>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
For me, it's hexblade

Other urls found in this thread:

kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Inquisitive rogue is an insult. The first thing every wisdom check should result in is the DM admonishing you for picking inquisitive rogue.

How would you make a character that includes your magical realm?

Hard mode: Make it so the other players don't instantly know it's your magical realm.

First for Sorcerers need double the Sorc Points and Metamagic options

Next book announcement WHEN?

Folk hero background with a loving wife, because my magical realm is a happy marriage.

Arsonist in training which feat is better element adept or war caster or spell sniper?

>not refluffing inquisitive rogue as a sniper who uses their bonus action to take aim

Stat him /5eg/.

I've actually on-and-off been working on a 5e conversion for Star Wars.

Guys help. I'm dming my first ever game and my friends are adamant about it being in a homebrew sandbox-ish setting.

I'm okay with that, I'm just meh at encounter/dungeon building.

Game starts with the characters being pushed out of the coastal town they live due to a war waging in the seas to the east. They begin building anew in a semi ruined abandoned town in the woods. The combination of a handful of communities.

I was thinking a couple things to get the campaign rolling. First is a fire set by an arsonist. I haven't put a ton of thought into the details or why. I was thinking about giving out a fire based weapon if they see it through.

But the main thing is a half sunken church/temple by the river. The characters enter and as they go further you can see the stained glass windows struggling to hold water back. They definitely CAN break and likely will depending on what happens.

My issue is how can I manage the flow of this? Any guides out there or suggestions from you guys? What kind of encounter should it be? What creatures can lurk in there for a small party of level 1s to fight?

Posted late on last thread.
Why would anyone ever allow their DM to do exp by killing hits? Why wouldn't players just say 'fuck you you're an idiot' and quit?

What is best racr and why is it Halflings

I'm sorry you appear to be in the wrong thread
This is /5eg/, I believe you're looking for /pfg/
Here, allow me to redirect you so you may have your question better answered: Next time please pay more attention to the thread you post in. We play 5e here.

so how do you calculate challenge rating? should a 3 man party of level 1 be able to take CR3? What's the math?

Dragonborn lady that venerates dragons and wants to be just like a real dragon, including keeping a giant hoard and being greedy.

Unfortunately, this greed also makes her hoard food, so she's put on a lot of weight.

What happens if you cast Mordenkainen's mansion inside the interdimensional space created by a Rope Trick?

what is?

Damn good question user... the only problem is...

Which one?

Female barbarian or halfling curious about the world outside her village.

war caster, blasters don't concentrate and spell sniper is unnecessary

Coastal? Locathah (fishmen) or sahuagin (shark-men)

As for managing the flow, roll a d6 for each room and check the following table:

1. Monster with treasure.
2. Monster.
3. Trap or hazard.
4. Something odd to mess with.
5. Empty.
6. Empty.

Make sure there are multiple routes to take, at least 1 thing to talk to, and the creatures inside know their environment.

>apparently immortal
>shanks his "sister"
>apparently can magic
>lame ass final boss
Feels like a whisper bard more charisma god he was so underwhelming

Calculating the CR of a given creature is based on its combat stats. There's more detail in the DMG if you want it.

A party of 4 characters of level X should be able to win a CR X encounter after a mildly tough fight.

yes which is why it doesn't happen barring the usual sub 1% exceptions that can't be helped

if evocators don't need to con then what's the point of war caster? I can't see spells on OA being useful unless they got too close which shouldn't happen.

The city the characters were kicked out of was coastal. This sunken temple is in an enchanted forest near a river. Fishmen could definitely still work for that though.

This is super helpful though, thanks a bunch!

>/5eg/
>Post a Star Wars pic so that /swg/ can get nice and confused and make shitposts in this thread

Go fuck yourself, OP.

>mistypes with his stubby little fingers
obviously it's half elves

Make a character built around using pic related
Laugh it off every time I use it

jack off under the table

Use this thing if the DMG explanations makes your head hurt:

kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

The first thing to look at for any odd feat is this: Was this meant for some type of Fighter? Warcaster is an EK optional class feature.

i guess i had a mini stroke when i was typing lol, meant to say elemental adept and NOT war caster for the reason i said

ignore this i meant to say elemental adept

The wording of Eldritch Smite leaves open the possibility to knock the victim of your attack prone separately from the decision to spend a spell slot to deal extra damage. It would be like Lance of Lethargy, Grasp of Hadar, and Repelling Blast by providing a free extra effect for your attacks.

Has anyone asked what the intention is on this and gotten an answer yet?

Sorcerers need more than that. Take away some spell slots if you have to — I don't give a shit, but a sorcerer's origin really should be a lot more important and impactful than just a few insignificant abilities that mean next to nothing.

Sorcerers should feel like powerful and unbidden sources of natural (and unnatural) magic, but instead, they yet again feel like shitty wizards with a few ineffectual tricks up their sleeve. 4e actually made me like sorcerers for the very first time — love them, in fact, but they're probably the biggest letdown for me in 5e.

do you have some kind of learning difficulty or are you genuinely 10 years old?

Probably just has a major humiliation fetish mixed with cbt.

What's more fun? War Cleric of Tempus, Tempest Cleric of Valkur, Light Cleric of Lathander or Life Cleric of Ilmater?

Devil's Sight
>You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.
Eldritch Sight
>You can cast detect magic at will, without expending a spell slot.
Which is better

R8 my Orc Eldritch Knight backstory:

>Very smart Orc fighter who got a spellbook from a wizard his warband killed. Quickly learned how to interpret it and learn how to cast spell. Became a "powerful" wizard and left his tribe as they feared him.
>Got ambushed by Drows and was taken as a slave. However, he was clever enough to find a way to escape (but couldn't get the spellbook back).
>While in the Underdark, he got attacked by Mind Flayers and Intellect Devourers . Powerful and smart, he defeated the Illithid, but got part of his brain devoured in the fight.
>The brain damage made him lose part of his memories (including how to most spells cast spells).
>2 years later he finally was able to get back to the surface, but as a shallow of his former self.

tempest definitely

You're making Ms. Blastia McBlaster of Blastown; you don't give two fucks about concentration.

devil's sight for a combat focused character, eldritch for utility, really they're both pretty great but devil's sight has a higher ceiling of usefulness if you lean into it

One of three options:

1) It doesn't work at all.
2) Bad shit happens.
3) It works just fine, because fuck you, it's magic.

I'm personally of the first line of thought, but it's really up to you or your GM to decide.

>You create a shadowy door on a flat solid surface that you can see within range. The door is large enough to allow Medium creatures to pass through unhindered. When opened, the door leads to a demiplane that appears to be an empty room 30 feet in each dimension, made of wood or stone. When the spell ends, the door disappears, and any creatures or objects inside the demiplane remain trapped there, as the door also disappears from the other side.

>Each time you cast this spell, you can create a new demiplane, or have the shadowy door connect to a demiplane you created with a previous casting of this spell. Additionally, if you know the nature and contents of a demiplane created by a casting of this spell by another creature, you can have the shadowy door connect to its demiplane instead.

Nothing in the description of this spell says I can make a door back to the material plane if I'm already in a demiplane. Does that mean that if I take a wizard nap in my demiplane, and the door closes on me, I can be potentially stuck outside the material plane forever? I'll never truly be stuck in that one demiplane because every day I can make a new one, but if I can't get back to the material plane is there any point to making new demiplanes every day?

See: You don't need war caster at all. If you've got extra feats, like you went VHuman, then picking up Spell Sniper after you've grabbed Elemental Adept isn't a bad way to go. The extra range lets you pretend you're artillery. Not super useful in dungeons, but in the open field you'd fuck groups of enemies raw.

Eeeeeh, seems a bit much for a level 1. Especially the fact he was there for 2 years. Maybe remove the part about the Drow and just have him straight up get caught by Illithid who took his spellbook?

If you're starting at like level 4-5+ then it's probably okay.

Also are you playing an Orc or Half-Orc? I'd highly recommend a Half-Orc for sheer mechanical benefit.

>3) It works just fine, because fuck you, it's magic.

Ok, assume this for a second. Rope trick disappears after an hour. Mordenkainen's mansion lasts for 24 hours. After the rope trick is gone, what happens to the people who exit the mansion?

Hexblade with Elemental Blade/Sun Sword.
>Eldrtich Blast are force pushes
>Witch Bolt Force Lightning
>Friends/Charm Person/Suggestion for Mind Trick
>Hold Monster/Person force grip.
>Scrying
>Foresight

Get the Pact of the Blade Invocations and your pretty much a Jedi. The few things your missing is telekinesis and Jump.

Yeah you'd want planeshift too or another wizard to come collect you

Mine is scars and/or mild disfiguration (i.e. burns or a missing eye), so it's really not that hard.

>seems a bit much for a level 1
Maybe, but the backstory is about a got fucked and lost most of his powers, so he's back to square one, and to justify a low Int character as an EK (he's recovering his memory and remembering some spells).

I know Horcs are better, but I want to play a full fledged Orc

Been thinking about world building lately, and it's really made me realize how depressing it must be to be one of the longer lived species.

> Elf becomes friends with a human
> They become best friends, adventure together
> After barely any time he's too old to adventure with you
> In less than 4-5 elf years he's dead, at least his kids and grandchildren remind you of him though
> They all have kids, die, repeat
> After a while they don't even look like your friend's family anymore
> Eventually, you're probably the only person in the entire world who even remembers he existed at one point

Man being an elf/dwarf/gnome must fucking suck.

The problem there is you're attaching a human mentality to death

Still, a character who used to be really powerful but suffered brain damage and/or memory loss making them go back to square one doesn't work well in D&D. Considering even a moderately leveled Cleric can cure shit like that easily.

Yeah, it's why elves eventually settle down from being adventurers. It's sad, but after a few decades it's like losing a pet.

Humans are to elves as dogs are to humans.

>a moderately leveled Cleric can cure shit like that easily
True, just ruined my idea

Now I want to try an convince my DM to let me play a Wood Elf Beastmaster with a CR1/4 Human Companion.

How many actions does it take to go from holding a holy symbol to holding a beating stick?

>Rainedog but with human and elf.

>Lautrec or Carim
>Cleric

Even sub 1% is too much
it requires the players to be too pussy to correct their DM

>The Warlock table shows how many spell slots you have. The table also shows what the level of those slots is; all of your spell slots are the same level. To cast one of your warlock spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a spell slot. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a short or long rest.
So at Level 10 you can only cast 2 spells? Really? I must be reading this wrong

If he won't, then just grab a hireling and fluff it.

the "payment" is you buying feed and whatever else. you know, typical pet owner stuff.

in a longterm, metaphorical sense, or in a literal combat sense?

They either end up in the the spot / place where the rope trick was cast, or they're immediately shunted to the same place once said spell ends, regardless of the mansion's duration.

2 spells per short rest.
3 with a pearl of power or wand of the pact keeper.

damn man i want to roleplay slavery

>Implying elves have emotions

Nope!

There's a reason why Warlocks are Eldritch Blasts on legs.

Two of your highest level spells a short rest, and you get a more powerful cantrip than other casters.

>New Ranger archetype: Thrallherd.

but thats really really shitty to know you only have 2 shots of magic vs any other spell caster who can cast 10 different spells and no i dont count weakass cantrips unless that's the warlock gimmick

if it's on your shield you could have both out, if not you could make it like a pendant or something attached to you and let go of it as a freer than free action and draw your weapon as your free object interaction

All-or-Nothing Coin
Once every 24 hours, on a D20 roll, you can instead flip a 2-sided coin and let fate decide the outcome. Heads equates to a critical hit and tails is a critical miss

Is this stupidly overpowered?

there's no lower bound to sub 1% but i'm not gonna argue with you lol

It is the gimmick. Warlocks are all about the eldritch blast and turning it into a cannon.

But they do, user; "insufferably smug" and "ineffectually outraged at having been punched for being insufferably smug".

yeah short rest is really what makes the class, you should be able to get 4 or even 6 level 5 spells off a day

>brainlet
Maybe you should take up a moba. That seems more your speed.

Make it just a hit or miss and it'd be fine, especially since critical fumbles/misses aren't even a thing and haven't been for quite some time.

I mean so its quality over quantity, but this is just cruel
>only at 17th you get your 4th spell slot
>you have 14 spells known
>10 will never ever be see the light of day
>worse if you just use your favorite spell 4 times
someone please explain to me the appeal unless you're ok with better magic missile every turn

Those who have run Tomb of Annihilation, did you use random encounters or did you plan out each day in the jungle with encounters that seemed fun?

also, how did you reveal the information about Omu (where it is, the fact it is where the Soulmonger is, etc)

Jump is an invocation.

I had an idea, what if the PC just thinks he was a powerful wizard, but was actually just an average eldritch knight? It was all just his imagination while trying to remember his old self

It implies it's not 0%.

per short rest!

They do when you make them orgasm.

no it doesn't don't be that guy

even cuter a orc playing pretend wizard who thinks he can cast fireball and eventually he will but hes also good with clubbing things

Or a powerful caster put a fake memory in his head as a joke.
They scry on him every so often and giggle to themselves. Like a person who drew eyebrows on a dog.

>cyborg fetish
Guess I'll just have to play Shadowrun or something...

Read That's literally it.

You're an archer martial with magical spell slots, why do you expect to get full caster spell slots?

Also "Mystic Arcanum" at 17th level you'd also have a one per long rest casting of a 6th level, a 7th level, an 8th level, and a 9th level spell.

These are separate from your pact magic.

>hey guys hold up I gotta nap since I blew my load on that last fight
>Henry we haven't even gotten a mile away from town and we had to short rest 3 times already
>Yea but whats the rush dont you want me to be useful?

>unless you're ok with better magic missile every turn

That's pretty much the long and short of it. And there's nothing wrong with a simple class - some people want to do as little mental gymnastics as possible. Like me, for example. I often drink alcohol whenever I play RPGs, so rolling up an Eldritch Blast turret was more than welcome.

crazy good for casters, pretty damn good for anybody else. just a hit or a miss should be fine without crits. But it also depends on the kind of games you run. If you don't mind your players having a 50/50 chance of critting something with an upcast guiding bolt or some shit and completely fucking destroying it, then it'd be whatever, but if you carefully plan out shit this'd be a massive thorn in your side. Also it requiring attunement or having charges would rein it in a bit.

The appeal is that you are theoretically fucking swimming in 5th level slots because your theoretical party theoretically takes 3 short rests per day. This is rarely the case, so the rest of the time you spam ELDRITCH BLAAAAAAAST and your at-will invocations