Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Burn Them All Edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Previous thread

Why aren’t there more cute undead that aren’t just undead elves?

Because coming back from the dead tends to suck the cute out of you, unless you're playing "le quirky undead crackpot" with a cuteface. Most undead are just so melancholy that they just can't be fucked to even try.

Because undead are rotten corpses waiting to be put down.

Because far too many people are either busy playing edgelord undead or complaining about those people.

How do you guys fix:

>Gnomes
>Tauren
>Darkspear Trolls
>Forsaken
>Goblins

These six are pretty boring and have nothing interesting to offer. Gnomes and Goblins are permanent joke races. Tauren are replaced to irrelevancy with Highmountain Tauren, same happens with Darkspear Trolls and Zandalari ones. Forsaken have nothing to offer other than being Sylvanas' fan club.

Aren’t undead suppose to be edgelord? Pretty sure at some point they stated that they don’t really feel emotions except for anger and satisfying revenge

What even are the Forsaken stereotypes?

That's how

I find more of the interesting people tend to play goblins. Gnomes make it easy to play a genius autistic.

>Melancholy "nothing matters anymore"
>Angry "rage against my fate"
>Upbeat "this changes nothing, it's like I'm not even undead"
>Quirky "I may be a mad scientist, but I assure you I'm sane"
>Resolute "all who oppose the Forsaken will perish"
>Conspiring "all the dark powers answer to me"
There's likely others, but those are the ones that immediately stand out. That's all before you get into pro-Sylvanas or anti-Sylvanas rhetoric.

Was there any possibility the Forsaken wouldn't have sucked Orc dick?

Gnomes start pushing the edges of technology. Some are pushing into Titan territory and could start making tech so advance it's like magic. Other go edgy and start pursuing unethical shit that not in the Forsaken realm like Eugenics.

Tauren start questioning their commitment to the horde as they see what the BE have done, Garrosh has done, and the Forsaken are. Quest lines about what it means to be Tauren, and what if any responsibilities they have to the Horde when Goblins and Undead keep destroying the environment.

Darkspear trolls try to unite the trolls. As the few tribes that look to the future, they must try to save their people from the stains of the past and try to unify their cousins. Big diplomacy missions and getting looks into Troll society, faith, and history going forward.

Forsaken stop identifying as undead and start trying to reidentify as Lordaeronian people. Remembering who they were, why they're raising the read still post Wotlk, and the fact they were once humans with a human kingdom. Not saying overthrowing Sylvanas, but trying to figure out an identity without a victim complex and evil stereotypes.

Goblins have a collective Flowers for Algernorn when Kajamite starts running out. People trying to go cold turkey, accepting their future, or trying everything but going back to living as animals.

I'm surprised with their dance emote and mohawk there aren't more hard rocking, brutal metal heads who think the whole thing is great.

>people tend to play goblins
more roleplay potential, goblins are infamous sluts

Don't forget the extra-quirky "he-he, you're silly, wanna go burn stuff?" types.
Male undead rock out, while female undead dance like they're in a trance rave.

Actually, that’s Pandaren

>that Forsaken part
Just fucking revive Uther as a Forsaken.

If the tech gets any more advanced, we may as well be playing Starcraft.

We already have airships, automatic guns, and fucking Mecha robots. What’s the point of a shield or magic when a guy in a bush ten yards away can silently blow your head off.

You want the Alliance and/or paladins to scream their head off more than they already have? A Forsaken Uther would be unconscionable. We already know his spirit is at peace, even when one of his proteges tries to destroy his monument.

>Undead Uther who doesn't immediately suicide
>Forsaken are now having a civil war between those who wish to join Uther and re-petition the Alliance for membership as loyal Lordaeronians and those who are up Sylvanas' ass or at least are more loyal to their new allies than their old lives.

They often are, but there used to be nothing saying they have to be. Most of them are understandably pretty somber, but that only ever feels anger shit didn't come about 'til later, around the time the Forsaken just started knocking over vats of plague and became a meme race. I'm really not interested in that stuff.

RPed a Forsaken for a few years back before I quit, here's what you used to run into. Hope this helps:

>VICTORY FOR SYLVANAS
The vast majority of Forsaken RPers. If you ever did a quest chain in Silverpine circa Cata, you've already met this character.

>MEME SCIENTIST
A member of the Royal Apothecary Society that doesn't know what the scientific method is, but he sure loves making abominations or blight or turnip monsters or whatever else.

>EDGY WARLOCK
Speaks for itself, might overlap with VICTORY FOR SYLVANAS. Replace warlock with rogue or death knight at your leisure.

>FIRE EMBLEM BANDIT
Thuggish undead crooks that don't really act like much has changed. I've got a soft spot for this kind of character, so not sure how objectively I can speak on them. May or may not be affiliated with the Deathstalkers in spite of not being professional in any way.

>THE LEONID
A Forsaken disappointed in his race's more diabolical traits that tries to be a good dude. These are rare and often tend to be a blast to RP with if done right.

>RP-PVP BROSAKEN
In my experience, RP quality is almost always directly correlated to how good the guy is at PvP. Not sure why that is. I knew a guy that played a Defiler, had his tabard and everything, did ranked all the time. I swear he read lore between queues or something.

>LORDAERON CITIZEN
Rare in the extreme and similar to the Leonid, this is just a guy that lived before the plague and plans to keep on keeping on now that it's all said and done with. So rare they're generally a treat when you do meet them. They often have surprisingly rich backstories about their mundane lives prior to the Scourge.

But what rhythm is there in this curse?

Hard to meet half of those guys when most RP happens in Orgrimmar, in the valley of courage.

The most BRUTAL of all

It's not like the Undercity is an RP hotspot, for good reason. Most people have to find an exceptionally good reason to tolerate a trip into the Undercity. It's pretty much exclusively designed for the Forsaken and is teeming with bad juju, especially in the throne room itself at the entrance.

Oh yeah, this is information a few years out of date. Back in Cataclysm, at least on my server, the RP community was fairly lively and had a great deal of variety. Most of it was bad, my own included, but world RP was quite easy to find both in Lordaeron and Kalimdor, even Northrend at times. There was one guild that hung around in fucking Un'goro of all places. I don't recall much about them, but they really liked dinosaurs. It's a shame how insular and guild-based WoW RP became. It's part of what drove me away. They basically nuked the concept of a lively world for the sake of preserving their subjective ideas of what constituted good RP.

>You want the Alliance
Who cares if you are part of the Horde and the Alliance treated the former Lordaerons as unholy abominations?

Is there a reason why everyone hates Silvermoon? I see tons of elves walking around dirt filled Orgrimmar teeming with lower races.

But the blood elf noble magister feels like Silvermoon sucks even more, or other elves feel unsafe.

It's a really good looking city that's filled with absolutely shitty RP and its in a really dated area of the game.

It's frustrating.

I generally used to go with a sort of brain damaged angle. Not necessarily stupid, but missing a portion of his personality. He'd probably fit under meme scientist right up until the moment someone gave him a reason to act serious, so it probably ranged into "let's burn things" more often than I'd like. That was after the RP had slowed down and become more isolated, and I was looking for literally anything to do. When everyone around you is an edgelord, it's harder to just be half-edgy.

That's the description of all 1st gen Death Knights. Well, except that paladin part, they were still just knights, paladins weren't a thing back then (until Chronicles and Legion retconned paladins existing since Strom)

Nukes. Except tauren, those are fine. And I guess trolls get a pass, but they are on the watchlist.

On RP servers, Silvermoon is the ultimate bottom-feeder site for Horde RP. It's where all the stick-up-their-ass elves stay when they don't want to deal with the masses, and since blood elves are guaranteed the most populous race among Horde PCs, this is difficult to ignore. I remember taking my troll shaman there a couple times just to mellow and mingle with the masses. She complained the energies in the air smelled weird, and she typically stuck to one of the few patches of greenery in the city. She did play hambone with a blood elf bard at one point and offer a blessing to a mother and infant lounging by a fountain, but not much more beyond that.

As says, it's also a dated zone.

You know what happens if Uther gets brought back? He bursts into flames out of sheer righteousness and decapitates the Banshee Queen with the handle-end of his hammer before he crumbles into dust. The dust blows itself into all of Nathanos's plague juice and turns it into Spirit Healer tears, vaporizing him and 90% of the remaining Forsaken instantly.

I forgot that one. In fact, there's quirky Harley Quinn girl, Blood Elf DK that only hangs out w/ Forsaken, Brain Damaged guy, and probably a few others I could think of, but a lot of them are pretty self-explanatory and I'd rather not color everyone's perception with my outdated RP biases. I assume the current Forsaken RP community on my server consists of "an insular guild or two and no one else."

That’s not his move set in Heros of the Storm.

This is a pretty comprehensive list of stereotypes. At least we know there's a couple legitimate angles you can take a Forsaken character that doesn't guarantee a descent into memes.

Since we’re still on the topic of RP. How many people actually enjoy playing as the guards? They seem to get insulted quite a bit. And is there a Horde equivalent to a police force? They have grunts on guard duty, but that still feels like part of the military than a police force.

Silvermoon is awful, ugly, and empty. Theres nothing there you can't do in Org, and Org isn't out in the middle of fucking nowhere on the other side of an instance portal.

Also, fuck elves. Horde should have gotten the broken or eredar who had turned against the BL.

chronicles said nothing on paladins existing since strom
that's more like druids were apparently a thing to everyone before Malfurion, but no one stayed long enough with Cenarius to be named a "proper" druid

Forsaken stereotype man here, I used to fucking love guard RP. It's a shame it would get you spit on ICly and OOCly about as quickly as being a cop would get you spit on by a real hoodrat.

Naturally, Uther respects the spirit of the competition and wants the less seasoned heroes to be sufficiently challenged.

>broken
>together with orcs
no way in hell any right thinking draenei, broken or not, allies with orcs. Orcs are the entire reason their people have been broken and destroyed. Even that cuck Velen has not the gall to demand of his people to forgive Orcs

>broken or eredar

That’s a weird way to say ogres.

I will say that one of my most admirable RP moments was in Silvermoon as an orc warrior. He was working as a recruiter/interview for a guild at the time and was stationed in Silvermoon (to his mild irritation). A blood elf DK approached and asked to join. The orc asked for his story; the blood elf said he only just came back after being lost for a long time, and the orc was the first person he came to meet. When pressed, he said he did have a family but didn't go back to them first because he was afraid of what they would say. My orc tore him a new one, calling him a coward and wretch for not going back to his family before anything else; he was legitimately offended that this death knight had the gall to come to him first and be scared of what his family might do. The orc turned his back on the blood elf and declared the interview was over, telling him to "come back when you get a spine." The DK nodded and left the room sulking.

It felt fucking good being able to tell off a belf DK for being the shitter he was, at least as a character.

As a fence sitter waiting to see how the new add on pans out before possibly selling my soul to the blizzard overlords, which races offer RP opportunities that are sadly underlooked?

Imo Pandaren since there's really just not a lot out there and their expansion is over.

>its in a really dated area of the game
It's ironic, really. When I first started the game in TBC, I preferred the draenei and blood elf starting areas for their newer, more balanced design. Then in Cataclysm, after the novelty of the revamps wore off, I STILL preferred them, this time because they were the only starting areas with open-ended old-school questing.

Well the problem now is that when the guard get involved, all of the military guilds get involved too. Just because you’re a seargant in a branch of the military, or a appointed knight who had an audience with Varian, you don’t get to make arrests or kill.

Well, I used to love herding the actually fully brain damaged sorts. I played my Forsaken as more completely positive. His face had no lips, so he was always smiling. He didn't particularly hate anyone or anything. There was nothing he liked better than to help. Only he was completely without any sense of remorse or shame at the same time. He was supposed to be disturbingly cheery and friendly.

The thing is, that personality only worked when he had opportunities for it to be channeled positively. Otherwise, he'd just start playing. Which tends to be meme science where you just concoct random potions and toxins, before finding someone dumb enough to drink them so you can see if they work properly on everyone.

And since I made GHI items to go along with them, I actually was testing them on random suckers to make sure they worked for everyone. That might have been rude.

Something to consider, I was thinking of rolling up a goblin or forsaken as hord or a worgan or specs goat for alliance

a lot of people here belong in /wowg/ or /v/

Trolls, period. There's soooo many things you can do with the Darkspears besides talk in a Jamaican accent. They're also one of the only "acceptable" Horde races left alongside tauren, in that you won't immediately get shot down just for playing one.

How can Pandarens be shamans?

I see tons of Pandaren around Stormwind. Orgrimmar doesn't really like it when squishy people enter the city. But the ones in Stormwind are usually just all silly random girls who just wanna cuddle with other Pandaren girls.

I find playing Darkspear so boring. Theres a whole spectrum of trolls to play, so why stick with the weakest, smallest, and most cowardly of the lot?

Because they're one with the elements? If goblins can do it by using digging machines, then spiritual pandaren can do it. Not to mention that monks are actually using a different form of shamanisim that uses more of the Firth Element: Spirit. Which they named Chi. Hence the ability to split into three elemental spirits and punch people to death.

Wish I knew more about them, don't really know more than Witch Doctor and berserker. I mean, what even is a shadow hunter, or what other ways are there to play them that makes them feel like a troll?

Because if everyone abandoned the Darkspears, no one is gonna remember that Vol'jin was Warchief for an expansion.

Because the Darkspears break a lot of the typical troll conventions and stereotypes. They aren't as cannibalistic, they use the voodoo in moderation, they've surrounded themselves with other races that give them lots of new information and points of view, they're still able to keep their culture, and the loa generally likes them. They may be one of the smallest troll clans out there, but that doesn't discount what they can do.

Because you hate everything and only feel pain doesn't mean you can't channel it into being a service to the community.

They've got elementals living on their turtle. Also

>Uther
>Not a gen 4 DK
He even has the four horsemen at his beck and call.

>the loa likes them
one weak loa liked vol'jin. Soon, their weak gods will be displaced for a true god. Blood and Souls for Hakkar

what was Yeh'kinyas deal? Is he still out there?

>what even is a shadow hunter
It's something between a hunter, a priest and a shaman, with some shadow affinity.

>Hakkar

Didn't work out so well for the Gurubashi, did it?

>what even is a shadow hunter
Put simply, the shadow hunter is the troll-exclusive hero class, a mixture of multiple classes like the shadow priest, the rogue, the hunter and the shaman. They are a big deal among trolls. Straight from Wowpedia:
>The shadow hunters (also spelled as shadowhunters and shadow-hunters) are masters of voodoo and shadow magic, were once upon a time the highest authority amongst trolls. Their spirit powers can both heal and curse, walking the line of dark and light in hope of saving the future of trollkind, doing whatever it takes to secure a future for their kin. The loa can channel themselves through the shadow hunters when they use their ceremonial rush'kah masks. They most commonly wield glaives.

I liked it better when Hakkar was some far flung entity from a different dimension that tricked the trolls into feeding it blood to destroy our reality. Now he's just some dark loa.

Magic and demons were cooler when it was all a big mystery and open.

>Darkspears break a lot of the typical troll conventions and stereotype

This is a reason AGAINST Darkspear. Their moderation just puts them closer to blue orcs with funny accents than something closer to their own identity. All the cannibalism, jungle squatting, loa-eating, voodoo, blood curse bullishit is unique. They abandoned all that to be more akin to the orcs of the Horde.
Play a Winterax instead. Be a dead tribe. Make up your own bullshit.

They're just glaive priests.

Don't forget that in Zul'Gurub 2.0, we freed Hakkar again from the shackles of the Gurubashi. That's yet to come back to bite us.

He's got talent to do that: Holy Fire.

They were a hero unit in the Warcraft 3 RTS. Could chain-heal like a Shaman, put down serpent totems that acted as turrets, hex single enemies in polymorph frogging, and their capstone ability let them break into a dance that made all allied unites in a big AOE around the hunter invulnerable to all damage, though the Hunter was vulnerable while doing so.

They were a sort of more martial shaman that dealt with Loa rather than the elements that the orcish and tauren shaman dealt with.

Well now you can play as Zandalari, the head troll honchos who learned how to stand up straight.

If the Darkspears didn't change the rules, they'd be fodder like every other troll tribe out there. No one likes the Gurubashi or the Amani or the Sandfury or the Drakkari because they're CUNTS. Vol'jin was willing to play ball with the Alliance, to boot.

>Vol'jin was willing to play ball with the Alliance, to boot.
waithwat.

Vol'jin was one of the most moderate of the Horde racial leaders, alongside Baine and Lor'thermar. There's a very strong chance we wouldn't be in this mess in Battle for Azeroth if he hadn't died at the Broken Shore. Instead, he's dead (and working as a spirit in Zandalar alongside Bwonsamdi), Sylvanas is the Warchief, and everything is going to shit.

You're right, not Chronicles. According to Legion, first "paladin order", Tyr's Guard predates Strom and Thoradin and was started by Vrykul before humans were even a thing.

Strength: 15
+2 per level
Agility: 20(Primary)
+1.5 per level
Intelligence: 17
+2.5 per level

>Hero Names: Zul'kis, Zul'abar, Zul'rajas, Zul'maran, Jo Jo Headshrinker, Shaka-zahn, Shakti-lar, Mezil-kree
>Unique Shadow Hunter: Rokhan
Rokhan joined Rexxar in the wc3 tft orc campaign
They attacked by throwing a glaive.

The lead-up to the Siege of Orgrimmar. Before then he was pretty firmly anti-Alliance, at least until he stopped being firmly anti-Alliance at the start of MoP so he could hate Garrosh more.

Why we needed to keep Garrosh. To make us strong to fight this Alliance scum.

it's a shame the frozen throne manual is so barebones

the WC3 one has tons more fluff

Yeah it's really bad.
It's understandable that the expansion isn't as filled in as the main game, but Beyond The Dark Portal had way more stuff.

This is all there is in the TFT manual except for unit descriptions.

I hope his presence in Zandalar means he gets resurrected by blood magic or something. They couldn't have focused a whole book around him only to do nothing before dying besides congratulating the hero on making a garrison.

And tapping the keg at Brewfest every year.

I suspect he'll end up a loa like his father did, or was at least implied to be (I can't recall).

Blizzcon interviews imply his spirit is still within the ashes Thrall is carrying around

Thrall has no friends left now.

He didn't deserve this.

Originally he was gonna' be just MIA in Legion after Broken Shore, telling Thrall and the other Horde leaders that he was going to go to someone who was around the last time the Legion invaded(implication being Bwomsamdi).

When that hit the beta, though, a lot of the Alliance playerbase went nuts at Varian dying while Vol'jin lived so "MIA" got turned into "KIA" at the last moment(hence why Vol'jin's death is far more sudden and lacking in substance).

The silver lining was that even a majority of the Alliance playerbase who payed attention to the lore afterwards went "wait, what the fuck was that?" in addition to the Horde playerbase going apeshit so now we have... this stuff.

>mfw blizz had to backtrack on two of their decisions(Vol'jin and Vanilla) in the space of one Blizzcon due to popular outcry

And this is for a team which hates admitting that they have any faults whatsoever.

Thrall didn't deserve this. Green Jesus did though.

I mean, kudos to them for running with the "Vol'jin is dead" plotline instead of just ignoring it.

Will never understand this meme. He was green jesus for all of a single xpac. He wasn't any worse than Tirion.

He was Green Jesus for a lot longer than that, it was just at its most obnoxious in Cata and didn't stop until Legion kicked him in the balls.

Also remember that literally everything Garrosh did is Thrall's fault

Well, to avoid harping too much praise, they basically spent an expansion ignoring it, the anger sorta hit a boiling point with 7.3 due to two main things.

1. In an expac that was already oversaturated with content geared towards Alliance players, Argus hit. In fairness, Argus lore-wise wasn't really popular with anyone but diehard Draenei fans on the forums, but the way players got to Argus was just sort of a big slap in the face to both the logic of the lore/universe and playing Horde.

2. WoW's forums got rid of downvoting which made posts get greyed out/vanish. Meaning that an explosion in both shitposting and valid points appeared because neither could be downvoted into oblivion.

>MoP barely features Thrall, makes it clear he needs help for everything
>WoD throws his mistakes in his face throughout all of Nagrand, even during the cinematic where he cheats at Mak'gora and kills Garrosh with a giant rock hand and lightning
>even in Cata he's just filling in because he's the most experienced Shaman who happens to still be in fighting shape
>TBC sees him making the mistakes that shaped Garrosh in the first place, and Wrath barely features him
>Vanilla was the WCIII status quo

Thrall never got to see the orcs' Promised Land, not really. He was never going to be the one to make the Horde something great - just to keep it from being wiped out. He's Green MOSES.

And him losing the Elements in Legion? Remember how Moses ticked off YHWH?

>Vanilla: Horde warchief
>BC: Horde warchief and you save his ass
>WotLK: Horde warchief and has a cutscene
>Cata: Green Jesus
>MoP: I'm retiring for good. Gets cockblocked by Varian and Taran Zhu when he goes for the Garrosh kill
>WoD: Acts as a liaison to his tribe. Saves your ass when you decide it'd be a good idea to solo the final boss of last xpac
>Legion: No idea, I'd quit by then.

This is not even remotely true. It'd be like saying everything Arthas did is Uther's fault because he didn't foresee the Lich King and kill him beforehand. Thrall fucked up by putting Garrosh in charge, but Garrosh's fuckups once he got there are on him, his fellow faction leaders and the writing team most of all.