/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General:

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove (Xanathar's PDF included)
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools is kill, use local copies until someone else decides to host it.
Last update- mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/ Elf civilization: wat do

Did mistake-user kill himself?

>Elf civilization
Remove elf

Possibly. I made this thread to honor his attempt.

Sub 10 intelligence score means the PC cant read.

>still using the spooky theme

Why don't shadow monks get something like devils sight?

How may themes are there? I assume that the ones listed aren't the only ones.

wouldn't be suprised if the april fools Google+ theme was still hidden out there, shit was hilarious

Personally I try to play up that elves are an alien civilization with an alien mindset. They aren't just humans with pointy ears, elegant features and long life spans. They are a race completely different from others due to their Fey ancestry, which is why the bulk of their empire resides within the Fey Wild. To most races of the world they are dying out and slightly odd to deal with, the only reason they think this is because they only have contact with either outcasts of the bulk of elven society or the group that are simply diplomats to the world at large. The elves who are truly elves and live within their own society are far different than what most of the world will ever interact with.

it really doesn't make much sense, but considering darkness and devil's sight are such a strong combo i guess they were trying to push the player toward more creative uses of darkness

still it's easy enough to grab warlock 2 on a shadow monk without missing much, just takes a while

Help how do I stop being an autist who can't play anything but minmax characters

Pick parts of your personality and exaggerate into full blown characters.

Start by rolling your stats.

Instead of sitting down and planning out your character throw one together thirty minutes before the game starts.

Describe a neat character, not a pile of stats but a character that you'd reading a book or watch in a show. Maybe even write him out in terms of backstory and adventure style. Hand off that sheet to the DM or someone you can trust and tell them to make a character based off of that.

Then when it comes time to level, have that same friend or DM make choices for you based off of what's happened or is happening in the narrative.

Finally, relax and enjoy your character. You don't have to win at D&D.

Rolled 5, 12, 9, 2, 2, 4 = 34 (6d20)

Ok

Pick a class

Now pick a race that doesn't have a boost to that class's primary or secondary stat.

Roll stats in order, so the first one you roll is strength, second is dex, etc. Take one of your proficiencies and make a character out of it. For example if you have proficiency in cook's utensils make a character who wants to become a master chef or something.

Alright, now play as something that isn't an elf/half-elf or a variant human.

Rolled 4, 13, 16, 17, 15, 7 = 72 (6d20)

Check this kobold barbarian

With those stats he's going to be playing a vegetable.

>6d20

Check my orc wizard

>6d20
>Not 3d6 down the line
Already fucked it up

I can't get over the "translucent dice are more unbiased" meme. Help

Rolled 12, 19, 15, 2, 14, 17 = 79 (6d20)

>tfw too dumb to roll stats

I don't understand

>0 INT

>too dumb to roll stats properly

show us how it is done then?

start being an autist who can't play anything but really jank multiclasses build combinations that barely work

>d20
You keep fucking that up, kiddo. d20 =/= 3d6

>I'm a newfag, the post
Lurk mor

Rolled 6, 5, 6, 4, 1, 5, 4, 1, 4, 1, 1, 5, 1, 3, 4, 2, 1, 1 = 55 (18d6)

Ok

you have to keep it

See Roll for stats is at LEAST 4d6b3

How are you generating the stats using your post number?

There is a chance of bubbles inside solid dice.

Have you tried taking abilities for flavor and roleplay reasons instead of what you would personally take?
>inb4 Stormwind Fallacy
Stop "roleplaying" as characters that magically know the most effective options via metaknowledge and the problem goes away

>player is leaving the table because of his new job
>another player had to visit his family for the weekend
>we organized a good bye session just for the first player
>it's his last possible weekend to play with us for a long time
>he cancels the session because of the second player visiting family
>another player always acts like a bitch every time we try to play outside of the weekend
>he's always playing video-games during the week
>me and the fourth player are always up to it
>DM never lets us invite new players and doesn't want to have a session with at least four players

Start fucking player 4 and breed more players and a DM.

No one wants to calculate stats, it's easier for anyone to see if you roll d20s. And you get comical results too

No one rolls d20s unironically

Has anyone else finished ToA? Did you find the Tomb of the Nine Gods to be underwhelming and boring as fuck compared to the port and the jungle?

Considering a stupid way to roll:

>24d6, drop lowest 6.
>Assign dice as you want, using 3 dice for each stat.

Ensures a high primary stat, gives a lot of flexibility to the player.

This is specifically for a level 12 campaign. They will have a lot of ASIs, so they'll have max in their main stat anyway at this point.

Whats a good mechanical servant for an artificer?

Playing a kobold artificer in ToA so I'm thinking if im light enough i could make it a mechanical giant vulture and act as a semi air cavalry dropping vials like B52s over Vietnam

better question. Can a kobold ride a giant vulture?

Just make a class based off and around the tinker racial trait that gnomes get.

>Whats a good mechanical servant for an artificer?
roomba

I ran a Vulture using Alchemist and it was fun. Pack tactics on a mount made it much better in melee than I expected. The big problem is the bombs have a very very limited range and the cantrip style save means some rounds you just feel like you wasted your turn

Giant Owl or Eagle, but due to the limited range and Save or nothing effects though you might find yourself unable to do much with those or find you wasted your action/turn. I will warn you, I just had a player who tried this out and they were not having the best of times as they felt somewhat useless in combat.

They ended up switching to this homebrew class instead and played a Warsmith which they are loving.

If a giant vulture is medium than by RAW yes.

Where should I look for player Orc magic or shamanism?

Just refluff druid or sorcerer or cleric I think.

I'm playing a Halberd-wielding Battlemaster and we're level 4 next session.

I'm hesitating between polearm master and +2 STR. Normally I'd choose the first (more attacks, sign me the fuck up)... But the DC increase for my maneuvers would be pretty good.

I figure this is a pretty standard dilemma, any thoughts?

Half-orc war cleric or moon druid

GWM and spam precision attack

Thanks, yeah the rolls have been tough some times but i've been pretty lucky with the rolls so far. Plus due to the fact that the party has no clerics i've kinda become the defacto healer.

try witchcraft, you become more sensory based but really helpful if you choose circle of blood

More options > a +1 every time. Those +1s don't mean as much as you'd think.

Fighters get more than enough ability score increases for you to get the feat you want and 20 str. As long as you plan on going past level 5.

So what's the dl on 5e tools?
I have a game tomorrow I can't reliably prep without

Check the OP post.

>due to the fact that the party has no clerics
This seems important for Artificers. I don't know if the Artificer would enjoy themselves as much if there is a full caster who can support + be a damage dealer in the party. My group has a Life Cleric and the Artificer felt even more unnecessary with that in mind. We don't have a Wizard so I'm curious if they would work well together or would the Wizard just outclass the Artificer too much.

DMCA'd.

See thread op for a copy you can run locally.

>Player in my group legit thought you were supposed to
>Was offered help for character creation
>Has worst stats in party, we think he just rolled shit
>Was offered to reroll when we found out it what he did
>He refused
>It's a year later, he's still alive and helpless

Say what you will, the man knows how to commit.

What is the best Paladin Oath and why is it Oath of Ancients?

Humble Bundle just put up a 5e third party supplement bundle.

Are any of these worth the money?

Because they're immortal.

I think it is because OoA with its rather vague tenets fits more society where nothing is sacred and everything is permitted.

No, he doesn't. His character became the champion of the plague god because it was offered. His character became a servitor of the evil god of death (the BBEG) because it was offered. His character became a servitor of the good goddess of death (who he got killed) because it was offered. His character became the host of the very essence of nothingness because it was offered. All he commits to is shitty decisions (which often result in lost hands).

Oath of Conquest is literally the most fun paladin.

Fuck WotC. I'm so glad I switched to Pathfinder. Fucking money grubbing assholes.

Rolled 7, 14, 6, 18, 18, 20, 10 = 93 (7d20)

You forgot to roll for starting level.
STR/DEX/CON/WIS/CHA/INT/LEVEL
Check my Glamour Bard.

You might as well just give them an 18 and have them roll 4d6 drop lowest for the rest at that point.

>Third party supplement
>Worth it
No

>tools is kill
I run it from my phone tho. Fuck

It is not very paladiny, though.

In fairness they have every right to take it down, it's a bunch of illegally copied content that in essence alleviates the need to ever buy a physical product.

I'm not disagreeing that WotC are massive sellouts, but this isn't an example of that.

come up with a genuinely appealing character you would use in something other than d&d and then build it as close as you can with the tools you have

Of course it is.

Personally never saw the tenants as vague, just not defined in being about honor and justice.

Comfy nature guys that talk to birbs and pick flowers.

They could just do what Paizo does. Make it limited to physical for a time then release it online, and require the book for AL. Clearly it's working for them. But no, WotC and Hasbro just wanna suck their players dry.

>2017 is our most successful year ever!
>MORRRRRREEEEE

ignore the fact that I bought all the books and still use 5e tools.

its a long story with us

just started dnd recently after some coaxing from a friend, hes the other artificer in the group albeit the gunslinger.

The rest of the party was rounded out by a monk a warlock, a druid, and a ranger. All originally kobolds because of the groupthing. Ranger died and his replacement died, current character is now a half orc whose class i forget, and the monk died during a fight with the zombie trex and was replaced with a halfling beastmaster.

I originally wanted to be a gunslinger but i sacrificed my wants for the better of the group, and i havent really regretted it. Between Tanglefoot and Alchemical fire, I've managed to do some pretty good AOE support and crowd control with the druid in his giant spider form when he silk binds.

Aside from that its mostly the spells ive slotted that have done wonders. Sanctuary saved our druid's ass during the froggy lake temple genocide. Healing touch is a no brainer.

The bigger question (and again sorry if im talking out of my ass because i dont know shit) Can I use dual pistols like my friend or is it impossible, because i really hate this light crossbow ATM

I don't know, Beyond Damage Dice feels like it should have been in the base game.

I'm not saying that you didn't, I'm just saying that it means you can access all of their material without paying for any of it, which is entirely unjustifiable.

It sucks for people who actually did buy the books, like me and you, but I get it.

They are doing it obviously to promote their own product, which would be more agreeable practice if:
-said product was actually good.
-said product wasn't something you already have, but in different package

Wizards are a bunch of cunts, look no further than MtG for further proof and the watering down of set value.

This, I'll never pay for something I already bought just in an online format.

What's the context?

I'm having this problem. Eventually I decided on a Wood Elf Kensei so I can play a subpar class without REEEing, but I still don't get the whole role of Monks and it's hard not to compare one to my Halberd Paladin.

Go look at the last thread

Most of those titles appear to be in the trove, so try before you buy?

Is there a good-aligned god that seeks to promote good aggressively? It seems that good deities sit on their thumbs until Asmodeus comes to make things interesting...

Most monks are mobility cc machines, their main job is to pick a target in the back line, mage or ranged fighter, and get up in his shit. If they can't do that then they try and help the other party members by locking down a target or two either to help keep the squishies safe, or to ease the burden off the other members. Unfortunately haven't ran a Kensai so I can't really say what they're best at.

Depends on the setting

I think the Light is pretty open to interpretation, but i won't argue.

They have right to do so, but i don't think it is good decision, is all, as it hurts their customers as well as pirates. I also wonder how much pirates will actually spend their bucks now.

Did you finish as a DM or a player? I've read ToA, and plan to run it, but I would be interested to hear your critique of the Tomb of the Nine Gods.

Name one.