>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/: Which are the better reptilians, Lizardmen, Kobolds, or Dragonborn?

4e's art is really bad.

Kobold

Kobold and Dragonborn are not reptilian. They are dragon. Leaving tortle as worst and frogpeople as the better of one.

Is there a version of MPMB's character sheet that's been updated for XGE?

or any character builder, really

Better than some of the shit in 5e

>Frogs
>Reptilian

All of 4e's are is worse than like, 90% of 5e's art. It's trash.

Still better than pathfinder though.

>frogs
>reptillian

>dragons, not reptilian
>frogs, reptilian

You sure about that user?

>Which are the better reptilians, Lizardmen, Kobolds, or Dragonborn?
Kenku

>Amphibian
>Reptilian
Same difference

lol, wow

>Draconic
>Reptilian
Same difference.

>Wizards
>Not reptilian
You know we're being controlled, user.

so how is draconic not?

Lizardman more akin to snekman and naga.

let's not get reductive

Feel like shit because I did a bad job DMing today

you beat all the other DMs who didn't DM today.

then you should, do better next time

Did anybody do a Kython conversion to 5e?

What happened reptilianposter?

Better luck next time. At least you realized you did a shit job and can learn from your mistakes.

That reminds me of a character concept I've been wanting to play:
Kenku Eagle Totem Barbarian. When you rage, you can mimic the screams of your past victims.

Herpetologists study reptiles and amphibians, so honestly if they don't care then why should you

sounds gay

you go get a statement from them saying they "don't care" and come back with that

>frogs
>reptilians

anyways, Im not even sure. Whole session was basically a dungeon crawl that ended in a temple where the PCs found a religious artifacts that they brought back to the council of the city.
I didnt manage to make them interested in the plot at all and they didnt seem to care about the danger it posed.
Not even sure what to do differently or how to make them care more

why do people hate Hexblades so much? On paper it seems like such a fun class to play that's really well balanced and interesting to play.

We've all been there, user.

If this is a constant thing, it may just be that you're not suited to DMing. Not all of us have the knack, even if we know the rules right to the very core. I'm like that, but probably because I'm too self-conscious. I know for sure I'd improve the more I DM, but I bet I'd never get over that self-consciousness.

For those of you who play 5E correctly with grid based combat, how does your table handle diagonal movement?

If you can quote me a herpetologist saying that frogs are reptiles, then you win 1 Internet user

Biologists study all animals.
If they don't care I don't see why you should.

because it's frontloaded so all the boring minmaxers and multiclassers have turned it into a meme subclass. If you just pay it without fucking about there's nothing wrong with it

We play on a superior hex grid.

... The same as moving non-diagonally?

Why is this a question?

>"Dragon are not reptilian" - dragon expert 2018

5e literally is not at all intended for grid play, it's a variant rule for exactly these kinds of reasons which is also why all the distances are given in feet not squares. anyway I think you're supposed to simplify diagonals into 5ft distances too answer your question

It works fine if you just do one square per 5', even diagonally. It's not so much of a big deal that it really breaks the game. But if it bothers you, just use the old 1.5-squares-diagonal from 3.5.

When frogs were classified as amphibians herpetologists didn't just throw their hands up in the air and just stopped studying frogs because the weren't reptiles anymore. Same thing now that birbs are reptilian, herpetologists don't study birds now. You both missed the point that amphibians are closely associated with reptiles

So because my DM's been a bit on and off recently, and I'd rather be playing with people irl more. I'm starting a group, so far I've got 2 people down for it.

I'm planning of running a modified version of lost mines of phandelver leading into PotA because I've never run anything beyond a few one-shots. The big issue I'm facing is when I ask people how do I explain D&D to them?

Amphibians might be related to reptiles but they're specifically not reptiles.
>t not a reptilian.

You tell them to bring some dice to session 0, you help them build their character then, and walk them through how skills and combat work (say the thing and roll the dice)

>birds are reptilian now too
>eventually user will say Variant Human is the best reptilian race in 5e

user, if I ask you "What's a good car?" and you say "A submarine, because they're both vehicles", you deserve to get laughed at.

Wholesome as fuck!

Variant human are not human and should be purge.

Yeah but before even that, when asking someone who's never heard of D&D before, how do I explain ttrpg's in general?

Also does anyone have tips for dumb players? One guy who I'm going to invite is honestly dumb as a sack of rocks but he's a great person, I figure I'll obviously steer him towards trying a martial first time, likely a Barbarian or Fighter would appeal to him anyway.

>Tfw haven't played DnD in months
It hurts a little

Tell them ttrpgs are fun, friendship building games where you can literally so anything within reason. Just don't be a piece of shit.

We got tired of the old 5-10 rule, so we just do 5ft per square regardless now. The only complaint we had with grid combat recently wasn't even about that anyway, it was about my DM trying to say that a player couldn't use Lightning Bolt to hit two enemies because the grid wouldn't line up. Think a chessboard and put one enemy at d2 and the next at c4. Eventually he relented after I read the fucking definition of a line a few times, but it did bring up that sometimes lines are hard to judge without a template stick.

>One of my friends thinks wot4e is the best monk because he can blow his load by spending all of his ki on fist of unbroken air
>he even calls it wotOP

>Has numerous effects that would be nigh-impossible to track without at least a 2D map rather than in your head, such as auras centred on you that slows everyone's movements
>Not designed for grid play
The ft system allows you to use no grid at all and use a ruler instead, or easily say 'Oh, they're 500ft away in the distance' rather than having to tell the players 'the enemy is 100 squares over there' and they say 'what the fuck is a square?'

>how do I explain ttrpg's

"Remember when we/kids used to play Cowboys and Indians/Cops and Robbers? How everyone pretended to be someone else? D&D is kind of like that, but with rules to avoid 'I shot you!' 'Nuh-uh!' arguments."

"You can make a character which you will guide through a fantasy world of various scenarios. I, the DM/GM, will let you know how the world and everything within it reacts to your characters and what they do."

Then you can start giving examples of rolling dice in combat.

lying frogposter

>you can literally so anything
don't tell people this. It just leads to "I'd like to roll dick size" and "can I yank his dick off? i'm gonna roll for it"

people are fucking stupid

Does freedom of movement prevent stunned since stunned is a condition that would otherwise reduce your speed to 0?

>Not realising that 21d10 + Push and Prone is the best Monk in the game
lmao

If your friend is
>having fun
>not gimping the party

then who cares?

dude let him have fun

If your dexterity sucks (Why?) and you're at level 3 or 4, then yes, he's right. It's pretty good.

However, link him here and make him give his argument so we can shit all over him.

Wot4e is actually decent at high levels just because you can start doing things like cast Fly on yourself. Low levels it's trash though.

I'm playing in a West Marches and they let us roll for stats.

I rolled (before racial modifiers): 15, 16, 13, 11, 16, 17

All WotC material is accepted (even UA). What should I play?

Isn't Ki usage capped per spell?

hexblade

depends on what you enjoy playing

Whatever you want.

Seriously, with stats like that you can go nuts.

>frogposter
What?

>Two 18's at level 1
Literally anything

Sorry to not answer your question, user, but I wanted to warn you about PotA. Prepare to do a lot of writing and prep work because the book (in my experience) does an incredibly poor job of setting things up and letting them fall into place naturally. The world is definitely far from concrete and the cultists are straight-up, "Saturday morning cartoon," villians. I may be full of shit to some people in that regard, but I felt like the cultists could be suspended more in a way that pertains to duplicity and devious natures.

By that point you have a spellcaster or magic item that can do those things for you.

Honestly despite everything WOT4E isn't utterly useless, but it could definitely be improved upon, and I still wouldn't take it for neither flavour (the abilities barely simulate flavour) or mechanics.

Honestly its biggest downfall is it hardly simulates that 'avatar' feel.

Be a wood elf monk and take mobile feat for maximum fast

What level?

you can make any class and make it work. Even a Samurai Fighter would be insanely strong with stats like those.

>Roll for stats
Can we just boycott any and all posts that even imply anyone rolls stats in 5e?

So I'm going to be in my first 5E campaign starting tuesday, running a Forest Gnome Monk (Open Hand). Basically playing the character as somebody who was booted from his monastery for challenging the philosophy they preached (strength for the sake of strength is its own reward) and struck out to find some purpose to apply his strength towards while finding strong enemies to test himself against and improve. Basically Gnome Goku but smarter and without the ki blasts even though Sun Soul is a thing.

Yesterday I had an epiphany of sorts. Forest Gnomes get Minor Illusion as a cantrip. I can literally perform the After Image Technique.

Level 2

That's just it, with stats like these I could play anything. I now have too many options of what I would like to play.

>stats like these
>Insanely strong
It's about average for roll for stats fags. Someone else in the party will have 20s at level 1 and dominate them, so samurai won't cut it.

Rolling for stats is a dickwaving contest based on pure chance and cheating.

Stop telling people how to have fun.

>play with normie friends
>always roll for stats
>everyone always has either mutiple 18s or a 20 at level 1
>have fun
>none of my campaigns have ever gone past 6
It's bittersweet

I know better. I know what true fun is.
And it is not rolling for stats.

I will become a lich and hopefully ascend to use my godly powers to make all people use point buy in the world from then on.

Rolled 3, 2, 5, 1, 2, 1, 1, 6, 3, 6, 4, 1, 6, 1, 3, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3, 5, 6, 5 = 84 (24d6)

Rolling straight down the line for shadow dragonborn oathbreaker . Also posting a gambler.

>Level 2
Lame. Why does it seem like I'm the only person in /5eg/ who has a group that plays level 10+ consistently?

Muscle Wizard aka War Wiz

Because 5e tends to shine at around level six, and people enjoy starting low so they can either have the fun of choosing their archetype or so they can have fun multiclassing as they go.

Frankly speaking, multiclassing goes best when your roleplaying matches it.

If it's a spell or magical effect, it wouldn't reduce the target's speed. I think. But Stunned doesn't reduce speed and isn't Restrained or Paralyzed, so it isn't covered. Almost nothing can prevent, resist, or cure stunning.

A 5ft by 5ft square has a diagonal length of about 7ft, so rounding to closest 5 it takes 15 feet of movement to move 2 squares diagonally, 20 feet of movement to move 3, 30ft to move 4 etc

Fist of Unbroken Air is not a spell.

>Rolling
Shit
>Dragonborn
Shit
>Paladin
powergaming shit
>Oathbreaker
powergaming shit
>4d6d1
SHIT
>Down the line
only redeeming quality

>none of my campaigns have ever gone past 6

Boost the XP you hand out next time you try a new campaign.

>TFW friends beg me to actually move back up so I can DM for them again
>Move back up for personal reasons
>Test the waters with a premade, silly adventure
>they couldn't even fucking do that
>they act like it was my fault that they were worthless flakes
>that didn't read any of the rules
>despite giving them literal months of warning I'd be alright with starting the game when I came back up.

Haven't even been able to look inside a PnP book since I went on vacation last week, after 2 years. Gutwrenching.

Half elf sorcadin. +2 cha, +1 strength and wis putting you at

17+1 strength
13 dex
16 con
11 int
15+1 wis
16+2 cha

If you're going to be like that then fist of unbroken air has no clause that allows you to spend more ki
Now you can't boost its damage at all
Checkmate.

Hey can you guys help me out on where to take this build? Been playing it with some friends and it's doing wonders but I think I've peaked:

Level 7 Half Orc Barb (Bear Totem)
Rolled Stats (these were REALLY good):
20 STR
17 DEX
19 CON
10 INT
12 WIS
15 CHA

Good Half-Orc bonuses and got Tavern Brawler at 4 since I don't really need stat boosts and I wanna be a punch man, brought CON up to 19

Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Survival are my skills, Outlander background, was thinking about picking up Orcish fury from Xanathar's just for the 20 CON

I have a +1 longsword but that's basically the emergency weapon for when punching the thing just doesn't cut it, what are my options from here up to 15-20?

>Have never had a game make it past level 3 unless we start there
it's just pure sour.

STR = 10
DEX = 9
CON = 13
WIS = 14
INT = 12
CHA = 16

Did I do it right?

how the actual fuck are Dragonborn powergaming

Looks like you'll have to dip Hexblade to top off the edgy powergaming.