Stuff for IRL gaming?

I've been running for a couple months now using all the dice well need, a gaming matt to draw on, and pieces of wood from work to act as tokens. I'm looking to upgrade my set up, what would you guys recommend? any tools help you guys with IRL gaming?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/NITvL
youtube.com/watch?v=xKSaVWh6XEk&feature=youtu.be
amazon.com/Paizo-Inc-Pathfinder-Pawns-Bestiary/dp/1601255616/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KADT2YYCTQY5XX4JRXJR
amazon.com/Pathfinder-Pawns-Heroes-Villains-Collection/dp/1601259514/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512499114&sr=8-2&keywords=pathfinder pawns
amazon.com/Pathfinder-Pawns-Society-Pawn-Collection/dp/160125850X/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KK8EE7VBKZB4ZM5D1MPF
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you're willing to put a little bit of money into it - you could always look at getting minis. Even if you just start with the PCs - Reaper's Bone line are very affordable with a pretty wide range of models.

You could also start using 3D terrain. Not a bad idea to start with generic stuff first - pillars, stalagmites, rubble, furniture. You can make all that stuff with household items. Check out DM Scotty on YouTube for inspiration.

Get one of these. $12 dry erase mat. You can't go wrong.

Dead mini games like Mage Knight are a great way to get a bunch if minis off eBay. You might have to cut them off their bases to match your scale though.
If you're playing a system with initiatuve invest in a modest sized whiteboard to write init order on where everyone can see.
Get a large sized table that can fit the game mat and laptops for everyone if you don't already have one.
Invest in coasters

>Invest in coasters
GENIUS

What do you guys use to clean your matts?

>3D terrain

someone should design a base that can be adjusted from the bottom, its an interconnected grid that can be pushed up and it has a matt on top, this way you can have 2 different levels of terrain represented in a 3d way. that'd be fucking awesome

>Gaming Matt

self bump

My low-price setup.
imgur.com/gallery/NITvL

I don't use a mat. I either build terrain - or use a digital battle map.

I have a wet erase mat, usually throw away paper towels and water, cleaning alcohol when available and the color is particularly stubborn that day.

Laminator
Thank me later

>Not spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on buildings, terrain and miniatures you'll never use.
wtf, kickstarter has been around for almost a decade.

I designed these as a midway step between those cheap cardboard cutouts you place in stands and actual miniatures. Print them out on index cards, cut them out, and fold and glue them together so that the sides (triangles) and bottoms (squares) are respectively overlapping. It's a good idea to glue some kind of weight (like a penny) to the inside of the base, so that they'll stay put better. Given the material and the folds, they're actually pretty sturdy little wedges.

Pictures can be slapped on them using pretty much any graphic program (though you may need something more sophisticated than Paint if the pic you're using is a full scene and not just a person on a blank background, as you'll probably want to edit out everything but the person).

One for a creature that's longer than it is high -- a quadruped of some sort. This one's as tall as the regular figurine, so it's for something like a giant lizard, but you can always modify print size if you want something shorter.

Forgot the pic.

I bought Pathfinder pawns for monsters, NPCs, and tribes. Like 900 for 60 bucks. I have never needed anything more and my players bring their own minis.

I love mine but the creases absolutely kill it for me.
Tempted to print and laminate my own perfectly flat version that's the exact size as my table.

>Name cards
This is an absolute requirement in my games, especially in early sessions. Not only does it stop people from calling every character "my/your/his guy", it also indirectly encourages acting in character since you're likely to be addressed by your PC name.

I got into crafting terrain about 6 months ago and my players love the shit out of it. Some dungeon tiles, pillars, ladders and cliffs is enough to make all the difference, but slowly crafting buildings, torches from LED candles, altars etc. really makes dungeons feel more fleshed out. It also prevents the stoners I game with from pulling the whole "wait, what is over here again?" thing.

but the Magic board game and use the minis from that

it's super cheap

youtube.com/watch?v=xKSaVWh6XEk&feature=youtu.be

I went to a local shop and bought Legos in bulk for figures and landmarks.
I also bought a 1 and 2 inch hole punch for making pins / buttons to cut shitty magic cards and uses those as characters and monsters.

NOICE now thats what i call budget gaming

Get those crappy pre-painted d&d minis for npcs/monsters, if you or your players are willing to paint get some nice minis for the PC's and maybe the BBEG if you got one

low tier:
>get giant 1" grid presentation paper pad at craft store

mid tier:
>get two poster frames
>put premade maps in one and swap out
>put 1" grid in other
>use dry erase

pro tier:
>ditch the grid and just get a hunk of whiteboard from homedepot
>use dry erase and mini-fabric tape

Where did you get that many figures for so cheap?

its because their not real figures they're printed pictures on cardboard
pic related

Still fine by me. Got a link?

you can find a bunch of them by going on amazon and looking up pathfinder pawns
>For monsters
amazon.com/Paizo-Inc-Pathfinder-Pawns-Bestiary/dp/1601255616/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KADT2YYCTQY5XX4JRXJR
>For people
amazon.com/Pathfinder-Pawns-Heroes-Villains-Collection/dp/1601259514/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512499114&sr=8-2&keywords=pathfinder pawns
>In General
amazon.com/Pathfinder-Pawns-Society-Pawn-Collection/dp/160125850X/ref=pd_sim_14_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KK8EE7VBKZB4ZM5D1MPF

Thank ye user
No more skittle and m&m monsters for my group

epic god tier
>order a large dominos pizza
>eat pizza
>draw a grid on the box with a no.2 and use peperoni as tokens.

if you can drink. i recommend booze. (as along as your group can handle their liquor). I found a little gets people into role play more and they get more creative with solutions. It also helps for when your character you've been playing for 3 years dies from a cannon shot.

Skittles : M&Ms
Demons : Devils

bump

The Paizo initiative tracker is fantastic (so much so that they bought it from the original producer). Moving wet-erasable magnets is so much easier than constantly writing and erasing.

Mini-chalkboards with stands are great. You can get a laser-cut 10 pack off Amazon for a few bucks, they're designed as reusable name plates for parties and weddings, and they're awesome for character names. Actual chalk or liquid chalk markers show up great, though some are better at erasing than others. I've ended up buying 3 packs of them so far, just leaving ongoing PCs (and any flourishes and art from the players) in place instead of wiping them off between games. They also work well for clocks if you're playing a Powered by the Apocalypse game, so they do double duty in my Blades in the Dark campaign. Great, cheap, accessory.

Do they have them for all of the PF bestiaries? These are actually pretty good.

>pizza
I use the plastic pizza box stands as altitude for flying creatures. Sometimes I superglue a few together to make it higher.

>just get a hunk of whiteboard
Whiteboards are usually metallic so you can put fridge magnets on them.
I bought some A3 fridge magnet backing and glued printed room tiles on it. Now I have my own dungeon tiles that I can place and remove easily and stay where I put them.
I printed some A3 grids on overhead transparency sheets and slap them over the room tiles, held in place with tiny rare-earth magnets which I got for cheap online.

>initiative tracker
I'm I also use some magnetic bookmarks with label stickers on them as initiative markers, stack them on the side of the whiteboard and move as required.

If I'm using a battle map that day instead of magnetic room tiles, I just put the whiteboard against the wall and it still tracks initiative.

>Do they have them for all of the PF bestiaries? These are actually pretty good.
They're probably only for the main ones but you can easily make your own, I took pictures off google images, photoshopped them as required and printed them mirrored onto cardstock, cut out and folded over. Put them in an office clip and remove the metal handle from the clip, works well.