EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Tutored edition

Previous: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
How much do you value tutoring? What do your tutoring packages look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cretaceous-charge/
mtg.gamepedia.com/List_of_unreleased_mechanics
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-12-17-tXi-dino-tribal/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lifegain-theme/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-05-17-ybr-maralen/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Maralen
No one actually runs this shit, do they?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cretaceous-charge/

I need to remove one card. Halp plz

Stuff I want to see in the C18 decks

>Elves
>Rehashing old gimmicks like Partner/Eminence/Planeswalker or other non-Creature Commanders/Lieutenant
>Conspiracy style cards that sit in the Command Zone
>New cards that benefit from multiplayer, like the Offerings/Join Forces and voting cards from Conspiracy, and the Vows/Curses
>Curses, but positive; "whenever enchanted player attacks a player or planeswalker you don't control" they get some nice effect.
>Reprints and new art/flavour cards that give snippets of what old planes are like now
>The Tribal supertype
>Eldrazi
>A creature that lets you search your Library, Hand, Command Zone, Exile, or Graveyard for your Commander and put it into play.
>Cards that interact with Exile (think Coax from the Blind Eternities or Riftsweeper)
>Wedge/Slice coloured Partners
>Commanders that are monocolour with hybrid or off colour symbols to change their colour identity
>Cards from Un-sets reworked to be black border
>Ninjas
>Old underused mechanics that might be parasitic: Revolt, Energy, Cartouches, Shrines, Exploit, Embalm, Eternalize, Splice (but not into Arcane), Soulshift,
>A pseudo Suspend that works for a Commander
>A Commander with no casting cost, but something like Dash/(Mega)morph/Ninjutsu or an ability that puts it into the graveyard
>Alternately a Commander with no casting cost at all, but some sort of ability (Command Beacon and Elvish Piper effects would still allow it to be played, though) Although that's basically just Vanguard.
>Alternate Win conditions
>Pirates
>Treasure tokens and Clue Tokens
>Something that grants Madness and/or Cycling and/or Reinforce and/or Channel and/or Bloodrush
>Offering (from Kamigawa)
>Hideaway Permanents (from Lorwyn)
>A vehicle that gains any keywords that Crewing creatures have.
>The Monarch
>Some of these mtg.gamepedia.com/List_of_unreleased_mechanics

>Can't even build a Tribal deck on his own

Does this work how I think it might with Gishath?

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cretaceous-charge/
magmasaur seems like an easy cut

>>Thread Question
>How much do you value tutoring? What do your tutoring packages look like?
i try not to run any tutoring if possible. it makes every game the same.

I'd like to see Amplify and Provoke back.
Mainly a Jund lands commander, but those two abilities would be neat.

Any suggestions for a five colour Elf tribal deck?

Karona is probably the best Commander option, and would likely only come out in time for a final strike.

I made a list of all Elves that have non-green, non-black colours that make me want to do five colour elves in the first place. It also just seems like an interesting challenge/idea.

Blue:
Edric, Spymaster of Trest
Ezuri, Claw of Progress
Master Biomancer
Simic Guildmage
Zameck Guildmage
Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
Sages of the Anima
Nissa, Steward of Elements

White:
Joraga Auxiliary
Mercy Killing
Rhys, the Redeemed
Selvala, Explorer Returned
Wilt-Leaf Liege

Red:
Mina and Denn, Wildborn
Tana, the Bloodsower
Radha, Heir to Keld
Bloodbraid Elf

Yeah, lets you get your Bontu's Monument/Aetherflux Reservoir/Vizier/Altar way faster. Sucks if you hit 2+ with one creature though. Remember to bring a Phytotitan.

Matter of balancing functionality and Tribal. Sometimes there’s some things that aren’t ideal but they fit the theme, so you keep them again.

I’d really prefer not to cut anymore creatures given that the deck is about hitting with Gishath to get Dinos from your deck and I’m already worried I’m under a critical threshold for number of dinos.

I’m kinda considering cutting Sun-Blessed Mount and Huatli Dinosaur Knight, then replacing the Sun-Blessed Mount with a different dino.

>>Thread Question

I only really run 1 to 3 tutors in any one deck. Random draws are more fun to me and help keep games from feeling samey.

I posted here last night saying i found a box of my old cards, and if anyone is curious the most valuable find was a pair of grim tutors
das it

I only keep a couple tutors for Food Chain.

Used to run it in Rakdos stax alongside Stranglehold. It was a cute combination

I don't invest in the expensive tutors like vampiric/grim. I'm partial to increasing ambition in black, I always like to have at least 2 or 3 tutors in any given deck

I'm extremely light on tutors in most of my decks save Taigam, who runs six to fetch a variety of wincons/stabilizers. Ironically, my most "black" deck only runs Beseech the Queen.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-12-17-tXi-dino-tribal/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lifegain-theme/

I'm literally thinking of making a pirate deck next, but before I do that can I get any advice or comments on these? the lifegain deck was originally a proper vampire tribal but then things got shifted around.

Of course!

Lucky you, after running mono black I can’t play with any other color

>what?? A deck doesn’t have at least 5 tutors???

How do I make this work, /edhg/? The siren song of Izzet is simply too much to resist, but I know not what I'm doing here.

What cards do I add to these six to make a halfway decent spellslinger shell? Who do I put at the helm? With Cloven Casting being in consideration, I've been thinking about using:
>Yidris
>Maelstrom Wanderer
>Narset
>Kess
>Melek
>Jhoira

I'm paralyzed by indecision, redpill me on your favorite URxy cards.

Have you considered cutting some of the more vanilla dinosaurs for some non-dino value cards? I'd be looking at cutting:

>Charging Monstrosaur
>Colossal Dreadmaw
>Fungusaur
>Snapping Sailback
>Sun-Blessed Mount
>Huatli, Dinosaur Knight
>New Horizons
>Trace of Abundance

You only have 4-6 ways of triggering enrage, so I'd add a few more fight cards. Ulvenwald Tracker for sure, maybe Unnatural Aggression.

This deck seems like it folds to board wipes pretty hard, so Boros Charm or Heroic Intervention might be considerations.

I'd probably jam Pandemonium, Warstorm Surge, or Purph to get some value from the dinosaurs you flip into.

More ramp, goes without saying. Birds, Elves, the last signet, Farseek. I also wouldn't say no to an Overrun or two. That Naya Ultimatum, Pathbreaker Ibex, or Overwhelming Stampede.

I dunno man, I don't think dinosaur tribal is there yet.

>eminence

If you want Swarm intelligence to come down earlier, you could replace it with Mirari.
If you wanna keep all those enchantments, Cloud Key could be put in, Mana Matrix, Primal Amulet, and others.
I'd say either Ydris, Maelstrom Wanderer, or Vial Smasher and other dude of your choice can be fine spellsinging casters. Also X spells are very very good with Vial Smasher.

>wants more treasure tokens
me too, but it feels really shitty that they added them in this set when they should;ve just gone with gold tokens, that way there is more support in magic's history for cards like treasure cove

Gold would have been busted AF in the same standard as improvise. This is honestly one of the few times I think Wizards made the right call on something like this.

how would it be any different? treasure tokens are functionally identical to gold tokens with the exception of their name, which is what treasure cove and revel in riches care about.

Treasures need to be tapped, gold doesn't.

They are not functionally identical: Gold doesn't have to be tapped to sac it. With Improvise, gold can pay for 2 mana for your improvise spell whereas treasure can only pay for one.
That is a BIG difference.

damn, you're right. But i'm pretty sure you can't tap for improvise and then sac for mana for the same spell. and if this is the case, treasures are more broken this way, you can improvise one spell and then sac for another.

>No one actually runs this shit, do they?

My buddy runs Maralen to do one thing, really. Tutor for Ad Nauseum, kill everyone (including himself) with Sickening Dreams.

It really only works once with a group before you learn when to counterspell him, but it's funny as shit.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-05-17-ybr-maralen/

Gold doesn't tap, Treasure does.

Also, I really wish there were more and better pirates. I wanted to make a Beckett Brass deck, but it's just not good enough. Hopefully with Rivals it will be. I'm expecting at least one more Legendary Pirate, maybe two, since there are four groups within the Brazen Coalition. Captain Ripley Vance will probably get one. It'll probably be one of each Grixis pair and Pirate Mama as the wedge.

You can keep the Treasure around after Improvising, but you can't Improvise and sac, since tapping is part of the Treasure's ability. It can't tap twice.

>It'll probably be one of each Grixis pair and Pirate Mama as the wedge.
Oh wait, I'm a dumbass, Lannery is monoRed.
Vance's Blasting Cannons are also red, so Vance herself is likely to be Red.

>treasures are more broken this way, you can improvise one spell and then sac for another.
Gold lets you do the same thing but also gives you the ability to tap AND sac them for effective 2 mana for an improvise spell if you so chose.
That's why WoTC didn't reuse gold.

angrath could be the captain of the dire fleet. they are rakdos and he likely is as well. and the "deadeye" fleet honestly sounds like it should belong to vraska but appear to be blue/black.

so maybe we'll at least get a legendary dimir pirate in rivals in addition to angrath.

Still hoping for at least two pirate Legends.
Then again, the Dinosaur tribe only got Gishath and the two Huatlis.

Well, to be fair, dinos has a very narrow cardpool right now, so really not enough of them to varrant 3 2c legends yet

There are only seven more Pirates than there are Dinosaurs.

Also apparently Admiral Brass is also captain of the Fathom Fleet. The tiny card art really doesn't do her justice.

>imminent doom
Stopped reading right there.

We're not getting tribal again so soon.

>you can improvise one spell and then sac for another.

No, that's what you could do with Gold.

>elves
Strike one
>Eminence
Strikes 2 through 10. Get the fuck out.

Since this IS an EDH thread, speaking of Beckett Brass and co, which of the 59 pirates that currently exist are worth it?

I feel like there are maybe 30 good cards for a Pirate deck, at a stretch.

Gimmie some sweet shit for a spellslinger kinda deck with this guy at the head. Already have an Equinox that I pulled from a Legends pack.

teferi's response, that enchantment that makes all lands indestructible.

>a Commander with no casting cost at all, but some sort of ability (Command Beacon and Elvish Piper effects would still allow it to be played, though) Although that's basically just Vanguard.
oloro and the eminence commanders are already that though, with the upside of also being able to be creatures.

Inquiry about MTGO. Firstly, is WotC planning anything with promo codes and, if so, why the fuck have they been shitting the bed on it? Secondly, are they going to be improving the payout with play points? Would prefer they remove them completely because tix can at least be exchanged for something worthwhile.

More relevant discussion...

How combo-y can I go with Ghave? I've got the "infinite X" stuff put to paper and planned. I'm just curious if there's more to do aside "Craterscoop and gg". Also, is Mirri not popular as a commander because cats don't have the kind of tribal support they need to be more viable? Or is "voltron or bust" as much as anyone wants to do with them?

Can this bear-punching motherfucker be built for cheap? Does anyone have a list?

I would wait if the 2nd set in the block wields any other playable shit. Dito for dinosaurs btw.

>Limiting yourself to just tribal creatures and tribal cantrips
A good tribal deck doesn't rely solely on what the tribe provides unless you're goblins. A functional tribal deck uses tech outside its pool and other creatures to supplement their shortcomings.

he doesnt actually do anything so just play RGU goodstuff I guess.

I just built my Noyan Dar deck, so I don't have any fancy ideas to offer you. I have Capsize in mine, but I've been thinking of adding some more buyback spells like Clockspinning or Mystic Speculation. Personally my deck feels like it's not drawing enough spells most of the time, so I should probably cut down on some permanent cards and maybe add a bit more draw.

Yeah, I'm not sure where to draw the line between spells that aren't super impactful (ie Ponder, Preordain, Brainstorm, etc) and mana rocks. Buybacks spells are good though. Was definitely gonna have Mystic Spec in mine.

Yeah, but I want something more interesting. Like Eminence that makes your hand size or life total change, or gives you some ability not related to tribal synergies. Basically an enchantment that can't be countered. Maybe some sort of alternate win condition. Or an ability similar to Ninjutsu (since Ninjutsu is from hand only) or Dash (so that it goes to your Command Zone to the Battlefield, then to your Hand).

I just want INTERESTING Commander mechanics.

Also I want a better version of Alesha.

>Every trans woman I know: "Alesha gives me life"
>Me: "Needs more Green".

I mean, fine, keep her Mardu, but give me something more interesting than reanimator that relies on me attacking, a thing I rarely want to do in EDH.

He's shit compared to the superior version. She also comes with the color of pillowfort.

Forgot image

t e f e r i ' s r e s p o n s e

Beckett is maybe the best thematic 'steal shit tribal' commander. Try digging into those kinds of cards.

>Every trans woman I know: "Alesha gives me life"
>Me: "Needs more Green".

>Superior version
>One of the ugliest card arts in MTG history
how can people even stand to have such hideous art in their EDH decks...

I want more interesting cards as well, but I don't think they'll ever go back to making interesting cards. They'll also focus on combat more.
Jund lands commander WHEN, or any tri commander that deals with lands really

I've been thinking about that as well. When it comes to mana rocks I only have sol ring, azorius signet and thought vessel in mine, but I would really like to have some more actual land ramp since the deck becomes inherently fragile by turning lands into creatures. Unfortunately that doesn't really exist in the colors so I have burnished hart, knight of the white orchid and sword of the animist. The latter in particular is good when you get it out early and can start attacking but a bit unreliable otherwise. Regarding the smaller draw spells I'm not sure what the correct number is either.

>Ugly card
>Implying aesthetic>function
Everything from Kaladesh forward is ugly as fuck, save Ixalan. Only real "saving grace" of those sets were the inventions/invocations, and the latter were unreadable shit.

>Implying aesthetic>function
EDH exists to showcase your mtg bling, yo. Playing cards with ugly art in an EDH deck is like wearing a Flava Flav clock to a wine tasting event.

Disgusting.

>Only real "saving grace" of those sets were the inventions/invocations
>Liking Wizard's latest shitty cash grab strategy
frig off, mongoloid!

actually the inventions are pretty cool, I was just being mean sorry

>Everything from Kaladesh forward is ugly as fuck, save Ixalan.
so you didn't like one commander set and one plane?

There are plenty of interesting cards being made. I just want more, and I want them to be interesting in very specific, very pointless ways.

I mean, I was thinking of doing Mark of Mutiny, Hijack, Traitorous Blood, all that shit, along with Conspire and Arcane Adaptation and Xenograft, but those are just more of what Admiral Mom already does, not anything that synergizes well.

One of the shortcomings is that there are only 30 good cards in the tribe, and that's stretching it.
I'd rather not have a tribal deck where I only have 30 of 100 cards devoted to the tribe.

>Implying I bought into the invocation hype
Sold that shit for store cred to build decks, faggot.
>I-I can't play unless my deck is printed in gold!
And you accuse me of supporting the Jewish agenda?

>Sold that shit for store cred to build decks, faggot.
ok nvm yer cool.

>Commander sets
Didn't get them. The one I was interested in was a low-tier "tron or bust" shit-show because Wizards couldn't be assed to look at more than Theros set for support options, or make more support that further pushes the theme.
>Kaladesh not being boring shit
>AER not being rinse and repeat of KAL except affinity 2.0
>Amonkhet was butchered Egypt with shit-tons of combat tricks
>Only redeeming factor was the mostly-accurate representation of Egyptian deities and Bolas walking through the Gatewatch before breakfast
AKH and KAL were pretty meh blocks. The one entertaining factor was watching WotC jump through hoops during the former's block and "correcting" the Marvel fiasco late into the year.
>Only 30 viable cards
I run cats with maybe that in tribe-relevant tech. The rest is setup, protection, etc to ensure my deck can go off when I want it to. Sometimes, your options are 1) Make do, or 2) scrap it and build Krenko.

>I dunno man, I don't think dinosaur tribal is there yet

Sadly. I’m hoping for some more cool stuff to take the place of the more Vanilla dinos from Rivals of Ixalan, but we’ll see. This isn’t meant to be a serious deck, mostly just to have Dino tribal so I’ll keep some of those in now. But I’ll look for another way to trigger Enrage, and add in the last Signit.

>falling for the credit meme
You are supporting the Jewish agenda that way.

>five color
>tribal
>interesting

Why would anyone think this?

>WotC don't make any money from credit exchange at your local LGS
>Your local LGS takes a loss exchanging credit for singles
>B-but Jews!
Elaborate on the cognitive dissonance you're experiencing, user.

Because the concept of credit is a Jewish invention. Support their ideas and you're supporting them boyo

What are the sexiest golem/artifact cards

This is some low-energy shitposting

Sexiest artifact is objectively Memory Jar

Sexiest golem-related card is objectively Karn, Silver Golem.

Where can I get some busty Merfolk sleeves ?

>>Cards from Un-sets reworked to be black border
this needs to happen but just the obvious non stupid stuff

i wish the made this an artifact

even /pol/-posters are tired of /pol/-posting

>tfw considering ordering my favorite Commander to play on Cockatrice, even though I never get to play anymore IRL
Should I do it, or would it just be a waste?

guess my commander!

talk about fighting fire with fire

Sharuum?

Silas Renn + Sidar Kondo

both wrong

Someone help me out with understand the legend rule. "A state-based action that causes a player who controls two or more legendary permanents with the same name to put all but one into their owners’ graveyards."
When it says same name, does it mean EXACTLY the same? ie. I know you cant have two Linvala, Keeper of Silence, but can I have a Linvala Keeper of Silence, and a Linvala, the Preserver on the field at the same time? (Since they're both technically Linvala)

exacts matter, except with planeswalkers, then the rule applies to their planeswalker subtype.

>then the rule applies to their planeswalker subtype.
he doesn't know
nobody tell him

>Exacts matter
Okay thanks that helps out. Also the planeswalker thing got removed in Ixalan I think.

Damn it, man! You had one job!

Playing online is an abomination. The gods intended Magic to be played in the real world, where you can look your enemy in the neckbeard and smell their fear and body odor.

Sen triplets?

I know it sucks. I barely do it anymore. But most people I know have quit playing, and there's no EDH community nearby - the people at the LGSes hate EDH.

holy shit i can't believe this. wizards went full retard. that was one of the cool things about planeswalkers, especially when you have multiple garruks/jaces/lilianas with different names, having to manage them and there only ever being able to have one on your side of the board made them feel more unique, and like important characters. fucking timmys.

nope

Just to showcase it, the newest Jace has an ult that makes more Jaces.

>new jace and doubling season is literally an infinite amount of 2/2 illusions
the madmen! they actually did it!

>Make infinite Jaces with Doubling Season
>Enchanted Evening to make all Jaces Enchantments
>Opalescence to make all Jaces 3/3 creatures (copy tokens keep the CMC of the original card)
>Xenograft to make all Jaces Saprolings
>Life and Limb to make all Jaces Lands
>Any mass haste to kill your opponent with a wave of Jaceic Lands

>guy sits down at table and asks to join us
>asks if it's okay if his deck has a few proxies
>sure man, it's chill
>t1 through 5 dropping dual land proxies, and cards of similar value
>playing yidris budgetless storm deck apparently
>has no clue what the cards do, tries to take back half of his plays
>ends up winning with some insane storm count after blowing up all of our lands

I don't think I've had a more obnoxious experience with a random person, I don't even care if they whip out an infinite combo but who proxies that much unnecessary shit for a pickup game