EDH/Commander General /edhg/

"OG Legends" Edition

Previous: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Who's the oldest commander you run?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-09-17-fly-me-to-the-moon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm really glad I bought my Gwendolyn years ago for like 5 dollars before you fags and investors drove the price up

I just wish we had a remake of the more popular legends. With adjusted p/t, mana cost and abilities to match nowadays powerlevel.
Angus, Hazezon, Gwendlyn, Rasputin, Tetsuo, Evangela, Xira Arien, and maybe a rerun of the OG Elder Dragons.

Gwen and angus are both already solid commanders. Its just reserved list shenanigans driving up the price. I doubt they'll print a random discard commander, they don't seem to like random discard much anymore. But another fog commander would be neato, and they definitely can't redo the elder dragons because bolas is already the big deal planeswalker. A multicolored planeswalker commander set with each of the elder dragons would be super cool though, but then it'd break the lore since the other ones are dead

An updated Gwen would be more like 2UBR for a 3/5; 2B, T to Thoughtseize at sorcery speed, or possibly tap with no mana to force a nonrandom discard (still sorcery). She'd also probably have some pointless keywords.

I don't think everything has to be released in sequential order. For example, they made the commander decks with the planeswalker commanders a few years ago, and some were dead or transformed. That doesn't retcon canon or bring anyone back to life. They can totally do elder dragons just fine.

Who's your favorite mtgo player for commander Veeky Forums?
Mine's is Brian Weissman and Nathaniel Prawdzik, with jolt539 closely following.

I've been messing with Nebuchadnezzar lately. And by that I mean theorycrafting builds because there's no group to play with nearby.

Rasputin Dreamweaver Secretly Eldrazi Displacer.

Why did they name a magic card after a Babylonian king?

Legends also had a card named for a Russian priest (Rasputin) and a card named for an oasis (Hazezon Tamar).

It'd be disappointing no matter what. Random discard is just one of those old remnants that can be fun to do to people.

I guess so. It'd be super cool to see, all the elder dragons getting a revamp in commander form would make for a neat set.

Legends was a weird period in time.

>the other ones are dead
For products like commander, it doesn't matter. We got the commander planeswalkers and they were pretty much fine.

We could get a rerun of the commander planeswalkers with the Elder Dragons, and they could all turn into 7/7 creatures for that spicy og edh theme.

Only Bolas is a walker.

I haven't had a chance to utilize random discard, yet, but it sounds like a fantastic tilt engine. Especially when I stack it to happen rvery upkrep after ny opponent's already pitched his less desirable cards so it'll be a more guaranteed rib shot.

I'm thinking about building discard-centric stax, with reanimator and flashback subthemes. What would be a good commander?

Single legitimately cool OG Legend coming through

Nath, maybe?

Wait, what? If they are not planeswalkers, how did they make a multiplanar war? Only Bolas was walking around, or did they had other forms of traversing through planes without planeswalker sparks?

Maybe. I was hoping to have access to white and/or red (white for Sun Titan and Unburial Rites, red for flashback shenanigans).

Karador then

Nath helps strip hands, Scarab God lets you pillage what people discard. Green has the better reanimation targets (Other than Jin "The Chin" Gitaxias) but blue has the better flashback support.

Liliana, Heretical Healer.

Karador might be good, but it'll paint a huge target on my head.

Just realized that Nath also produces bodies to make my other stax effects more asymmetrical. Scarab God might be fun, but if I were to spend that much on one card, it wouldn't be for a game I only play casually like MtG.

Gerrard had some of the best lines for flavor text. And yeah, some people get super pissy over it. Its really hilarious to play a wheel and then make some poor guy discard half of the new cards at random

Too bad he sucks.

>doesn't know what blink effects and a sac outlet are

You suck.

Throw out a couple of token doublers, maybe an anthem, and some basic land ramp, then I can see it being a pretty viable deck with a reasonable curve. You could probably run creatureless if you're slick about it.

If you want red and white access, and for it to be discard centric, necessitating black, you'd probably want Alesha or Tariel.

Is there any point at all to this card as a general? What kind of effect is "Creature can't block"?

Nigga shut your whore mouth

Rasputin Dreamweaver is the single coolest Legends legend. You haven't live 'till you resolved an Eldrazi Displacer with it.

Tariel looks fun. I'm also considering Malfegor or Shattergang.

Personally, I have an Pia and Kiran Nalaar deck, and as such, I would never run just Pia. She's way too weak, especially in comparaison to Mom&Dad

The other Elder Dragons didn't have sparks, but they were able to walk between planes. They'd still be creatures, just like Marit Lage, the Titans, and Night's Reach.

You don't need a spark to travel between planes, it's just incredibly difficult. See: Marit Lage, Eldrazi, the Weatherlight, Phyrexia.

>playgroup has split up to people who complain about running effective answers and people who just want to play fun cards
>All the players who always start every game with t1 sol ring arent in my group
>we just banned all of unset in our group
Its already looking like an edh renaissance for my group, what deck should I build now that I dont need to worry about turn 3 karn or getting grief for playing corrupted conscience.

Bruna.

Nath hands down. Land a good smokestack turn 3/4, then Nath Turn 4/5. It's the nastiest 1-2 combo - people think they can hold up things to avoid the stack, but Nath and Bottomless pit attack them from the other half. It's really effective.

>Doesn't want to spend much cash
>Wants a stax deck
The package isn't that expensive but the support to keep it running really is

I'm liking the sound of it. Plus, green will get me cheap token production, and G/B gives me access to a dredge engine if I want to mess with that, and I could run Scavenge creatures to buff Nath up.

Aside from Bitterblossom (and possibly Life from the Loam), what are you talking about?

I'm full aware of what he's capable of and it's not anything notable.

He curves too high for his shenanigans and Marath does what he wants to do but better. Yeah I suppose he's alright if you set up this board state unimpeded and your group lets you goldfish to blinking him repeatedly and swinging unharrassed. A 7 mana combo piece is less than stellar.

That said he's a fun card. Ran him for a bit and he's spicy with cards that grant changeling to creatures.

Why do you fuckers always pick a super old useless commander card for thread image?

You think it's cool? It looks disgusting.

We've seen Abzan characters in spin-off products and we saw an alternate reality Zurgo, but I want to see a Dragons of Tarkir version of Alesha.

C'mon, Wizards, every trans player will buy her if you print it, just print something that isn't so boring. Make her Temur in this new reality. Or Abzan, since you like it so much.

where does this tranny alesha meme come from?

Because the character is literally transgender?
You people are dumbasses.

Aint no meme brother

Alesha existed in the past, before the split. It either died in the dragon's conquest or lived to be a subservient little bitch like zurgo.

True, true, I forgot there were others who walked through planes without sparks. Actually, there are quite a number of ways of doing so now that you guys gave some examples.

Now I'm not so sure about a revisit of the Elder Dragons, I would love that, but having only bolas as a walker wouldn't look good.

>It

Was it the past? Oh right, Fate Reforged was the middle one. Still, give me an alternate version or something, "attack 2 reanimate" for weenies isn't my idea of a fun commander.

Five decks with Planeswalker commanders

Well thats a thing. If I ever saw another tranny running it I'll be so embarrassed though desu

They could just say its a timeshifted thing and have Bolas before he was a planeswalker

Males are only allowed to be girls if they look like this. Otherwise they are "it."

You really are dumb. Alt Surrak and alt Sidisi are also good commanders.

It isn't a meme. I thought it was a meme, considering how edgy is the character.

You're still gay.

>ftv huntmaster is twice the price of the og huntmaster
Goddamn it. I should have bought it when it was cheaper.

Only in your third world country. Here it's only $2 higher on average.

Any recommendations for a fun deck that wouldn't be mechanically similar to any of my current lineup (pic related)?

>Simic goodstuff

end your life

best commander 10/10 would elder dragon again!!!1!!

Patron of the Moon landfuckery
Phenax reanimator

I second this suggestion: patron of the moon is hilarious and fun

Tutors run a steep price, and there's gonna be a lot of times where you want them.

>simic
>trash in legacy
>trash in modern
>trash in standard
>actually pretty solid in edh

but user, this is literally the format for simic

just build gishath jank if you want to have a good time

>trash in Modern
>Simic merfolk

Fair enough. I'm hoping grave recursion can provide a somewhat similar effect.

Now that I learned there is more then the just one killbot, I am excited to try to make a mary deck.

>favorite MTG and EDH colors are U/G
>have 3 decks
>Grixis, Jund, Mardu

am I idiot?

Simic (and mono-U) Merfolk are both meta-dependent tier two decks. I wouldn't say it's trash, but it's fairly niche in a very wide format. Maybe Rivals will change that, or potentially even make them decent in standard, but that's a topic for another thread.

t. modern merfolk player

How many of the janky Moonfolk are actually worth running in that? I could definitely see shit like Sunder and Storm Cauldron being great in that though.

Simic is for the weak minded. You're okay, user

>best ramp
>best card draw
>literally the two best feelings you can have in a game of magic

no user, it's for the strong minded.

I'm thinking about a mono color deck. Either JVP, Vorinclex, Rishkar or Krenko.

Hedonists out. This is a format for cynics.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-09-17-fly-me-to-the-moon/

>When Josh-Lee Kwai says "howzit!"

>literally the two best feelings you can have in a game of magic
But, user, how can everyone else have fun if you're having fun?

Legacy bug junk is pretty good desu

hes not even the cute one.

Also their past two episodes 0/10. Real made with the commandknights not being a commander game.

Do we know what mechanical variance there is between them?

I actually ran this card as a commander a long time ago.

Stopped silly combos for days.

Jimmy is a racist faggot who can go eat a bag of dicks.

pretty sure they are exactly the same.

2/1 vanilla just with different names, but I have only seen the one variant.

I just put together a Malfegor deck with that theme. It's going to be bad

Is this guy any good? I want to build a deck but it seems to me it's just "cast a 5 colored spell, then cast a few more for free".

Any suggestions? I don't really know where to start, and I don't have money for fetch/shocklands so I don't know if I should just abandon him.

hes ridiculously good.

Artifact commander with a colorless casting cost means he can be out much sooner then his (6) suggest, 5-color, combos, can generate infinite mana.

The gameplan of every deck I have seen is to combo out and cast something with the 10 mana.

Hardened Scales/Doubling Season/Primal Vigor/Corpsejack
Charms
Storm combos
Flicker effects
Reuseable bounce effects

>spend 10 minutes on your turn drawing cards and doing a million triggers, effects
>dont win
>mfw my friends get upset

You can use him for just about any strategy-

5c goodstuff, counters, superfriends, control, 'charms', 'cycles', etc.

He's super good.

>Gruul player spends 10 minutes making tokens and ramping without killing anyone
>Everyone else enjoys it
>Monored player spends 10 minutes wheeling and burning people without finishing anyone off
>Everyone else enjoys it
>Simic player spends 5 minutes comboing to gain advantage or take advantage of mechanics/interactions they like
>Everyone calls their deck cancer

Post a more forgettable Planeswalker

Thank you so fucking much me casting DN is the same shit as idiot casting RDR sine its not like any of you run wraths

Domri

Who?

same with walker Xnagos i only think of his god card

He's good but boring if you build 5c spellslinger storm combos.
He's fun but shit if you build charms/multicolor matters.

Walker Xenagos can at least do silly ramp with his +1.

>Draw a girl
>Call it a boy

Fetish artists sometimes make no sense.

How do they run? Seems underwhelming.

Fuck off, the art is good.