Competitive modern general

BIG MEATY CREATURES EDITION

Playing?
Hating?
Brewing?
Sideboarding?

What's the beefiest creature you play in your deck (if you play any)? What's your favorite deck that utilizes big boys like Prime time, Emmy etc?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-mardu-pyromancer-modern/
youtube.com/watch?v=bzBT71ugC80
mtggoldfish.com/deck/812082#online
mtgvault.com/blackweb/decks/mono-white-martyr-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>big boys
>emmy
I fucked up

Bsn lightning bolt

Ok lads how do you deal with angry butthurt opponents? From passive aggressive little cunts to full apeshit insane ragers, how do you react? I tend to just ignore them and keep playing, which will usually make them more and more angry. Also, stories are very welcome.

I just don't go back to the store they play at.
Unfortunately, this has made it so I don't even play paper anymore because my experience has been ruined numerous times.

I tend to be good at calming people down in the first place, so I don't have to experience as much, but a sharp, stern, yet polite "don't do that" works wonders. Be the guy people want to impress with their behavior.

>Ok lads how do you deal with angry butthurt opponents?
I just can't comprehend how you get mad with this game. Even when I have to mull to 5 and draw garbage I just nod and move on to the next game/match.

It's not like my opponent is going to start popping off either, they've probably had those exact same games. Plus it feels so much better to slam that game winning card down rather than watch your opponent do nothing for 4 turns.

Friendly reminder tg is bad at magic. Here's Mardu in modern.

channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-mardu-pyromancer-modern/

I love Bedlam Reveler, but I think the deck needs a little extra spice to make it work better.

that list is a meme.
and where the hell is the collective brutality in a shitpile running 7 discard spells, 7 bolts/shocks, helix, and 8 flashback spells?
mardoodoo is forever the badscrub .
color combo that kills all your shit and not much else

it's a fresh meme
c. brut does sound really good in it though

Calls list a meme. List has consistent results on mtgo. Making top 8s and 5-0s.

Yes. I agree brutality is a missing piece. Also blood moon main and no plains irks me.

Duck hunt is a meme. This is a viable deck. Which has put up better results than it's jund brother recently.

1 brutality in the main would be nice. I don't have all the sideboard pieces so I ran 2 deflecting Palm and boros charm. Both were surprising efficient in the deck.

>List has consistent results on mtgo
Does it? Sometimes there's 2 weeks between 5-0s, sometimes one day. One user has the majority of 5-0s.

HEY IT'S SETH PRAAABABLY BETTER KNOW AS SAFFRON OLIVE AND TODAY WE'RE RUNNING 4 GEMSTONE CAVERN IN OUR SUNBURST LOCK COMBO

>PRAAABABLY
Lol, accurate.

>playing?
Amulet titan

If there are other annons out there with a chub for this deck, can you post your lists? I have been tinkering with mine so much I just wanna know what others are up to

I play a blue/green evolve suicide deck. Can get 3 3/3 on turn 2. How badly out class am I compare to best modern decks out there?

I'll agree that isn't amazingly consistent. But at the same time I don't think a lot of people are playing this deck. I crunched quite a few games over the weekend and didn't see any match ups I straight lose to.

Im going to be playing in a win a black lotus modern event pretty soon with living end. Wish me luck boyos, ill post a list if anyones curious.

We already know your list to within 2-3 cards. And your sideboard is likely shit like Leyline of the Void and Fulminator Mage.

Nah i got spicy stuff in the board like kolaghans command and kitchen finks, no leylines.

only the beefiest

Love me some grishoal, have u seen the blue versions running serum visions? Ive seen them played and they seem somewhat more consistent than the regular BR version. Thoughts?

How often would you say you lose? Really wanted to build it but from what I understand it isn't the most consistent

Patrician Fetches and Basics, use the same ones in my legacy deck.

t. BReanimator

Started playing this list when it first popped up a few months ago. The biggest changes I made was adding two more swiftspears and 2 brutality, the deck can out rush a lot more decks.

This list is the biggest shit pile tho

I am order 4 swiftspears but I'm going to try 3 first. What's did you remove to make space for cb too?

I don't know man. It feels like there is some potential here. My housemate plays humans and grixis shadow. I've had great games with him. I'm pretty sure I'm positive overall. In my opinion it's solid for small tourneys and fnm.

Hey Veeky Forums help me win an argument that Trophy Mage is playable in Modern

Other option would be Crucible/Shackles/O-Stone/Trinisphere in UTron but I want Mage to be in the main not just a sideboard package

I think if you're gonna shitbrew with trophy mage your best bet would be some kind of tezzerator brew or something like that.

Anyone here know who MTG lion is?

His newest video is amazing.
youtube.com/watch?v=bzBT71ugC80

What does that lispy faggot have to do with competitive modern.

Why not play something that could actually win the whole tournament instead of win half of your rounds at best?

i saw a list with search for azcanta and visions along with chart a course. i have goldfished a list with visions and chart and it didn't feel significantly more consistent desu. i think i'll stick with br for the time being.

it really feels like 40% of my losses are to the deck or myself. consistency is indeed the biggest weakness of the deck.
i win maybe two thirds of my paper matches and maybe half my matches on cockatrice, where i am much lazier with mulligans.
i definitely recommend you proxy it up though. getting to slam the biggest dudes the fastest is a good time and also the deck has a lot more play to it than a lot of people think

og fetches and shocks are the best. i think the deck has a nice aesthetic overall, mostly due to the sweet kamigawa art
in legacy, have you ever been tempted to try tin fins?

>in legacy, have you ever been tempted to try tin fins?
I've thought about it, but tin fins is a little too balls to the wall for me desu. I would be playing UB right now but DRS kinda forces me to play BR if I want to play reanimator at all.

I need an 8 poly list.

You guys think there's enough incentive to play a bant control deck?

I know there's a meme one floating around with Glittering Wish, but could splashing green be worth it for inevitability and some better/different sb options?

>I know there's a meme one floating around with Glittering Wish, but could splashing green be worth it for inevitability and some better/different sb options?
What's the list? I was playing one a couple months ago, mine seemed pretty good just way too slow a lot of the time.

If you want to play a meme deck with glittering wish just play ad nauseam.

here
mtggoldfish.com/deck/812082#online

mtgvault.com/blackweb/decks/mono-white-martyr-2/
what do you guys think of my list? what could be improved?

2 Runed Halo in the SB
Day of Judgement -> Wrath of God
Maybe a Mindcensor in the SB as well?
Go up a Gideon and move Baneslayer to the SB
I'm a fan of Field of Ruin over Tec Edge
Devout Lightcaster is another good option for the SB

alright boys check it out

right not im planning on playing UW control
my meta is 2 storm, affinity, 2 eldrazi tron, WR burn, 4 deaths shadow 2 esper 1 jund and 1 grixis, junk rino, abzan coco, grixis control, mono-white hatebears, and a jeskai midrange

what should my sideboard be looking like? im mostly afraid of the affinity, burn and hatebears players

Day of Judgement is strictly worse Wrath of God, but that's minimal. I'd be running 4x Field of Ruin too.

a kid at my shop is playing br with a children of korlis and a tendrils for an i win button. i've been kind of interested in making a hybrid too

i've played against a neat bant deck using ojutai's command and sylvan advocate + snapcaster to get some crazy value. you don't necessarily have to go that route though. i think there are enough good cards in bant to just win games goodstuff-style

i don't have advice for you but i'm curious about whether you are running spreading seas

I’m slowly building up mono blue merfolk and I’ve got a decent amount of cards for BW Eldrazi. Not sure which one I should stick with, Eldrazi list is really fun to play with but I feel like a total dickhead because I basically just destroy hands and use displacer with wasteland strangler to keep the board clean

Merfolk feel fair to play against and i love the game plan and ability to tweak.

Fish are bad. I've played the deck and played against it I still don't know what the meta game would have to look like for fish to be a good choice. But you do you man.

Fuck bant, I want an ESPER control deck

When is the next banlist update?

Is there anything on the radar?
In my local meta most people are suddenly selling their palysets of chalice of the void.

I don't think chalice is gonna get it. I'd guess something from UR storm is gonna is banned if anything, but honestly I don't think anything will get banned.

hey guys could use some help

Im trying to remember the name of a card, its a black one drop (I believe) that lets you duress but with any kind of card after playing 2 life.. do you know what its called?

No clue, any card that good would be banned.

They are probably selling chalice cause it got up to 80 bucks and they don't need them. Nothing's happening with bans till February

No clue, any card that good would certainly be banned.

>green/blue
>suicide
Tell me more

Right lads my local meta has a Tron player in it. What brand of bleach should I drink?

The Spanish Inquisition

How bad is Ad Nauseam currently? I kinda want to build it, but the pieces go in zero other decks, so I'm hesitant.

Why would it be bad?
None of the cards have been banned and the combo is as fast as ever.

It's not quite as fast and consistent as storm, GDS seems like a rough match up.

Basically though, I'm just not sure I want to shell out for pacts, blooms, and leylines for worse-storm.

>worse storm
That it is friend

I mean yeah, that's just what Ad Nauseum is; a worse storm.

Currently playing boros burn.

Anyone have any advice for this deck? I must be shit at magic because it feels impossible to pilot it wrong but I've never gone more than 2-2 at my LGS. I tend to win when I just dump creatures but I actually don't know what to do when I just have a hand full of burn.

Stoneforge is getting unbanned, I guarantee it.

Also UR storm is still a deck so I'm sure they'll ban something from that

What kind of deck would stone forge even go in. Jeskai? Esper? Mardu?

I've always thought burn kinda sucked. It's supposed to be super fast but it only kills at turn 4. Green stompy and goblins can do that too and storm can win turn 3.

The best part about these questions is NOBODY mentions D&T. It's like secretly deep down people know that without Mother of Runes, Stoneforge Mystic only works in control shells in legacy.

A hand full of spells is generally bad. Bolt is 3 damage, but Guide is 2 damage every turn.

surgical extraction?

You play Legacy where people are mature and emotionally stable.

>yup, you got unlucky. it'll work better next time

I basically say some variant of this. I don't always mean it, but it generally deflects their anger away from me and towards their deck.

although I do like ribbing people when they complain about topdecks
>man I can't believe you drew that card!
>yeah, I'm sure glad I remembered to put it in my deck.

Stoneforge would work just fine without Mom, it's just extra good with her.

>Oh no! They have removal!

congratulations, you got a 2-for-1 for 2 mana (potentially less if you vial it in)

Your free card unlocks at 5 mana.

3-5. And it's still free.

So, what about that Narset Reanimator deck that can win on Turn One? Is that going to put anything on the ban watch list?

>So, what about that Narset Reanimator deck that can win on Turn One? Is that going to put anything on the ban watch list?
That's not a real deck, so no it won't be putting anything on the banlist.

First time I'm playing at this store since I've just started playing paper. It's the first tourny from a 5 week circuit to get into the top 8 of this LGS that then if you get top 2 you go to the Circuit day.

>I'm playing 8rack agains this really tall and fat neckbeard playing jeskai control
>he's running ancestral visions main deck so I'm pretty fucked already
>I smallpox him
>set aside my discard card face down waiting for him
>he discards one and I flip the card
>he quickly picks the card up to his hand
>Hey, ehhh, you can't do that...
>he glances at me with visible rage and puts the card back in his graveyard
>"Oohhhh, so you wanna play like a pro, huh? Let's play like pros then."
>dude, no, it's how the card works
>he ignores me and keeps spouting "no, let's play like pros"
>people beside us glance at him with no reaction probably because he has done this before
>stop his bullshit staring at his eyes and ask him if I offended him somehow or if there is an issue with anything
>he goes like "ohhh, no nooo"

This obnoxious douche ended up winning 2-0 but I finished 3-1 and did pretty well in the circuit. Thank god I almost never see him, but I act like a decent person and I don't throw any shade at him.

Don't be like that people.

Hey guys I'm playing eldrazi and taxes and I'm playing at a new place and my deck and sideboard were not tuned to their meta. What are some good eldrazi and taxes cards to put in for valekut decks and counters company decks?

Those were the decks that have me trouble

Doesn't seem like it'd be so special in modern. Affinity is always popular so people could side board for her just because they have affinity hate

So what, mull away a perfectly good 2-3 land hand just because I don't have a guide or swiftspear?

I thought the whole point of burn was consistency

Yeah but the point of burn it that you can be interactive if you need to. You can bolt electromancers and barals to buy yourself another turn against storm

Either a Sword or a Batterskull, I mean it's not like it draws you a Path or a land, but a 1/2 that draws a Sword or a Batterskull is often par with Wall of Omens as is. "Just bolt it" isn't the reason it's powerful.

At the end of the day it would only disincentivize people wanting to remove things, as they're getting a pretty shitty deal by killing her

Runed Halo is a nice bullet for Valameme that white decks can pack.

Was at Hour of Devastation prerelase threw together a super annoying grixis cycle control deck. Only creatures were defenders and champion of wits (killing people with wall of forgotten pharaohs over 10 turns is fun).
Round one played against some turbo autist who got progressively more and more mad as I censored/countervieling winds evry thing he played. Punched the table when I played the sarcophagus that let me cast them all again. I tried curbing his anger and what not but ended up 2-0ing him and he stormed away.

Standing outside the lgs talking with somone he comes up to me and says 'I just want you to know I'm not mad or anything you were just annoying" I thought he was going to stab me

Runed Halo is only worth it in control decks desu. If your game plan is creatures they can just blow up your board and kill you with titans.

Another one I was playing modern DnT against smallpox in the first round of an event. He sperged when I played flagstones and didn't know what to do. Continued being very salty throughout the match even though he won in 3 and said to me after 'you know flagstones is not a good card in your deck, how many do you run?'

When I'm playing Lantern I usually just try and explain their chances of winning the game once I have sufficient info + a lock rather than playing it out every time and listening to them either sperg out or be very passive aggressive. I can usually get a judge on the worst of them though because they somehow think it's acceptable to "hmmmmmm what should I do" when they have a hand full of lands or literally useless cards that won't affect the board state. Alternatively i just don't play Lantern even though I really enjoy it because it pisses of the autists too much.

to be fair he sounds like he has some obvious issues, so it might have taken a lot for him to come up to you and say that.

How can I improve this list?
>don't play it.

I like victim of the night/walk the plank more over go for the throat

That card would most definitely be banned.

>not playing best counterspell

Pic definitely related

Agreed, it doesn't have cross matchup potential like it does in Wx control, it uses resources on not-a-clock, the casting mana is also a bit spook in B/W taxes and drazi... but hot damn does it shut off valakut (althought ramping to timmy titans is also a decent plan B)

How many Avens u got senpai?
does a damn fine job and might be decent vs Valameme, would maindeck 1-2
Revoker might be decent against druid combo too, 2 in the sb might be sick.

As a valakut player, you want to bring in Forge-Tender/Selfless Spirit and Mindcensor. However to win you usually have to draw Arbiter/Quarter in addition to those cards.

Counters Company...I would say Linvala but it's probably too slow. Grafdigger's Cage is probably your best bet, since their deck is a lot worse when Chord and Company do nothing.

that list looks like fun, have you played it at all?

man you have my respect for playing lantern and having the patient of dealing with people's salt at the deck

must be pretty funny though playing against people who are unfamiliar with it and seeing their soul slowing sinking into into the abyss as the game progresses

I am thinking of building deaths shadow. I love the beat down and the interaction the deck has. How bad of a mistake am I making?

It's the best investment I've made in a deck.