/BGG/ Board Game General

Previous: Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

What's the one game you wish would come back into stock/print?

What game needs a new coat of paint and a re-release?

Other urls found in this thread:

gmtgames.com/p-613-spacecorp.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What's the one game you wish would come back into stock/print?
That I can think of right now, Dune. Successors is also probably a good candidate, but probably far less people interested in it than Dune.

>What game needs a new coat of paint and a re-release?
Not really a proper answer to your question, but I always wondered how it'd be if like FFG and GMT "collaborated" on a game sometime. GMT mainly responsible for rules and mechanics and whatnot, FFG mainly responsible for components or whatever.

>>What's the one game you wish would come back into stock/print?
Pic related but as a DM-less board game.

I had hoped for Myth to be this. Boy was I fucking disappointed.

My group is about to start a descent campaign and we're all excited, although I've read about heirs of Blood which should offer an upgraded version of the core set's quests, should we aim at using that? Also the main story should last about 20 hours, in case we are satisfied by this game are the various expansions of roughly the same length?

>reprints
I'm pretty good with TI4 out

>back in stock
Not really anything I'm looking for atm. Had my eye on Space Empires 4X for a time, but my desire for space-themed games has been sated

>my desire for space-themed games has been sated
But this is being released next year!? gmtgames.com/p-613-spacecorp.aspx

I've heard enough people saying that the expansion fixes all my concerns with Xia: Legends of a Drift System that I'd probably pick that up were it in stock at reasonable prices.
Tannhauser. Please.

I'd like a reprint for Exodus: Edge of Extinction. It's an expansion but most parts of it add something I want in the base game. Exodus is already fun from what I've played but it seems like that can push it further.

Unrelated: why is Tigris and Euphrates so good? Literally every descriptor I heard did not do it justice. I didn't expect a tile laying mostly-euro game to have so much conflict. I didn't expect an abstract to be (relatively) complex, or a game this (relatively) complex to be so abstract. Just a beautiful experience, at least at two players.

Pretty new to board games in generally kind of overwhelmed with the amount out their and looking for a little guidance. Going to a cabin trip with 3 buddies so looking for a 4 player board game but will look at other recommendations since I want to start collecting beyond the trip.

go with one of the gateway games unless you have done a bit of gaming before - ticket to Ride, Lords of waterdeep, maybe Arcadia Quest if you want a minis game that is easy to figure out. Star Wars risk is cool and easy to figure out.

There a bunch of them I would like to see back at the store...Dune is surely one, though.

Camel Up has been recieved really well with my friends and family

Ever tried this fun little game? It's a quick play and great fun. Simple enough to enjoy with kids too!

I like the looks of lords of waterdeep ill definitely order that today thanks!

Godfather is great fun and pretty similar to lords of waterdeep. Might be worth a look if you would prefer a more mainstream asthetic than waterdeep's D&D theme.

On the other hand, your go to for advice was Veeky Forums, so I guess your friends are probably a little nerdy anyway.

>that subtle almost watermarked image
Very nice OP, perfect thread to come back from vacation to see

Is it a bad idea to sleeve my Dominion cards? Im worried about keeping them all identical looking but im looking at that Paladin kickstarter to protect a few of my games (Kingdom Death and XCOM)

As long as you can keep them efficiently stored, it's a great idea if you plan on playing Dominion a lot.

I wish Glory to Rome would somehow get unfucked and be possible to reprint.

Isn't it 100% cards? Just download the TTS mod an have a print shop make it for you.

Someone in a math trade I was recently in had 5 copies (4 sealed in shrink) for trade. He wound up trading only the open one, what a fucking tease

This isn't free advertising space
Buy a banner ad next time, Mr. Lamont

Dominion is a good game to sleeve. If you think you'll get a lot of play and want to preserve the cards, sleeves help a ton with any game where you shuffle a lot. I don't own Dominion myself, but I sleeved all of Baseball Highlights 2045 for a game from the same genre, and I don't regret it at all.

I sleeved all of Millennium Blades.
Never again.

Holy shit dude
does it even fit in the stock insert?

Fuck no, I bought a card box for 'em.

My god your store deck must be a mountain. I already put half the cards asside so as not to have a tower to knock over.

Gave it a slight thought to sleeve the game, but decided against it. You only shuffle once at the beginning and then it's all just in your hands or in the store.

I once considered unsleeving it to use the sleeves for other games but I don't think they fit any of them.

Anyone here experienced with Tigris and Euphrates? How easy is it to teach? My group is semi experienced gamers and I've finally weaned them off of lighter games and the game looks really interesting.

It’s pretty good, can be downright mean though depending on how people play.

The rules are pretty simple, but maybe print out a cheat sheet for everyone so they know the difference between an internal and external conflict and which tiles you use for each.

Who here /didntfinishpandemiclegacy/ and why?
Just out of interest

it got too boring around october and the 9 other games were carried by jokes about our fight against the incurable Islam

Only Legacy game I ever enjoyed was Risk Legacy.
Legacy mechanics turn trash games into fun and good games into boredom.

Ah yes, another fantastic fantastically DRAMATIC game by board game design wizard Eric M. Lang (patent pending) and produced by CMoN. You and your friends compete for LUCRATIVE turf in this highly thematic game of DECEPTION. Will you, aided by BEAUTIFULLY ILLUSTRATED cards and EXPERTLY CRAFTED miniatures, outmaneuver the other Dons and claim your rightful place as The Godfather? How much dough can you stash away in your INTENSELY TACTILE briefcase before it's time to pay the piper?

Great taste you have for a mentally challenged ape

Sorry for liking a thing. I promise it wont happen again.

Sorry for hurting your ass by commenting on your comment on a public forum. Eat shit.

Did you even see OP? The only good games are Kemet and Summoner Wars.

Don't worry user, you have great tastes in games and any number of Eric Lang games are most definitely modern masterpieces. Are you looking forward to the release of Rising Sun? I hope you backed it for your kickstarter exclusive 6th player complete with their own ability and beautifully sculpted models!

Random shout out to flying frog for making conquest of planet earth. Still waiting for the long rumoured second expansion pack.n

Not a fan of shadows of brimstone. Well made but not my thing.

Chaos in the Old World. I have a copy of it, but I love the hell out of the game and think it's a crime that nobody can get it for a reasonable price now.

Eric Lang is a bad designer but this mock shilling is even worse (You) fucking faggot shitters.

Roll ft Galaxy needs a redo with lessons learned from race, and other deck builder ideas so it's a gamers deck builder and I can finally stop saying roll is better.

Dominant species

I'm on your side disliking CMONs pricing and "components first" policy as well as the hype around lang, but come on. His games arent bad.

>ticket to Ride
Why would you recommend this broken pos and not even euro which is also a broken piece of shit but slightly less painful to have to play.

I genuinely don't think Eric is a bad designer.

Am I the only person who feels it's reasonable to spend 50 bucks on a 25 dollar game if the miniatures are themselves worth more than 25 dollars?

>if the miniatures are themselves worth more than 25 dollars
They never are.

How sad must your life be that you have these things saved and repost them every thread. Have you even met this guy? Did he steal your gf or something? Or maybe you’re just visiting from /pol/ and thought his skin tone was a few shades too dark. Do everyone a favour and put on a trip so we can filter you.

What makes you think the minis are worth 25$
Also
>Blood Rage expansion
>6 minis for 25$
Thats GW level pricing

In all honesty, if you like it, you buy it. I'm just a little grupy that "cool minis" become more and more important than good mechanics, playtesting or clear rules

What is the right amount of miniature detail vs. cost? I get some of you might just prefer colored wooden blocks but if that's the case I'm sorry, you need to go home eat some sauerbraten and play the latest train simulator after your day at work driving a forklift.

I don't need hyper detailed minis but I need more than a fucking block.

I agree the BR expansions are total rip-offs but the core game gets you a decent amount of high detail miniatures + monsters + a game. They very evidently skimp on the non-model components though.

Rising Sun doesn't seem too bad to me either if you're going to have a use for those models outside of just the same they come with. The expansions seem to be the part where they jew you.

Nothing less than KD:M detail is acceptable.

Every Lang game is a cool idea implemented with zero subtlety and produced after zero playtesting. The games cost significantly more than they are worth because they include overproduced but somehow still shit quality miniatures despite the fact that the theme is razor thin.

What's your evidence that the games have zero playtesting? Somewhat related, do you think Chaos in the Old World is a bad game?

KD:M is overdetailed for casual play.

None of the games he's created are balanced, have you even played one? Every game he's made is Cosmic Encounter levels of relying on players to do the balancing as they play. Yes, including CitOW and yes CitOW is a poorly designed game.

I too have no imagination

Shut up kraut.

>He hasn't played Arcane Academy

KD:M is the answer. If you're going to go with miniatures rather than standees, meeples, or even fucking cubes, you should go all the way.

Pandemic Legacy S2 was incredibly underwhelming compared to S1, but I couldn't help but finishing them. The legacy meme I'm having the most fun with right now is Charterstone. Can't wait to see what the finished game looks like once we've played through the campaign.

>what the finished game looks like
scythe

No descent fellows in this thread anymore?

What's the average cost for the base core of KD:M?

>reprint
Cave Evil, if only because more people should be experiencing the wholesome Ameritrash insanity that it provides. Warcults is a good alternative, but there isn't as much incentive to dig tunnels compared to the original
>re-release
Magic Realm, or the supposed upcoming re-release of Divine Right not being vaporware

I''ve been wanting to pick up Successors for a long while but have been holding off, have you had a chance to play it?

I could have picked up a complete set of Tannhauser+expansions for a few hundred Ausbux a year ago but decided against it (not sure if it's still on the BGG market or not), how badly did I fuck up by missing out?

Edge of Extinction really pushes Exodus to a whole new level with the combat cards, and the faction techs add a lot of great asymmetry to the game. I've been playing with some of the modules in Event Horizon, and the Centaurian Resistance buff actually makes them challenging through the entire game instead of being complete pushovers by turn 4

Has anyone tried this? I love the movie, so I was considering trying it.

$400 straight from their online store.
Black Friday had a $100 discount.

Has anyone tried Gloomhaven or Dragonfire? Which one would be better for 2 players? Any similar games?

You need at least 6 people to play it. ideally more.

Someone was talking about it the other day - search through the last thread should be there

IIRC if the things have the rope or the flamethrower the realdudes are boned.

I need opinions on Concordia.

I normally like games with heavy player interaction like Tigris and Euphrates or Dogs of War but I also enjoy games like Race for the Galaxy. Would I enjoy Concordia?

Another user here. I give the credit to Kevin Wilson for that game.

who is the Todd Howard of board gaming

CMON and Poots share that title.

I haven't played a game of Concordia where people haven't enjoyed it. It's just a solid game.

Poots doesn't hide enormous swathes of content behind KS exclusivity.

That's fair, but it does mean he's got at least something on his resume that's not CMON KS plastic-pushing and basically the shovelware of the Board Game world. I don't think he's a bad designer, I think he's a lazy designer who found a way to get rewarded for his half-assed lack of effort by selling his soul to CMON.

You guys have any ideas about stocking suffer games? I want some small ideas for friends.

I already own these games, and we all love them and play them, so I'm looking for some new things to get them. And also so that I'm not the only person who owns board games in my group of friends.

-Valley of Kings
-Love Letter
-Hanakimoji
-Jaipur
-Tides of Madness
-Coup
- Fairytale

I'm thinking of small box, light weight sorts of things. Are the Tiny Epic series of games what I'm looking for? Galaxies looked interesting.

Just behind ludicrous paywalls.

I've tried Tiny Epic Western (own it) and Kingdoms. Both very decent but the rules are a bit confusing at first. It gets better when with more plays.

I gave my 2 cents about tiny epic quest a few threads back that you can read if you want. Also, check out Hive or Rhino Hero

There's some of the old TMG microgames on the BGG store for $3 each, and Asmadi sells older stuff discounted under $10. Not all winners, but some good options in there for cheap stocking fodder

Seconding Rhino hero. I think the original is better than Super Battle too.

>could have picked up a complete set of Tannhauser+expansions for a few hundred Ausbux a year ago but decided against it (not sure if it's still on the BGG market or not), how badly did I fuck up by missing out?

Both a ton, and not at all. There are reasons I put it as something I want a new edition of, not a reprint.
I love the game to death. The art is great, the minis are solid prepaints for a decade ago, the theme and setting are super fun, and it's still probably the most entertaining deathmatch/arena game I own.
But it's also an incredible unrepentant hedonistic orgy of dice-chucking ameritrash bullshit that laughs hideously at the faintest notion of balance or fair play.
Most of the time, it's way too random for me to want to bother hauling it out and setting it up. There are a million better games out there.

But when I get the itch to pit a squad of trenchcoat-entombed shocktruppen lead by a mad hell-Oberleutnant with a demon-possessed wallhack luger against a tesla fetishist Russian matriarchy's power armor, mystics, and commissariat? Nothing like it.

The first time I read this, I had never played Settlers of Catan, so the story meant nothing to me outside of the bizarre shit the characters did. Having played the game now, I sympathize a bit with Plouton. It's definitely the kind of game where you can lose in the beginning and spend the rest of your time as a spectator watching the real players compete.

Would you say those ones are better than galaxies?

TMG games look /too/ small for what I'm looking for, and nothing at asmadi really grabbed my eyes, thanks for the ideas though.

And why would (You) care? According to the 'Poor-fags on the street' it's nothing more than expensive resin with no game.

HIPS. Resin is only available in limited runs on the site for individual minis.

And this is exactly why it commands the $400 price tag. 36 "man sized" (30mm scale, 20mm base) figures with a shitton of customization options, 7 50mm base monsters, and the fucking Phoenix. If you were handing your burgerdollars to GW you probably wouldn't even make the model count. Go with somewhere a little saner and maybe? But they'd still set you back a hefty chunk of the game's asking price. Then you get several pounds of high quality cards, a hardback rulebook, and a couple boards.

It's expensive, I've got nothing against anybody who doesn't see themselves dropping that kind of dosh on a board game. You could also probably call it "Overproduced" and you might even be right. This though?

>ludicrous paywalls.

Bullshit. That paywall exists for good reason, or you can get TTS.

Any strong opinions on Bios: Genesis?

hahahaha

Not familiar with it but
>Suitable for Competitive, Cooperative, and Solitaire play!
Isn't a great sign

So's Mage Knight, and that game is amazing.

Not exactly the lines I was thinking of. More like how the dice rolls affect the gameplay, how much strategy is involved, and how much decision depth it has.

The fuck.

>You guys have any ideas about stocking suffer games? I want some small ideas for friends.
Red7.

I spent 50 on Conan and threw out the game, but no. No I don't. Also does anyone want a Conan game with paper minis LOLHAHA

>had

I do, PM me :^)