What's some dumb shit you've heard over the years in the hobby? Bonus points if it's about design philosophy

What's some dumb shit you've heard over the years in the hobby? Bonus points if it's about design philosophy.

One of the worst for me is
>classes don't fit sci-fi or cyberpunk games
Listen dipshit classes don't actually fit anything in particular, they're a game design tool to keep shit consistent within a path, to say that it doesn't fit x or y genre is not only redundant, but unimaginative as well

alternatively, the opposite
>point-buy and classless systems don't fit into medieval high fantasy games
so you're saying there's absolutely no way to pull off medieval fantasy without resorting to classes, completely ignoring the past 30 years of videogames that have proven you wrong time and time again

>the past 30 years of videogames that have proven you wrong time and time again

Or, you know, the classless pen and paper fantasy RPGs.

The single stupidest thing I ever had was a player pulling me aside after a game to lecture me about dungeon design. It apparenltly violated some sacred rule to have the players go through a necropolis built into a hill such that the king's chambers and all the best loot (and nastiest defenses) were up at the top instead of down at the bottom. EVERYONE knows that you make things nastier as you descend, not ascend.

>d20 roleplaying is on a whole different level than other forms of roleplaying

best one i have had heard is
"One class and race must be overpowered because that creates roleplay"

second best was one faggot complaining that a "paladin was worshipping two gods" in a system where there was no penalty for doing so, and the system was classless.

All things I've actually heard:
>Magic Missile is the best spell! It always hits!
>Fighters are overpowered, a sword never runs out of spell slots!
>You should multiclass your cleric with a monk!

>Edh is meant to be a consistent format
>4th edition isn't DND because it's not like 3.5
>I should be able to play a character that's good at hiding in shadows but bad at stealth
>Pretty much anything anyone says about warlocks, especially if they are trying to get around having having some sort of draw back

>caster supremacy doesn't exist
>caster supremacy is realistic
Which is it? You can't have both. Make up your goddamn mind.

>peanut brain: difficulty descends
>normal brain: difficulty ascends
>galaxy brain: entrance in the middle

takesh manafutae did nothing wrong, ltierally anyone with 1.2/th of a braincell whould realize that literally nothing could saving grace the 3.5 series and then there was rule 0 to explain anything. ruleslawerfags btfo

>quantum super multiverse brain: you're looking for the exit, not the entrance

>There's no reason to learn any other system, I can just homebrew anything using the D&D 3.5e rule set.

>DnD 5e is how DnD should be, it fixes all the problems of previous editions!

The amount of drones who unironically believe this is staggering.

What problems didn't it fix? And what shouldn't have been changed from previous editions?

First of all there's a concept called complexity and theme.

Basically if I wanna play a 'simple' spellcasting class where I don't have a ton of options and just fall back on old reliable then I have only a few options and even the closest ones are still midtier complex.

But if I wanted to say, play a martial class that has any amount of complexity?

The answer is a big ol' fuck you.

Caster supremacy
HP bloat
The skills system (it actually made it worse)
Martials still being boring as piss and having no options
Injury/disease/poison being trivial
CR is still busted as fuck
Feats balance is terrible, with a few "must haves" and then mostly shit
Basically no character customization outside of feats
Completely redundant classes that are just worse versions of other classes (Sorcerer, Ranger, ect)
You get magic for reading books, for having magic blood, for making pacts with demons, for worshipping gods, for believing in yourself, for being a hippie, for being able to GODDAMN SING. Make up your fucking mind on how magic works. Am I gonna get magic because I ate a sandwich?
Forgetten Realms is the default setting, and a steaming garbage heap so full of Mary Sues like Drizzt and Mordkainen that you wonder why the players even exist when these demigods could solve every problem ever.
One of the creators of the 5e (Mike Mearls) himself hates bonus actions and how action economy works, and he helped make the fucking game.

The list goes on and on... seriously, try playing some RPGs that AREN'T based on DnD. Yeah, they have problems of their own, but as a frame of reference they help break the DnDrone mindset of 5e being some godly perfect system that can do no wrong. Shit with sprinkles is still shit.

AD&D still works just fine.

I have. I like PF. If you don't like the fact that I've played and enjoyed plenty of games, and still enjoy PF, too bad.

>Make up your fucking mind on how magic works
>Different forms of magic can't be different
I'm going to have to add this to my list of most retarded things I've heard players say

>d&d is good
Nearly vomited.

>D&D is always bad
I don't care what you think.

>Numenera is a classless system!
Yeah, alright, sure.

Wait, you've told this story before. Or is it a pasta?

Magic missile is still nice for dealing with specters and wraiths and shit. Considering they are immune to most SoDs as well as shit like web.

>DnDrone desperately tries to strawman defend his game having a million forms of magic rather than a coherent sensible system that follows a unified set of rules and design principles.

>DnDrone literally tries to defend Bards getting music because they can play a lute and Warlocks getting magic because they have the devil on speed-dial.

>Bards getting music because they can play a lute
How dare they.

I mean, I wouldn't want to carry a shitton of gold upstairs, and a bunch of mortal workers might not want to either, but a crazy lich would do it to show off, especially when his workers don't complain.

Naga please, making a deal with the devil for magical powers is classic shit.

>the Black Templars are heretical because they don't follow the Codex Astartes

>The Eldar created the Orks, and are also the Old Ones

>I'm gonna use the IH chapter tactics as basically FnP even though it's a +6 roll but that's just not good enough

I think for a second I almost knew what it felt like to have the Black Rage, to try to explain to a person how that is wrong on a number of level.

>This innocuous thing is bad wrong fun.
Really? This is your big argument? Something that can be chalked up to "this is how it works in my setting" or "this is how this works in this pre-written setting" triggers you this much?

How dare someone make a deal with demons to get otherworldly powers.

Oh wait, that's how MANY magic stories and myths go, with variations

I kinda get what user is saying though, if only in the sense that the distinctions between class spell lists seems incredibly arbitrary at time. Why can Wizards not learn Cure Wounds, for example? Because it's "holy" magic? Well, that doesn't make sense because Bards and Druids and Mystics get it. Why can a bard not learn Fireball but can learn Heat Metal? Why is the Sorcerer spell list literally just the wizard spell list with some of the good stuff ripped out?

You get too many competing types of fluff and explanation and soon everything just feels like one big messy clusterfuck, as opposed to settings with more unified magic systems like Elder Scrolls, where all magic works one way instead of trying to have a dozen different avenues that each operate on their own weird rules and competing, often non-sensical, logic.

>can only defend a single poorly written and incomplete example that's been listed.
Glad we agree fucko

I'm going to have to actually agree with the first one. As someone who rolls INCREDIBLY badly in-game (I've had characters actually crit themselves to death, that's how bad my rolls can be) a combat spell that doesn't require rolling is damned nice.

TL;DR: Force Missile Mage is my bishi.

>Clever little fucker brain: It's sealed. There is no entrance or exit.

>You should multiclass your cleric with a monk!
>not wanting to play a Kung-Fu Friar

It's the latter of course, real life casters haven't lost a single battle with non-casters in the entire history.

>How dare someone study magic for years to get otherwordly powers
>How dare somone belong to an inately magical bloodline
>How dare holy magic
>How dare nature magic
>How dare Orpheus and the Pied Piper
and
>How dare magic from consumables
>oh
>wait

>Age of Sigmar is a good setting
>Fyreslayers, Kharadon Overlords and Stormcast are cool
someone has to state the obvious

>trash-talking kharadron overlords

I don't get it. Was the entrance still at the easy part (bottom in this case)? So you were still going from easy to difficult, tension-wise, he was just complaining about the geometrical configuration?

>[a type of elf] is not how you do elves, if you don't do [another type of elf] you are a filthy dwarfag/humanfag/imperiumfag/not-true-elfag/etc.

A this point, I would end settling for the orcs of Tolkien, because nobody bitches about them unless Shadow of Mordor is brought up.

It fixed some complexity issues then unfixed everything that got fixed in 4e.

>there is nothing original, everything has been done before
Yes a finite amount of people working a finite amount of time have literally produced everything that could ever exist already. It is such a fruitless try at a truism.
And the fucking sentiment of "don't try to be creative" behind it.

>my girlfriend is not an object, in character or out of it

You're a fucking retard, the point behind the saying is that novelty has no inherent value, doing something differently in an attempt to be novel is as hollow as doing something the same as it's always been done. You should aim for quality above all else.

MTG: every set has to be made for draft! Except they don’t put in useful stuff in, just the usual crap. When they do this too their reprint sets, its fucking horrible.

Most of Veeky Forums's opinions on D&D. Every edition has it's flaws, but then you have retards who come out of the woodwork to talk about how it's irredeemable garbage for having hit points, or how having spells means you can literally not apply them creatively. I'm not exaggerating on that second one, I've literally seen someone here argue that you can't be creative with defined spells. Veeky Forums seems to be, as a whole, incapable of separating personal tastes on what is un/fun to them from objective facts as to what is good/bad design. And so many people seem to be under the impression that the second you try a system other than D&D, you'll be free of a painful weight you didn't know you were subject to and finally be able to have "real" fun.
Actually now that I think of it, pretty much any discussion Veeky Forums has had on game design or mechanics has been a font of stupidity.

It avoids the tedium of the old and familiar, which is a point of value.
It expands our selection of choices, which is another.
It fulfills a niche that was previously unsupplied.
And the assumption that something new will automatically compromise quality is something you added.

I've told it before, happened realistically recently too.

Yes. It is "wrong" to go up and not down in a purely geometric sense, according to senor moron.

Relatively* stupid autocorrect.

Ask him what he thinks of dungeons that take place in wizards' towers

> thinks all melee classes are simple without options
> apparently never heard of monks or battle master fighters

monk is a stun baton, and with battlemaster you are not playing to your strengths if you do anything but best maneuver.

Well, the monk is a stun baton when you get it. Takes a while to turn up, before then you are not even that.

I'm thoroughly convinced that a significant amount of Veeky Forums posters are theorycrafters with no group to play with, or groups that are plain terrible. And they deserve that.

"Options" is another word for "spells" with these people, don't bother trying to convince them otherwise. You could list every single option martials have and it would just be met with "doesn't count."

this is pasta everyone, a stale one at that

>>DnDrone literally tries to defend Bards getting music because they can play a lute and Warlocks getting magic because they have the devil on speed-dial.
>What is pan twardowski

You forgot about pic related, and jesus counts too.

What is grappling?
What is battlemaster?
What is a crit fishing build?
What is Barbarian?

>DnDrone literally tries to defend Bards getting music because they can play a lute

...do you not know a lute is a musical instrument? It makes music when you play it.

Hey no one's ever made a setting where everyone has dicks on their foreheads! My Dickicorn setting avoids the tedium of the old and familiar, it's inherently good!

>battle master fighters
Wow, it can do the things that everyone could do in 3e! Amazing!

Hp doesn't represent damage, it's also your ability to parry, and how much stamina you have before you get tired and I will now ignore how it fails in all of those aspects when used outside of a very narrow straight up fighting encounter.

The worst part is sorcery. There is no reason not to give them the same spell list as wizards.
Metamagic is already legalese tier to prevent any abuse the designers didn't want you to be able to do. Can't even have multiple metamagic on the same spell.

dice is acceptable thing in game

>implying Dickicorns are original

A thing can have positive qualities and still be bad in sum.

That reminds me of "AC isn't a vague conceptual amalgam of dodge and defense, it's a representation of both at the same time and it has a solid foundation of why it works that way." when I was talking about games with dodge and armor handled separately and why it made more sense than AC.

It would be interesting to see what happens if you'd stick with that narrow definition of HP consistently i.e. it applies only in combat and, say, falling damage bypasses it completely.

>I describe a PC falling 40ft and snapping his neck before exploding into jelly and then get confused when the roll is only for 8 damage

>Wow, it can do the things that everyone could do in 3e! Amazing!
Bullshit.

What "everyone" could do in 3E is get smacked in the fucking face and forfeit their action (and sometimes worse) as punishment for trying to do something besides HP damage without spending their very small amount of character building options of a particular type on the thing that gives them the right to choose a single type of non-HP-damage-dealing attack to pay even more character building resources on being allowed to attempt without it being full-stop retarded to do so.

The 5th edition paradigm of "everyone can do most of these things, but a battle master can do them, probably succeed more often, and also still deal damage" is a major fucking improvement.