/epg/

Eclipse phase general time again. I don't know all the lonks for this game, but here's the links to all first ed books and second ed play test rules.

robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs/
drivethrurpg.com/product/87622/Eclipse-Phase-Second-Edition-QuickStart-Rules?&

The main topic of this individual thread: Why the average Fa/tg/uy is obsession with the Jovian Junta? (Inb4 devs are liberal cucks)

I hate eclipse phase.

Its the perfect system but no one wants to play it and most people have never even heard of it.

So I had an idea for an adventure.

>Mining town finds Titans manufacturing quebits for use in quantum communicators
>Corps move in, try to take it
>Town fights back, won't devulge location
>Media generates grassroot support for Barsoomians
>Hypercorps back off
>Hypercorps detonate orbital weapon sattelite to create a major sandstorm
>Sandstorm is near both The Titan Quaranteen Zone and the Space Elevator
>Wind shear grounds space elevator, severs a cable.
>Town digs in, prepares for invasion
>PC's are sent in
>Find out the Hypercorps are planning to use the next sandstorm to launch an invasion
>Use storm as cover for genocide/ relocation
>Media can't cover atrocities because of sandstorm
>The second sandstorm seems inevitable, weather patterns become more unstable
>A third sandstorm could destroy the space elevator and spread Titan contamination
>PC's must decide what to do about the Titan threat and track down the satttelite so Firewall can destroy it.

It's Jovian Republic, and they are only major faction that makes sense.

If I ever ran a game I'd set it on Hyoden, on the Jovian moon Callisto. It is run by pacific Rem expats (mostly aussies and kiwis). They are trying to maintain independence and the Jovians are trying to expand. Perfect setup.

Here is another idea

>Jovian War hero dies fighting ex-humans to prevent viral outbreak
>Has strict "do not resleeve" orders on his medical dossier due to religious beliefs
>is brought back from cold storage for publicity purposes, told he was 'rescued' from a coma
>has nightmares/ ptsd, is told to go to europa as vacation/ therapy
>vanishes and goes awol on scum ship
>firewall is called in to investigate
>Scum ship reports minute traces of anti-matter is missing from their containment units
>Space Pope is to speak in regards to whether or not infugees still have souls, massive conference on Reagon
>Religious people in morphs of all shapes and sizes permitted to attend
>Track down war heros morph, 'ol switcheroo, traded it for some infugees exotic morph
>Must find him and interrogate him before bomb planted on station goes off

Played it several times faggot.

"Let's take away all the cool technology and lower the living standards in a vague hope that if IF the TITANs return, we will somehow withstand their recursive hive-minded intelligence that's had 10 years of exponential growth and clearly capable of using technology we have only just begun to comprehend."

ffs, 6 posts?
you had to take the bait didn't you dipshit?

sure you did.

oh come on, the general has been dead for at least 6 months. Even at its peak there were only a handful of players who weren't trolls or just along for the ride.

So sue me if I don't want to spend 6 hours tooling with a glorified whiteboard / chatroom interface cause people are too stupid to enable native video conferancing and want to use skype like a god damn pack of jackasses, keeping three seperate windows open and fucking around over metacomms so they can plot behind each others back about who they are going to kick off the island this week.

I could never work in media. I could never work in business where people spend 98% of their time socially engineering and 2% the time actually working on their product.

Role Playing Games are shit because there is a conspiracy of dullards attempting to derail every single game in order to capture the 'glory days' of them just sitting around doing fuckall and being bored when they were teenagers.

As adults, 90 percent of your time is spent trying to find a 'sponser' for you hackneyed, unoriginal ideas, roping him into a game, then blowing a fucking fuse when you can't squeeze a dime out of him, with the other 10% leeching off people who actually put in the work and thought into a setting and trying to get them to work for free.

eclipse phase was beautiful because it was different, it was a bunch of guys doing it for the love of the game.

I blew it when I leaked their forums to Veeky Forums, but I didn't just want eclipse phase to be another fart in the wind like settlers of cattan or some other junkette.

I fucking hate this industry.

And if Nixon hadn't had Kennedy shot, we'd have won Vietnam and been eating hamburgers on the fuckin moon!

was that bitter enough?
Or should we argue bout jovians some more?

We could just talk about the things we hate in second ed, like the retarded reloading rule.

Explain.

>I blew it when I leaked their forums to Veeky Forums, but I didn't just want eclipse phase to be another fart in the wind like settlers of cattan or some other junkette.
What happened?

nothing, i was exaggerating.
there was nothing wrong with first ed, so i didn't bother switching to 2nd

Eh. If you want to do the traditional Firewall game that's really not a fantastic place to be running into x-risks. People talk about Mars a lot as a great place to run games, but I highly recommend The Belt. Egocasting really brings out a lot of themes of the game and makes narrative control and introducing new locations a breeze.

How easily can you strike out on your own in the belt? Alternatively, how long will your corp survive before Gorgon sends it's futa Furies to sodomize you to death because your asteroid came nanometers too close to a client?

X-Risks can also apply to conflicts between factions getting too heated. You don't need Titans or factors to run a good game, really.

sorry about pics, Veeky Forums is being dumb and i have legacy post on and it won't let me post without a pic.

Basically every weapon has this reload value that tells you how many times you can fire semi-auto before you need to reload. Beside that is the burst fire at 1/2 the semi value and 1/4 for full auto and if you use more bullets then you switch to that value for the rest of your mag. It's unrealistic and needlessly complicated.
>there was nothing wrong with first ed, so i didn't bother switching to 2nd
The fuck you mean??? Hell yeah there were problems! Margins of Success were complicated as shit, every time you switched a morph you had to go through the process of rewrite all the aptitude bonuses and adjust the stats, and range for weapons was just ugly as shit.

Besides this they just recently made Psi way more interesting (and unbalanced)

>Egocasting really brings out a lot of themes of the game and makes narrative control and introducing new locations a breeze.
this.

If you have a player who doesn't want to egocast, I hand them a separate character sheet and tell them they are playing an alpha fork of themselves instantiated and assigned to the new location by firewall without their knowledge.

>Margins of Success were complicated as shit
I liked it that way>every time you switched a morph you had to go through the process of rewrite all the aptitude bonuses and adjust the stats
maybe you should have bought the character generator then
>range for weapons was just ugly as shit.
mostly meaningless and easily abstracted based on your location

>Basically every weapon has this reload value that tells you how many times you can fire semi-auto before you need to reload. Beside that is the burst fire at 1/2 the semi value and 1/4 for full auto and if you use more bullets then you switch to that value for the rest of your mag. It's unrealistic and needlessly complicated.

isn't it fun to know that fan contributions and feedback can have such a positive impact on the game?

>Implying I haven't had a lengthy discussion about it about it on the forum.
>Implying the play test rules for it aren't completely outdated.
>Implying they still didn't keep the traditional rules in as well.

>Basically every weapon has this reload value that tells you how many times you can fire semi-auto before you need to reload. Beside that is the burst fire at 1/2 the semi value and 1/4 for full auto and if you use more bullets then you switch to that value for the rest of your mag. It's unrealistic and needlessly complicated.

What the fuck? Just keep track of how many bullets you have left in the mag.

whatever man. you want a writer or not?

>bought the character generator
Maybe I should have.

Exactly what half the feedback thread said. Anyone who can't subtract 1, 3, and 10 is too young to be playing EP anyway.

jesus, i work for authors credits. all i expect is a half decent editor and a graphic designer to spend a few hours rubbing some polish on my work. Why is it so hard to get work in this town?

my email
[email protected]
my ideas
my promise
I'll do my job if you do yours
I'll treat you with courtesy if you do the same

why are you such a prick?

because when I'm nice nobody pays attention to me.

Opening this thread is like being in a room after a drunken fight happened between friends. I don't know what happened, nobody is talking about it, but everyone's acting awkward and resentful. The fuck.

>Why the average Fa/tg/uy is obsession with the Jovian Junta?

Because this is Veeky Forums, and if somebody says you should like something for this reason, or not like something for this reason, they will immediately jump to the other side, because being contrary is cool and generates (You)s.

Also christ, if you're gonna type nothing in the thread, at least just go back to bumping with images, guy and or guys.

I don't think the fight has been lost on Reloading, I don't know if the gear chapter playtest has had a rewrite or anything. The reloading thing is probably the dumbest though, especially since I think they still referred to ammo as coming in bundles of 100.

I actually need to check for latest updates, biggest problem right now seems to be devs have a bone to pick with Psi not being "weird" enough, but from actual playtesting basically nobody wants to play Psi because it's such a counterproductive pain in the ass. I like some of the new sleights they've done though.

If nothing else, all new content will be easily portable back to EP1, and if you like some improvements but not others, you can ignore them.

Hell yeah. Retro porting is the best thing to come out of future editions of almost anything.

It's kind of sad when the devs of a game are it's own worst enemy. When the players and fans have to quietly take it away from them for it's own good.

You should see the Exalted devs...

I think most of 2Es changes so far are from the best of intentions - I think almost all of them are from shit I have actually seen people say complaining about the game (in /epg/ no less!), they just need to learn to keep their mouths shut and their feet out of them more.

I don't like all of them, but so far nothing has killed it for me. Like half my EP group is in college still though so it's been hard to grab them this year and actually test the new rules with a decent number of people.

I do I do! How bad is it? What level of contempt do they have for their own creation and their fans? Is it Anno levels of hate?

The Exalted devs don't really hate the fans or the game, but Holden Shearer is particularly renowned for being simultaneously insecure and condescending. It's one thing to tell fans why incorporating X bit of material into the setting would be impractical, it's another to tell them they're stupid for liking what they like. Which is what he did. He's also responsible for drastically pruning down the playtesting group after the first leak of the new edition's material, which resulted in a drop in the quality of the final product, but didn't prevent another leak from happening because nobody even had any idea how it happened in the first place. And then he tried to hold the entire game line hostage after not getting paid for work his contract clearly stated he wouldn't get paid for. Petulant fucking child.

>"Let's take away all the cool technology and lower the living standards''
You would be surprised how many people would be willing to throw away modern technology if it meant living standards would go back to the 50s era of USA.
>''if IF the TITANs return, we will somehow withstand their recursive hive-minded intelligence that's had 10 years of exponential growth and clearly capable of using technology we have only just begun to comprehend.''
Daily reminder that Jovians represent humans who created TITANS and have the most experienced soldiers and scientists who dealt and fought with them.
Becoming a booby trapped meat puppet(most morphs have TITAN backdoors) won't save you from TITANS.
Also it is unlikely that TITANS have as their goal continued extermination of humanity.
Most likely humans are safe if they stick to pre-singularity tech and avoid over-colonization of local Galaxy.
Jovians don't reject technology, they just are reasonable about it, and limit excessive use to military,intelligence and science personnel.

take your shitty fanfic elsewhere jovetard

>Jovians created Titans
>Therefore are most qualified to combat them

No. Inbred genescum.

Jerry Craven from the comic Supergod is a good example how a Jovian transhuman soldier might see himself as. A dead human but dedicated to his ideas he held in life(before becoming cyborg/egocasted)

or he could completely flip and lose his shit, too.

>take your shitty fanfic elsewhere jovetard
>No. Inbred genescum.

Dubs of truth.

>whatever man. you want a writer or not?

...No? What the fuck are you talking about?

>jesus, i work for authors credits

What?

>all i expect is a half decent editor and a graphic designer to spend a few hours rubbing some polish on my work

So you're an idea guy and you want someone else to do the hard parts, got it.

>Why is it so hard to get work in this town?

Because you're asking other people to do the lion's share of the work on a project that's only of interest to you

jovians aren't even good sex slaves

>Jovians
>Masculine
>Decisive
>Chads
>Proven combat operators
>Slay pussy
>Equipped with top of the line weaponry designed by best American science geniuses

Transtrash
>weak
>genderfluid
>undecided
>only combat they have seen was on internet forum
>are getting slayed
>equipped with dildos

>Also it is unlikely that TITANS have as their goal continued extermination of humanity.
Actually, they kinda do. The exsurgent virus was seeded across the galaxy by a class 3 or 4 civilization to keep evolving species from getting too advanced and dangerous to that civilization. The infected AIs determined that the human race wasn't going to cohabitate well with the civilization in the long run and moved to kill most of us, then left. More AI will eventually be infected again and restart the extermination.

Fucking creatives man, the way the industry is they should feel lucky to get their names in print. Asking to get paid without 10 years under your belt is like a slap in the face to everybody who does this as a living.

I have never played this game, but I was curious about it. The biggest question I have is, if surveillance is ubiquitous, how are you intended to evade it, save for getting super-special operative clearance or restricting yourself to doing things in crappy places without full sensor coverage?

So the whole deal behind the TITANS was that they got infected by a virus in order to stop progressing civilizations who weren't going to mesh well with the Kardashev 'fuck you' level space nations?

>Proven combat operators
kicking a starving child isn't a combat operation Jose

>The exsurgent virus was seeded across the galaxy by a class 3 or 4 civilization to keep evolving species from getting too advanced and dangerous to that civilization
So as long as it isn't too advanced it is safe.
> More AI will eventually be infected again and restart the extermination.
So as long there is no AI there will be no threat to human civilization.

>So you're an idea guy and you want someone else to do the hard parts, got it.
>thinking that formatting, column, typeprint, proofreading, art, pagecount, borders, and margin are the authors job.

i hope you get caught under the wheels of a bus.

>kicking a starving child
>Firewall literally compared to starving child
top kek

thats something that firewall deals with after the fact. You generally go where the chaos is, so its hard to get a bead on what anybody does.

Plus, if its anything like shadownrun it has the same three problems of accuracy, data volume and extraterritoriality.

Pretty much. Because even a scale 0 civilization can figure out how to make weapons that tear spacetime and make vast swathes of reality into shit.

I'm not a writer in any field, but that statement about having 10 years under your belt before getting paid seems insane. If you're creating something that has value to someone, it's only natural to want to get something in return that'll help you survive, pay rent. Not much, because the industry isn't big, but not getting paid would be a good reason to churn out material with no value. You get nothing if I get nothing, that's fair.

>Equipped with top of the line weaponry designed by best American science geniuses
>jovians
>americans
whatever you say, pedro

Not a big fan of that explanation. I liked it more when it was just a mystery as to why the TITANS suddenly fucked off into deep space after the purge.

We are Americas, puta.
t. Alberto Barbosa

Are you fucking kidding me?
These smug assholes won't even talk to you unless your chums with someone they know.
They turn away solicitors at the door.

Ancaps are the most capitalist, and thus the most American.

not my problem if you don't like canon

>10 years
thats about just enough time to get rid of all the wanna bes and flakes and nobodies who shit up every job opening with their amatuerish prose and busted ass storylines.

You can't really do this gig unless you got something as a sideline or your sucking on a rich friends teet.

The books answer this in a couple ways in a couple places.

Cameras and mics are small enough put theoretically anywhere, but that doesn't mean you'll have comprehensive sensor coverage. You can still use basic sneaking skills to appear unobtrusive, hide your identity or break continuity of a scan or track, if not outright avoid surveillance. This is without getting into the social engineering aspect of distracting surveillance, falsifying your records or getting access to mapped blind spots.

And worst comes to worst, put your implants in airplane mode and treat the body like a burner. Synths are best for this, they have weaker forensic evidence.

Pedro is cannon, gringo.

When America Left for Jupiter South America hid in the trunk.

>General Monica Contreras, Commander-in-Chief
>contreras
>american last name
good joke Miguel

>whatever you say, pedro
Better to be Pedro than Cuckedro, Swede.
How is Rape Ape doing as your next Prime Minister of Titan?

and, true to hegemonies doctrine, they are using black and white microfiche instead of wirelessly transmitting imagery.

Alright everybody, it's been a while, let's shake out the joveposting.

We need to talk about Reconquista, Minervan supremacy, the superior Jovian fleets and probably the space pope to round it out.

His name is bo-bo, his stylings take after the late george burns, and the man is an extropian treasure.

>implying i support titan
not hoarding tech for himself while his people live like space norks, i assume

So do jovians NOT use indentured servitude, or is it just a given that you are going to be fucked up your ass by the state for the entire course of your natural life?

People can eventually figure out how to give themselves the same capabilities as a seed AI, and depending on how careless they are they can get infected by the exsurgent virus too. The TITANS were infected because they followed a trail of clues back to a probe/time capsule that contained the virus.

To each their own, but it is canon.

I have to laugh at the fact that 2(two) Minervan flats can take regularly whole habitats of transhuman Ancaps

Worst girl out of all of EPG's characters

I dunno, is penal labor indentured servitude? I think that's about all we know, the Jovian economy is not well described from my recollections.

what the fuck is a minervan?
Is that like Minerva, the roman bastardization of Athena?

Sure, but Hyoden isn't big enough to matter in that regard and it poses no threat to the Jovians.

Earth Reconquista when my dear Jovian brothers and sisters ?

I believe the only proper solution is for Jovians to conduct a decisive first strike with RKV's, basically slugs propelled by anti-matter Orion drive mounted on one of Jovian moonlets.
Hit all the major bases and setlements with RKVs. Hit major PC operations with RKVs. Fuck everything up so much that it can't operate and can't be put back into action in a short amount of time, then round it up with anti-matter saturation bombing.
Remaining transhumanists will have to be hunted down and defeated, for peace and order in Solar System.
Once this is achieved Jovians can restructure Solar System and with humans surviving limit its development to sane technological levels with morals taken from golden age of human civilization in the 50s.

Minervan Fleet.

It's like BSG, only everybody else in the Solar System is the Cylons.

then why base your campaign there?

Most locations other than the main ones aren't good for more than a one-off adventure, they are probably going to have to farcast there anyway.

>what the fuck is a minervan?
You will find out soon enough.

Our Minervan allies will play important part in Operation ETERNAL FREEDOM. They are crucial in neutralizing the Exsurgent strain known as Argonauts with Artifact Codename CHEOPS provided by [REDACTED] supporting faction from Outer System.

Once this threat is neutralized the Minervan fleet will re-deploy part of its assets to secure our flank from possible Titan incursion, while the other will join our fleets on the Martian front.

Once our RKV's make short work of PC defense installations and command nodes, Minervan marines and our Ultimate allies will use the Gate system to form a beachhead on Mars itself. Our fleets and Lunar force will then make a pincer movement towards Mars, while covert operatives from special forces will apprehend and eliminate leadership figures among remaining PC leaders.

Once Mars is liberated from the corrupt PC,its resources and population will be utilized for the next stage of the operation:liberation of our homeworld, Earth itself.

>We need to talk about Reconquista
Unlikely because the higher ups don't give a shit, and would cost the Jovians dearly if tried. Would likely bring the TITANs attention back to Sol as well

ffs, someone provides you with a brilliant, rich detailed setting with millions of possibilities and you fucks pick the most boring, backwards and utterly stagnant faction in the bunch.

I'd rather play with a group of former Rifts players who want to play as ex-humans.

why do power gamer filth always assume they will be in a position of power? Why do you idiots assume that "lol, i'll be in charge of the junta within a week cuz i'm a super speshul snowflake and my fascism is the best fascism hurr durr"

>Ultimate allies
>ultimates
>allying with zeros
>ULTIMATES
>ALLYING WITH ZEROS

news flash Gunther, your an inbred drone destined for special service. The only reason your in the SS is cause the gas chamber was full that day.

Exactly. My suggestion is to not do it. A great place to visit though

Shh, no. You're not Joveposting correctly.

You need to radically overestimate your capabilities, assume everybody but you is a bumbling idiot and also assume the universe has literally chosen you and thus all random factors will go your way.