>vampyre
>deity

Other urls found in this thread:

ncf.idallen.com/english.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>ghoblyn

Inglish iz e terribl lenguej.

>grimoire
You know that's just French and a legitimate word in the English language as well that's widely used outside of the context of fantasy, right? If you can't handle it, go whine on about your uncleftish beholding and other such shitstuffs.

daemon's a word, though.

It is, OP just thinks that it's a badwrong word.

What's wrong with "deity"?

The only annoying word on that list is vampyre. It just looks weird. Like Hebryw. or Italyn.

The only one of these I have a problem with is Vampyre, because I've never seen a "Vampyre" that's distinct from a "Vampire". All the others denote specific things which other words to do not.

>daemon
In D&D, daemons are NE, while demons are CE. In mythology, it refers to spirits in greek mythology somewhere between humans and gods, which has a connotation distinct from "demon" which is almost always evil underworld stuff.

>Fae
I suppose Fey is about the same, I just see Fae more often. No strong preference.

>Grimoire
It's a big old book. Kinda like a tome, but bigger and older.

>Rogue
Yes..? I guess the spelling is weird, but it's a real word.

>Deity
Again, it's just a real word. Do you just dislike the dictionary?

So is "fae". It's just shorthand for the French, "faerie", meaning illusion or enchantment. Heck, the only one he has any ground with is "vampyre", but even then, that's just the Old English spelling for "vampire".

you'd really hate this series

Magicke

What's wrong with tome and god?

what?

>Synonyms aren't allowed to exist
Why don't we just go back to fucking tongue clicks while we're at it?

OP is a confirmed faggot

>faggot
What's wrong with gay? :^)

All his words are correct to an extent, not all are badong

>gay
What wrong with man put penis in man?

it's a sin :^)

>tome
>god
Look at this guy using terrible words. Who does he think he is.

any deviation of Magic.

>Help my vocabulary is limited
What did he mean by this?

Tome doesn't necessarily carry the same impact that "grimoire" does. Looking up definitions, Grimoires are generally associated with being ancient magic textbooks, while tomes are just old books. IE all grimoires are tomes, but not all tomes are grimoires.

Deity and God have different connotations, in that Deity feels more like a dispassionate categorization, while God carries the connotation of recognizing that entity as a God. They refer to the same things, but they come across differently. We associate God with being an entity which is worshipped by mortals, which people mostly talk about if they believe in it, and which may be given credit for miracles. Deity does not necessarily carry these connotations.

>queste
>darke
There's just no reason for that

there's no reason for that series to exist in general, it's pretty bad

>mfw some internet peasant prefers the use of vocabulary of Germanic origin over vocabulary of French/Latin origin
How unsophisticated! How odious! How unrefined! How proletarian!

I often use "magics" when referring to a general school or typing of magic, as opposed to a singular instance of that kind of magic. i.e. Illusory magics vs. "The magic he used was an illusion spell." How do you feel about that?

Simmering with rage. Aaaaargh. You should stop doing that, user.

>posts by people who are terrible at words and spelling
I mean, c'mon, "rogue"? Are you that guy who always types "rouge" and then gets mad when everybody makes fun of him?

What's wrong with using words that actually exist, but at the same time are at least somewhat interesting. I'd hate to think what your games sound like.

>it's a sin :^)
depends on the deity =O

is a faggot. You're using the word properly, don't listen to him.

You know what really grinds my gears? When writers use old-timey-sounding words like this in a setting without any regard to the historic connections that are implied by their linguistic relationships (either to each other or to "regular" words in the more general lexicon). Either go full Tolkien, or don't. There is no "try".

I don't like "Rogue" either, at least as a class name. The english language lacks a decent word for someone who is good at stealth, subterfuge and infiltration. If someone is good at fighting we call them a Fighter or a Warrior, if someone is good at stealth we call them ____. "Sneaker" sounds dumb. "Infiltrator" is good but too modern. "Thief" and "Assassin" are too specific. "Rogue" implies a criminal or bad guy more than it implies a specific skill-set, a bit like if fighters were called "Brutes".

Brute is actually a pathfinder archetype for rogue

>Flyte
I hope that one's about Nordic bantz

>I don't like "Rogue" either, at least as a class name.
Nah, that's fair. There's just not really a good alternative. Classic version was always "thief" - it became "rogue" later specifically to become more general and drop the criminal implication.

I do kinda like "Sneaker". He's in that party with "Tanker", "Healer" and "Fireballer".

There is no Old English spelling for "vampire". It's a modern word.

>I still haven't come to terms with the Norman Conquest.

That might have been true in the past, but the wonderful thing about language is that outgrows and transcends its roots. When many people think of the word, "rogue," nowadays they're explicitly thinking about a stealthy and/or tricksy character from D&D or video games, and not some commonplace ruffian or homely scoundrel.

no, it's about the hero's older brother coming back after having turned evil part way through the first book, he's rediscovered how to fly using magic (or as a book insists on spelling it 'magyk'). I forget what happens in the middle but by the end, the hero has learned 'flyte' making him the only special snowflake in the setting who knows that spell.

>There is no Old English spelling for "vampire". It's a modern word.
Fairly, yeah, at least in english. If you want a more proper "old" version of it, go with the serb "vampir".

I'm not sure OP has even come to terms with the Angles and Saxons being on the same team.

When most people think of "rogue", they think about Star Wars or bad cop movies about turning in your badge and gun before the chief gets any angrier.

>rogue
>homely scoundrel
It actually usually implies quite the opposite, eg "his roguish good looks".

Daemon and fae ARE the correct spelling.
So is rogue and deity, vampyre is the oldschool spelling, grimoire is French.

Horizon Zero Dawn uses Daemon.

Because it's a computer daemon, used to take control of an AI.

>>vampyre
That made me picture an incredibly metal lawful good society with an eternal pyre that they fuel with burning vampires thrown in daily.

That's the good stuff.

Using archaic spelling is the fastest way to make something fit a generic fantasy universe, though. I actually really like shit like Daemon and Fae vs Demon and Fairy

I never finished those but the first few were pretty fun.

>magick
>majikul

Fae and Fairy call upon different images too. I associate Fae with the Wild Hunt and Fairy with Tinkerbell.

meguca yes

indeed

gay means happy while faggot means a bundle of sticks

I'm so exposed to rogue as sneaker that using it for it's proper use as a noun sounds quaint and old fashioned to me.

What is "rogue" (as in the class) translated into when RPGs are released in other languages? Are there people here from foreign places who can answer that?

I'm just going to come right out and say it. The letter C is pointless and should be removed from the modern Latin alphabet.

Hard C can be replaced in all cases with K (Eskape, Elastik, and Konstant)
Soft C can be replaced most of the time with S.
(Senter) Sometimes this would allow the removal of an E that is no longer necessary.
(Servis)
CH would be replaced with TSH or K depending on its sound (Tshair, Kaos)

I think that I speak for all of us when I say that C advocates (or C-Men as I like to call them) have held us back for far too long. I ask that you join me in fighting for a future without the letter C and someday its dark compatriot W.

In Sweden Rogue is usually translated into our word for thief (tjuv) or occasionally lönnmördare (hired killer)

Calm down Pekka other languages like their C

Oh look it's this thread again but somehow this faggot OP made the pasta even more obviously retarded bait.

>tome
What, is "book" not good enough, faggot?

Funny thing is before vulgur latin the C was pronounced like the K

Written swedish looks almost as retarded as it sounds.

I think OP's a nutter and even I convulsed when seeing this shite

But all of those save vampyre are real words, you ass.

I don't know what's with all the retards in this thread saying "vampyre" isn't is real word. I know that nowadays it doesn't see any actual usage outside of goth kids misappropriating it for their own purposes, but it really is the way "vampire" used to be spelled. At least, as far as the English language is concerned, and despite other retards claiming that it wasn't.

Your ""solution"" for "ch" fails, the "tsh" sound is well wide off the mark for anything that ends in "ch".
Also using "k" excessively looks dumb as hell.

Also
>getting rid of letters
>not adding silent letters just because you can
>not having counterintuitive pronunciation on top of that
It's like you don't even English.

>Sourcery

Allow me to correct myself.
All those are words still in relatively common use except 'vampyre', which is spelled 'vampire', at least in modern American English. The only other one with dubious relevance is 'fae', and daemon generally refers to the computer program definition.

I made it to Terpsichore. The fuck is that?

I still associate "rogue" with stealing shit and being a dick in general, not just being stealthy. I'd think of someone who uses stealth for non-criminal reasons as a spy, or maybe a scout/tracker of some kind if their skills are used outdoors.

I associate "rogue" with someone who goes their own way. I've always thought it was a silly name for what it implies in most areas of gaming, so I take to calling those who specialize in stealth 'shadows'. It's clean, simple, and--if the character is being played stealthily--complementary.

The Chaos, aka the best poem to fuck with your pronunciation.
If you wanna read it, checking the meter and rhymes is not optional, otherwise it'll fuck you over later on.

(I like the extended version: ncf.idallen.com/english.html )

Oh, and assume British pronunciation.

Cheating.

She's a greek goddess (one of the muses) - if you just follow the metre you get the pronunciation (terp-sick-or-ey) though. Later on there's another muse, Melpomene.
There's also a few place names in there, which again is kind of cheating.

There's a few words I didn't get that seem to be proper nouns I don't know, but I managed to get through all of it (phew!)

user... I know you hate niggers, but tongue clicks are just consonants, in languages like Xhosa.

Do you see this shit?
THIS is why the Academie Française exists, to prevent this exact type of wildgrowth.
English could do with a language academy of its own, to be quite honest with you family.

Opee isa fagut

I love my language.

>Terpsichore
The Muse of song and dance. C'mon, that one was easy.

Dammit, now I want to get on that meme:

The Chad English
>straight-up invents words every year
>has never even heard of consistency
>steals other languages words, often re-defining them
>makes rules, ignores them half the time anyway
>first language of superpowers, second language of everyone else
>doesn't have formal noun gendering, some nouns are gendered anyway
>has heteronyms, heterographs and homonyms all over the place
>even their slang gets used around the world

Don't forget "Has literally never even heard of an accent"

Half of these are just regular ass words. What's wrong with deity??

Dunpeal instead of Dhampir

Words like ague and sward aren't really in common usage anymore, and I didn't even realize you could stick a u in mold, though I suppose I should've (there are so many unnecessary u's in this thing). On the other hand, I'm not used to seeing loath without an "a". I actually had to look up "tansom" and "feoffor", as well as some of the proper names. Hiccough is just silly. I would say that this poem is dated, and from the ridiculous side of the world when it comes to spelling.

>(there are so many unnecessary u's in this thing).

The second your language has clicks you're not human anymore but alien. Same for tonal languages.

This threade is now phor inventynge horryble phantasy neologizmes:

monstyrgirle
thyque
magyckall realme
browne elwes
cucque

more like terrible op and baiting

Yeah, other than three or four proper nouns, and stumbling on "Writing" for no real reason, reading it as "Written", everything else was smooth sailing. As the preface at the top of the image says, I imagine not many people can do that.

OP would shit himself reading The Worm Ouroboros:

> Fram Me, Gorice the Twelft, Greate Kyng of Wychlande and of Ympelande and of Daemonlande and of al kyngdomes the sonne dothe spread hys bemes over, unto Corsus My servaunte: Thys is to signifye to the that thoue shalt with all convenient spede repaire with a suffycyaunt strengthe of menne and schyppes to Daemonlande, bycause that untowarde and traytorly cattell that doe there inhabyt are to fele by the the sharpnes of My correctioun. I wyll the, as holdynge the place of My generalle ther, that thow enter forcybly ynto the sayd cuntrie and doe with al dilygence spoyl ravysche and depopulate that lande, enslavying oppressyng and puttyng to the dethe as thow shalt thynke moost servychable al them that shal fall ynto thy powre, and in pertyculer pullyng downe and ruinating all thayr stronge houlds or castels, as Galinge, Dreppabie, Crothryng, Owleswyke, and othere. Thys enterpryse in head is one of the gretest that ever was since yt is to trampe downe Daemonlande and once and for al to cutt thayr coames whose crestes may daunger us, and thow art toe onderstande that withowt extraordinair experiens of thy former merrits I wolde not commyt to the so greate a chairge, and especially in such a tyme. And since al gret enterpryses oughte to bee sodeynly and resolutely prosequuted, therefore thys oughte to bee done and executed at furthest in harveste nexte. Therefore yt is My commaundemente that thow Corsus take order for the instant furnesshynge of shippes, seamen, souldiers, horsemen, officiers, and pertyculer personnes, wepons, municions, and al other necessaries whych is thought to be needfull for the armie and boast whych shalbe levied for the sayd entrepryse, for whyche this letter shalbe thy suffycyaunt warrant under My hande. Given under My signeth of Ouroboros in My pallaice of Carcie thys xxix daie of may, beynge the vij daie of My yeare II.

Do you pitch a fit when somebody says "five bucks" instead of "five dollars", or when somebody says "five grand" rather than "five thousand dollars"?

Seen this thread before. Your pasta's stale, OP. (You) get nothing.