Last time on /5eg/:
>When the dm roll crits twice.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yJiQ-gZE5mc
youtube.com/watch?v=PpccpglnNf0
discord.me/5eg
astranauta.github.io/spells.html#conjure animals_phb
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Post fun 1st level dungeon encounter ideas.

Rust Monster.

talking doors with questions only specific party members can answer to encourage RP

>OP pic
>Sam Hyde.jpg

That can't be right. Sam Hyde has clearly never accomplished anything in his life.

its people like you that enable him to keep getting away with it

Rust monsters aren't even that bad. When my party encountered some we just hit them with slain enemy's weapons and random shit until they died.

HEXBLADES
How to build them? They seem better with Eldritch Blast, whats the point of a weapon?

Devils Sight and Darkness seem like a cool combo, but Hex+Hexblades Curse are great.
Darkness and Hex are both concentration though.

hexblade's curse is so you don't have to concentrate on hex to do other stuff.

Warlock will ALWAYS be better spamming Eldritch Blast, damage-wise. The Blade is literally just a fall-back weapon to rely on in case enemies get into melee range and cause your Eldritch Blast to start suffering accuracy disadvantage.

If you wana be a spellsword, play a fucking Paladin, Eldritch Knight, or Sword School Bard.

youtube.com/watch?v=yJiQ-gZE5mc

This song makes me want to run a oneshot based on it.

>this whole image
jesus christ

Giant spectral goat charging at party through narrow hallways and phasing through walls. Only giveaway to its presence is human-like screaming.
youtube.com/watch?v=PpccpglnNf0

What do Fighters do that Barbarians can’t do better?

Not sure about the placement of Paladins and Bards, but the whole "what gishfags want" circle is pretty damn accurate, given all the bitching of gishfags in these topics despite having tons of options already.

8 attacks in a single turn.

Netflix and Chill

Play a Samurai and all 8 of those attacks have advantage.

That fuck are you on about? If martial ability is damage in combat, then what is a fireball?

Pretty much everything, without being tied to an awful class core-mechanic that inflicts exhaustion levels.

Have 21 AC without magic items or MAD.
8 attacks a round.

Would GWM's Bonus Action attacj add 1 or 2?

A hexblade using a greatsword at 17th lvl with thirsting blade and life drinker invocations, great weapon master and sustaining hex does 6d6+40=61 dpr, albeit at a -5 to hit penalty. Eldritch blast at the same level while also sustaining hex does 4d10+4d6+20= 56 dpr with no penalty to hit. However, you can also close the gap with greatsword even more once you start factoring in enchanted weapons

One, Action Surge doesn;t give you an extra bonus action afaik

>class core-mechanic
>is only available to one archetype

GWM Lucky Polearm Master at level 6.

Have things changed, or is the December UA still scheduled for next Tuesday?

Anyone got any wishes for what it might have?

A spell that's seriously over-scaled damage-wise in terms of the spell-slot it uses, and one which could do with some more competitive/viable alternatives.

But that really has nothing to do with Gishing.

But you can forgo advantage on 1 attack to make 1 extra attack, so you could end up with 8 attacks with advantage + 2 non advantage attacks.

>21 AC

How? Full Plate+Shield is 20 AC.

I don't like greenflame blade and booming blade on eldritch knights or arcane tricksters. They're a pretty significant buff to those two subclasses that were already perfectly fine with no drawbacks.

Throw these cantrips in the trash.

Armoured Style my dude. Not the most optimal choiuce, but the most flexible in changing up your weapons.

Defensive fighting style

They're trash on EKs for sure, but are pretty good for classes that hit things but don't get extra attacks.

>Anyone got any wishes for what it might have?
I wish we could get more Maneuvers, Elemental Evil inclusive abilities for Wot4E Monk (as well as more Elemental Disciplines in general), more Arcane Shots, and more Metamagics. Wizards and Warlocks have had it too good for too long, give us some other options, especially martial ones.

Reminder that casting Booming Blade uses your action, and thus Fighters like Eldritch Knight lose their extra attacks (because they didn't take the attack action, they casted the spell).

The real problem is that classes like Rogue have absolutely NO reason to not spam it every single time they attack because there's absolutely no tradeoffs or downsides for them.

Well yeah that's why there's that whole feature of EK that lets you attack as a bonus action when you cast a cantrip/spell

War magic makes those cantrips straight better than attacking for EKs for levels 7-10. Not forever but still pretty significant.

>premade a dozen unique charathers while writing their backstories and planning out their futures
>Will never get to play out their adventures because friends can't into dnd and impoaaible to find online group
Please help Veeky Forums convince me not to pull the trigger

It's not impossible to find an online group, you just need to lower your standards if you care that much about playing these ideas

Do you go to university? Do you have any game stores nearby? They often have groups that play, and if you can present yourself well enough/express interest in hosting/running once in a while, I'm sure you can find a group.

Wait for ai advanced enough to run D&D for us no group misfits?

I wonder how advanced we could to a text adveture now adays.

How is there still no good way for lonely friendless nerds to play D&D?

Your ideas will never be executed the way you want them to. Influences from other players will always twist and mutate your ideas.
Keep them pure, user. Write them a story on your own.

What's a good weapon to find on a long-dead paladin of Bahamut? Swords seem a bit played out.

Every online group on Roll20 aren’t even running campaigns.

Halberd shaped like a dragon’s tail.

Stole the Runes from Warhammer fantasy for my party. They got really excited when I told them about the Master Rune of Flight.

How long should I have the return trip be for a thrown weapon? Within a round? End of next round?

A blowgun with 5 barrels you can fire simultaneously.

Bonus points if he plays it like a pan flute aswell.

Fossilized dragon dick used as a club.

Not everyone has 40 Str, Havel.

I actually just got a really dope idea, tell me if it's broken:

>A slender spear, chased in gold that appears to glow as if illuminated by the sun, even in the dark.
>+1 Spear.
>As an action, the bearer may plant the spear in the ground. While planted, the spear emits bright sunlight in a 15 foot radius, and dim light for 15 more feet. Any evil creature that begins its turn in the bright light takes 3 radiant damage: the weapon can inflict 30 damage in this manner before the light fades.
>When bathed in the light of sunrise, the spear recharges.

Whatever it is, give it an extremely good ability that only activates for a minute at a time when you shout "I LOVE DICK" as loud as possible.

A warhammer in the shape of a dragon's head. Has a command word that causes a gout of flame, frost or whatever breath weapon type to erupt from it's maw once per long rest/next dawn (or longer depending on your prefs). Doesn't do as much damage as a dragon's breath weapon, but still useful. Can also have it do additional damage of that element.

It's just power creep over time, it's happened to basically every class in the game as people got better at min-maxing this particular system.

Compare your games now to your games when 5e first came out, I can guarantee the damage scale has risen, regardless of what classes the players are playing.

What if the wielder is a woman lovingly married to a man named Richard?

That's who the weapon was originally made for. New users just have to deal.

>alignment mechanics
>in 5e
Can't say I like it. I would change it to "Undead and Fiends," but that's just me. Other than that, it's not really broken, and in fact quite bad (if not flavorful).

A whole action to set up such a weak effect is pretty brutal, unless you can find a way to set it up as a trap maybe (but it does shed bright light).

That's what I meant to imply, I forgot for a second about enemy types. It's basically meant to only hurt "EVIL" stuff like chromatic dragons, undead, fiends, etc.

What about it makes it underpowered? I should add that the party will probably find it at level 1, and will be fighting kobolds right after (sunlight gives them disadvantage).

Would increased damage/increased range make it more useful? Or setup as a bonus action?

You are correct. In fact you are only limited to one bonus action per round (and technically you don't have a bonus action at all if you don't have any bonus action abilities, not that it matters)

You can't use a standard action in place of a bonus action for that matter even if logic would dictate otherwise.

This affects a lot of spells actually if you follow the casting rules properly.

Consider a 1st level spell like burning hands: also has a 15 foot range, 10.5 damage on average.

At level 1 this effect wouldn't be that bad even as an action if it was somewhat stronger. Wouldn't take long for it to become obsolete, but the +1 would still be good anyway.

Boom weeb again. So with meteor being the closest to casting 4 C4s, which caster would do it better?
Evo Wizards can make it cost less equals twice the usage right that's how math works right?
Sorcerror could use the boons to disadvantage to saves but that's all I can think of without looking at the book.
Or is there another level 9 spell I should be looking at?

They fall in a well out of town. All of them for different reasons, but down the bottom it's a big open cave with slippery walls, but a small doorway that leads to a dungeon.

They have to go through a small dungeon full of sentient rats to try and find an exit, catch is there's no exit that way and they're going to have to wait for someone to come along and throw a rope down anyway.

How about this: change the range to 20/40 radius, and switch it to a bonus action? At the end of the day its still a +1 weapon which is pretty handy regardless, especially at level 1. The real kicker for it is that they're going to have the opportunity to find it right before they fight a kobold boss: the 20 feet of sunlight is going to provide a big advantage considering they have sunlight sensitivity.

I was going to hand it out beside an item that has 4 charges of "use an action restore 1d4hp with a touch" that recharges at the beginning of the day.

It's a party of 6 newbies, so the second item is mostly to give them a bit of a cushion/out of combat healing.

Can anyone use a wand of healing or can only magic people know how to milk the wand?

Remember how in 3.5 it was assumed that you could just buy whatever magic item you wanted, and eventually the cost of wands of cure light wounds eventually became negligible, and you could just spam them after every fight to always be at full health?

Or was that just my group?

The dragon pendant would ideally be claimed by whoever decides to go with cleric/paladin, but no, it's probably going to be non-attunement, any good-spirited characters will be able to use it (not good-aligned, rather, just a generally good person).

Depends on the item description specifically saying it needs to be wielded by a spellcaster or a specific class. Otherwise anyone could theoretically use it, similar to a wand of magic missiles having no requirements so something like a rogue could use it. GM could impose an arcana check to see if they work it right though if they want to make it a bit more difficult.

>Roll arcana to see if the safety switch on the wand is off

Even before the cost became totally negligible at 15 GP per charge, they were affordable enough to be worth it for such a purpose.

Booming blade is loud, since thunder. Sneaking and kabooming feels kinda strange

Check LFG in 5eg discord, check fanasygrounds

Supposedly 5th ed is balanced around the same idea. That parties will begin combats at full health.

There's a 5eg discord?

This.

God, why is Scanlan such an insufferable randumb trash character, it’s like he remembered he’s supposed to be a gnome so everything he does is meta-humor and references with a dash of sexual innuendo.

And fucking Vax and Percy are so similar in talking styles I can’t pick either of them apart, though I hardly see why I need to when both of them amount to “damaged sociopaths who looooove to fondle their intellect in front of other people.”

discord.me/5eg

Literally the only good character on that show is Grog.

TAZ is by far the better D&D media production

So far this is probably the best homebrew Artificer class I have seen. It has a Flying Sentient Mechsuits if you're interested.

>Vex is always ogling Grog and flashes her tits at him on more than two occasions
>She goes with Percy

I don’t get it. Like, I don’t care, but I don’t get it.

We don't talk about it.

If I play a bladelock and sit in my darkness bubble, do I gain any advantages against saving hostile saving throws such as blight or fireball?

Rolled 5, 2, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 2, 5, 6, 3, 6 = 52 (12d6)

rollan thread?

6+2d6 6 times in order

>13 Str
>17 Dex
>14 Con
>12 Int
>17 Wis
>15 Cha

That's a monk if i ever saw one.
Top it up with Wood elf as Race and break the game at early levels.

Giant sized Kobold.

Rolled 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 6, 3, 3 + 10 = 37 (8d6 + 10)

Seem like 2 greatsword attack with no crit. Look like op forgot to roll for them.

nope.

Can someone explain the appeal of TAZ to me? It it just for people who don't care about rules or does it take a while to actually get good? I see this shit all the time and while it's funny, the fact that they don't care about the game at all ruins any immersion or hope of a good story. I'm on episode 20 so do I need to keep going or is it just not for me?

RAW does DM or player decide for the animals in Conjure Animals?

DM.`

They let the rules take a backseat to the fun. It's very indicative of what happens when people who are good at telling a story and keeping a good conversational flow play D&D for the first time, while being aware that rules are secondary to fun.

It's definitely frustrating sometimes to see them ignore or misunderstand the rules, but I think the flow of the adventure more than makes up for it.

That final boss fight where they all go down and keep missing because they all forgot that the big bad was blinded really steamed my bsicuits though.

Guess i'll have to convince the DM to give me
8 Giant Badgers

Canyou attune to a magic item you aren't proficient and use it's properties

astranauta.github.io/spells.html#conjure animals_phb

I don't know where it says the DM decides. It say's that you choose which option you get from the CR choices... In my recent group, my player picked her animal off of one of the animal charts in the druid class section of Xanathar's guide.

Party ended up in a FUBAR situation in a goblin-infested cave, lost 3/5 the members, 2 (NPC and barbarian) of which were still rolling death saves when the survivors fled.
What to do? Let the barbarian decide if he wants to roll a new character/character is captured?

I'm thinking that, if he does want his barbarian to survive, he should roll a new character just so he'll have something to play while his character is carted around as a slave for a session or two until they find him.

I would say so, but you still get the penalties for not being proficient with said item. Eg, cant add proficiency bonus to attacks made with a magic sword, cant cast spells if youre wearing magic plate.

Let them reroll, but I'd do a solo session or emails/IMs with the barb and figure out what happened with him. Either he can stick with the barb, or he can make a new character with the rest of the group.

If the barb makes a new character, you can have the barb become the old, injured NPC that sends the new party back into the dungeon to get the bodies (and the loot) of his dead friends.

You get to reuse the same dungeon d00d. And your players will love it.