WHYYYYYYYYYYYY

Why does anybody in-universe want to live in the Imperium of Man? I mean, being an ordinary citizen in a shitty Hive City. Why don't ordinary Imperial citizens defect en-masse to the Tau, Chaos, or anybody that's not the Imperium? And I mean, everybody, not just your typical cults, and things like that. Man, i'd rather be raped by a Tyranid than live in that system.

>Why don't ordinary Imperial citizens defect to Chaos?
>not just your typical cults
What the fuck do you think 'defecting to Chaos' entails, user? Keeping your free will and the majority of your skin and living a joyful life with papa Nurgle?

The average imperial citizen has no means to leave their planet and is indoctrinated from birth to love the imperium.

Also no one knows chaos exists. It’s the best kept secret in the imperium.

>Keeping your free will and the majority of your skin and living a joyful life with papa Nurgle?

but that happens all the same living in a Hive City. You lose your skin and limbs working, have the life expectancy of a dog and get plague after plague, for which you are drugged and only treated if you are unable to keep working 20 hour shifts.

might as well have fun while you're losing your skin and free will.

Because an ordinary citizen has no fucking idea of what's happening outside his/her planet in most cases. Besides, with all the imperial propaganda, they might just think than the Tau are the worst of the worst, and the life they have within the Imperium is a blessing full of benefits, even if it is utterly shit.

>Joining with evil xenos who want to kill you all, use you as slave labor, and bring ruin to the God-Emperor's works
>Turning from the God-Emperor's light to embrace the tainted creed of recidivists and mutants
Stop using your master's laslines and get back to work, user. You obviously don't understand why people still voted for Mugabe.

Why does the Imperium build Hive cities? I understand mega cities exist due to natural sprawl. But Hive cities instead build up and are absolute lawless nightmares in the lower half. That's just asking for chaos cults. Guilliman should outlaw building new Hives. And bring back classical architecture.

>Why don't ordinary Imperial citizens defect en-masse
Do you want your planet to be bombed into a nuclear hellscape? Cuz that's how you get your planet bombed into a nuclear hellscape.

Why don't you ask the people from Krieg how rebelling against the Imperium went for them?

And the surviving Kriegers were the actual loyalists!

>Tau
Sure! We'd love for you to join us, but first we need to give you these shots that TOTALLY WILL NOT STERILIZE YOU, SHUT UP.
>Chaos
If you aren't interesting enough to make for a decent plaything for one or more of the Ruinous Powers, you're probably either a slave who starts sprouting tentacles that constantly rape your own asshole. Also, the average Imperial citizen isn't aware of Chaos.

>Why don't people just completely change their entire life.
Why don't you fucking try it if it's so easy.

Not even a 40k guy, but I know that Chaos are a bunch of crazy assholes. I practically live a Hive world lifestyle IRL, and I'll happily take that slow, degrading death over Chaos.

Tau would be an improvement (even with the sterilization and probable mind control), but getting there is a huge pain for even the military, let alone peasant defectors.

Reminder that not all imperial worlds are hives.

And even there, people are not completely helpless - iirc, one of the books mentioned a hive world where underhivers were supported by welfare.

Closer to what we have today of a satisfying life would be living on a Temperate World.

>let alone peasant defectors
This. Your Average Joe Imperial citizen probably isn't ever going to leave the planet unless their job requires it or they're relocated by the Administratum for one reason or another.

They go up because either the surface has become too crowded or polluted/toxic to build outwards anymore. It's a space saver as are skyscrapers.

Because Baneblades will appear from busshes next to them?

Don't worry, Guilliman will turn things for the better.

>‘Look at that,’ said Guilliman. ‘The arrogance of the Neverborn remains as great as it ever was. But it is we who remain, and it is we who shall prevail. Dante, there is a lesser task I will set you.’ He lifted his hand up to encompass three worlds. ‘These planets were hells. For generations we have recruited the strong over the weak, in the belief it makes our warriors better. I do not think this is so. Cruel men make cruel warriors make cruel lords. We need to be better. We need to rise over the need for violence and recognise other human qualities in our recruits. Your Chapter has ever understood this. If we do not, then we will fall prey to our worst excesses, the kind of thing that that represents.’ He pointed at Ka’Bandha’s name. ‘It has long been in your capability to transform these worlds. Baal Primus is dead, but you need not let your remaining people suffer unnecessarily. Will they fight any better for dwelling on a world that kills them? By sacrificing their children to the Emperor’s service, they have earned a better life. Once you have torn that blasphemy down, raise up the population of Baal Secundus. Teach them what we are fighting for. A line must be drawn between what is good and what is evil, for if the Great Enemy comes with offers of power to a wretch, what reason does he have to refuse hell if he dwells in it already?’ Guilliman was tense. Dante had not expected that in the Lord of Ultramar. Guilliman was impatient to change things. He was angered by what he had found upon his rebirth, and he was not hiding it

Most people don't know anything outside their own planet, let alone system.
They don't know if there are better places.
Also not every imperial planet sucks, just most of them.

This post should have been /thread.

OP is a fucking retard.

this is like asking why do people keep living in ghettos and don't just move somewhere nice.

They're poor as fuck, most have no real skills to elevate their position in life, and on many planets are actively kept in such a place as a source of cheap replaceable labor. Thrown in good ol indoctrination and fanaticism with a nonstop workday around the clock, and most average joes don't even have time to think about rebelling, let alone going through with.

In addition, planets and sometimes entire systems rebel quite often. The problem is none of them can stand up to the Imperium for long and once the Imperium makes an example of them, they don't forget it. Not even gue vesa, or chaos, just straight up good ol fashioned rebellions. The problem is either these empires that rebel are too small to stand up to other forces in the universe (Xenos invasions, Imperial reconquest) get tricked and taken over by a malicious entity (genestealer cults, chaos cults) or they just die off from regular infighting and incompetence.

For the exact same reason Feudal Serfdom existed for so long and all the peasnts didn't just pack it up and move somewhere else.

They couldn't and even if they managed to not get hacked up in the attempt there was no where any better to run to. This is supposing that they even know anything about the galaxy at large, because again, like the medieval Serf (seeing a trend here yet?) they probably don't know what goes on outside of their immediate surroundings.

The only reason the Guard or Navy don't defect, because they're really the only people with the knowledge how to, the gear to facilitate it, and the shitty situation to be inclined to do it is because they know the second they do a million other pissed off humans are going to put boots up their asses, and that's only if the Commissar's don't get to them first.

tl;dr Serfdom, that's why

Because it's the only good side of the story. And let's be honest here, they're the ones with more chance to win in the end

Guilliman is a retard.

All of this is only possible if chaos is defeated

>Sure! We'd love for you to join us, but first we need to give you these shots that TOTALLY WILL NOT STERILIZE YOU, SHUT UP.
>Wallow in misery
>Maybe breed misshapen offspring that will wallow in misery
vs
>Don't wallow in misery, maybe don't breed
How is this worse?

Feudal serfdom was pretty fucking comfy. Fuckers literally had more days off than modern people.

Stop buying into renaissance propaganda and look shit up. I bet you also believe they were all filthy fucks that thought bathing summoned the devil or some shit.

>would happily take dying slowly and pathetically over going out in an orgy of excess/extreme violence
This is how I know you're full pleb

He's right though. Your typical peasant only worked during harvest.

Not to mention the notion of the preponderate of the labour force being landed serfs is a false one. A great deal had quite a bit of independence in terms of their options of who they worked for and where they worked.

>Maybe breed misshapen offspring
Maybe sign up for the next pogrom, mutie scum.

You are a retard. Guilliman is our nigga.

If that was the case the population levels wouldn't be so obscene after a generation or so. Obviously the ordinary man has to be able to support a good few children.

they're not realistic though
utilizing arcologies, you can not only keep down pollution of living space, but have a high standard of living while effortlessly sustaining tens of trillions of people per planet
going off the size of planets, you'd cause the entire place to ignite from waste heat long before you run out of room for people and factories
and as a bonus, the nature of arcologies let you produce far more agricultural produce than you need to feed the arcology producing it

they aren't even high tech, We could build them with the technology we have now

Why does anybody want to live in North Korea? I mean, being an ordinary citizen in a shitty farming commune. Why don't ordinary North Korean citizens defect en-masse to China, South Korea or anybody that's no the Imperium?

It always bothered me that the BAs did nothing to their world/moons when they had the technology to do so. Before, I thought it just wasn't possible because their worlds were just that horrible and broken. Or that the BAs relationship with the Admech was so bad, they couldn't get their assistance, even if they could improve the lives of their people.

WE DIE FOR CHAOS SO THAT WE MAY LIVE FOR OURSELVES

>blue communist space weeaboos
Or
>attached image is your daily life

Pick one

When did the Tau start mass sterilizing everyone? I'm assuming the Kroot aren't growing through parthenogenesis

They did it once when they took a Hive world because by itself the population of the Hives required a quarter of entire Tau empires agricultural output in order to keep the population healthy

Its from the Dawn of War: Dark Crusade game. If you beat the campaign as Tau, it says they start sterilizing the human population.

So, shaky at best. Anti-Tau fags love pointing to it.

So basically there's one single example and it's concluded to be standard Tau action? Dang. Why do people hate the Tau so much? There's a point where endless Grimdark gets boring, so the Tau always felt very refreshing even with the ham-fisted Orwellian shit that was added in.

to be fair, a single hive world would probably be at least double digit percent of the population of the entire fucking Tau Empire, so by starting a campaign of sterilization, they had to do it to trillions of people, and something on that scale is not a one and done sort of thing

where would they go? They know nothing about Chaos, its a secret, and i doubt many would want to hang out with the insane fuckers.
Only option that wouldn't kill/enslave you would be the Tau and I don't think imperial citizens want to be brainwashed into serving a bunch of vagina headed nobles.

most gue'la are willing to join the greater good

>they're not realistic though
mans its warhammer 40k. Brain eating chainsword super solider monk knights travel through double hell in city sized cathedral ships to fight psychic green fungus monsters, space elves that shit crystals, and 10000 year old evil daemon sword wielding versions of themselves. Get over the realism thing.

I hope you get cancer for lying like that. Fucking shameless cunt.

Single expendable T'au expedition fleet had more T'au than most Hiveworld populations.

It wasn't even confirmed. The narrator just threw it as a possibility for the declining number of Kronus humans and in another line he said it was most likely caused by the single gender re-education camps.

The T'au lore has them having a big demand for masses of alien population to the point that the T'au are targeting Imperial hiveworlds for conquest and then funneling the millions of humans into their core worlds to aid the growth of their empire.

It would actually be kind of amusing if the thing that causes the Tau to start going down the grimdark path that every other race in 40k has gone down was due to diversity. They kept including more races into the Empire but not allowing them to have much say in how things are being run, and pockets of resistance keep showing up everywhere in the Empire as the races start to decide they be better off on their own again. Suddenly everyone remembers the Farsight Enclaves and how they don't have Ethereals, and whispers of sedition start up in the Fire Caste in the Empire proper leading to full on civil wars as the Ethereals have to deal with rebel commanders trying to pull the same shit again. Suddenly their ideals of the greater good and unity get really tested at the absolute worst time as the galaxy at large is tearing itself apart.

A Tau Civil War scenario would be an interesting setting for a series of novels, plus that might shine more light on the minor xenos species the Tau control. Which ones follow the Ethereals and which ones follow Farsight?

Why don't North Koreans (and I mean, everybody, not just your typical escapees) defect en masse to the South? I think you don't understand how human adaptabily causes us to not only tolerate but even feel at home and defensive of even the worst systems. Also, you underestimate the power of propaganda to make you think you're living in a relative paradise and that all the other options are ten times worse (which is more or less true in 40k).

anyone who can travel between planets is comfortable enough, how are you gonna defect from to the Tau is they are only spoken of in rumor and you can't get a ticket off world?

I'd honestly have no problem living as a farmer on an agri world. Since they're literal millions of worlds needed to supply the Imperium with food, I'd mostly likely live, and die, on said agri world in relative isolation/peace.

>inb4 "enjoy your rape raid by Dark Eldar, sand raker.

1) They all believe that their emperor is a living god who watches over them, and if they start spouting heresy the church will burn them at the stake.

2) They don't know that Chaos, the Tau or any other specific factions exist. The only things they've been told about aliens is that they're malevolent monsters who despise humans.

3) All of the advanced technology, including nukes, titans, starships, exterminatus weaponry and space marines, are in the hands of the elite who are the only ones who can get them to work.

4) Not every planet is a hive world. Lots of planets in the Imperium of Man are relatively nice places to live, like modern earth. Many more are primitive worlds where people live like it's the Bronze Age or Medieval Europe. Most of the people in the Imperium are never exposed to life in other places, there is no reason for a hive worlder to think that it's even possible for life to be better somewhere else, for all they know the hive they grew up in is nice compared to some other places.

5) Despite all of the above, there are groups that defect from the Imperium all the time, sometimes even whole nations or planets. The result is usually that a shitload of soldiers or space marines from somewhere more loyal show up, and if they can't restore order, the navy just glasses the whole place.

6) The Tau are tremendously small and weak compared to the Imperium. If the Imperium actually considered them an existential threat, they would utterly crush their empire before a federation between it and a hypothetical large faction of rebellious humans could be made.

>6) The Tau are tremendously small and weak compared to the Imperium. If the Imperium actually considered them an existential threat, they would utterly crush their empire before a federation between it and a hypothetical large faction of rebellious humans could be made.

False. The lore says that destroying the T'au was beyond the ability of the Imperium.

Agri-Worlds are not idyllic Harvest Moon sunshine and rainbow planets. The fields are worked by colossal machines, poison is rained upon the land to ensure the growth of the right crops and it's about as fun to live there as on any other world that is essential for the Imperium's success.

Where does it say that?
I haven't read any lore in ages, but I remember an old Tau codex describing the first war between the two empires involving the entire military of the Tau empire and only a small division of the Imperium's resources, and the Imperium anihilated all their distant colonies, drove them all the way back to their weird little cluster and then dusted off their hands fucked off.

ALL WORLDS IN THE IMPERIUM THAT PRODUCE SIMILAR PRODUCTS ARE THE SAME

wanna know how I know you are just a tablefag doesn't understand the setting or even occasionally read a couple lore books set on agri worlds or play the rpg?

>Why do people hate the Tau so much?
Because they're fag communist space weeaboos.

>rpg
Not Canon

>a couple lore books set on agri worlds
I know because I read Eisenhorn and he hangs out on an Agri World at the start of... I think Malleus?
In any case, traditional farming wouldn't produce the food necessary to supply the Imperium. Traditional farming doesn't even produce the food necessary to supply the US, so you can basically take the dystopian megafarms of the Americas and crank them up to eleven to get a good grasp of how that'd work in 40k.

I'm a Taufag and here's what actually happened:
The Tau were a primitive Xenos empire slated for destruction, then fuckery and suddenly they were way more advanced and a credible threat to the planets of the area. So the order to destroy them was renewed and NOT lost in the archives this time and a Crusade set out to, without a doubt, eradicate them. The Damocles Crusade was a series of battles that went here and there and mostly nowhere for a while, but the thing with the Imperium is that it can simply outlast any non-Cron, Ork or Nid threat. So the Tau would have been crushed by the bottomless pockets if the Imperium, but luckily for them, Nids showed up the the Crusade was stopped in favor of a more present threat.

Thanks for the rundown, it has been years. I wonder where I put all my codices...

I just fucking hate faggots that spout false bullshit, no matter the side. Propping up the Tau as some unbeatable ultraforce defeats their entire charm.

>You lose your skin and limbs working, have the life expectancy of a dog and get plague after plague, for which you are drugged and only treated if you are unable to keep working 20 hour shifts.
People put up with this in real life, and still vote for the party that's the cause. And this despite having uncensored access to the Internet and thus information, and not having to worry about genocidal military simply killing any dissenters.

There are "normal" worlds all over the place, it's just hive worlds make more interesting reading. No one is going to want to read Pride and Prejudice in the 40k universe.
>or would they?

>Also no one knows chaos exists. It’s the best kept secret in the imperium.
Is it true though?

Waaaaaaagh and Peace, a tale of the horrific impact war has on the Snotling wives left at home nervously expecting widowhood and ballroom dancing.

Would you read it?

Sometimes it seems people who hate the Tau are disappointed they aren't literally eating human babies or something like that. One dude I knew said he hated the Tau because they weren't 'brutal like the Necrons or 'Nids and you have to be brutal to survive in 40k'.
He also never fielded anything but Necrons or Tyranids and was unofficially banned from many other tabletop groups because he'd always play the same rape happy katana or war axe wielding jackass and get angry whenever people told him he couldn't rape the NPC Priestess of Lloth because she's the quest giver and also vastly stronger than him.

To be fair they don't really build them anymore because they lack the capabilty. But in terms of why they're useful, they are intended to be people farms and kore to the point they're intended to be soldier farms. Disgrunted but combat ready fodder are exactly what the imperium wants when the tithe ships come around. People who can handle a gun and would do absolutly anything for 3 square meals a day and the chance to get of this godforsaken rock. So that's gow the govenors keep it

Are there stories of people from the Imperium deffecting to Tau Empire??

Destroying the Tau utterly is well within the capacity of the Imperium's military. What they lack is the ability to divert the necessary forces from the other threats occupying their attention. The Imperium is stuck in a situation where making do with 60% of what you need is the norm.

>It wasn't even confirmed.
What do you think I meant when I said "It's shaky at best."?

Well yeah, why do you think there are so many rebellions in 40k? The imperium is gradually reaching it's breaking point and is becoming more and more tyrannical to compensate. War material and soldiers are unfairly siezed without warning for warzones across the galaxy. The administrarum is going insane trying to keep track of it all and it will still end up in the wrong warzone. More worlds rebel because they're being treated like shit making the imperium even more stretched and more tyrannical. It's a vicious cycle that only Guilliman can stop.

You should ask yourself why the citizenry of Nazi Germany stayed together loyally, all the way to end of the war, continuously fighting on even when it was obvious that the war was lost.

Once you answer that question "whatever consensus that might be" you have a answer for the Imperial situation.

Also literal rape daemons, "and Tau are nice" is literal in universe propaganda.

New fag detected.
This isnt 30k no more user.

I think user that this really depends on your world and sector. And who rules it as well.

>You lose your skin and limbs working, have the life expectancy of a dog and get plague after plague, for which you are drugged and only treated if you are unable to keep working 20 hour shifts.

Infinitesimally better than getting flayed for a decoration to be put on someone' daemon engine, or for aliens to sell you to have your testicles ground up for food.

Most people don't know about chaos, and they only know about heretics and xenos as "these things will do horrible things to you, so don't go to them".

Yeah, its really stupid how some people think that the Imperium is just "SUPER GRIMDARK ALL THE TIME" when planets vary from Neolithic planets, cave men and all, to more modern civilized worlds, to hive worlds, to some worlds that make real life seem like a living hell their so nice. Its like saying because Africa's shit that the rest of the planet must be too.

That would be Vulkan

Not him but the RPG's are absolutely canon.

The same reason why folks in East Germany didn't run away to the Western Germany.

>1) They all believe that their emperor is a living god who watches over them, and if they start spouting heresy the church will burn them at the stake.

This - Indoctrination is a hell of a drug.

>It always bothered me that the BAs did nothing to their world/moons when they had the technology to do so. Before, I thought it just wasn't possible because their worlds were just that horrible and broken. Or that the BAs relationship with the Admech was so bad, they couldn't get their assistance, even if they could improve the lives of their people.
Pretty much this. Add the fact that peoples in the Imperium don't even know what's going on beyond their planet. They don't know what Chaos is. The Tau for them are just filthy xenos. They're brainwashed by the propaganda and don't have access to the knowledge that could help them to figure it out.

i was thinking, would priest still rant about how demons will eat your soul if you are a heretic ?
catholic style
not directly talking about chaos, but how you should stay vigilant for the taint of the ruinous powers and the clutch of demons/xenos, in a vague and prechous form

Their canon state is the same as the contract between FFG and GW.
Nonexistant.

And the sowing season