/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
Dragoons are here, everybody give up already, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-11-26 - Still getting worked on & now has 20738 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-11-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HH7IvYOpXNM
youtube.com/watch?v=CeEwsBDbypM
youtube.com/watch?v=NCrTEIrYvQQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

like Hell I am

Wolf's Dragoons are shit.

>pic from last thread
The fuck am I looking at here?

She seems from macross, the first one, the Sub-captain. With a Valkirie laser as a body.

Infantry belong on mercenary TO&E, even if not on the table top, because vagabond space warlords need security ops even more than run of the mill star armies. The outsize combat power of Mechs is the key asset and liability of the mercenary unit, because if it's valuable enough to pay for, its valuable enough to steal. Given the FASAnomic parameters of mech production, the fastest way to acquire more than a single mech is hire mercenaries, replace their unreliable personnel with your own mech warriors, and sort out the MRBC later. Infantry platoons have a pretty narrow role in the Thirty-First Century, but stopping Gundamjacks cold is very much in their wheelhouse. Soldiers tramping across the stars might accept hiring wogs to be stevedores, cooks, carpenters, clerks, and motorpool staff, but guarding the major capital equipment is a job for professionals you can actually trust. To my mind, mercenary troops would specialize in military police & intellegence/counterintellegence roles after the obligatory reconnaissance and forward observation training, because most mercs operate in only mildly friendly territory. Anti-mech infantry are a very narrow application tool that few units would ever need, unlike guys who's sole occupation is stepping on the larcenous dreams of aspiring Mule joyriders.

Gunpod. The VF-1s mount the lasers in their heads.

True.

Beyond safeguarding un-piloted mechs and grounded aerospace craft, security troops can cover something else near and dear to mercenary leaders, key personnel. A lot of BT novels feature out-of-mech shenanigans by Ace mechwarriors and senior officers. While it is highly entertaining, and frequently plot necessary, dangerous hi-jinx are a poor business practice for a service industry that depends on specialized skilled labor. Officers and talented pilots should have a retainer of bodyguards to ward off assassination, capture, and suicidal daring-do. Not all mechwarriors need a permanent side party but having one lends an appropriate dignity to a sellsword officer. I don't believe that just because the space aristocracy rides into battle inside the heads of 12m tall metal giants that they should have to do without the services of bat men, aides de camp, buglers, color-bearers, signalmen, heralds, runners, adjutants, stewards, and other martial attendants when they are dismounted and infantry troops provide bodies to fill those types of roles.

Always have a platoon or two of infantry for base security, at the least.

I get there's a shit load of nostalgia in the BT fan base but Macross is a shit anime. Can't people get over it and move on?

Is that you sister?

So about the Long Tom idea for removing clanners. I would tell you my OrBat but it's on my laptop and it's definitely nothing to write home about anyway.

As it's star league tech I imagine I can't just put out an order for 12. In AtB you mentioned how demolitioner could be converted to a LT carrier. Is this just a refit kit? I'm away from my laptop so I can't check for myself.

Also how is it the clan bot is so retarded?

Final question, I have seen a raid against jade falcons. I can't remember there skill but it was fairly/very high as you would expect. What kind of mechs and configs does the clan like?

Many thanks in advance

>Telling the stuck up fuck ups raving about how great anime used to be and how everything made after 1985 might as well not exist that their stuff is not the pristine, unfallible, second coming of Christ they consider it to be.

You're in for a bad time, user.

But I agree. SDF was a nice watch but it's old, the animation horrid and is overall an antique outdone by its sequels.

Finally got some time to myself so here's an Anubis.

I didn't save any of the old requests unfortunately.

cute!

Awesome mech.
Can you so a Schrek PPC Carrier with a set of long hair hotties crew members?

>I didn't save any of the old requests unfortunately.
A pity user, this one is good.

SDF is still good, but I will agree it's a bit weird at times, but it's still a good anime, especially considering its production chaos and the time it came out.

Why has there never been a Hunchback variant where they replace the Autocannon with a energy weapon? Like a group of large lasers, or a PPC?

Merc bands and the ammo-concerned would be all over that I think.

You do know that the Discoback is a thing, right?

Literally the HBK-4P

How do you do all my requests before I even make them?

Groovy!

Not BT related but glorious victory today.
>MSI laptop is 3 days out of warranty so shat itself sideways
>MSI says lel fukk u gwailo when asked if they can do something about it since the issue is the same one i had repaired four months ago
>go to buy new laptop on-line
>can't find a way to buy an extended warranty from them
>ask online person
>online person throws an $800 VR rig at me and discounts the final price by 15% to apologise for not having extended warranties on the site
>does everything short of offering to sudoku immediately to make up for maximum dishonour and failing the customer

I think I may have used up my supply of luck for 2018 and 2019 at the same time but I get to flail around like a retard in VR tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all you faggots. Hope Atlas Santa Claus brings you something nice too. Here's to another year of shitposting about BattleTech.

You do realise the guy was simply desperate to sell any VR related merchandise, right?

>sell

Nah, it was given away for free. I was kind of interested in VR but it's expensive and not a mature technology, so I wouldn't have bought one for a good long while. I was more interested in the discount on the laptop, mouse, external Blu-Ray drive and new copy of MS Office but I wasn't going to say no to a free VR setup.

I know they probably just wanted to get rid of it and gave it to me because I wasn't a raging abusive fucktard in sales chat but still. Between that and the discount I saved almost a grand.

Oh, well that's different. Have fun with it.
youtube.com/watch?v=HH7IvYOpXNM

Now that you have a VR set up, you need to play Star Trek Bridge Crew. It's pretty fantastic and well worth your time.

That makes me wish Armoured Core was on PC.

6GB video card, octo core, and 64 gig of ram should still be fine for MW5 when it comes out though, right?

As long as it's not as much of a shitfest as MWO.

>6GB video card, octo core, and 64 gig of ram should still be fine for MW5 when it comes out though, right?

Should be fine. Still won't run Crysis, though.

I think I'll fuck around in the HD Skyrim re-make and with Fallout 4 first. My previous laptop drove me up the wall with bullshit load times so I didn't get much further than re-taking the Minutemen's fort.

Never had anything to do with VR before, can you just use the goggles as an alternative monitor or does whatever you want to do have to be VR-enabled?

MW5 is slated for 2019.
By then, they might take a dump on the 6GB of VRAM given that UE4 doesn't need to care about anything less than 8GB.

Time will tell. There's no telling just how badly the PGI side of things can screw up given their history of not being able to design themselves out of wet paper bag dealing with Cry Engine and producing something that looks horrible and runs even worse.

>PC Armored Core
Yeah, me too. There's always a chance since the guy who was doing that and progressing along great (well, he was making a game in the style of 4 which I never got to try out, so it's not exactly THE AC experience...) before apparently getting shut down and erasing all the demo links as well as videos.
From already confirmed working on it so chances are it's not as hopeless as it appears on the first glance.

Some more not!Armored Core:
youtube.com/watch?v=CeEwsBDbypM
youtube.com/watch?v=NCrTEIrYvQQ

The idea is definitely popular even over there.

cry engine was fortunately dropped in favor of UE4 for mw5 so if its not great at least we can mod it

Eh, by 2019 I'll be able to dump $4-$5K US into a proper desktop setup so it will be a moot point.

For now I need something that I can take with me to work and game on at home. A PC with similar specs wasn't going to be much cheaper but wouldn't have been mobile so getting both would have been more expensive.

At least this way if the price drops $500 or more in the panic sales after Christmas I'll be able to say "I'm still ahead from the VR and other shit!"

>cry engine was fortunately dropped in favor of UE4

I don't see it as a thing to be excited about. They fucked up on Cry Engine, if they don't change something drastically, they will just retread the same errors in UE4.
Like the absolutely retarded way they handle the mechs. That's going to eat up resources no matter the rendering pipeline underneath.
It's not a Cry Engine problem, it's not an Unreal Engine problem and we'll simply have to wait and see if PGI actually hired anyone with the ability to fix that since no one else will do it for them.

Neither engine is inherently moddable, either.

To save themselves effort they removed customization too.

In MW5?

Fuck. If true, dropped before I even picked it up. What's the use of a MW game where you can't build your own shit? I wasn't fully on board with the slot system of MW4 and it's why I stayed away from MWO (well, that and it being PVP only) but really.

Yes, they've announced that there's not going to be any customization, but I forgot their rationale because it was pants on head retarded.

Why must everything connected with BT have such mongoloid management?

The fans are the ones who keep supporting the bad practices and the "mongoloids" in charge.
An abusive housewife relationship with the IP. We all want to see them happy and make us happy. Can't stop, but all it ever gets us is bruises and tears.

Blake Eleison!

octo-core what, though?

if it's an Intel chip, you're good. if it's an AMD Ryzen you're good. if it's an AMD FX Series, it's a bit suspect

im gunna pinch your mechs butt

my mech is not for lewd u negro

you cant stop me

Touch her and she'll drive a pilebunker through your cockpit.

Hey there people. Not a player of the game proper, I merely read some of the books and stuff for inspiration/entertainment, so forgive my ignorance.

I wondered if the Inner Sphere can produce Clan-equivalent weapons/armour for 'Mechs? I seem to recall something about that being said somewhere, and there does exist canonical mixed-tech units, but are these merely made with captured/bought-from-Clans equipment, or can certain IS powers produce home-grown equivalents of Clan endo-steel, or ER Lasers/PPCs? If so, which factions have to ability to do so?

Thanks for the great books and good luck to those of you who play the game!

It is possible, but to do so requires a complete overhaul of the factories slated to do so and that takes time.
So it becomes a matter of "is it worth losing out on months of production income to do this?"

>I wondered if the Inner Sphere can produce Clan-equivalent weapons/armour for 'Mechs?
Yes. However, it requires higher-quality material manufactured to more exacting specifications, which makes it more difficult and more expensive.

So far the Federated Suns has the best native production. The Dracs may have snagged some former Nova Cat factories but the fluff is unclear on if or how many they got. Meanwhile, we know the Suns is manufacturing a bunch of Clan gear on its own, mostly energy weapons.

Blech. Why did it have to be the Suns? I despise the Suns... Anyway, thanks for the response!

So, theoretically, with what said in mind, would it be possible for any sufficently motivated and well-funded government (For instance, House Liao or House Steiner) to switch a production line or two to producing Clan-spec weapons or equipment?

The reason I'm asking is because Clantech is painfully superior to IS tech when it comes to 'Mech weapons it ain't even funny. So I wondered if the factions which I despise less than the Clans can catch up to them (I might not like the Suns, but they're at least not Clanners).

>Blech. Why did it have to be the Suns?
They were the first to crack Clan tech and the damage from the FCCW meant they needed to rebuild any way so they skipped the upgrade stage and went straight for Clan tech.

It's theoretically possible for the major factions to upgrade but they need to start at the refinement level and go up through the whole chain, not just build a single new factory.

AFAIK neither the FWL nor Cappies have any native production, but both do buy from the Sea Foxes like everyone else.

your mechs are mine to fondle

Then why didn't the Lyrans do the same? Don't they have a more stable economic base than the Suns anyhow? Plus, more industrial capacity, AFAIK.

Too busy getting assfucked by the FWL splinter states, Cockfalcons, and Wolves.

Of course. Can't let anyone but the Suns get good stuff.

>Then why didn't the Lyrans do the same? Don't they have a more stable economic base than the Suns anyhow? Plus, more industrial capacity, AFAIK.
Did you really expect the Suns not to be the best at everything and shit on everyone else from a great height while ignoring all the logical consequences of the FCCW and Jihad?

I can dream, all right? Dream of Lyran greatness and the Suns getting shit on for once.

Look kids I ain't a Suns player but can we not? If we went by the metric of "pet factions suck" then nobody would ever get to play Suns, Wobbies, Cappies, Taurians, MoC, or most of the Clans. Makes for a lame game, man.

>Plus, more industrial capacity, AFAIK.
They were still picking Blake booby traps out of the teeth of Coventry and Hesperus for like twenty years after the Jihad.

Sorry. Anyway, I got the info I needed - Clantech production is possible, but currently only the FedSuns have any to speak of, and the Dracs might have something squirreled away somewhere, and Diamond Sharks will sell you stuff.

What kind of stuff will the Sharks sell you anyhow?

Dude. This is literally a setting where the faction that sat out of conflict raking in cash and innovating for almost two decades not being allowed to home-build Clan tech while the guys who had their military and economy crippled started making the highest of high tech.

Also, why is the TC and most of the Clans on your list there? I know that one Magistracy hating guy will flip his lid if we discuss that one, but really, arguing the Concordat benefitted from authorial fiat?

Dracs got the Nova Cat factories from when they killed the Cats. Which are weapons and full mechs.

Davions have their Exostar factory in the Crucis March that makes Clantech lasers.

Lyrans got dick IIRC

Marik had industrial worlds the Wolves conquered and converted to Clantech so they will probably get those when the Wolves get ejected.

Liao Clantech is pretty much just bought Seafox PPC's.

>What kind of stuff will the Sharks sell you anyhow?
Anything except WarShips and Tiburons for sure. They can probably make HPGs but I doubt they'd sell those.

So, they'll sell you Hellstars?

I just had to hand my tower over to a tech store today to get it fixed. Fagootstanian brown cunt decided to try and con me after getting a virus on my PC. Blacked out the screen and turned off the KB. Then the designated street shitter has the gall to call me and try and pretend he's 'from Microsoft', as if I even can afford Microsoft service assistance contracts or w/e they're actually called.

So I left my computer turned off at the mains switch on the PSU, laughed in his retard face and told him "no you're not" and laughed at him until he sperged out because I refused to fall for his scam.

"Shut up! I am from Microsoft I can prove it! Shut up!"

Always remember, it could be worse.

>arguing the Concordat benefitted from authorial fiat?
Nah people just hate Medron. Also the MoC had a patron author too; Kit? But seriously, a little smack talk is fine but any more than that and you're just asking for s shitstorm.

Yep, they will, even to mercs

According to what I've read in these threads, that instantly makes every faction balanced and fine.

>they'll sell you Threshers
Oh sweet brb making a Merc company of Thresher 2s

Lyrans get the zoose.

What kind of faggot can't seize greatness with 'scout' and 'forward recon' units made out of assaults.

>Steiner scout lances outmanoeuvred by PBI building field fortifications

That made me actually laugh IRL. Thanks user!

It's not hating the Magistracy to dislike how it got a patron author and a load of Xin Sheng buffing shit.

Lyrans got CWiE

Or, well, had.

I want a Clanner GF to fight alongside with.

Much as I hate Kit and his self-insert BS through the Jihad as far as I can tell their boosting is almost entirely due to Loren Coleman needing a vineer of plausibility to explain why his faction could come back and be rivals with the Suns and Bears for #1 faction in the more recent eras of the game.

I meant Coleman. Kit's patronage came a little later.

Marik also got the Clan Protectorate.

Clan Protectorate is a single galaxy of Spirit Cats squatting on half of the planet Marik and a Sea Fox strip mall. There's nearly as much clan tech in the space fleet of the Steel Wolves gone merc they got posted on the border.

I have no idea what you're talking about. I assume these are authors who shat on the game in some way, yes? I just read stuff piecemeal and occasionally come to these threads. I don´t even play the game, just read stuff and sometimes mine it for inspiration.

That was a separate entity living in the place, like the Nova Cats were for the Combine. The Clan tech wasn't dispersed in the state.

But I did just remember the one clan tech weapon the Lyrans make. They make Clan Gauss. So...yeah. Can't bitch about that.

That area of the Periphery was more fun when it was just the Magistracy and Concordat cooperating and stuff, being suspicious of the Cappies and all.

Taurians and Canopians were always like England and France. They hated each other's guts, but were rivals and brothers just as much as enemies.

BT 3025 periphery shenanigans is gonna be good.

Needs more yeehaw, double entendre and whore jokes.

Honestly, without the Capellans it would have been cooler, the Trinity alliance. With the marians or the OW specially.
Or an independent Fistvelt/Outback union.

Is funny that in cartoon series all the Green Burds has EI implants.

Oh god what is this from? That's hilarious. Also that chick is hot as fuck.

>Filtvelt
>Not the Grand Periphery Corporate Empire
A Quikscell franchise Headquarters Conestega, Broken Wheel

That's because green birbs are almost as pants on head retarded as fog cats. Crusaders clanners deserve getting ares conventions lifted against them so the wardens and IS can nuke, Chem and bio weapon them indiscriminately. Without everyone else crying foul.

Maximum "Pay Evil Unto Evil" and "Disproportionate Retribution".

>nuke their genetic depositories too while you're at it.

But Jade Falcon are one of the better Clans. They treat the other Castes well and have the highest standard of living, because they don't go full retard of "hurr durr anyone who doesnt kill people for a living is subhuman" like the Smoke Jaguars, and aren't the hum-ha do-nothings like the Ghost Bears.

Also, they have a cool clan emblem. Does YOUR bird wield a katana? No, didn't fucking think so.

>The Clan tech wasn't dispersed in the state.
They're selling stuff by the 32nd century though. And the Commonwealth helped start up Assault Tech Industries on Donegal as specific means for WiE cranking out and selling more Clantech to compete with the Foxes.

DA Cockfalcons under Jana were more traditional but less evil and crazy than DA Burrs.

I miss Khan Jana Contraction
>ywn comfort her Khanship after a stressful day in her homey private chamber filled with handmade throw pillows stuffed with falcon feathers while she knits a sweater and rants about bullshit clan politics.
Her and Loremaster Jailbait were just tops. Fuck Malvina.

can you believe that clan federated falcons is making EER Lasers for next to no heat

None of the Clans treat their subcastes well user. That's always kind of been the point and the irony of the Clans. They're basically the same thing as the IS system with a different set of fixtures and paint on them.

My bird doesn't need a silly born sized katana. He has this thing called a beak. And a billion years of evolution still telling him he's a 10' tall lizard monster of dooom.

>he chases the cats around if they get uppity with him
>ALL the other humans are scared of him and won't pet him or step him up onto them
>he sits on my arm and or shoulder and sooks for pats with fluffed up cheek and crest feathers

Green stupid birb a shit.

Galahs a best. Viva La Parrot!!!