Flames of War General: Armies of Late War Edition

Armies of Late War has been scanned and is in the database.

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
arrse.co.uk/wiki/East_Germany
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1030
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who has 'winning list' recommendations from LW Armies?

I think Germans: PanzerGrenadiers and Panzer IV formations are the best. most varied options in the core formation to take on the most varied encounters and not have to dip into support.

support needs to be sacrificial shit in V4

So, what are people’s thoughts on Armies of Late War?

My own personal opinion is that any existing LW players can skip it. The lists are super generic and not worth your time if you’ve already been playing Late War for quite some time.

You’ll likely have an army already built from one of the much better more specific books that are out there.

That being said, I could potentially see recommending it to players who are completely and totally new, know little about any of the major historical campaigns, and are just looking to get started playing with a basic list for any of the major powers in Europe.

It’s a one-stop-shop for the basics for each of the four major nations.

For those who are looking for more specific and flavorful stuff however,
I’d still recommend the relevant campaign-specific book.

>support needs to be sacrificial shit in V4

Maybe not sacrificial, but non-essential.

The big thing about V4 is that support is meant to be exactly that. Support.

The core units of your formation(s) are what are meant to be the backbone of your force.

You lose your core units, your formation and any support units might flee.

Is there a link from whom I ca download the team cards and then print them? I don't want to cash them in yet, since I only got the starter and a box full of Brits in the desert.

get cheersed

Phil Cheersed all of LW. Basic options are no longer available.
1. You cannot equip a full panzergrenadier platoon with fausts.
2. No kangaroo carriers
3. Cannot add applique armor to churchills...
4. No option to ad .50cal AA mgs kn transports or tanks

And best of all, points are not updated for the new edition.

Fuck you Phil you smug cunt.

Yeah, I’d probably only recommend it for new players, but even then I would give them some words of advice to stay away from the heavy tank formations. I don’t know why the CV Panther and CV Tiger formations are a thing. It’s just a trap for new players.

Everyone likes Seven Samurais!

New Players?

LW is not getting new players. The era is getting lacklustre support from BF and most LW communities have already imploded. I know mine did.

Fuck you Phil for ruining the hobby.

You can download the book and shrink the pages down to the size you want when you print.

>Basic options are no longer available.
Like one or two of these were "basic". Command faust and kangaroos have never been defaults.

Armies of Late War. British MHGs lose the ability to fire indirectly without receiving a points rebate.

Cheers

The British also can no longer field 17 pdrs. Are you kidding me?

Nope. That's just the Motor HMG Platoon (which never could).

The book's shitty enough without making stuff up

They need to sell M10 boxes! Think of the VALUE

>all of LW.

Armies of Late War is not meant to be “all of LW.” It’s meant to be an introductory starting point for people who have never played FoW before.

Looking at starting TY Soviets. Is this list good to start with? I would magnetize the BMPs to have the option of 1s or 2s.

Red Banner BMP-1 Motor Rifle Battalion Points

BMP-1 Motor Rifle Battalion HQ 1
1 AK-74 team
1 BMP-1

BMP-1 Motor Rifle Company 14
7x AK-74 teams
6x RPG-7 teams
2x PKM teams
9x BMP-1
Add SA-14 Gremlin AA missile team & BMP-1 1

BMP-1 Motor Rifle Company 14
7x AK-74 teams
6x RPG-7 teams
2x PKM teams
9x BMP-1
Add SA-14 Gremlin AA missile team & BMP-1 1

BMP-1 Recon Platoon 3
3x BMP-1

T-64 Tank Company 13
3x T64

Support

BM-21 Hail Rocket Launcher Battery 8
6x BM- 21

BMP-1 Observation Post 1
1 BMP-1 OP

SA-8 Gecko SAM Platoon 4
2x SA-8 Gecko

If you are interested: Zvezda is planning to to do SU-76, Pz 4 H, T-44 in 2018

That's awesome! Ty for the news

>SU-76,
lel get fucked Battlefront. They're going to have to release a plastic kit now just to compete.
>Pz 4 H,
Meh, well-served niche, kinda wish someone would make a plastic J at this point.
>T-44
Interesting, I wonder if it'll have the skirts?

1. Helo's make great Flak training aids! Nothing helps a Flak unit become better then to use Helo's as live targets!

2. Helo's make great assists in making Jet Pilots become Aces!

3. Helo's make great wrecks and cover for infantry!

4. Helo's make even better aids to promotion for air assault officers due to how easy troop carriers are shot down! Nothing says How much easier it is to get promotion then when a LT sees his captains Helo get shot down! Or a Captain sees the Majors helo get unlucky, and then they know that they can very easily step into a dead man shoes! They just know that those captains bars or majors leafs are on their way!

5. Helo's really help jobs back home, due to all the helo's that are shot down that need to be replaced and all the tanks and infantry vehicles getting shoot up, because they all need to be repaired or replaced, therefor making those jobs back home even more important!

6. Helo's save the infantry's boots so much wear and tear, other then the last five minutes of flight! Cause most infantrymen would really rather walk at that point! LOL!

Some people will get the humor in this, and some people will not! As is Helo's can help or hurt your force. Its all in how they are used! And what they are facing! Enjoy!

O H M Y !

Or save the SU-76 for "the second book"

Good catch. I was wrong, thanks for fact-checking.

here is a pic, no skirts

Zvezda SU-76 might be the thing I look most forward to in this hobby right now.

It's literally Baby's First Flames of War book.

And you got mad about it, like a big baby.

Good lord, I know I look forward to it

What books do I need to play the game? I have the 3rd Edition starter set and some brits, I downloaded 4th edition core rules. What the hell do I need to play the African front? The books for it don't have StuG's and Sherman's I have, also no infantry I have. I'm confused..

The 3rd Edition starter was a Late War starter set, based on Operation Market-Garden.

As such, the forces wouldn’t work as a force for the Mid-War African front.

For the African front, you’d need the appropriate Mid-War forces and army books.

To use the Version 3 starter box with the Version 4 rules, you need the rule book, the conversion guide, and the Army books for Operation Market-Garden, “Bridge by Bridge” for the Germans, and “Market Garden” for the Allies.

Armored car company:
221 with 2.8cm gun 1pt
8 troops of light armored cars, each with 2 222s and 1 221 armed with 2.8cm AT 16pts
3 troops of heavy armored cars with 2 231s each 6pts
Rifle platoon with 3 MG teams + HMG 7pts

Panzer III company
2 panzer IIIs 10 pts
3 Panzer IIIs 15 pts
3 Panzer IIIs 15 pts

Support:
4 Marders 16pts
4 Lorraine Schlepper 12pts
1 Pz II OP 2 pts

Welp, AoLW was pretty underwhelming but i got a brit list going anyway what do you think?

Motor Company HQ 30pts
2x Rifle

Motor Platoon 140pts
4x MG
PIAT
2" Mortar
4x Transport

Motor Platoon 140pts
4x MG
PIAT
2" Mortar
4x Transport

3x Universal Carrier 105pts
PIAT
2x Extra MG

3x Universal Carrier 105pts
PIAT
2x Extra MG

4x 6pdr 130pts

4x 6pdr 130pts

2x 3" Mortar 60pts

4x M10 17pdr 370pts

4x M10 17pdr 370pts

Typhoon Flight 170pts

1750pts

Looks good, Personally the book isnt that underwhelming as it covers a little bit of everything. much like i expected.

Seems decent to me.

I'd personally put in more mortars and motor platoons rather than the double UC platoons (boys before toys), but looks like you've got the anti-tank component down good.

General Soviet Related Question:

With the exception of T-80 models, and better ratings, and better Helicopters, what did people want to see out of Red Thunder, but didn't get, or what would people want to see in a future Soviet Release?

Spetsnaz

The Red Army's mortars, quite literally any of them. MT-LBs, the air assault company's ground vehicles, like comon.

Hell, the TOS-1, gaz jeep kit (with DshK and ATGM mounts), tripod-mounted HMGs. Spetsnas might have been nice. T-80, ERA add-on kits, MI-8, MI-24A.

ERA, Airborne, and Naval Infantry. It’s just a shame that any other force will just be a different color of spam monkeys.

A thread BMP

I know I’m in the minority here, but I am actually quite happy with Red Thunder.

Sure, some of the releases that are in resin really should have been in plastic, but the book itself I have no problems with.

As for future Soviet releases, I’ll echo what others have already said. ERA needs to be added to the game. And the T-80 would be nice, even if tanks seem to be a bit too expensive already compared to ATGMs.

Let's admit it - T-80 is not needed, why invest more point to bad MBT with slightly better gun or armor when soviets have nicely working bmp-2/MSU T-55 spam.
It will be unplayable

And yet people are still asking for it.

There are people who want non-spam WarPac. Who want to play an army that can play tactically instead of just relying on overwhelming force alone to achieve their objectives.

Soviets have always been a spam faction, and having better units would help to cut down on that.

Actually different formations.
I can live with the lack of proper soviet kit or soldiers (not everyone is on the major axis that gets all the good stuff), but I cannot live with the same formations being copy-pasted with new names and calling it a day. We had before RT and have after it: Tank Formation, BMP formation, Air Company. The only 'new' formation is the BTR battalion, but it is only one support option off from the BMP one. (nevermind, just checked and it is the exact same formation with BMPs replaced with BTRs)

A new formation is what I really want, a fourth option to pick that has a different playstyle to the tank spam, inf spam, and chopper spam that are the only options at the moment.

Also the 120mm Battalion mortars would be good to have for obvious reasons.

>Why get good equipment when you can have spam hordes that are not fun to play with/against?
>Having better tanks that can quickly breakthrough the enemy will be simply unplayable for WP.
[sarcasm]Well I can totally agree that T-80s will be useless wastes of space[/sarcasm], I guess we only want them because they existed in massive numbers on the frontline and would definitely have fought?
Unless as part of their AltHist for TY the T-80 never existed (in numbers), which I guess would fit with the rest of the soviet inability to fight they have in their AltHist like no training or armour on their tanks

>bmp-2/MSU T-55 spam

Stuff like this is why I’m slightly annoyed with the new Allied Formations rules for Team Yankee.

Either one of those formations are bad enough on their own.

The idea that they can now be fielded together in a legal force is terrifying.

Sure, technically all of NATO can now add Milans to their force, but Soviet BMP-2 Spam combined with E. German T-55 MSU is what scares the shit out of me...

But east Germans already can combine bmp2 and t-55, and they actually do it

East Germans have a BMP1 tax on their BMP2s and can't take recon extras.

>Sure, technically all of NATO can now add Milans to their force, but Soviet BMP-2 Spam combined with E. German T-55 MSU is what scares the shit out of me...
Why? You can only get one sister formation, that's ten T-55s.

what?
i thought it was an entire one which is
CC
plus 3x10 units
still 10 cheap tanks is nothing to fuck with

The way I see it being done is the primary army is T-55 MSU, so 3 formations for 30 tanks.

Then add in a Formation of max sized Soviet BMP-2s.

Yes, but they can only natively take a limited amount of BMP-2s.

Taking Soviet BMP-2s frees them of that limitation.

Then you're not abusing MSUs. Granted, the full formation is 31 tanks for 49 points, so it's not bad, but the MSU equivalent is 30 tanks for 21 points.

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

What country is that?

Fascist East Germany.

What does everyone think of the Scenarios for Flames of War?

Personally, I think this is one of the biggest weaknesses of the game - the scenarios are somewhat stale and predictable, and they often leave 3/4 of the board unused.

Are there any good third party scenario supplements?

Wait... What?

What do you mean *Fascist* East Germany?

Is that out of a game or an anime or something?

Battlefront updated the missions recently to give them new victory conditions and to remove the less shit missions, they're pretty okay. Most of the Third Party Missions, of which of a few are in the Scan Database, are pretty good.

I don't know, I don't even know what Paradox uses for their version in HoI4. I just picked it up off the internet.

Ugh, fuck you too Brain, I meant to say, Most Third Party Missions tend to run the gamut between "Okay" and "Why the fuck did you make this?"

Communist Kaiserreich maybe.

>Fascist East Germany.

The fact is Commie Poland complained a shit ton about them:
"That the report was written by the Poles is obvious from the first paragraph of the excerpt, which states that “the attitudes of the NVA GDR [East German National People's Army] were dominated by guilty feelings caused by the previous historical period.”

Unfortunately for the Poles, that guilt didn't last very long. The report goes on to note that during meetings between East German and Polish officers, the Germans boasted of their superior economic policies and higher standard of living, which they attributed to the “industriousness of the German nation.”

German officers “displayed excessive levels of self-confidence, particularly by overestimating their own and underestimating our organizational skills,” the Polish army noted.

For anyone who knows anything about how the German military in 1939–45 viewed Slavs and Eastern Europeans as lazy and dim-witted untermenschen, this definitely sounds familiar.

It gets better. The Poles complained that the East Germans enjoyed “throwing sweets to children and photographing these youngsters while they pick up the sweets, which caused unpleasant feedback and reminiscences among civilians.”

After 1945, the Soviets redrew Poland's borders, with the Soviet Union annexing a swath of eastern Poland, and then compensating Poland with a swath of eastern Germany. This switch apparently didn't sit well with East German soldiers. “During official meetings, NVA GDR officers making presentations have never used phrases that address Poland's historic title to its western and northern lands. There is no doubt that this is a result of many years of subjecting NVA GDR soldiers during political training to the theory that 'Hitler lost these territories.'”

A Polish Army report on East German troops conducting maneuvers on Polish territory during the Warsaw Pact "Oder Neisse '69" exercise in October 1969, stated that a “Col. Leisner, deputy commander of the 9th Armored Division of the NVA GDR, after binge drinking in the town of Charzykow, and missing his shoes and uniform, attempted to break into the room of Soviet typists, which required intervention.”

Also from ARRSE:
arrse.co.uk/wiki/East_Germany
"Disposed of a useful little 6-division army with good reserves and would probably have been the only WP armed forces to do what it said on the tin. Officially know as the NVA, Famously, and possibly allegedly, were so keen for a repeat performance that, in December 1981, had the 9th Panzer Division lined up, cammed up, benzed up and bombed up, ready for the off, on the Polish border before being stood down when the Poles themselves declared martial law in order to keep the Sovs from invading them."
Mind you that's the division featured in Volksarmee.

You could, you know, try a different game?

jeez that's quite some commie block history

Interesting stuff user

Mods are asleep.
Post wunderwaffen!

>be corrugated armor
>sloped surfaces all around
>good luck tank shell, i'm behind 7 armor millimeters.

Anons, we should write an Iran-Iraq War fan book for TY. Who wants to see fearless conscript Chieftain+Patton versus confident trained T-55 hordes?

We had a guy working on it on the discord, but it’s been a while since we’ve had and update. It has some potential.

Someone please shop a cartoon kiwi soldier shouting "good luck, I'm behind 7 sheets of corrugated plating".

Also history's only heli vs heli airbattles.
>cobra vs hind

So after looking at the new Mid-War starters I'm wondering what my Italians will get. I suspect it'll be the following:
5 M14/41 tanks
3 Semoventes (probably the 42, but maybe they'll be nice and give us 75's)
2 90/53 guns

And I'd be okay with that. Or am I wrong? Is it more likely to get 5 Semoventes and 3 14/41's?

Also, since BF are pushing for 'nam and foan again am I the only one who would like to see a refresh of Great War that, perhaps, allows games to take place before 1918? I know BF want to push their tanks as much as possible and that's not something them can do in 1915, but man they'd open the door for new armies. Auatrians, Italians, Russians...okay maybe this is a terrible idea.

Assuming pastas will get a 90/52 plastic gun (highly unlikely).
It will be funny if it's just two boxes of M14/41s, distributed as 7 M14/41s (1+3+3) and one unit of Semoventes (3).

Actually let me correct myself:
Oops should have said M13/40s instead of 14/41s.

Why not? Germans got the 88, and the 90/53 is basically the same gun in the game.

The ither option is give them an arty battery I suppose.

No, MW is 14/41's. They uaed the 13/40 in EW.

Man I'm also looking forwards to the Italians too. I like how their redone Stat block favours being a cover camping little faggot.

>Why not? Germans got the 88, and the 90/53 is basically the same gun in the game.
Probably because Battlefront feels Italians won't sell as well as say Americans which is where they've concentrated most of their plastic models. Its only worth it to them to do plastic when they think they'll sell a lot of models. 90/53, as much as I want it, probably won't sell as well as the 88.

The only Italian stuff they've confirmed for plastic is the Semovente and 14/41. Otherwise, they said something about a "remastered resin line". So I kind of expect infantry, guns, etc. to be resin still.

But, I'm looking forward to plastic 14/41s and Semoventes at least.

Are you implying Italians are faggots?

True, but a man can dream. I just want the Italian starter to be worth a fucking purchase.

I'm implying that they camp cover like faggots. Actually more than that, seems like they'll be good for countering Crusader Spam since they start as To-Hit 4, and they have HEAT.

>Are you implying Italians are faggots?

Their symbol is literally a bundle of sticks (the original meaning of the word faggot) wrapped around an axe.

Were the things ditched by 4th editon used and needed? My ftiends and I are still operating on 3rd edition starter set. How big of an upgrade are the new rules? So far I noticed no recovery teams and free focused shooting.

>Probably because Battlefront feels Italians won't sell as well as say Americans which is where they've concentrated most of their plastic models.
There was only actually two new plastic sprues for the US, the M10s and infantry already existed.

>How big of an upgrade are the new rules?
Son, if you wanted to ignite an edition war, you said just the right thing. Brace for [OPINIONS].

>free focused shooting.
Target has a 3+ to allocate the shot as they please, statistically identical to Gun Tank.

Seconding this.

The only new plastics for the Mid-War Americans were the Shermans and the Priests.

Everything else was stuff that already existed in plastic, like the M10s and Halftracks which had already been made for Late War, or the Stuarts and Lees which were already released as Mid-War Kits for the British.

I think getting rid of multiple observer teams, staff teams and command teams was a pretty good thing over all, because at times you'd have the shattered remains of an artillery battery still fighting on even after every gun has been destroyed, still bloody holding the objective. Not a fan.

Wether or not it is an “upgrade” is still highly debated.

I like it since it seems like the gameplay has been made a lot less confusing.

But a very active and very vocal portion of the fan base highly dislikes the new edition.

There seems to be no true consensus on the subject.

Did not meant to start a shitstorm, I myself like more rules and might consider making house rules, becsuse the club I sparked FoW in never had historicals, same with all the clubs here.

>I like it since it seems like the gameplay has been made a lot less confusing.
The setup to said gameplay, less so.

>V3:
Rulebook, Army book, Errata. 3 books and documents.

>V4:
One of two versions of the core Rulebook, Army book, Special Rules and Warriors book, V4 errata (with points and statline changes), V3 errata (still needed for older points errata and statline errata that then gets changed further with V4 errata), More Missions document for updated mission rules. 6 books and documents.

V4 MW is the only place I'd say it's actually been made less confusing, and given how they decided "fuck historical accuracy, lets do this our way" with it I'm less than inclined to buy in.

So one of the reasons people played the game they fucked up to be less confusing. I'm obviously not a native speaker and I can attest that the new edition is as confusing as the old one. Atleast the old one had better pictures.

Bmp-less bmp

I bought the stalins bears box cause my LGS was doing 50% off all FoW stuff. Are there any instructions on how to build these? I'm just going off of pictures at the moment. Also I wanna add an il-2 but cant find anyone who makes one in the right scale?

That's a nice deal, There are IL-2's from battlefront even, the main thing you have to keep in mind is that planes are actually a different size they are 1/144

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1030

So look for that scale, you can see it on the package below if you do not believe me, other than that keep in mind that it will have to be on a flight stand, at least i think people would prefer that. Tanks are 1/100 aka 15mm so are infantry but planes 1/144, Hope this helps user! good luck with your soviets!

No wonder I was having such a hard time finding them. Thanks user!

No need to thank me, I want to let you know as well that there is a chance that battlefront might release a newer model of it. I am not sure however. And you would probably have to wait at the very least 6 months IF they are planning a release. Good luck and have fun!

I’d check out a company called Academy. They make 1:144 plane models In hard plastic that are pretty cheap with good detail. I am almost 100% sure they do an IL-2

Poles complain about everything, so that's not a good example. They complained in the 30ies, they complained under the Soviets, they keep crying under the EU.

I understand it's because massive historical traumas, but it's kinda jarring.

That said, no chance of seeing other WP nations in TY? Czechs and their crazy toys?

You can expect Czechs after ERA.

QUICK! SOMEONE BREAK OUT THAT OLD JOKE OF JAPAN COMING OUT AFTER RUSSIANS GET VETERANS!