/40krpg/ - Warhammer 40k RPG General

Wrath and Glory Edition

Previous thread: →

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.11) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/oocu0xqq97oa8pe/

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

Will W&G become the GURPS of 40k RPG systems?

I can't see it. W&G will be a loose system with one page of Equipment for different Races/Factions, incredibly vague Lore so that you can play anywhere and a heavy emphasis on being SPACE MARINES. I want to be optimistic, but I'm not.

It's a nice-looking PDF, but it doesn't tell us much more than we already know.

Where's this PDF from? I'm suscribed to their newsletter, Facebook page and checked their website and I can't find it.

>Combat should feel brutal, without being punishingly deadly for player
characters.
Not sure how I feel about this.The players barely being able to scrape by in most encounters is part of the charm of DH imo. But I guess it makes sense if you're trying to make a system where you can be a Space Marine as well as an Imperial Guardsman.

I-it's going to be good, right boys?

It was a booklet given out at Gencon and made digitally available for $0.00 on DriveThru.

Wasn't Shas running a playtest of a new homebrew a while back?

How did that turn out?

At the endo f the PDF, their spiel is

Unravel Conspiracies...
Discover Forbidden secrets...
Face Dire Foes...
And Triumph.

I think their distancing themselves from the old 40k RPG, where Triumph was always in doubt (and all the sweeter because of it)

My first iinstinct is that their going kiddy dnd your big damn heroes doing big damn heroics in this one (and if your space marines and eldar, that makes more sense)

Its not going to be our Dark heresy no more.

>My first iinstinct is that their going kiddy dnd your big damn heroes doing big damn heroics in this one (and if your space marines and eldar, that makes more sense)
>Its not going to be our Dark heresy no more.
Yeah, that's the impression I've been getting as well. The constant montra of "we're simplifying the shit out of things" is particularly worrisome to me, since I though DH 2e had the perfect blend of core complexity to ease of use.

>My first iinstinct is that their going kiddy dnd your big damn heroes doing big damn heroics in this one
Yes, this is definitely the feel I get.

I see, thanks.

Could be fun for one-shots though.

Depends on if they're drinking the kool-aid.

>Could be fun for one-shots though.
That's part of the problem I think, and it's an issue with 40k as a setting more than anything. W&G is aiming to be a DnD-style "group of adventurers wandering the setting and getting shit done" RPG, which just doesn't gel well with 40k as an IP, given that the only people who really do that are Inquisition, Rogue Traders, Eldar Outcasts/Drukhari, and Chaos worshipers (and even then, most of those people still have a boss of some sort they answer to). The setting just doesn't really lend itself to this kind of play.

For example, look at the Imperial story in the PDF. While it would be cool to run a session or two starring a Commissar, a Skitarii, and a Space Marine fighting a Genestealer Cult, there's no way that group would last longer than it took to wipe the cult. Eventually, the Commissar would have to report to the Departmento Munitorum for new orders, the Skitarii would report to a tech-priest for further instructions, and the Space Marine would return to his chapter. The only way I can think of for a long-term campaign to work with this premise is if the entire thing takes place in the Dark Imperium, which I have mixed feelings about.

>kiddy dnd your big damn heroes doing big damn heroics
So Dark Heresy Ascension?

Yeah, but would you want to play an RPG that's only good for one-shots?

I think that's the setting they're going for, but I can't say for sure.

Honestly as far as I'm concerned, I think there's still a lot of material for my group to go through from the 40k RPG before we get to W&G. Will probably use it for Xeno play if they're ever interested.

But you can essentially just say that they ARE actually working for Inquisition/RTs and so on. Why would you try to justify it any other way? You can easily explain why a single group got formed. I mean hell, my current group consists of two inquisitors (one is a psyker with psy-rating 13), a custom chapter space marine honor guard of the psyker inquisitor, a magos, a farseer and a mutant sister of battle. And our group is trying to help hold things together in the gothic sector, shortly after the destruction of Cadia.

>two inquisitors (one is a psyker with psy-rating 13), a custom chapter space marine honor guard of the psyker inquisitor, a magos, a farseer and a mutant sister of battle
oh shit nigger what are you doing

>mutant sister of battle
There better be a DAMN good explanation for this.

>my current group consists of two inquisitors (one is a psyker with psy-rating 13), a custom chapter space marine honor guard of the psyker inquisitor, a magos, a farseer and a mutant sister of battle

See, it's people like and Shas that W&G is aimed towards.

Protecting the Imperium at the cost of our lives and souls.
She got shot by three bolts of change. Nothing too terrible except for a tail and horns that are bent backwards.

which fucking failed and everyone hated how it destroyed the constant paranoia/danger feel of DH....

I liked it

well, that's fine, but, it completely derailed the style of DH towards an =I= flavored RT game.

I get why people don't like it, and find the reasons completely fair. It's just I prefer the more open and "get shit done" style of rpgs, so, as always, it boils down to skub.

Isn't that what a lot of systems are though?

It seems more like W&G, based on the story in the OP PDF, is going to be like those movies where a ragtag bunch of important Imperials end up together for a campaign.

It's a good concept, nothing wrong with it. It would've been silly for them to just release DH3.0.

>She got shot by three bolts of change.
Oh, okay, I could see that. I was under the impression that she was a mutant from day 1 or something. she should prolly be a repentia tho :p

I just want another only war type book

>as always, it boils down to skub.
I have a sneaking suspicion that's what's going to happen to /40krpg/ after W&G is released

>she was a mutant from day 1 or something
Nah, that would be retarded. Our party started as a bunch of acolytes with zero exp 20 years before Cadia got btfo. She joined us 5 years before Cadia at like 9k-ish exp, and farseer with the space marine tagged along after the fall of Cadia.

Shas uses a lot of homebrew in his games, and he always releases a compilation afterwards. His Tau/Dark Eldar game preceded Fear and Loathing. His Imperial Knight game was a test for The Fringe is Yours. His deathwatch game was a live-fire test for The Good the Bad and the Alpha Legion. Now he's running a Solar Auxilia game, so he'll probably have something for that as well.

>"group of adventurers wandering the setting and getting shit done"
Pretty much describes Freeblades and I'd love to see what they do with them, if anything.

wrong thread

Well fuck me, sorry guys.

Do people mind if the homebrew I came up with for running Titan RPGs isn't anything like FFG's systems?

Don't be a tease just post it

It's not done. It's got major balance issues too.

So, why is it that in Rogue Trader there are advances that players can buy despite it being part of their starting skills/talents?

For example, the Explorator starts with Common Lore (Machine Cult, Tech), but can also buy them with XP in the Level 1 Advances.

The Japanese built their entire RPG industry out of games that are only good for one-shots.
But they have an entirely different RPG culture, so that's cheating.

How long were you playing for? And yeah, I can see that at base DH2e really plateaus with power level, but we're the type of group who will start trying to port Ascension stuff soon...

What's the latest on this and when is the next version coming out? I've been more than patient!

All the starting skills are included in the rank 1 box (it's why astropaths can't actually buy any new psychic powers until rank 2) to give you a frame of reference on what each skill/talent costs.

Thank you, user.

So in all honesty, how do you balance the party everyone wants to play "regular" dudes like IG, inquisition, etc.
'cept that one guy that wants to play a marine.
Do you attempt to balance the party or does everyone just have to be okay with there being a god-mode character on the team that will outshine everyone?

They'll have to conform to the rest of the group's expectations for play, simple as that. If the others are fine with that one guy playing a stronger 'class', give all of them enough extra xp to help them keep up and shine as well.

Thanks for the PDF David!

Why would you have a space marine in the party with less than 13k exp? Just tell him that he can't do that.

>What's the latest on this
Latest version is 1.0.1. Next version will be 1.5.0
>and when is the next version coming out?
A week or two if I can keep myself away from Total War: Warhammer. Ran into some hurr and durr writers block with the famous mercenary companies and their rules and been busy writing for my ongoing game.

Also, was going to ask this as user but fuck it, I'm posting anyway.
Has there been any mentions of the Remembrancer profession surviving into the 41st millennium?

All the times Trade (Remembrancer) was in skill lists in DH1, RT, DW, BC, OW?..

As an official position? Not really, aside from the Ordo Chronos starting a war trying to kill one another over the timeline. Technically there are Imperial historians who act as Remembrancers, but it's not a
>creative types get hired to be witnesses to all events
position so much as it is a feudal guild job you're born into.

What factors decide whether something is a feral world or a frontier world? Because it seems like there's a large number of overlaps, could the defining difference be actual regular contact with the Imperium and some from of Imperial law and not just tribal warfare all day erryday?

Frontier worlds are usually recently established colonies and have some degree of Imperial civilization. Think "Wild West".
Feral worlds are utterly backwards shitholes where harsh climate, wild beasts and plain human violence breeds people into savages. It also has little to no Imperial civilization. Think Norsca.

There is overlap as it is with any planetary category and you regular contact is rarely a defining factor. Defining factors for Imperial planetary categories tend to be the tithing grades they can put on them which decides the amount of taxes the Imperium is able to extract.

Bobby G reestablished them.

Either everyone in the party is going to have to start at a much higher level to be on-par with the marine, or marine guy is going to have to suck it up and work within the parameters of what the GM and other players want.

My players are entering a haunted tomb on a roughly Medieval world to retrieve an ancient force sword. Some mutants are using the surface of the tomb as a base, not knowing what they're sitting on top of. Psychic disturbances have created animated suits of armor and a warp ghost of the sword's original wielder. I want another interesting encounter for variety. I was thinking maybe a blob of hungry ectoplasm, but wondered if anyone here might have an idea.

It turns out the sword is a daemon weapon.

A band of high Redemptionists attack the tomb hoping to purge mutants at the same time.

In Rogue Trader, can Navigators reasonably have Forge Worlds as the start to their origin path?

Lads, how do I handle PCs bribing people. I mean bribing a random guard shmuck is pocket change for a rogue trader, but I guess there should be something from preventing them from just bribing everyone they see with their pocket change, right? Cutting profit factor for this seems like a bit harsh thing to do, unless they are doing this all the time, but a couple guys here and there? Any suggestions?

Also in DH you could start out with a variant of the class, that didn't start with the standard starting skills/talents, so they included them in the Advances, so that you are not locked out of them completely.

>If they do it too often, word gets around and they get in trouble because of it
>Sometimes a person will accept the bribe but not do what was expected of them, teaching your players not to rely on this too much.

I want to play an Ork campaign

As did I, though the Influence in place of Requisition is a little bothersome since it makes bribing almost existent. My group forgets its existence because of it

In rogue trader, I’m looking to make a kroot character. What kind of build am I looking for, in regards to being decent at combat and a face? Thinking ranged sniping

Shas is one of those rare people without a filter. Whatever bizarre idea for a game he gets, he just acts on without hesitation.

Sure. AdMech ships need Navigators too. They probably have their own exclusive Navigator houses and your guy, for some reason or another, got transferred.

>Kroot
>Any xenos at all
>A face

In theory you could make a case with your GM as to why your character starts with X skill instead of Y default skill of the same value, or otherwise make use of the given xp values.

I'm worried an ork campaign would devolve into boredom over shitty parodies of ork voices way too quickly.

I don't even play any 40k games, RPG or otherwise, and I know all about those fucking voices.

So, I have a friend who's in the process of joining law enforcement, and he's really hesitant to "illegally" download anything. But I swear I remember hearing about a law where if something is no longer being produced, obtaining it for free online is not actually illegal (in the US).

Is that bullshit? Do the FFG 40k RPGs count as being unlicensed now, essentially?

So, I'm trying to make the Soul Drinkers using the Rites of Battle rules. How does this look?
>Reason for founding: Standing force
>Founded: 2nd Founding
>Progenetor: Imperial Fists
>Demeanor: Sons of Dorn
>Figure of Legend: Chapter Master Daenyathos
>Homeworld: Fleet-based (7 ships)
>Characteristic Bonuses: +5 BS & WP
>Solo Mode: Siege Master
>Squad Mode: Siege Breaker/Swift Advance
>Chapter Advances: No Respite for the Enemy
>Combat Doctrine: Lightning Strike
>Strength: Nominal
>Beliefs: Emperor Above All
Wasn't sure what to put for friends and enemies.

So I'm pretty new to the 40k universe in general and I've recently been invited to a new group to take part in a fresh 1st Edition Dark Heresy campaign.

Any tips for someone just getting into the setting and DH in general?

Anything I should be aware of that might fuck over my fellow players and ruin their experience?

Goes without saying I dont really want any advice on meta gaming.

>
For example, look at the Imperial story in the PDF. While it would be cool to run a session or two starring a Commissar, a Skitarii, and a Space Marine fighting a Genestealer Cult

This is literally the backstory for The Emperor's Gift though. A Fenrisian inquisitors is bros4lyfe with a couple of Grey Knights, and thus the GL and her warband have been gallavanting through the galaxy for decades getting shit done.

A constant of the 40k setting is that there are very few canon inconsistancies that cant be solved with "an Inquisitor arranged it".

GL=GK. Made a typo there

Kylo is not on the same level as Vader dude

You can still legally get them online though.

>Any tips for someone just getting into the setting and DH in general?
Understand that imperial society is incredibly restrictive and you are the ones to enforce that. Understand that you're at the minimum a believer (in the God Emperor) and at the most a fanatic. There's no room for atheists, unless your GM is running a strange Radical game. For Dark Heresy specifically, maybe take a look at the part of the Core Rulebook that gives a bit of detail about the Calixis sector, but that depends on how your GM will run things.
>Anything I should be aware of that might fuck over my fellow players and ruin their experience?
Psykers are the equivalent of D&D caster classes. However, every time they use their powers there's a risk of loss of control with random consequences. This is dangerous and has led to a party wipe in a game I was part of for example.
If you're asking how to build a good character, realize that equipment matters more than stats. Fully automatic weapons and weapons with the Accurate quality are two different but equally "overpowered" choices. Pack a lot of grenades as well. Do make constant use of cover.

Know that nothing you do matters. You are but a tiny cog in a much greater machine, and that machine is breaking down and falling apart all around you. All you can do is try to hold what tiny part of it you can affect together for another day, or another week.

Guess who isn't on the same level as Kylo.

Thanks for the tips user.

In relation to roleplay, are there any obvious faux pas I should work to avoid?

Also what are the chances of getting some sick gear if I suck up to whatever equivalent of a quartermaster exists?

You need to accept and lean into the setting, which means you believe in and venerate the Emperor, and this informs everything from the minute details of your life to the way you approach your job as an Acolyte.

This is not the type of game where you can have a party of murderhobos and one Paladin who always looks the other way; that’s not Dark Heresy or 40k. You are members of the Spanish Inquisition WHO KNOW FOR AN IRREFUTIBLE FACT that the Devil, Cthulhu, Baphomet, and Ouroboros are all real and actively waging war against humanity.

If you’re asking this question, you can’t handle subverting the setting. I’m running a campaign with a player like you and it is literal hell on the rest of us to not just murder him to retain some
semblance of authentic tone.

>which just doesn't gel well with 40k as an IP
Given all of the warpstorm madness there's actually a fair niche for that now. It's the old scifi chestnut: A single motley group can get some stuff done in all of the chaos that needs doing, and the primary force or authority doesn't have the same opportunity.
Mandates from whatever overlords they happen to have and bam, you've got your special team bouncing from point of interest to point of interest.

Or you can just do some ridiculous shit as a crew of Ork freebooters.

>with a player like you

Will all respect user, you don't know what kind of a player I am and it seems a tad silly to jump to conclusions based on me asking how to avoid being a fuckup.

But I appreciate your response regardless and will take your advice on how to approach roleplaying in the setting to heart.

Of course I may also be reading your response incorrectly so I apologize if I took that the wrong way.

Also, if you buy a variant level 1, such as Drusian Adherant, it shows you what gets dropped from character gen, so you don't end up loosing the core conept of the character, but you do loose some of the features because of the alt level.

By “a player like you” I meant “a player who is new to the setting and doesn’t necessarily understand its intricacies until it interacts with the plots that it’s designed to create.”

He is a player who said “oh cool you’re all religious fanatics well I don’t believe in it” and I should’ve told him tough shit, I didn’t, and we’re all paying the price.

Well you are not going to be either of those things if you are a Kroot. Kroot excel at two things. Melee combat and Sneaking. Your job is to smash into something and bring it down while the rest of the party keep things off of you. A 500 point character feature you have is Unnatural Strength. neither of what you are thinking about uses that. Finally, you have the ability to gain temporary hitpoints, something you should use to survive, since you can't wear decent armour. Doing either of those things just doesn't work with kroot, since thats not what kroot do. They sneak up, shoot a volley then charge while their opponent is recovering. You cannot build a face/sniper with kroot.

Ah then I apologize. Jumped the gun there.

yeah that sounds like exactly what I want to avoid. Im not 100% sure I can pass off a religious fanatic character off the bat but I'd like to be able to work my way towards it as I get more comfortable with the setting.

user, thats never stoped most of us from trying a homebrew that sounds like s kick ass premice. i was thinking of working on somthing simular, jus life got in the way.

Have a rival rogue trader laugh in their face for not simply ordering guards out of the way or charming their way past. "You PAY people to not hinder you!? Wow, you really are desperate, do you need a loan?"

>just bribing everyone they see
That only really works if you're the only one making it rain or they fear you more than they fear their employers/your rivals/the one's they're snitching on.

>If they get caught doing this, will you also offer them protection from retaliation and a stable income so that they can keep taking care of their families?
>Will they give keep giving you good intel or feed you bullshit every now and then just to get more dosh?
>Will your enemies use this to run misinformation campaigns on you?
>Will they simply take the money then screw you over anyways?
These questions might help make things interesting without just stone-walling your players.

Has anyone contemplating statting up the Yu'Vath?

Was contemplating an Only War game that takes place during the Angevin Crusade.

Rey faced a Force user who was naturally shit with his lightsaber (something we haven't ever seen) who was already wounded and tired.

Aside from what I said above and what the other more aggressive user told you, a common mistake that I've seen even among my players is forgetting to keep their cover. If your master sends you on a covert mission (which can be quite often), always maintain that cover identity.

As for your second question, yes, that's the preferable way to do it. You're not explorers so there's no "looking for treasures". However your mileage will vary by GM, as I tend to keep my players hungry.

Hope these tips will help you a little, glad to see new people joining the game!

Also in the middle of a hilarious shiftfit giving him about zero self control. Vader, he is not (But then, that's the point of him. He's a pale shadow of the man he wants to be and it doesn't seem actually has talents in the same areas. When he was controlled? He showed force mastery that Vader would find impressive but he's kinda shit with a blade, while Ani was a genius with the saber but lacked the even temper for a lot of advanced force stuff while he was a jedi.)

Kylo isn't even on the same level as Maul.