media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:
How do you rule areas of obscuration? By RAW and RAI, or by logic?

I count the number of corners visible on grid. Also RAW.

RAW. Because Fuck the System!

I hope you're ready for two posts full of autism.
FOG CLOUD VERSUS ANTIMAGIC FIELD: THE WIZARD'S GUIDE

Barbarian features (Martial example)
Fog cloud/darkness/sleet storm (Let's just say fog cloud rather than include all of these) stops:
>Reckless attack
>Danger sense
>Berserker level 10
>Eagle level 3
>Wolf level 3
>Bear level 14
Antimagic field stops:
>Totem barbarian level 3 rituals
>Totem barbarian level 10
Caster features:
Fog cloud group stops:
>Holy shit I am not listing all of these. Many targetted spells cannot be cast, from hold person to disintegrate to fear, but spells such as fireball or forcecage don't give a damn.
Antimagic field stops:
>Basically all the non-martial abilities.
Following conclusion:
>Fog cloud is a great battleground neutralizer, and affects all monsters, casters and martials to an unreliable degree, and advantage/disadvantage neutralization is major effect. Antimagic field is heavily biased against casters.
Removing/countering fog cloud and antimagic field:
>Fog cloud group is concentration, technically immune to dispel magic. 1 hour duration. One action to cast.
>Fog cloud can be dispersed by wind spells / fast natural winds, darkness and sleet storm cannot be
>Fog cloud group is beaten by blindsight and tremorsense. Darkness also by devil's sight.
>Antimagic field is concentration, specifically immune to dispel magic. 1 hour duration. One action to cast.

Someone acticated my autism last thread, so for this example I'm using an EK with 16 strength and 14 int to start, assuming multiple targets.
Level 1-3:
BA average: 7.5, GFB average: 9.5
Level 4 with strength to 18:
BA average: 8.5, GFB average: 10.5
Level 5, you get multiattack and GFB damage goes up
BA average: 17, GFB average: 19.5
Level 6 with strength to 20:
BA average: 19, GFB average: 20.5
Level 7, you get war magic:
BA average: 19, GFB average: 30
Levels 8-10 with intelligence to 16
BA average: 19, GFB average: 31
Level 11 you get another attack, GFB damage goes up
BA average: 28.5, GFB average: 40
Levels 12-13 intelligence to 18
BA average: 28.5, GFB average: 41
Level 14-16 intelligence to 20
BA average: 28.5, GFB average: 42
Level 17-19 GFB damage goes up:
BA average: 28.5, GFB average: 51
Level 20 you get another attack:
BA average: 38, GFB average: 51

At literally every single level GFB will outdamage the attack action as long as you have more than one thing to swing at, with a good chunk of the damage having no attack roll or save.

Area of effect:
>20ft+20ft for every spell level upcast for fog cloud, 15ft radius and moves with you if you wish for darkness, 40ft for sleet storm. Functions even if one party is not inside the area.
>Anti-magic field is 10ft radius, stationary. Functions even if one party is not inside the area.
Spell level
>Fog cloud is level 1, can be upcast. Darkness is level 2. Sleet storm is level 3.
>Anti-magic field is level 8.
Other notes
>You may attempt to hide in the fog cloud group. Sleet storm imposes difficult terrain and fucks up concentration.
>Anti-magic field suppresses but does not dispel effects already in play, posing great potential utility such as for removing cursed items.
Conclusion:
>user concludes that these two spells should not be compared. Anti-magic field is much less accessible and its area can easily be avoided for buffs, or an enemy can sometimes be removed from its area. As such, it is mostly used in combat to ward yourself against magical effects. It serves good out of combat utility. The fog cloud group has only really stealth utility outside of combat, but in combat can affect the entire battlefield in a more dramatic way and they are much easier to cast and less of a deal to lose, and is applicable against more enemies. However, care must be taken to spot blindsight enemies.

I'm trying to make PotA span across the entire setting by placing the cult's temples at different parts of the nation. The haunted keeps are all still near each other, in a central location. How does this sound?

>Beyond each of the haunted keeps is a portal that requires a glyph to enter. Any creature marked with the symbol of the Elder Elemental Eye may pass through without this glyph.
>Adventurers must travel to each of the cult's temples. In a chamber within the temple, they will find an ancient rune venerating the cult's corresponding element.
>After passing a test, the adventurers may take some elemental magic from the rune.
>When the adventurers have obtained magic from all of the runes (visited each temple) they may use the magic to create a glyph to enter the portals found in the haunted keeps, taking them to the Fane of the Eye

Heavily obscured also stops opportunity attacks.
Darkness would also eat up puny light spells, but also includes Faerie Fire.

>Fog Cloud immune to dispel magic
Dispel magic doesn't even require sight.

>DMing through Tomb
>running through the Tomb of the Nine Gods right now
>currently at the Elemental Cell part

holy fuck this entire dungeon is massive and fun as fuck for the players. have only played through some of SKT and CoS but does OotA or PotA have anything that comes close to this in terms of dungeon design?

>Heavily obscured also stops opportunity attacks.
Fuck, I forgot about that one, it's a big one.
>Dispel magic doesn't even require sight.
I fucked up because I was thinking of specific anti-magic abilities. Dispel magic itself doesn't require line of sight, yes, I believe it was the beholder's dispel that required line of sight.

Logic that your group agrees on is always the best answer. It's what puts TTRPGs above all other forms of gaming for me.

It's hardly ever justifiable that a character not only finds a Patron out of the blue, but gains powers from that Patron only for them to never do anything for their patron and never expand on the powers given to them. It's like if someone sold you a wand that never loses charges for a great price, and then you never go back to that shop despite nothing going wrong with your amazing new wand. If DMs actually enforced the roleplay of finding and dealing with a Patron and then breaking ties once you got your 2 level dip, no one would ever go through the trouble.

I bring this up as a question as it's a very commonly misunderstood principle, and also rather illogical by rules of advantage/disadvantage.

Most people don't realize you aren't automatically hidden when you aren't seen, and they don't realize how it affects advantage/disadvantage is to make all attacks have neither advantage nor disadvantage in the area of effect.

But then it makes no sense. You're firing a longbow 600ft without sharpshooter, you're a halfling, you're prone and you're sucking someone's cock, but you have no disadvantage because your target is in an obscured area.

i want her to bite my neck and throw
me in lake zarovich

What's the best way to get fog cloud as a rogue? I'm thinking 2 level dip in conjuration or enchantment wizard.

Arcane trickster.
Duh.

If it gets that far, the DM can rule that it's disadvantageous.

>and you're sucking someone's cock
Since when sucking cock imposes disadvantage? Did i missed something? Asking for friend.

Honestly I'd say 'no, you cannot make that shot at all, you automatically fail unless you have an extended period of time to set up the shot.'
Though I might feel partial towards allowing a dedicated archer or ranger to try it anyway since they're supposed to be uncannily good at archery.

Book of erotic fantasy, 5e edition, page 56, 'Rules for oral intercourse.'

Ew, no. I'm not giving up Mastermind or thief.

>DM bases entire story progression on a single NPC helping us
>the party rogue meets that NPC, and proceeds to immediately insult him
>NPC gives us no help and goes away,
Next session:
>without the NPC's info, we lose the next encounter, and all our magic items in the process
>no way to progress the campaign appears, we just wander around aimlessly arguing amongst ourselves
Next session
>no way to progress the campaign appears, we just wander around aimlessly and finish some minor things left over, we also lose the last valuable thing in our posession in an encounter that we were designed to lose
Next session
>DM introduces a "way forward" which is for us to swear allegiance to Asmodeus and possibly even transform into devil princes or some shit
>we don't see another way to progress the campaign and say alright just do it
Session ends
>half the group say on Facebook they didn't sign up to play an evil campaign and won't continue

Please note: this guy has been DM for like over a decade, our group has been together for years, we didn't meet on Facebook or something.
The question is, how did he fuck up so much?

Should staying mounted after a hit in a joust be Wisdom (Animal Handling) or Strength (Athletics)? Perhaps Strength (Animal Handling)?

Sounds like a setting made only of rails to me, and you had the misfortune to go off the rails and wait for the next train.

Maybe but an experienced DM should bring the next train as soon as fucking possible, not three sessions later in a package that changes everything (keep in mind we voted at the start of the season for the kind of campaign we'd play, and the "evil campaign" option didn't get a single vote)

if he's been DMing for this long and has learned anything at all he probably should have had a backup hook

Have you all tried talking to him like fucking adults?

How much do you lose out on by not taking elven accuracy on samurai? It looks way too good to miss out on.

It does sound really bizarre, what the fuck were you doing for two sessions, for real?

So in 5th edition would everyone's favorite purple eyed prick Drizzt Do'Urdon be a pure ranger or a fighter ranger multiclass

>Thief
Use your mage hand to interact with objects as a bonus action
spider climb for climbing
darkness or silence or something for stealth
>Mastermind
Pretty lame.

So in the end which do people prefer, longbow or heavy crossbow? Reasoning can be either mechanical or flavor, I just want to hear justifications.

Longbow, mechanical and flavor

longBow because legolass used 1

Short longbow

If you get extra attack, longbow.
If not, heavy crossbow.
I'm not particularly interested in the feat.

Animal Handling would be more relevent if you were the one landing the hit to my mind at least.

I'd say straight strength or even con for being hit. Horsemanship isn't so relevent once you've just taken a lance to the chest, it's more how well you can sustain a hit with several hundred kilos of horse and knight behind it than how well you're controlling the animal you're riding.

A half-orc who is just a mountain of muscle but struggles to convince the horse to walk forward would shrug it off better than a halfling who has been riding ponies since he could walk for example, whilst in the inverse would be true for determining who is more likely to land a hit in the first place.

pure revised ranger beast conclave

You can't use mage hand to replace the thief and any dm who says otherwise is wrong.

Silly user, guenhwyvar is a magical item, not a true animal companion, but Drizzt is so special he gets to count it as one pretty much

Depends on character.
I run city guard with heavy Crossbow and elven scout with longbow. I choose what seems to fit better for each character (albeit in both cases it was optimal choice from mechanical standpoint as well).

Oh no, a pseudo martial has a reliable way to deal decent damage now without needing feats, whatever shall we do.

Crossbow because using a longbow makes you a faggy elf-wannabe.

yeah basically if you only get 1 shot it may as well be good but it's not worth taking a feat to fire one twice

Now figure up what rogues are doing with SA, Barbarians with rage damage, bonus points for frenzy barb and paladins with smite.

Well on the session where we fucked up with the NPC, it happened at the end, so we ended it there.
The DM should've known there was no way to progress at that point, and fixed it by the next session

Next week we went unprepared and without help into the upcoming encounter with the red dragon, who after some "negotiations" let us walk away after we gave him all our magic items as tribute.
So far so good, a fitting punishment for fucking up so badly with the NPC in the previous session.
But then we went back to town, and spent the rest of the session trying to find alternatives, which clearly didn't exist.

On the session after that, we had to be introduced to the new character of the one guy who died in the dragon encounter, and then we also got involved in a fight we were designed to lose, so the DM could take one other valuable thing we had with us. No way to progress further was revealed, in fact that one thing (a curious egg) was the only leverage we had to try and progress. We even thought we'd try going back to the dragon and trade the egg with the thing we wanted from him. But he took it from us.

Then the final session he came up with the shitty plan to turn evil.

Are the colleges of swords and valor any good?
My favorite character in the baldur's gate games has always been bards, as supporting spellcasters with a bow in the first game and dual wielding in the sequel so id like to play something close to that but their spell selection looks centered in enchanting crowd control this time around
Any buffs I'm missing?
The bardic inspiration is great but totally outclassed by fucking bless, a lvl1 spell

I know what an EK is (Eldritch Knight), but what's a BA and a GFB?

Why not stack them user

I need ideas for a simple Christmas one-shot. I've been asked to DM this weekend, and normally I obsess and plan a lot. I've never made my own adventure but always based my one-shots off of other people's material.

How do I plan a simple adventure? I'm thinking something stupid like having Santa be possessed and basically turn into a zombie, with his helpers also going mad. The PCs then have to slay his zombie-self to free the real santa! I dunno, something like that.

Ideas?

Yeti
Lots of yeti
Literally endless hoardes of yeti

big ass
grandpa for boy

Looking for advice as a new dm and new to the game as a whole on keeping people from metaing the fuck out of their min maxed characters and ruining everyone elses fun.

We have one guy who always meticulously researchs shit to make power builds and runs train on everything and can seemingly do everything which makes narrative things difficult as well, ruining everyone else's fun.

Krampus shows up to show the PCs the old fashioned meaning of Christmas. Not some jolly old fatso in a cottonball trim suit. Krampus.
And he's PISSED.

Basic Attack and Green Flame Blade Cantrip.

Longbows never make me think elves, they always make me think of the English.

Be an Adult and talk to him. Understand the system well enough to see what he's trying to do.

Thank you.

Fuck you.

>as you have more than one thing to swing
thing is most of the time you don't give a fuck about cleave damage, you want to kill whatever you're hiting asap and hiting his buddy for 2dmg is negligible 9/10 times

You can't use extra attack with GFB anyways, it will only outperform basic attack between levels 7 and 10

Literally just tell him no. This isn't some playground game where the teachers told you that he's following the rules and you have to let him steamroll you, this is a game where you as referee can just say "No, that's too powerful compared to everyone else. Come up with something that doesn't invalidate other players."
Also what the fuck is he doing, playing a wizard with infinite spell slots and a full spell list? 5e doesn't usually contain any minmaxx builds that invalidate everything until very late levels unless the DM just lets the player go to town with optional rules.

Does this take Extra Attack into account?

Id love to but then I would have to roll a lore bard but I wanted to buff the party and join fray

I have Animal Handling in there because I consider "riding training" to be included in it. I mean sure, a kennelmaster may have never ridden a horse but still be proficient in animal handling, but a cavalier will almost always be proficient.

>bless that you can get back on a short rest starting at level 5
>bless that becomes a d8 at the same level
>bless that potentially can affect enemy rolls and saves
>bless that is a bonus action

yeah, nah, think more about it.

There's a part near the end of a pathfinder adventure where the PCs are trapped in a snow covered hut and some spirit yetis are attacking the walls from the outside and creeping the shit out of them
The spirit yetis drive people mad and posess them until they wander off into the cold and die, then they become spirit yetis themselves

I think when someone was lost they'd walk and walk forever in the cold until their legs would become stumps from frosbites and only then do they become spirits and fly away to terrorize others

>evil chick
>titlet
Lies!

There's sightings of rampant flying sleighs who drop presents as if carpet bombing a city. One loses its flight capability, but the rider and reindeer still get away, leaving an obvious track in the snow.
It leads to your one-shot dungeon.
The numerous Santa simulacrums have gone out of control because the original Santa is now imprisoned, because Santa is the kind of guy who would cast Simulacrum, and have his Simulacrums Wish-cast Simulacrums.

>The bardic inspiration is great but totally outclassed by fucking bless, a lvl1 spell
What the actual fuck am I reading

Santa is "sick" and it's up to the party to figure out why and how to make him better.

After "investigation" they find out he's been poisoned, and you need to get some herb from a cave and also find out who poisoned him.

Is it Mrs. Claus just wanting a quiet night in with him? is Rudolf actually a were-reindeer and pissed off about having to drag a sleigh all the time, or is the chief elf who's fed up and wants to be in control this year.

No it's actually Santa and he just can't stomach having to travel 650 miles a second for all the ungrateful little ingrates who doen't fucking believe in him anymore.

bless affects 3 guys for all their rolls for a minute while each bard's inspiration is limited to 1 roll
The dice roll might be bigger but bless still blows bard's inspiration out of the water, specially at low levels

We're all deployed and new to the game so my knowledge of the game is limited. They're like level 5, he's a Warlock and it's a mixture of his spells and abilities outside of combat that make narrative stuff difficult. He's got unlimited castings of eldrich blast as a cantrip, coupled with a smattering of nuke spells that seems to wipe everything meanwhile our fighty types and rogues can't get a single kill.

I'm afraid to outright say no to someone since we have a small group and finding new players is difficult with where we are.
More or less just want everyone to have fun.

What I did do once which seemed to work was homebrew a powerful blink hound that ate mages, designing enemy encounters over their CR level seems to work well, but it's taxing given our jobs here there isn't a lot of time to research.

The cleric still has to use a spell slot which requires a long rest to refill AND has to maintain concentration on a d4.

They're two different things and both have strengths/weaknesses.

Longbow for superior mechanics, flavor, and general awesome.

meant for

>he can't join the frey as a Lore Bard
then you don't deserve to play the subclass anyway because you're not taking Paladin smites or Steel Wind Strike for some reason

>my knowledge of the game is limited.
This is the only problem I'm seeing. A single un-multiclassed Warlock at level 5 is only really good at one or two things outside of combat due to invocations and only good for a few rounds in combat before falling back on Eldritch Blast. And if Eldritch Blast is game breaking for you, you need to have enemies that are smart enough to find cover, or close in on the guy casting spells. Read up on the system and his abilities and you'll find that it's much less of a problem than you think.

yeah I know but the thing is clerics can buff the party rolls better than a bard since they get fuck all in the spell department

steel dance comes to late but I'll keep multiclassing in mind

>clerics get fuck all in the spell department
dios mios how much have you actually played this game

How do you deal with girl gamers converting your socially awkward neckbeards into creepy orbiters? It isn't her fault of course.

I need to DM for some relatively inexperienced players and I am not a detail-oriented person at all. I notice that published adventures tend to have a lot of nuances and I'm not sure if I need to do that or if I can just kind of shoot from the hip and basically BS dice rolls for a few hours.

What is the correct way to have fun?

I said BARDS get fuck all in the spell department supportwise, they get some great crowd control but they're missing shit like Haste and Hope from 3e

Appreciate it brev.

I know I need to get more well versed in the rules and mechanics of the game but as I said it's difficult with our time schedules deployed. I think I'm just gonna have to crunch and research a bunch one of these days on all of their class abilities and what not.

kick him out of the the campaign

I gotta ask what is he doing thats so good especially compared to everyone else? Because this ain't 3.5/PF and I don't see the game getting broken beyond even a newer DMs ability to handle

talk to them or remove girl

Jerk off the neckbeards to sate their sexual needs.

This, I don't want to be associated with French

It's literally every male player but one my bf

Honestly, requiring all the guys to jack off before session might not be a terrible idea if they're being that creepy

Can vampires be good? If you're a good character that gets bitten are you just evil right away?

One literally killed his chaotic dick character I think, and then rerolled a chivalrous paladin the session she joined. He's literally "m'ladying" her in game.

It hardly seems fair to get rid of her if she isn't doing anything.

So you like guys then eh? This changes things. You need to quench their immense virgin sexual appetite with your anus. Don't give them a choice.

Talk to them, could be it's a subconscious thing.

Plot Twist: user is the girl being orbited around

Kex

Make sure you read over the rules thoroughly. You might have some oversight issues on things like his spell slots EB damage or the limitations of jis invocations. Ive played a Warlock for like 2 years now and they can be hard to make work especially if you dont have a pact keeper rod and sufficient short rests

>inceptionbwaaaa.mp4

>spoiler
lol

sorry about your situation, though. I know i would became the same should any female would play with us and i really see no reasonable way out of it. I mean, if i could stop being creepy loser i already would. My 'temporary' hotfix is avoiding female company.

Obligatory
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
But no really just fucking talk to them like adults would, I get this is Veeky Forums but seriously how are people having this much trouble with very basic interactions when they're "playing" DnD.