How would you run a campaign set in/inspired by the Mega Man games?

How would you run a campaign set in/inspired by the Mega Man games?

Spikes and water are instadeath.

Oh my god the bad guy was sigma all alooooong

Even now, there is hope for man,

>water are instadeath.
Wrong! You just wouldn't be able to swim, so if that water is above spikes you're going to die.

Shadow Run, there are no heroes left in men.

I wouldn't

Run a Battle Network with the pcs personalizing their fighting dudes with NetNavis, and their rp dudes with the users. Attacks are battle chips, and they only get so much each day/ jack in.

I'd do it in the Mega Man X-era with the players being either Mavericks or Hunters.

Use Shadowrun and go full Protomen.

Depends on the era. X, ZX, Battle Network, and Legends all work best for a group of adventurers in that they all have pre-existing structure for it; Maverick Hunters, Guardians/Hunters, Groups of NetOps, and Diggers respectively.

Classic is a bit harder. Make a group of robot masters under an alternative doctor or group of doctors, maybe? The Zero series you could play as part of the resistance, I guess, but you'd be playing a significantly second fiddle position to Zero; whereas Maverick Hunters are more open-ended. Starforce isn't my forte so I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure the alien... Radio... Things... Are limited in number enough to make explaining a new group of them a hassle.

I would either use Engine Heart or do like pic related.

8 themed dungeons. Little to no experience gaining throughout them, but by conquering them, in place of experience you'll gain new abilities or spells that go with the theme.

For the Maverick Hunters, it would be easy enough to set up a recurring mission structure. Just come up with a new and outlandish adjective-animal for every new bit. Whee!

Diggers lend themselves to more D&Desque dungeon crawls, so if you like that, go nuts.

Hunters and Guardians you get to play independent bounty hunters, investigators, peacekeepers, etc. in a mixed bag. Hunters would be better for sandbox, whereas the Guardians would be good for parties that don't like taking the initiative.

A lot of this also depends on the setting you like the most. ZX has a distinctly different feel than X, and Zero is really dark. Legends has that rebuilding from the apocalypse feel to it, where the world is emptier than it should be and they're struggling to get by on old tech.

It be Mega Man X, that's for sure. Probably make them Maverick Hunters or even Mavericks themselves.
I'd probably use a lot of random tables to determine their THEME + ANIMAL and SPECIAL WEAPON as to create really strange characters.
Sigma may or may not be involved, but definitely Double from X4.

Lore aside, the core conflict of the Megaman series is Human vs. AI, and the societal and sometimes personal relationships between those two. Play to that theme and it will feel authentic!

This.

Use something gamey for combat like Strike! and you are set.

agree. also probably a cooler setting than classic mega man. shit now i'd like to design fights with custom robot masters.

Are Hunters and Guardians from Zero or ZX. I still need to actually play those games, and I have all of them.

Thank you for sharing this. Vincent and Co.'s story deserved to be preserved.

They're from ZX.

I'd consider a Monsters and other Childish Things setup, in which each Master would have a Special power that could be absorbed by a player, but only could use one per body location.

You will never have another hero.
You will never have another chance.
You will fall
Because you never tried to stand for yourselves