Mtg standard

I don't see one around, so I'll make it myself.

>What are you playing?

>What are you hating?

>What are you brewing?

>What do you hope to see from Rivals?

Also what's in that board game?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-black-aggro-43060#paper
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-w-g-aggro-43229#paper
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/june-13-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-06-13
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gonna answer my own questions
>>What are you playing?
I'm playing a mostly budget Dimir Pirate deck that mostly uses Favourable Winds, two Fell Flagships, and a one off Beckett Brass to pump my flying pirates (along with a set of Aether Harvesters)
It would probably be better if I had a good sideboard and better lands.
>>What are you hating?
Everything, though my deck isn't actually *that* terrible and can compete with, if not win against, things like Approach and energy aggro.
>>What are you brewing?
I want to do a bigger, better pirate deck, and I've basically got a playset of every pirate card at this point in hopes that Rivals gives me what I need. I want to do Revel in Riches.
>>What do you hope to see from Rivals?
Pirates. Both for EDH and Standard, whether it's cheap fliers or something to make a pirate tribal aggro deck really play well.
Treasure tokens that come from something better than draft commons. I want stuff to make Revel in Riches work.

>just ordered RR, will hopefully be here by Friday
>energy. Not because I think it's some unbeatable monster of a deck, but because of how op energy in general is.
>I'd love more decent dinosaurs so I could actually use Gishath in ash.
Quick question, is there likens stock RR deck? Some run crop crashers and some dont

Since this thread is dying I'm going to just post my decklist and ask for advice.

4 Siren Stormtamer
4 Kitesail Freebooter
4 Lookout's Dispersal
4 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Favourable Winds
2 Fell Flagship
1 Admiral Beckett Brass
2 Dreamcaller Siren
2 Skyship Plunderer
2 Storm Fleet Aerialist
3 Hostage Taker
2 Sword-Point Diplomacy
3 Chart a Course
4 Unclaimed Territory
2 Submerged Boneyard
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Fetid Pools
6 Swamp
9 Islands

SIDEBOARD
1 Deadeye Tracker
3 Negate
1 Spell Pierce
2 Walk the Plank
1 Sentinel Totem
2 Essence Scatter
2 Metallic Rebuke
2 Heartless Pillage
1 Doomfall

I feel like my sideboard is a mess, and Heartless Pillage isn't as great ever since I took out Raider's Wake for being too high cost. I can't really think of reasons I'd want to side it in.

>>What are you playing?
BW Hidden Stockpile Anointer Priest. Trying to come up with a better gameplan than "Chump everything and resolve a Marionette Master, or just go to time"
>>What are you hating?
Nothing really. The sheer number of aggro decks out there is getting annoying though, even though it's a favored matchup.
>>What are you brewing?
Esper God Pharaoh's Gift. Seems fun and I'm just dying to play my Champion of Wits since Elder Deep Fiend rotated.
>>What do you hope to see from Rivals?
Better vampire support. Maybe something to make Bant goodstuff happen too.

>What are you playing?
Esper mummies

>What are you hating?
I don't know anymore, it's been a while. Last time Energy made my ass hurt a lot

>What are you brewing?
I just found out a Abzan Explore deck and I'm really liking it good jib kittus

1)Counters (Energy) hate
2)Explore shenanigans
3)Something that helps tokens

depends on your local meta ;^D

how do you plan to pay for Brass if you have no treasure or red mana? It's hard to attack with 3 pirates, figures deal damage.
Remove the Boneyard and add 2 Evolving wilds, you don't need a lot of mana in this deck. do you?
I've never tried Sword-Point diplomacy IRL, do you think it works?
Try a Kefnet monument, if you think that you may need time or bontu if you need a bit more life or damage.

>SIDEBOARD
Add another totem and 2 Bontu's Last Reckoning. I don't like all those counter spells, if approach of the second sun is a problem try lost legacy. River's rebuke as a last stand against tokens.

What's better
1 hazoret, 1 crop crasher, and 3 sand stranglers, or 1 hazoret, and 4 crashers?

>how do you plan to pay for Brass if you have no treasure or red mana?
Unclaimed Territory naming Pirates. And she's mostly there as another Anthem effect. If I can get her ability off it's just extra spicy.

>I've never tried Sword-Point diplomacy IRL, do you think it works?
It is so good and I wish I had a playset.

The monuments might actually be good ideas, though my deck isn't exactly creature heavy at only 18, and the most likely things to cut (or sideboard out) are Skyship Plunderers and Storm Fleet Aerialists.

I don't need a lot of land, though, so maybe I will put in Evolving Wilds.

>Add another totem and 2 Bontu's Last Reckoning. I don't like all those counter spells, if approach of the second sun is a problem try lost legacy. River's rebuke as a last stand against tokens.
I'm more likely to use the Trackers than the Totem, honestly. Lost Legacy is probably a good idea that I should have thought about.
I actually used to have River's Rebuke, but took it out because it was too high cost. Might be a good idea to put it back in, you're right.

Newfag here.
My wife and I just picked up playing.
She is using a blue/green deck and I am using a black/white deck. She keeps destroying me with 7/7 and 8/8 cards and my deck is full of weaker cards but they all have shit like lifelink. Anything I can do to my deck to combat this? I lose every fucking time.

Can you post actual decklists so we can see what y'all are working with?

Don't have the deck list with me right now but I can post it later.
Basically how every game has gone is that she keeps playing creatures with very high power and toughness and trample. I don't really have anything that can destroy those cards and it seems like I don't have any strong cards in my collection. I don't know if I just have a shitty collection or what.

Use removal. All the removal. ALL OF THEM.

>Unclaimed Territory naming Pirates
ahahah Im retarded

pshhhh black has the best removal
Do you intend to buy some singles?
don't be to hard on her, or she will get angry and answer with Hexproof (Can't be target of spells), or even worse stop playing

He's likely working with standard, or even Ixalan only cards, so his removal is going to be, like... Contract Killing and Walk the Plank in monoblack.

Also thoughts on Siren's Ruse? It'd probably be better if my pirates had Raid, though it is good for Kitesail and Hostage Takers.

I’m going for a Merfolk deck built around rites of itolmoc and tishana voice of thunder. Unblickable, lots of 1/1 counters, and tokens. I have 4 metallic mimics coming and I’m going to mess around with Nissa steward of elements a bit.

I’m looking for sleeves featuring big anime fish tiddies if anyone can make a recc ? I can’t find anything like it on eBay.

Forgot pic

Here’s meat of it excluding some counter spells. Any tips ? Never really built a deck before.

>What are you playing?
Temur Energy.

>What are you hating?
Crappy dinosaurs.

>What are you brewing?
1. Monoblack aggro
2. Blue/black Revel in riches/Mechanized production.

Decent dinosaurs.

new idea, do you like keywords?
add some first strike and death touch fellows in your deck, and enjoy your superior words.
Just go trought your album and feed them to the mighty soulslayer

how can monogreen pull off 8/8 or even 7/7 trample in standard? ah dinos you say this is bad.

As someone who also built a Merfolk standard deck, here's my thoughts:

Tishana is shit. To get the most out of her, you need to go wide (not too hard) and survive long enough to cast her. The problem is that a good 90% of decks will have an answer for her when you get her out, or in the case of vampires, be able to chump her every turn. If you insist on running her though, your deck should focus more on her, probably cutting the +1/+1 counter aspect to focus on going wide. Vanquisher's Banner, full playset of Deeproot Waters, etc. Removal effects (Unsummon, River's Rebuke, etc.) or effects that remove blockers (Tempest Caller, etc.) can help you actually do damage with Tishana as well. And since you don't seem to have any, put in Kopala for defense, since it affects all abilities your opponents activate, exert and planeswalkers included, so long as they target a merfolk you control.

For your sideboard, consider what the local meta is for your LGS. If there's lots of control, sideboard in Negate/Disallow, or possibly a Serpopard or two to make sure your stuff hits the field. Dive Down and Blossoming Defense work as well.

And because you mentioned it, my experience with trying out Nissa steward is that her text reads "Target opponent discards a removal spell." Not that that's bad, just want you to know what to expect with her.

Thanks for the advice bros.
I don't have too many of those cards but I'll see what I got. I have a few skittering heartstoppers, I feel like they would be useful to take out some of the stronger cards.

Does anyone know if those repacks you can buy off Amazon are worth it?

>do you want to start and have no collection or ideas for your deck?
try it!

>a bit of experience and you own already 1/4 (lands lol) of your deck?
buy the singles

3rd question, are you going to play with your friends at your place or going to your local store and fight strangers like me?

What kind of repacks?

I know Walmart used to have these ones that were ten dollars and they took damaged Planechase/Archenemy/Starter/Duel decks (without whatever foil promo would have been sealed separately) and put two of them in a plastic case with a random booster.

Those things were fucking amazing and I kind of want to look for some, but they were always at Walmarts in different cities, never the one near me.

>no mainboard removal
Seems pretty risky, Desu. You probably just scoop to Ramunap Red.

How's Sword Point working for you? I'm running Dimir Flying Pirates as well and have considered it once.

I haven't actually played against Ramunap Red. Mostly Energy beats and control decks. A few dinosaurs. Some white weenie servos.
To protect myself I mostly use Hostage Takers, Lookout's Dispersal, and steal any of their removal with Freebooter, then side in whichever counters are more useful.

The budget list suggested Unsummons, but playing against so many Energy decks and other ETB bullshit makes me hesitant. I don't really want to take out any more flyers, though.

Sword Point Diplomacy is incredibly good. Losing a Freebooter or Hostage Taker is bad, but bolting them and digging is very good. I want two more.

Not much interest in standard, I guess...

Also use white cards like Sandblast or impeccable timing, I used them against my extremely aggro friend and its great.

Farm/Market is a pretty funny one too just for the first ability. Also I dunno, use Fumigate as a board wipe I guess.

That's the story everywhere.
After the whole banning fiasco a great number of people switched to modern or dropped competitive magic altogether. Look at the SCGs, for example - most of them are modern events now.
WotC has their work cut out for them to rebuild player goodwill, and so far Ixalan hasn't done much in that regard. People are so averse to standard WotC can't even lure them to play by handing out packs that contain at least $5 of value (saturday showdown).
Maybe after the whole DCI/judge shitstorm is resolved they could have better, 'official' tournaments with attractive prize pools.

If you have a deck that utilizes a lot of little creatures you want to be able to kill someone before they can start slamming down fatties or you go wide so you can just chump block everything and still get around their blockers to do damage.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-black-aggro-43060#paper

is an example of a cheap monoblack aggro deck. Lose the fatal pushes, heart of kirans, and vraska's contempts and it's a pretty cheap deck.

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-w-g-aggro-43229#paper

Cheap WG. Almost $50 of the $112 cost is in the sideboard. If you're just playing casual with someone, you don't need sideboards. I've been playing WG at my LGS and it's been surprisingly effective. I can recommend it as something powerful on a budget.

What banning fiasco? What judge shitstorm?

We've had standard only for the last several months at my shop. Not many people showing up for the Showdowns, but still. Since Ixalan's release it's been maybe two or three Drafts and Standard Standard Standard.

A lot of shit got banned in standard in a short period of time about a year ago. It basically knocked out the most popular decks several times, so people got fed up and quit.
Judges are suing WoTC in a civil case.

Presently skipping the next ten years of Magic because the game is honestly kind of shit right now and shows no signs of getting better.

Why did they get rid of Event Decks?

>What are you playing?
GW Myriarch, UR Enigma Drake, and Naya Aid From the Cowl
>What are you hating?
Control in general. Myriarch and Aid From the Cowl are both really weak to hand disruption.
>What are you brewing?
Mostly refining Myriarch and Drake. Might go Naya for Myriarch to get more haste enablers, right now my only one is Iron League Steed.
Good keyword creatures, big ramp targets, and wacky build-around jank.

Don't know about an 8/8, but Sifter Wurm is a 7/7 trample.

She's not playing regeneration (no one but me is running fucking verdant rebirth mainboard) so anything with deathtouch at least kills carnage tyrant and kin. White has Settle the Wreckage which is a board-wipe version of one of the most popular cards the color has ever had. Black has Bontus and direct kill spells such as fatal push or walk the plank (neither will not reach hydra or tyrant through hexproof but get everyone else just fine).

For card advantage black's got a couple crap options but if the games are going long (removal heavy decks get that way) you can get the pic related sweet legendary land and basically never get a chance to flip it with a little lifelink.

If nothing else, cast out is a good card.

Wow, tell me more.
What got banned in Standard of all things, and why'd Judges sue?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/june-13-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-06-13
I'm surprised so much stuff was banned for Standard.

Yo, R8 mah brew:

3x Enigma Drakes

2x Abrade

4x Siren Stormtamer

2x Insult // Injury

2x Fling

3x Hieroglyphic Illumination

3x Favorable Winds

3x Glorybringer

3x Opt

3x Censor

2x Shock

1x Dreamcaller Siren

3x Riddleform

2x Lightning Strike

1x Nimble Obstructionist

1x Confiscation Coup

7x Mountain

7x Island

4x Aether Hub

3x Evolving Wilds

1x Highland Lake

Sideboard:

3x Magma Spray

3x Negate

3x Fiery Cannonade

3x Essence Scatter

3x Hour of Devastation

Also, here's Gary.

Someone was telling me about an "Eggs" deck they were brewing, and I kind of like the idea.

Use the Implements, Pia's Revolution, and Marionette Master to just keep cracking things and hurting people.

// 60 Maindeck
// 12 Artifact
4 Implement of Combustion
2 Treasure Map
4 Servo Schematic
2 Implement of Malice

// 13 Creature
2 Marionette Master
3 Reckless Fireweaver
4 Syndicate Trafficker
4 Dire Fleet Hoarder

// 10 Enchantment
4 Pia's Revolution
2 Underhanded Designs
2 Hidden Stockpile
2 Makeshift Munitions

// 4 Instant
4 Unlicensed Disintegration

// 21 Land
4 Dragonskull Summit
5 Mountain
6 Swamp
4 Canyon Slough
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Inspiring Vantage

Thoughts?

Goldfishing this it seems really fun, though I'd really like to try it against an actual person.

It'll probably fold like tissue paper to a real deck, though.

// 60 Maindeck
// 19 Artifact
4 Implement of Combustion
3 Treasure Map
4 Servo Schematic
4 Implement of Malice
4 Implement of Improvement

// 7 Creature
3 Marionette Master
4 Reckless Fireweaver

// 10 Enchantment
3 Pia's Revolution
4 Underhanded Designs
3 Hidden Stockpile

// 3 Instant
3 Costly Plunder

// 21 Land
4 Dragonskull Summit
4 Mountain
5 Swamp
2 Canyon Slough
3 Plains
3 Evolving Wilds

I'm the only person who's posted in this thread in the last several hours but I'm still awake at 2:30 tweaking this dumb deck alone because my Cockatrice partner isn't around. I should sleep.

Will Rivals of Ixalan have any decent enemy colored lands, or is that just for the first set of each block?

>Not just swiftwing and nighthawk

Wtf are you even doing?

any tips for a new player trying to start out? what are some good premade structure/starter decks that I can modify to my liking?

Exactly how new are you? Do you want to play at game stores or just at home with friends? Are you familiar with the various formats of play?

I have never touched MTG up until this point. no prior card game experience save for a short period of yugioh about 4 years ago. I have almost no clue what the formats mean except for legacy format, which i believe is like a "classic cards only" game.

I am looking to play at stores and with friends, maybe even make a few new friends in the process.

I have the card in your pic but I'm not really sure how to use it properly. What level should I keep my health at when using that card?

Planeswalker decks are the only sort of structure deck out rn. They're trash, but should help you understand the absolute basics of the game. Be aware, you shouldn't take them to even a fnm, they'll be smashed. Best for you and a friend to play them against eachother. Buy booster packs if you want new cards but have no idea of what you specifically want.
If you ever want to progress past casual kitchen table, the formats of the game are
Standard, which consists of decks made with cards from the set Kaladesh to the set Ixalan. Generally the format newbies go to since it's a lower power level and has shiny new cards. Cards printed in the planswalkers decks are also legal to play in this format (I think) Prices for standard decks can range from like $20 (like my cheap red green dino deck, which doesnt do too good) to around $250 for one of the best decks in standard. But be aware this is a rotating format, meaning certain cards will not be legal for play at some point in the future. But that, ideally, keeps the format fresh.
Then we have the Modern format, which consists of cards from 8th edition to now. It's non rotating, so unless a key card in a deck were to get banned, you can play the same deck until you're tired of it. Power level is higher than standard, and turn 4/5 wins are common. Again deck prices are on both ends of the spectrum, but the decks tend to hold value. I play burn (which consists of cards like lighting bolt, lava spike, and more cheap "deal 3 damage" spells) and it was around $200-$300, but I'll never worry about it being rotated out, banned, and if I ever tire of it I can sell it and put that money towards another deck.
The other 3 main formats are vintage, legacy, and edh, which I won't explain because I can't be bothered. Not really newbie friendly.
There's also shit and YouTube.
Mtggoldfish.com can show you decklists and prices and give you an idea of what the "meta" looks like
Feel free to ask more questions friend

Meant
"There's also shit on YouTube"
Like literally you can type in "how to play mtg" and get some decent content

thank you very much for the advice

For that BW List, I'm building a list without priest, and I use Bontu and Yahenni as wincons

>What are you playing?
BR Creatureless Control

>What are you hating?
God Pharaoh's Gift

>What are you brewing?
a UW Lifegain and BW Lifegain list.

Some support for BR control, not enough in basically any set.

I want to like God-Pharaoh's Gift, but I feel like the only cards in standard that would be good reanimated as 4/4s are the ones that already have Eternalize.

>what are you playing?
switching between Jeskai control and Grixis control
>what are you hating
Approach of the second sun. Fuck that card
>what are you brewing
Sultai control
stuff to make dinosaurs and pirates good and stuff that fucks approach.

Look at good stuff from the other sets, Angel of invention, Gifted Aetherborn, kitesail freebooter

you should find space for glimmer of genius. card is pretty good

There are two basic ways to play Magic; Constructed and Limited.

Constructed means you put together a deck with cards from your collection to make a deck (usually 60 cards, but not always).
>except for legacy format, which i believe is like a "classic cards only" game.
That's not exactly how Legacy works, but yes it is one of the big formats. There's also Standard (what this thread is for), Modern, Vintage, Pauper, Commander, and a bunch of smaller formats, each with their own legal sets and ban lists. I'd say Standard is good for new players due to its small card pool, but like mentioned, it's a rotating format so don't get too attached to any deck you make for it.

Limited is when you open packs and build a 40-card deck from those packs. There is sealed (open 6 packs and make a deck from the cards in those packs), or draft (open 3 packs, but you pick cards from them and pass the rest around a table of other players to make your card pool). Sealed is good for new players because you don't need to construct your card pool before making a deck, and you can ask for help building a deck from your pool. Drafting is great for getting better at the game, but it's a real steep learning curve for very new players.

I'd suggest going into your nearby game stores and asking what kind of formats they run on different days. Also if you go on a slow day, if your LGS is good, you can ask them for help getting started with the game.

Use it on your opponent's end step, and do it until you're worried the opponent might be able to deal that much damage on a moment's notice.

I still have a copy of Yahenni. He's great for flipping Legion's Landing and winning on the spot when I drop a Marionette Master. I cut Bontu out because she was tough to get online and not really worth the payoff. I found Aethersphere Harvester much better at staying alive in the midgame or just flying over. Might try her again though, since I'm upping my board wipes.

I'm actually considering running a 1-of Approach since the deck can grind so long with the Anointer Priests, and scry a ton with Stockpile.

Angel of Invention is nice (and maybe Master Manipulator), but I feel like Gifted Aetherborn and Kitsail Freebooter don't really... benefit much from being made 4/4s by shenanigans.

It doesn't grab me the way that Unburial Rites decks did.

posting examples
I wanted him to get a boner by combining low tier cards he may had in his album into something beautifull

good luck

Could this cool guy be reprinted in Rivals? I feel like it's possible since Silvergill Adept is getting one, and it would really help to make the vampire deck actually happen.

have you ever wanted a 6/6 hasty flying vigilant lifelink creature as early as turn 3?

Turn 3?

The turn after turn 2.
It's the nut draw but:
T1 Island, Minister of Inquiries
T2 Search for Azcanta, mill 3
T3 Mill 3, pitch the top card to flip Azcanta, Refurbish Gift, bring back Angel.

Requires a ton of luck but not impossible by any stretch. if you get another angel in the yard that's 20 cumulative flying damage t4.

as we approach the end of 2k17, is MTGO still worth getting into?

you can still find them but in my experience they only restock them every few months and are mostly terrible. But If you can figure out whats in them you can find valuable ones. I always make a point to try to find commander ones.

Gifted Aetherborn becomes something your opponent just never wants to deal with, it shits on long tusks, bristle hydra, carnage tyrant, it makes attack a nightmare for you opponent, kitesail becomes a 4/4 flier with a free duress effect if you got a duress effect off him before then you get to fuck with your opponent again and they cant counter it unless they waste disallow.

I read Underhanded Designs and Syndicate Trafficker wrong and that frustrates me, because if they had no mana costs, Eggs really would be a viable deck. Probably. Actually it'd still probably crumble to Energy beats.

Budget Vampires
Ramunap Red
Green Black Explore
I hope Rivals has some stuff that makes the shittier archetypes from Ixalan a bit more viable, and a good draft format

How's the UR Artificers deck?

WotC is trying their damndest to kill it, but MODO is basically a digital version of the reserve list at this point.

Not with the Shaman typing, but oh god would I like a conquistador nighthawk

>Not with the Shaman typing, but oh god would I like a conquistador nighthawk
Oh right, I suppose that is limiting. Core sets would be perfect for it right now though.

jesus fuck, kaladesh can't rotate soon enough

For standard? Hell no.
Play paper or wait for MTG:Hearthstone.
MTGO is only worth it for vintage/legacy, fucking reserve list.

Mono-black Aggro is fun as fuck. Threw it together since I had pushes from my moder deck but now I wanna brew more.

How are the control decks in standard? Im thinking of brewing a grixis control list.

Most control lists in standard have white for approach of the second sun.
Grixis amulet is pretty close tho. It's basically removal and disruption then closes out with double damage from cut//ribbons or torment of hailfire. Pretty sweet imo

my pubes