MTG Rivals of Ixilan

So I'm happy about this. I've been hoping for a card attached to best pirate since he first showed up in the story, then they go and give him his own deck. Hope there's a monored card in the set, but this is pretty good too.
polygon.com/2017/12/5/16738902/magic-the-gatherings-rivals-of-ixalan-exclusive-new-cards-art

That's definitely the planeswalker deck version then.

+2 is ok
-3 is meh, it unusable outside of ixalan
-11 is cool and all, but his plus kinda weeds out some damage potential. its also not as game winning as vraska's ult

that said, I love the character design and will use the shit out it because flavor

This is the planeswalker card, purposefully designed to be a trash mythic that will only be played by new players who bought a trap product.

WotC has literally come out and said that they purposefully dialed the power level of planeswalker decks down to 'subpar' just to keep speculators from getting their grubby hands on them.

This is the planeswalker card purposefully designed to be a trash walker and go in the deck that comes with trash walker they print every set.

This is the best PW Deck walker so far and is a shoe-in for EDH Beckett Brass decks.

I have hope for a decent main set card from Angrath.

>Mono black Vraska.
Better not have broken up my OTP. Cool art though.

Holy shit, red Goblin Bear, with good art too!

she's apparently allied with vampires too. it's possible Jace's psychic seisure did some fuckery to her, or just that she's gone full "at any cost" black to get herself and jace out of whatever they're caught in with orazca. or just that the planeswalker deck version is the broad strokes vraska and doesn't really apply.

Don't read too much into it.
The Jace deck had him allied with merfolk which he never did.

I play most formats and love shitting on wotc, but I'm having a hard time finding issues with this practice.

Most new players are Timmys and there's clearly a market for the new pw decks. Why do they have to be competitive and good?

this is good.
wish there was a tribal "2/2" commander / captain and gave all "2/2"s something unique...

>hear about Minotaur pirate
>Oh boy Neheb EDH is getting a boost
Seeing it is just disappointing but I'm grabbing it. Probably won't using but Minotaurs and pirates are cool

this is the planeswalker deck version, there's a decent chance he gets a different version in the set proper.

I see the MtG card frame/background is still as hideous as ever.

The art effects for the colors and multi-color cards look like something out of a 12 year old's first website design.

post a better alternative of stay seated my man

literally any other card game, pleb

So this art belongs to a new card that's type is labeled Vampire, but her skin looks normal. So is this the effects of the Immortal Sun (turning the vampires into immortal humans) or the Artist just messed up?

yes, let us discuss the vastly superior aesthetics of literally any other card game.

The argument is that WotC shouldn't introduce players to the game with purposefully bad cards that get crushed in any meta outside of kitchen table.

they are fun to play with against each other. it's an introduction. you and a friend buy them and learn to play and have a blast. if you want to move into more competitive stuff you buy some boosters and fix up your planeswalker deck. that teaches you some deck construction. it's a process and it's pretty well designed.

Here's hoping the former. The Legion needs to win.

It's a pretty good argument frankly. As soon as little Tammy wanders into the wide open ocean her deck is going to be eaten alive, and that won't leave a good feeling.

Magic is great at sucking people in to look at it with cool art, and great at retaining players that stick with it for more than a few months, but that first little hurdle of 'my cards aren't as good and I got mana screwed again' is a long term problem they are still wrestling with.

This is a stupid argument. the planeswalker decks aren't supposed to be an intro to tourney grinding, they're an intro to the game of magic. they are functional, have a theme and goal, allow access to their centerpiece cards with the rare search effects and being below peak power level, they provide room for growth and for new players to learn what does and does not work in a deck.
Are you proposing a starter deck should be competitive with meta archetypes (which WotC may or may not actually be able to predict) and a new player should just be able to intuit why that is or isn't the case? or that an introductory deck for new players should be a driving force in the secondary market and competitive deckbuilding? because both of those things actually sound stupid.

waste of card stock

100% I am hoping they do, they are the best lore and design wise aesthetics, but I think they ae going to do some lame pirates win but give the sun to the natives bs.

There were humans with the faction. Could be a human.

C U T E
U
T
E

Legion is the best

the card is a vampire

Does Vraska go full evil or smth? The new planeswalker art kinda looks like it

nope, vampire

>Are you proposing a starter deck should be competitive
Yes?

They do a perfectly good job of themed, semi-competitive decks in Commander. The upgrade it over time argument still applies there. So respectfully, I disagree with you completely and you are literally Hitler, unless you're a /pol/ack in which case you're literally John Podesta.

I'm thinking the artist just mess up on this. it varied even in the last set just exactly how pale they were.

>They do a perfectly good job of themed, semi-competitive decks in Commander.
>semi-competitive

those decks aren't very good out of the box. they are literally the commander version of planeswalker decks. you are comparing apples to apples and declaring an inequity. edh is just a more complicated format.

Angrath was pretty obviously meant to RB so I doubt he's gonna be monored in the set. I very much like that he's RB but not a bad guy heart. I'm very interested in where he's from. He doesn't look like any place's minotaurs. He's the most humanoid one I've ever seen in Magic. Pretty much all human except a bull head. Most minotaurs in Magic at least have bull's hind legs.

>muh action women
for fuck sake

Oh fuck off

Either it's really cold or she has pierced nipples.

>you are comparing apples to apples and declaring an inequity
That's a fair counterpoint. But honestly the Commander decks feel more playable out of the box in a pickup game at the local store than the walker decks do. That's just me though.

>Wasting that fucking amazing Vraska art on a memewalker deck card.
THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY

that's the planeswalker from the starter deck.

Fuck off CIA stop false flagging or whatever it is you're doing.

The art is fucking beautiful.

I just think the decks need to have card consistence, like run more 4 and 3 of each card so that new players understand the value of a good curve and opening hand probability, also for the love of God throw some shitty card sleeves in there, so kids can learn the value of sleeves

I am jaded sexist asshole and I like these cards, the girls are at least cute and not an butt ugly kangz

I don't like the art. She's too centered and the margins make her shape look too thin, almost squeezed in.

Right? I appreciate the value of a low powered deck that has cards that teach everything, but then that needs to be followed through on.

Teaching Magic to new players can be difficult. It is admittedly probably very overwhelming to those of us who haven't been playing since we were nine.

I want to fuck Vraska!

>Fantasy Conquistadors
>In 2017 diversity-agenda MtG

...Well, actually, probably not too far a stretch. WotC's certainly not averse to letting the bad guys win. I give them even odds, maybe better than even if they can get tied in with the overarching Nicol Bolas (or perhaps Phyrexia?) villain plotline.

> she's a speedster

I thought Samut was a man

>Angrath was pretty obviously meant to RB
I never got much of a black vibe from him at all. he uses superheated chains to fight, most of his interactions have been "hey, you're like me, let's be friends" with various levels of violent, misunderstood monster-man. I also saw somewhere that he was a blacksmith before getting stuck on ixilan and turning to piracy, but that may have just been fanon and/or some bullshit.
yes, obviously. that's why I said I was hoping for a monored card in the set. it's possible he doesn't get a second card at all. it's not keeping with their form so far on planeswalker decks, but he hasn't had a huge part in the story so far, and I'd honestly welcome walkers unique to the planeswalker decks using less prominent characters rather than shoehorning in as many as possible and doubling up on the same character just because.

It's a vampire. They're fast and strong, and can do shit like that. So fucking go back to /pol/ and tell them you're an abject failure of a human being and need to be killed and eaten so that you don't infect anyone else with your stupidity.

This card is so weak compared to

Considering the concept for ixalan started with them, I'm not surprised they're definitely the coolest and most fleshed out faction I think. I am surprised however that they have pretty much just been buttmonkeys in the actual stories, for that same reason.

from flavor text angrath came across as very wrathful. red can be destructive but it's usually more gleeful.

Angrath became a pirate because it was fastest way to find and amass the power to get off Ixalan. That's black.

Also yes, iirc the story where he meets Huatli explains he was blacksmith trapped on Ixalan and unable to get back to his family. That's another part of him that's black-- willingness to do anything, like partake in piracy, to get what he wants. What makes him a cool RB character is his blackness isn't just being mean or evil.

Where does he come from?

[[[killed and eaten]]]
Did the Canaanites play traditional games?

We don't know yet. He doesn't particularly resemble minotaurs from any known place. His name hints perhaps a relation to Tahngarth (I'd almost consider a failure if he wasn't because of how close they are phonetically, they're usually much more careful about shit like that) which suggests Dominaria which is obviously coincidentally the next set, but that's total speculation. Also, Tahngarth has bull's hindquarters, whereas Angrath seems to have human legs. Someone suggest Zendikar, where there's been mages with a propensity for chain magic, but the Minotaurs from there are totally bestial, so probably not.

Generic pose and centered character just reminds me of an alternate-universe Nahiri.

>Angrath
>wrathful
>Angry+Wrath
>Angrath
GEE, I WONDER WHY.

he could be from regatha, which would tie him to jaya balard.

Nah, red is wrathful, both pure anger and gleeful like Rakdos or something. The difference is the calculation. Compare Nahiri's anger during SOI block, where she was completely caught up in the rage. Black is wrathful but is more careful and doesn't let rage overtake them.

when i first saw it I thought 'you can abuse the ult', but then i realized that you can abuse better things for easier wins.

>Angrath became a pirate because it was fastest way to find and amass the power
>willingness to do anything, like partake in piracy
that's a lot of conjecture, honestly. it's not made clear why he became a pirate. pic related and hijack make it sound like he became a pirate less as a means to an end and more as a result of not wanting to conform. pic related even says he's not out for power, his life of piracy is just a long, drawn-out tantrum against the plane itself. Hijack makes clear that freedom is his goal. he's not a pirate because he's willing to pay any cost, he's a pirate because he's railing against his surroundings, more literally than the average freebooter. all of that is red, through and through.

How adorable are minotaur daughters, really?
muh doubling season...

forgot my pic

Thank God that's just the Planeswalker deck card.

>bring them presents back
I thought Wizards was going for the angle of objects couldn't be taken across planes? Wasn't that why Tezzeret was looking for portal technology?

Not wanting treasure doesn't necessarily mean he isn't interested in power (the power to escape). Treasure isn't going to help him escape. Also he is red too so he's going to feel red as well.

Also I just realized the coincidence of him being in RB, the colors least able to deal with Ixalan's Binding, an enchantment.

objects have always been able to travel across planes (though imagine the terminator-esque scene if every planeswalker lost their outfit when they traveled), it's non-planeswalking people that are the holdup.

God I hate being at my LGS when new players are asking about using their planeswalker decks against people using actual constructed decks.

OH I get samut's aesthetic now.
She's running from the KKK! It all makes sense now!

We don't know what the portal technology was for. Also we know walkers can carry objects through planes. Kiora took Thassa's bident for example.

She's not even Egyptian. Fuck diversity

>bad decks are more viable in casual: the format than competitive

Pretty hard to explain how Kiora stole Thassa's Biden then

the portal is likely going to be used to transport nicol bolas' army of crystal skeletons.

the portal is also a very nice way to get around the forcefield created by ixalan's binding. with the two artifacts combined you can control who goes where and when.

Is you sayin.. wait.. is you sayin... we WASN'T kangz????

i just discovered that there weren't even any dragons in ancient egypt. can you believe that?? it's like they are just making this stuff up.

Egyptian people hate Africans. They would be pissed to see WotC shitting all over their heritage.

> 2024
> Return to Kamigawa set
> Japanese plane
> 50% black

kys

>We also introduced six legendary Elder Dinosaurs who evolved separately from the colorful-feathered dinosaurs of the plane.”
>6 elders
>They don't have feathers
Interesting. Especially the 6 thing. We have two mono color ones which leads into there probably being 3 others, but what does that make the last one?

It's implied it's to get the Eternals that Bolas made on Amonkhet from place to place.

Ixalan would make a great torture plane for your enemies.

>Mark II

fuck you.
hes like a better goblin raider.
suck my dick.

this guy knows whats up. better prepare for the goblin pirate lord legend.

I hope it's an artifact.

Colorless or 5 colors

I've been wondering if the winged being they keep referring which is obviously either bolas or ugin is bolas or ugin. If they don't ever clarify and the last one is colorless, I guess it'll be obvious.

5 color.

it's not just disinterest in treasure, but interest in destruction and mayhem. total destruction as a result of nihilism is BR, as with rakdos, but just wanting to watch the world burn in chaos and anarchy is mono-red, which is more in line with the description of Angrath's actions. moreover the description of him being previously a family man and a loving father bringing gifts to his daughters makes him sound like a more emotionally driven character. at worst he was a mono-red character that was forced to adopt black's philosophy to cope with his situation, but I don't think that's the case. It seems far more accurate to say he was on the creative, caring side of red's emotional spectrum, but then when put under pressure and stress he slid to the angry, wrathful and destructive side of the same spectrum.

Angrath's Fury is pretty damn powerful card compared to most of the cards from these decks.

>implying WotC isn't using the shittiest card stock possible

Compares nicely to that 1BR kaladeh card

Yup. Fuck the eternals are cool. I mean, it's not remotely original or anything, it's like if wizards made a card called [[Skeleton Computer]] but the art was so mind blowing that they earned it.

A+

You can be B and love and care for your family. It just depends on how you do that. Also aspects of RB manifest in many different ways. Being a nihilistic hedonist isn't the only way to RB, and you can be RB in ways that other characters or factions aren't. I can't think of any good RB examples since RB tends to be very one note in Magic, but for example, the Simic are GU in a very different way than the River Heralds are GU.