Last time on /5eg/:
boards.Veeky Forums.org/tg/thread/56780658#top

Attack the darkness with my sword.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/934968437628997632
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

When are we getting more maneuvers?

Fucked up the link.

I'm gonna make my own human variant, with blackjack and hookers proficiency.
+2 to an ability score
TWO extra languages
One skill
One tool
Prodigy

Out of curiosity, what would you guys use the Wish spell for within its intended purpose of casting lower level spells? I'd probably use Awaken on a small tree or creature like a spider and possibly take it on as an apprentice. Would be some interesting rp and some roadblocks, but could serve as a fun backup if my initial wizard ever kicked the bucket during a campaign or as a possible new character for another campaign.

I usually play more direct classes when it comes to combat, like Barbarians, Rogues, and eldritch-spamming Warlocks but I'm wanting to do a really really fancy magic swordsman.

College of swords seems like it might be fun. What are some good buffs/spells to look into as I'm leveling him up from 1-10? And are there any other good options for magic swordsmen? Things a little bit more fancy than a paladin just casting smite

Would dips into Sorcerer or Warlock benefit a Bard the same way Sorlock benefits and Sorcadin benefits? Or is Bard hard to multiclass into without getting Gishy?

Is fighting in darkness always reduced to just rolling with disadvantage?

On an unrelated note has anyone played as or with an Aasimar character? How did it go? I'm toying with the idea of a bard or a ranger Aasimar but I know they're very special snowflake

If you can't see, you have disadvantage.
If your target is equally out of luck, you also have advantage.
You usually do straight rolls.
Opportunity attacks don't exist.
Many important spells or abilities cannot target things you can't see.

I played a very basic Paladin aasimar.
>2 Pal > Fighter(Battle master)3 > 7Pal

>Holy crusade against all evil monsters
>Always recruiting and sustaining a small squad of 2-3 experienced hirelings to assist him on his quest
>Focused mostly on party buffs and defending his sidekicks

It was pretty fun

I gonna make my own dragonborn
+2 con
+1 cha
Common and draconic language
Sense 60ft darkvision, 10ft blind sight
Draconic resistance chose color
Dragon breath chose color (bonus action) 1+con charge
tail

Generally I take it as a get out of jail free card for any situation that might require a specific spell to solve. Mostly it sees use in healing/resurrecting the healer when they get fucked.
In my current campaign my Sorcerer has been gunning for Wish for some time now so he can finally cast Magnificent Mansion, but ever since XGE came out Mighty Fortress has eclipsed any other dreams I had. The best part is that it's free.

I have an Eldritch Knight on the go right now. They don't have a whole lot of magic but things like Shield and Absorb Elements make you very formidable on the front.
The weapon bond, while quite situational, is very cool and useful when it does come up. Had to give up our weapons to parlay with a group of guys who turned out to be bad and being able to suddenly produce a weapon to defend myself was a very cool moment. It then came in handy on the later prison break

So you basically played it absolutely straight. Did your characters heritage factor into the plot or party dynamic much?

How do you guys handle low INT scores in game? And not even really low scores, but an 8 or a 9 INT.

I've ruled that 8-12 is about average in my game, so that my characters who have a dump stat in INT don't all RP like they're fucking idiots all game long. Figure that INT measures things like how well you'd do in school, hence the history/religion/arcana checks that are tied to it, but a few of my players were worried that it meant they were riding on the short bus with a score of '8'.

Not too much. Really, I only picked an aasimar because I thought "Why not". Besides a few throw away bible jokes and the Aasimar healing racial trait,It would have been pretty much exactly the same as if I played a highly religious human who was chosen for a holy quest by his order.

Animal intelligence is 2. 6 should be "slow", 5 or 4 would be short bus.
>captcha was a bunch of buses

Interesting. I'm kind of glad to hear of a low key game played with it.
I personally would like to play it down aa much as possible and avoid acknowledging it unless it comes to it, or for a cool moment of using divine powers out of nowhere.
I actually only like the idea of an Aasimar Ranger because I read in some poll somewhere that it was the least played race class combo in AL or something like that.

....do beholders pop like balloons like that when you kill them? Because that is actually pretty funny.

INT is how educated you are and how good you are at grasping complex concepts.

WIS is what determines whether you're a dribbling idiot or not, though a true idiot will have low scores in both.

An scholar or wizard who is like a savant can have high INT and low WIS, be capable of drawing on an endless amount of historical information with perfect accuracy, but baffled by how coinage and barter works and unaware of why assuming an air of smug superiority with an uneducated half-orc in the street is bad for your health.

A mastermind in the Thieves' Guild can have low INT and high WIS, be capable of maneuvering highly educated scholars or wizards into scams that leave them bereft of coinage or outwitting entire city guard divisions with complex schemes, but also lacking anything beyond a basic hedge-school education or patience for scholarly pursuits.

Honestly, it's annoying when people try to overly roleplay to their stats, and the ridiculous amount of importance 5e gives them doesn't help. Low int in specific is a gnarly one, but given you're expected by the system to have at least one low stat, and cha/int are the most likely to be dumped, I would rather just tell people to not think too hard about their stats and play normally. Better than to have, say, yet another dumb barbarian. It's not that interesting as an archetype

No, that's a gas spore. It's a big floating fungus that explodes in spores and looks like a beholder, floating through the underdark. It is extremely deadly.

I played a fallen aasimar warlock in ToA

played it neutral though, not evil. Was born a regular protector aasimar but was more interested in studying than smiting evil and protecting the weak. Eventually found a sketchy magic book as a youth (pact of the tome) and made a pact with it, severing his connection to his celestial guide and turning him into a fallen aasimar.

The only thing his unknown patron asked of him though was to seek knowledge, that single command always burning like a hunger in the back of his mind, so he took up as an archaeologist. By the time of the campaign he was in Chult looking for other adventurers to help him make his way through the jungles and seek out ancient ruins and lost artifacts, etc.

unfortunately he died halfway through the campaign with no res because ToA, so I didn't really get to figure out where to go much past that setup.

What are the most useful cantrips for doing things other than damage?

Mage Hand is a pretty good one, Light obviously, what else?

prestidigitation to keep you and the boys lookin fly

thaumaturgy to be mad spooky when you intimidate bitches

ray of frost is excellent for chilling ale.

I feel like, at least in my circle of friends, that kind of RP has been made worse by Critical Role. Travis Willingham's (admittedly brilliant) RPing of his barb who has a fucking 6 or 7 in INT and can't read was great RP, but it's led people to want to do that kind of thing a lot more.

I've had people with low INT or CHA scores, low being 8 or fucking 9, act like they're fucking retarded or like they're autstic motherfuckers unable to hold normal conversations with anyone.

Critical Role has made everything worse.

druidcraft for setting fires and putting them out, also predicting the weather

9-11 is about average imo, with 8 and 12 falling into slightly better/worse then normal.

The only PC's who have an excuse to act like a retard are Orcs with 6 INT, because even 7 is average for an Orc so this person is dumber then an Orc.

minor illusion is quite useful given some creativity.

>the dumbass fans who watch but don't play and/or don't know the rules make everything worse
fixed that for you.

>I would rather just tell people to not think too hard about their stats and play normally.
This is especially true when there's a wealth of things related to the ability score that a PC can accomplish even with an 8 in the score, before considering adding proficiency.

I think Grog is a really great example since he plays it dumb at times but can also be kind of smart when it comes to things he is familiar with, like mildly clever battle plans or dealing with his old family.

Of course many retards probably aren't really going to understand that or that as a professional actor Travis is better at actually making it work in a way that doesn't annoy the shit out of everyone else. Not to mention that game group is all friends who have been playing for years so they already have a good grasp of their group social dynamics

really though unless your character has lower than 8 in both INT and WIS there's really not much excuse to even try to play them off as a retard. If you want to do that, at least make sure there's another party member willing to kind of play as your leash when your character gets out of hand. My current group has a gnome who is overly bloodthirsty and gets aggressive over stupid shit so my character often ends up dragging him away by the collar from the NPC we are talking to before he causes a scene, but the player knows not to actually be a disruptive twat and we can make it work for some laughs without being retarded about it.

Would you allow Arcane Archers to use crossbows and hand-crossbows? I'm on the fence about it, desu.

speaking of subraces, do people prefer elves that are, on average, shorter than humans, or ones that are taller?

Nope, I know a lot of people wouldn't care though.

Personally I like that they still keep a handful of race and weapon restrictions for flavor, but not enough to make it annoying.

Prestidigitation is hands-down the greatest quality of life improvement you can get as a cantrip.
>Flavors your food
>Keeps your clothes clean
>Light and extinguish candles, lanterns, and campfires
>keep your robe cool in the sun, chills your waterskin for a refreshing drink
>keep your blankets warm at night, as well as your cloak in the winter
>mark something, like your place in a book
>create a picture in your hand
It's an infinitely refilling box of soap, spice, and tindertwigs that gives you A/C and heating with a sharpie and a camera duct taped to it. Also you can make it smell minty fresh!

Depends on the elf. High Elves are taller and more lithe than humans, Wood Elves tend to be the same height, and Drow are about the same as well.

I keep my elves at least 6' generally. Maybe shorter if its a wood elf but I have no real reason for that.

In a game with actual midget races elves seem fine being taller, and especially for high elves being tall and thin and somewhat androgynous feels right for them

Similar to slightly taller.

Towering over people is the domain of the half-orc and monstrous races.

I use the stats right out the book for them.

High Elves are about human height, Wood Elves are a tiny bit under and Drow are very short. Sea Elves are about the same as Wood Elves, Wild Elves are about the same as Drow.

I would also never play a human barbarian that wasn't at least 7' tall

Mold Earth and Shape Water are two of my favorites. Mold Earth is great for any ranged combatant, as it lets you create cover. Obviously it doesn't work everywhere, but it happens enough to pick up.

Shape Water is nice, because it allows you to drown people.

This is RAW and RAI Though DMs often fuck it up.

I want to roll a pure pact of the blade hexblade but there are a billion invocations and i don't know where to start

I've never played a caster before, although warlocks seem easier

Repelling blast
agonizing blast
eldritch spear

I prefer them shorter on average.

That's not what she said.

>7 feet tall
>average height for humans in D&D is roughly 5'9

I truly wish people would stop making their human/elf characters so tall. When the "averagely built human" in the group is supposedly 6'2, then the truly tall have to be 8 or 9 feet just to stay proportional.

if you want to do melee basically you're looking to get thirsting blade, improved pact weapon, eldritch smite and then lifedrinker later on.

I had nightmare that the 5e team announced they were going to start fleshing out firearms and their first UA for it was just making Matt Mercerâ„¢'s Gunslingerâ„¢ an official, AL-legal class

twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/934968437628997632

Nothing wrong with firearms in D&D, friendo, and a gunslinger class would be neat.

If you want to go hard on the melee aspect, you might consider (though it's not particularly optimal):
- thirsting blade
- improved pact weapon (particularly if your campaign is low on magic items)
- possibly eldritch smite
- lifedrinker

Shorter, like in the 3.5 art. I don't like the bog-standard fantasy humans-are-average-at-everything (also die early!), so having them be tall relative to every other non-bruiser race appeals to me. I'd even consider making some houserule variant human with str or cha baked in.

>start fleshing out firearms

Check out the DMG, they've already done that.

how am I supposed to play my gun and katana kensei without guns :^)

I don't like having negative scores on my character, so I sometimes "waste" an ASI to get to a '10' in my dump stat.

I've done it in almost every game i've ever played.

Is Resilient (Wisdom) worth taking on a Fighter? 9th level here, already got 20 in STR and CON, figure another save might not hurt.

Does it bother anyone that PHB average human height and weight assumes not only a modern distribution of nutrients in a diet, but a fairly regular intake of food at that? Even if we do assume regular humans are Caucasian here (The average measured height of a modern Sri Lankan woman is 4'11") (Economics and human biology, 2010), these humans, even for heroes, are way, way too well fed to fit in to any semblance of a European medieval context.

Which, by the way, should include hearty meals of water mixed with turnips or onions, and maybe some sawdust, at least in lean times.

Do you even magic?

this wasn't funny in the last thread either

It's not a terrible idea. There are, for instance, 3 spells in the PHB that require an intelligence save, compared to 40 that require wisdom saves. I don't remember the distribution for monsters, but the point is, it might be useful, especially if you've filled out your GWM/lucky/polearm master or whatever feats you need.

D&D is medieval fantasy so they have literal magic and shit to raise the quality of life

just ask to play a half-dragon

>He doesn't like having flaws

How are these replacement traits for the UA Revenant subrace's Relentless Nature?
1) At character creation, choose 2 elements linked to your past: 2 persons, 2 objects, or 1 person and 1 object.
Once per day, you may locate one of these elements. This power works as per the Locate Object and Locate Creature spell, but is not blocked by lead or running water.

2) Once a day, you may use a bonus action to spend a hit die and regain health as if you were taking a short rest.

3) A creature touching you or part of you (including a strand of your hair, one of your bones, etc.) may bring you back to life with 1 hit point. If you are at 0 hit points but not dead, the touch must last 1 action. If you are dead, the touch must last 1 hour (can be done during a short or long rest.)

it's a good save but fighters have so many good feats

you don't have to use them of course, so go for whatever. I've been considering it on my barbarian for dex saves since I already have danger sense and high dex, and have kind of been the point man in dungeons since everyone else is a mage or strength martial

How bad can lean times get when crop shortages can be prevented with a 3rd level spell?

if most 5eg posters dumped cha you wouldn't be able to tell if they were roleplaying or not

Tell me of this wondrous world where the powerful doll out magical favors for the poor and/or keep them hearty and strong enough to effect a rebellion.

What feats do you already have?
If you say 'no feats' then the answer is 'what the fuck are you doing with your life'

High Elfs are shorter, other elfs are taller.

forgotten realms

I also forgot
If the answer si that you have feats
Then
>rolling for stats
either way something's gone terribly, terribly wrong. Then again, having 2 20s with only 3 ASIs is impossible without rolling for stats or some sort of magic item bullshit.

Honest question: how many people here actually play in FR? Or rather, how many people actually enjoy playing in FR?

GWM is all i've got so far, used my ASIs so far to get my STR and CON to 20.

Would you take Lucky over Resilient?

d&d generally isn't medieval europe, it's a magical fantasy land. don't worry about it

i do

could be worse

They're called gods and there's probably literally a god of rebellions, if not a god currently planning a rebellion at any given time.

There's certainly a god of harvests, or good food and warm hearths, or whatever. There are demonstrably powerful, benevolent entities and the heroes around to protect their plans. Such is the D&D world.

And in other settings it works differently. If you want to play in a dark setting with little resources where everyone is scrounging for enough food and water to survive, you can do that and make the fluff you feel that world would have.

it's the only one I am at all familiar with. have played custom DM universes but they tend to feel similar to FR

unfortunately, because the forgettable realms are the official setting, and most people won't ever move to leave the cave they spend their lives in, the answers will be "nearly everyone;" and "nobody really enjoys themselves, but they just don't realize they're suffering."

So has anyone tried out the Oath of Redemption paladin from Xanathars? Haven't gotten the opportunity to try it out yet and wanted to know what first impressions you had with it as well as how it turned out.

Lucky is probably better than resilient since you can reroll your saves, though you already have that ability.
I'd probably suggest PAM, Sentinel or some sort of utility feat though that suits the character, such as ritual caster (wizard) or (cleric) or even multiclassing. With good con, you could multiclass a level into barbarian for unarmoured defence and get rage without having to worry about losing AC since you can't rage without wearing heavy armour.

with a couple of minor tweaks gunslinger would be fine, maybe combine it with artificer and make it into a subclass

I've been working on a ton of different 3.5 monster conversions while bored at work. I've had my MMIII with me and been writing the stats out on index cards so far. Just got to converting most of them into my monster maker. I want to be able to post these in the next week or so, or at least upload them to queue and autopost, so I would really like feedback on them. So I am making a separate thread to post them so that I don't spam this one with endless monsters. You can reply here or the other thread I don't care, just any feedback, or just let me know that X monster looks okay, no big concerns, so that I know I can go ahead with it. My biggest issues are with CR (I rely on a calculator and ad-hoc adjustments in my head) and wording / fitting normal expectations for how things work in 5e. Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback you guys might have. The blog is thirdtofifth.tumblr.com if you want to check it out, and if there's a monster from 3.5 you'd like to see converted to 5e, leave a reply and I'll try to get to it. I'm bookmarking the posts so that when they archive I can check for feedback. Thanks anons!

>PAM w/ GWM
Overkill, if he's already got GWM get Sentinel instead.

>BBEG dominate persons the paladin's honourable and gracious king
>Because they're an inferior non-PHB paladin they don't have an aura that saves their king
>king attacks you while your retribution abilities are up
>You outright fucking kill your king for attacking you, no remorse
>This is okay
>The king can't be revised because death revive curse shit

Play a real paladin.

Fighters are supposed to be good at damage, it's not a bad thing to make them even better at it by getting both PAM and GWM.

Sentinel kind of depends on the party.

Honestly his best option is to multiclass into barbarian, even if it's a one level dip.

i've set my game in FR but only because i'm a total newbie DM and I like having lots of material to draw upon. i've already added my own stuff like a far-off dragonborn archipelago empire anyway.

Counterspell is on the Retribution spell list

Fuck, *Redemption

I don't want to play sterile half breed and dislike their core limit of one draconic elements when they interbreed in lore until they all look alike with tentacle hair.

are there rules for choking?

Wayne Brady might have to choke a bitch.

Sort of? Suffocation rules are on p.183 of the PHB. You could probably combine it with grappling rules (p.195), so, sort of?

Look at drowning section and combine it with grappling.

Yeah, that much I figured, but there don't seem to be any official rules for going from (Grappling)--->(Suffocating).

I guess I could just refluff the rogue's sneak attack as choking and do non-lethal damage.

what do you roll to see if they get an erection?

bitches can't get boners.

Animal handling, of course.