When you GM, do you restrict classes to certain races? Why or why not?

When you GM, do you restrict classes to certain races? Why or why not?

Does not some races have inherent advantages to being a certain class? Then again, maybe that was just a feature of the shadowrun returns pc game. Anyways, for me it would depend on the setting and the lore. Like say I would not allow a undead character to be a paladin or a cleric, or Something along these lines. I would also perhaps give bonus to races that would logically be better at certain classes, like say giving the hippie connection with nature elf an bonus to being a druid or something like that. But Keep in mind I never GM'd before, this is just what I would do if I were to.

Do whatever you want, just make the backstory not shit and make it fit into the world.

Depends on the setting

Generally no. I wouldn’t bat an eue unless it’s really wild or is just blatant min-maxing.

When I design oneshots though, I restrict races and available classes for the sake of a story that can make sense.

Unless something about a particular race makes it impossible for them to learn the skills that make up a class there's no reason to ever do this.

>not playing a Gnome Barbarian

You don't know what you're missing

Depends on the setting
Some settings and systems include racial or faction specific classes, so if i'm playing in the standard setting for such a system, it is restricted for lore purposes.

>Classed systems

>not playing a halfling barbarian
You wouldn't believe the savagery they don't use coasters

>never played Dark Sun

No because player characters are individuals and don't have to do whatever their race's hat is.

>only humans and dwarves can be paladins
>blizzdrones will defend this

>shit of trashcrap
sage

Only humans and short humans can be good people, just like in real life.

>When you GM, do you restrict classes to certain races?
No.

>Why or why not?
I like to give the player all the options. However in the game PCs will attract a certain amount of attention by displaying skills their race is not known for.

Classes are a mechanical package. It makes no sense to restrict them to a race, unless for nostalgia's sake you are doing race-as-class.

The only things I really restrict, because I am a somewhat new GM, is monster characters and multiclassing beyond 1 class. My players have a bad tendency to remember the good things about their characters but not the bad things so I literally have to know their shit better than them.
>Ambushed by bandits, druid casts entangle and doesn't tell me that bandits get reflex to get free.
>Druid and fighter coup de grace all of them.
>tells me after the session he "forgot" about the reflex check the enemies make.

This shit is infuriating.

You aren't able to CDG entangled enemies anyways, that was just shit play.

I don't, because most TRPGs don't have classes the same way DnD has.

Yeah I learned from then. Still doesn't change that my players try to get one over on me quite regularly. Even when I tell them I'm not the enemy they don't see to get it.

Cows, alien goats and drug junkie elves can also be paladins.

Yep. Tsapren don't get divine classes, because of how their religion works, or metal elementalists, because they haven't developed metalwork.

Let people play whatever they want, it's their character, it's their chance to play as whatever appeals to them most. If you stomp on that creative expression, they will psychologically resent it, for what benefit? The Dm controls literally everything else, let the player have their one critical thing.

Yes. Also level caps for non-humans.

Because weirdo monsters can't be heroes.