms against you or your cause. Your main objective for adventuring is to gain wealth so you can buy your way into nobility/a place of power to operate from. Meteing out your definition of justice for causing disorder along the way as a side objective I guess.

That's all i've got off the top of my head

>2d12 on crits
does anyone in the group crit on a 19? extra damage on a crit always feels really lackluster on a magic weapon

What is the flavour uniting these things?

>Tieflings with their not-presented-as-optional fantasy racism element.
All fluff is optional. Racism is not a feature, not in the SRD, so it's definitely optional.

Anyone got rules for cannibalism?

>does anyone in the group crit on a 19?
Yes, there's a champion. I was actually considering making the weapon have an extended crit range too, so that he could crit on an 18 with it, but then it'd feel too much like I made it for him (even though I did).

Is it a bad idea to get involved in the worldbuilding of my DM?

No, especially if they want player input

I'm running Lost Mine of Phandelver as my first campaign DMing, the players skipped the first dungeon, should I try to guide them back to it?

So wotc is retarded, right?
>Have shitty base archetype
>Everyone says it's flawed
>Print NEW archetype that fixes those flaws
>Don't replace the old one
>Don't update the old one
>Just make an entirely new one
I guess it's because they don't want to deal with the shame of admitting they fucked up and that the printed book is no longer valid?

A Phoenix is pretty elementally but my game isn't in need of more elementals for the reason that I need the Phoenix for

>Is sorlock an acceptable multiclass?
I don't see why not.
>Is barbarogue an acceptable multiclass?
Pretty sure Conan is exactly that.
>Sorcadin?
Sure.
>Would you ban no specific multiclasses, ban specific multiclasses or ban all multiclasses?
I ban very little, but require approval for very much.
>Perhaps allow multiclasses as long as the player clearly isn't gaming the system?
Basically. Players are openly recommended in my groups to make and upgrade their characters communally instead of doing it at home by themselves, and we generally do it by looking at what happened to that character so far and where the character intends on growing at that point. The end result is nomatter how powerful a character is, they're usually on par with everyone else since choices are story-based and even where there's room to powergame, the best powergame players are there to boost everyone.

Oh, I thought you meant a caster going into wild mage. Since it only applies to sorcerer spells.

Sorcadin makes more sense, but they use their spell slots for smites half the time anyway, so.

Arcane Trickster is the best, but thief is the most fun if your DM has a lot of items to use, even though arcane trickster can also use interact as bonus actions.

I'd say certain things should be discouraged like fighter/monk since kensei is here now and kensei is just as lame, but for the most part XGE doesn't rule out many multiclasses, just adds more options. And if you want to ask 'how many options is okay?' then just the PHB alone with multiclassing was already okay. .. So I can understand that giving more options means you don't need to keep as many options hanging around. Eh. Some of us aren't big fans of many of the XGtE archetypes though, and they're only archetypes.

I fucking wish my players would get more involved with my worldbuilding.

I like that attitude, but personally sorlock is the line at which where I start to feel rather iffy about it all. I'd call sorcadin and barbarogue suitable sidegrades to their optimized class counterparts, but warlock...
Sorlock delays their high level spells only slightly yet has even more at-will than warlock. It's not gamebreaking, but the constant repelling blast spam is a mess and their at-will damage is starting to rival martials, while still having spells. I think as long as you deny them plus bonuses from magical items and shit though for being a fucked up multiclass they should be fine, though, with the pact keeper rod being pure-warlock-only.

>Would you ban no specific multiclasses, ban specific multiclasses or ban all multiclasses?

I impose a limit of only two classes per character.

Why would there need to be rules? It seems pretty straightforward

Champions have literally nothing else going for them so why not

Are dream moon land and shepard all the druidic circles published or have I missed something?

Admittedly, my experience with a sorlock is more warlock than sorcerer, based on a fey pact mage who has a little wild magic talent from their ancestry. I've yet to have someone game it for maximum blast mode, but mine is the kind of group where someone might level dip into something a charop type might go into a frothing panic attack over because "over the last few in-game months we've been dealing with a lot of X, and it kinda makes sense to make me better at Y because of it".

What this guy said. In fact I would take it a step further and say that there SHOULDN'T be a rule to cover every minute action a character could ever take. Rolling dice and consulting tables takes up precious time - we already get enough of that during combat.

It's against the law here, so we generally eat simpler snacks at the table.

Need simple magic item ideas. I don't have the DMG. I'm running a group of 4 players through a long Yawning Portal dungeon. First session went really well. One player got a cursed item (they're yet to learn that it's cursed though), and the others would like a few cool pieces too.

What simple bones can I throw them? There's a cleric, fighter and wizard.

Have there been any homebrews to "fix" Wild Magic Origin. I love the fluff but mechanics feel just unfinished.

Generally actual game experience is unlike theory. Not because theory is wrong, but because in game experience is extremely swingey, it depends on:
1. How good the player is
2. If the player holds back at all
3. If the player builds correctly
4. If magic items granted by the DM don't screw game balance
5. What sorts of encounters the DM builds (Though some builds are hard to counter, eldritch blast spam for example has very few counters because force is rarely resisted, the pushback is really hard to resist since you have to basically not get hit in the first place or have outright immunity to beams, etc)
6. How lucky the player gets with their rolls
7. How broken everybody else is

Why did they skip it? You probably provided a bit too much unnecessary information. Good DM'ing often means hiding your railroading, and there's no shame in railroading a fucking starter set.

I don't think it's super crucial that they do the first little dungeon. It's fun and good practice, but not necessary for the story. Just make sure they're at least lvl 3 before they do Cragmaw Castle, else they'll probably get fucked unless they're really smart (which they aren't).

How so?

At one point there was Circle of Twilight, but it got scrapped. Something about infinite damage Magic Missiles.

>I don't have the DMG.
>I'm running a group of 4 players through a long Yawning Portal dungeon.

You fucked up.

Consult the OP for links to get a copy of the DMG.

Nah. When they arrive in Phandalin have the General Merchant ask them about the Rockseeker bro and his bodyguard, if they saw something on the road etc. If they don't take that bait and go back just proceed with the rest of the story. Maybe the Goblins from that cave attack the village, maybe Silder escapes and tells what happened.

Oh, and though I could have condensed these into fewer points, a big one:
8. How much the DM houserules. DMs almost always houserule something against what the book says.

That's why I generally don't ban things, and stick to community building/leveling where people talk it out and get approval for things.

I didn't describe the goblin path well enough I think so they didn't bother with it

Magic missiles is unlikely the real problem. They could have just required that the spell with damage boost was a druid spell.
It was still a silly concept anyway.

So where are they now? What do they want to do?

They're in the town, I think they want to go to the Tymora shrine

You didn't buy the thing you want changed, did you.

Surge is miserable 5% chance to happen normally and only if GM wills it, Tides of Chaos is OP if GM lets your regain it automatically so it's also left up to them, and Bend Luck is completely outclassed by Lore Bard's Inspiration dice (feature they get on level 3 and you get on level 6).

Huh?
I bought the PHB back when 5e first released. And beast master ranger is still total shit several years later.
Apparently they just released "conclaves" in the new books instead of acknowledging beast master is fucked and fixing it.
Honestly it's not even that hard to fix. Let the CR of what you can tame scale as you increase in level ( like 1/4 your level rounded down ) and when you get to higher levels you can start taming monstrosities or something.

I'll try that, thanks

>goblin has a colossal fuck-up which results in him killing a number of his clan mates
>creature of the deep (goblin outpost was connected to tunnels that lead far underground) found the whole display amusing, promises to help him escape if he slaughters any more goblins that come looking
>he agrees because he's desperate and kinda spineless
>gains power over time as larger and larger search parties disappear
>creature realises goblin's magical potential is too poor, opts to enhance him physically instead
>search parties stop, goblin realises all the other goblins are dead and when the goblinoid army passes by the outpost and checks it he'll be fucked
>runs as far as he can, with the creature goading him on to get into more trouble

It's not fully thought out but that's the general idea.

Sure, everyone's campaign is different, but the fluff for the Tieflings as presented in the book is the most overwhelmingly negative. It suggests that every NPC your Tiefling character meets will not trust them. It's the most negative and one-note description in the book, including the half-orcs'.

You realize that they're going to release an official finalized version of revised ranger for free so it qualifies for AL without treading on the PHB+1 rule, or tables who don't want to use non-officially published material, right?

>Feature: Discovery. The quiet seclusion of your extended hermitage gave you access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of your seclusion. It might be a great truth about the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, or the forces of nature. It could be a site that no one else has ever seen. You might have uncovered a fact that has long been forgotten, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history. It might be information that would be damaging to the people who or consigned you to exile, and hence the reason for your return to society.
>Work with your DM to determine the details of your discovery and its impact on the campaign.
Can anyone give me an example or two of hermit (background) discoveries?

shadow monk and warlock are like peanut butter and jelly, both flavor and mechanics

I might as well explain it.
My DM said it would be fun to revisit a one-shot setting. Some kind of magical post-apocalypse earth caused by a nuke launched into a plant for a newly discovered power source. Most living beings mutates into D&D creatures, magic reaches every corner of the planet and society reverts back to the dark ages. Our party was a bunch of human lab rats for a super soldier experiment before the happening, woke up learning the world went to shit and some gained monster features by devouring heavily mutated animals in the canadian east coast.

>apparently they just released "conclaves" in the new books instead of acknowledging beast master is fucked

1: Revised Ranger is Unearthed Arcana, and thus freely available to everyone
2: Xanathar's only includes new subclasses, none of which properly replace the Beastmaster
3: They've admitted that PHB Ranger is bad, they're still working on/testing their fix for it which is why we haven't seen it published yet

figtgter is best multiclass

fighter 3 / fighter 3 / fighter 3 / fighter 3

What are the odds we're going to get weekly UAs for the Holiday Season again?

That's nice.
Are they going to fix beastmaster or are they just "fixing" it? I think the revised ranger all the beastmasters gets concerning beasts are improved HP and AC?
Oh god I read it again and it's even worse
>Instead of a meaningful CR restriction they just give you a list of generic beasts you can have tamed
>Your beast "levels up" but it's still limited to shitty base creatures
What the fuck even the base beastmaster is more interesting than this. At least that has a choice beyond "okay we compiled a list of popular animals among tryhard normalfags these are all you can choose". For fucks sakes wizards.
It's still shit, all they did was fix the pewpew archetype.
>deep stalker
Oh buy thanks for adding this heavily setting specific archetype no one asked for. Fucking retards.

The stat requirements hate each other and mechanically only the darkness cheese and hexspam get along

At least it makes the beast decent.
It gets proficiencies everywhere, and adds proficiency bonus to AC and damage and shit.
>Not having a medicine proficient doggo who licks the battlefield into stability.

Which warlock pact makes the most sense for a Yuan Ti pureblood, in terms of lore

I don't know much about forgotten realms lore stuff

Supposedly Dendar the Night Serpent is a GOO, and right there for Yuan-ti.
Flavor-wise, you're thinking of egyptian snake gods.

>I guess it's because they don't want to deal with the shame of admitting they fucked up
Sounds about right

Can a warforged be a druid? If so how would you go about it making sense?

And they didn't even fix giant killer god damn
It's already situational ( only large or larger instead of being any creature of a size larger than you ) but they also have to attack you! Or you can choose +damage that will work 99% of the time or horde breaker which works sometimes.
Who the fuck looks at these features together and thinks they are even remotely equivalent? Who is going to choose anything other than the feature that works the vast majority of the time otherwise your precious limited class features is useless.
At least if they made it relatively larger instead of absolute size large the small race characters have a reason to even contemplate choosing it.

not a bad fix for it, imo.

>he thinks a maul does 1d12 on crits
>he things the damage die for maul is d12
>look at him
>look at him and laugh

>Bend Luck is completely outclassed by Lore Bard's Inspiration dice
No, you can use bend luck to reduce enemies' saving throws

>Can a warforged be a druid?
There are absolutely no racial restrictions on any class - and you should be aware of this.

>If so how would you go about it making sense?
Do you lack so much imagination that you have to depend on others for it? Perhaps RPGs aren't for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=to8yh83jlXg

the point is more
>we fixed it but it wasn't broke in the first place

The key and map to an ancient vault lying in ancient city ruins that nobody has been able to open, with a note on the map saying 'Do not open until the king is dead.' in old dwarf script. Found in an abandoned outpost hidden down a trapdoor.

An ancient grove with a mysterious power preventing its finding, yet you arrived at it anyway. There's no obvious bounty there, but it's a tranquil spot and seems to be a piece of a larger mystery of why this place was hidden.

A stone tablet reinforced with magical power to be nigh-unbreakable, yet it seems to be split in half and only contain half the writings. It reads, "From the year [10 years ago from character aquisition] onwards, nobody will remember me, or any of us. It will be as if we had never existed. All our work will be stolen from us by those impostors. All I ask is that this one last memory reaches the world, and that everybody will see them for the liars they are, before it's too late."

An old, intricate map of the planar structure of the universe, complete, made and magically signed bya a great arch-mage, but there's one extra plane. Except it seems somebody has taken effort to try to erase that extra plane from the map using magic.

It's generally a good idea to work with the DM for the discoveries.

That' not what he meant

They don't balance the game assuming you will be fighting the Balrog with only half your HP left, but they do balance the game around 6 to 8 encounters, and you will not have full HP every fight

people will complain choosing skill proficiences for pets "don't make sense" and they will remove it, mark my words

>no doggo with insight who barks at people who lie to you

To me it reads like "we don't necessarily consider it broken, but if you think it's out of line then try this instead". That very much seems like more of the spirit of DND to me, "at our tables it was fine, but if it's a problem at yours you can always change stuff".

I'm with you on that

What are some good D&D Youtube channels?

DawnforgedCast is a massive homebrew faggot and the only other channel I know is Nerdarchy which is run by idiots.

Warforged are made of wood and stone you know

matthew colville is alright other than the occasions where he brings progressive political bullshit into something and gets mad when the comments call him out on it

>An ancient grove with a mysterious power preventing its finding, yet you arrived at it anyway. There's no obvious bounty there, but it's a tranquil spot and seems to be a piece of a larger mystery of why this place was hidden.
I like this one. Fits the theme I was going for. Thanks buddy.