/awg/ Alternative Wargames General

Let me axe you a question edition

>What is /awg/?
A thread to talk about minis and games which fall between the cracks, or people's homebrew wargames. /hwg/ doesn't entertain fantasy (for good reason) and the other threads are locked to very specific games, so this thread isn't tied to a game, or a genre, lets talk about fun wargames.

Any scale, any genre, any company, any minis. Skirmishers welcome. Rules designers welcome.

>Examples of games that qualify
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_miniature_wargames
Grimdark Future, Age of Fantasy, Mighty Armies, Dragon Rampant, Of Gods and Mortals, Frostgrave, Hordes of the Things, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Freebooter's Fate, Dark Age, LotR and anything that doesn't necessarily have a dedicated thread (gorkamundheim).

>Places to get minis
docs.google.com/document/d/1D2DbNJ2mYAUxh5P9Pq9NZqS5tXHGn0i2JhZchEwbA2I/edit?usp=sharing

>The Novice Trove
pastebin.com/viWJ1Yvk

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

einarolafson.blogspot.de/
modiphius.net/collections/fallout-wasteland-warfare
kickstarter.com/projects/1117201778/fanticide-a-tabletop-fantasy-skirmish-game
blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/case-study-the-demise-of-alien-dungeon-and-all-quiet-on-the-martian-front/
microworldgames.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My GZG Christmas sale stuff arrived, and I think for "modern military upgraded with ayylmao tech" it looks fine.

When I make my WarPac stuff I'll use proper soviet tech, but for now I am very happy with the US becoming the EDF

>THE EDF DEPLOYS

super nicely painted goblin!

reminds me of the painting tutorials in White Dwarf i would obsess over in 1992 or so...

I got that pic from a painting blog.
einarolafson.blogspot.de/
He's got a whole army painted like that. Really lovely stuff. With Pigorcs and all.

I've been thinking about how I want to paint my goblins, and I had to think of his mottled skin tones.

Which madman used a blue/purple color scheme?
How long did this game take?

reminder to say something nice

I can't be the only guy thinking Monster Rancher here

I would be the mad man with the blue and purple GCC.

Game took roughly an hour, I think. Maybe a little less. We always chat before and after each game so take that time with a grain of salt.

1000 hours in mspaint

>mfw goblins still haven't arrived

any hype for Fallout Wasteland Warfare?

modiphius.net/collections/fallout-wasteland-warfare

lots of cool stuff but looks rather pricey.
5-7 quid a normal model is GW and infinity expensive..

not really.
I love Fallout and like many others, as is evident by the many homebrews that float around here for it, I always thought it would be great as a wargame.
But between This is Not a Test, Scrappers, FiveCore and a bunch of other games and the Brother Vinnie minis and the odd bits and bobs you can find in other ranges I don't think there is really anything you can't get elsewhere aside from the officially licensed endorsement.
But I'm also more of an Interplay Fallout fan instead of a Bethesda fan, so that doesn't really do much for me anymore either. I don't really feel incentivized by the prospect at throwing money at Bethesda, even if it's just their general direction.

Unless Modiphius do something really spectacular with the rules or the minis I'm not feeling the hype to be quite honest.

btw around the time when Fallout Tactics game out they even put out a semi-official tabletop version.
I think it was probably their paper prototype though, nothing super polished iirc. Which was probably why I don't think I ever heard anybody say they actually played it.

Is there any equivalent to frostgrave for sci fi? In particular, does any company do generic-ish sci-fi dudes in plastic?

there are sci fi upgrade sprues for the frostgrave minis.

Rogue stars or whatever it's called.

>But I'm also more of an Interplay Fallout fan instead of a Bethesda fan, so that doesn't really do much for me anymore either.

This, the Wasteland Warfare thing looks very nu-Fallout, whereas TNT already captures the old-school fallout feel pretty much perfectly.

Mantic and Dreamforged for plastic minis. Speaking of which Necromunda, Deadzone, Shadow War, and Inqis28 all fit the bill.

Inquisitor isn't really playable, unless Inq28 is a reworked ruleset

I almost regret asking for resin miniatures in their survey. Honestly it would have been nice if the figures were cheaper. The real dealbreaker for me is
>FO4
Call me when they made a Frank Horrigan model or model any of the other cool pieces of Enclave power armor.

I think this cropped version looks a bit better, but good work user.

The game by Dakka Dakka recently had a new addition of plastic civilians.
I'd say those are the closest thing to a sci-fi equivalent of the Frostgrave Soldiers.

I'm building my first KoW army (undead) and am wondering if the Vampire on Undead Dragon or Revenant King on Undead Wyrm are actually worth the points. The 1d4chan wiki seems to argue against them, but I really want to put together a model of one of them and having a place for one in my army list would make me pull the trigger.

>but I really want to put together a model of one of them
If you want to build that one model, just build it. Regardless of wether or not you are going to use it for a game.
>and having a place for one in my army list would make me pull the trigger.
Even if it is not the most min-maxed thing in the game it doesn't necessarily mean there is no place for it at all.
But if you are only thinking about the rest of the army as an excuse to get the one model, then don't do it. Just build your vampire.

You are right. I am most likely going to buy the Undead Wyrm kit for my next plastic crack purchase, but I guess my question was more about army lists. I was never very good at putting together a decent list when I played 40k in High School (so I played Necrons), and am hoping for a bit of advice. I am more concerned with building a good looking army than with building an unstoppable tournament list but I don't know much about what I should do besides using necromancers to surge my army around faster than they should go.

Nah, models looks like ass, fluff is bethesda-trash, rules are probably garbo, and shit costs like Infinity.

I would have been cool with resin if they hadnt gone with 32mm

so this guy's blog mentions a wargame called Fanticide, however the site for the company that made that game went kaput, so I'm wondering if anyone around here has this game, and if so could tell us a little about it

The only thing I know is from the kickstarter.
kickstarter.com/projects/1117201778/fanticide-a-tabletop-fantasy-skirmish-game
No idea if you can get it these days anymore though.

You're my wife now

Blackface minstrels are in bad taste, user.

blainepardoe.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/case-study-the-demise-of-alien-dungeon-and-all-quiet-on-the-martian-front/

Anyone know why CoolMiniOrNot website has things for so cheap right now? I've never ordered before and I kinda wanted to grab these guys if they're so cheap just for fun. Is this even a legit site?

Black Friday Sales

aka why their miniature lines are failing because nobody buys them except during sales and CMoN runs their business as a pump-and-dump board game company.

WoK has no future plans, rip

Hello Dave?

Yes, they are a legit site. Its a Christmas sale, probably to move overstock.

Maelstrom's Edge or whatever? Didn't that go out of print?

>Is this even a legit site?
they re the ones making wrath of kings, so yeah.
Somebody recently asked the same question, they are just overstocked apparently.

It is a legit site, I've bought random display models from them before.
Navigating the shopping half of the site is a pain however

Yeah that's the name.
Also, no they never went out of print.
They just don't have distribution at the moment apparently. I recently asked myself the same question, wondering whatever happened to it, so i read their forums dedicated to it.
Basically they are operating as decentralized organization without overhead for rent or other expenses, so they could go on more or less indefinitely, but they are also extremely slow because of that. It seems they have been trying primarily to find distributors for the game so other people can handle the sales.

But they also recently released this kit, which I was referring to in my other post. They said they have at least plans for one other faction as well.

How do you remove minis from base plugs without fucking up their ankles? My 15mm mans don't fit in the multibases I bought so I need to remove them from the plugs.

>How do you remove minis from base plugs
what

They look good, are they 15mm?

I bought some infantry with those built in bases (a lot of historicals etc have them). These are the wrong size for my movement tray.

I need to remove the figure from its moulded base without damaging it.

They are. Loads of detail, too.

I'd say take a pair of clippers and slowly work your way around the mini taking off bits from the integral base until you are only left with what's under the feet. Then you file that flat and you should be good to go.
Or just take clippers and cut it to size so it will fit your multibases.

Requesting kings of war pdf

Kow Edge of the Abyss - Summer Campaign Book
Kow Clash of Kings 2017

Anyone can share plz?

Warzone bat rep and some WIP piccies to share with you gents tomorrow. That is if my internet decides not to be a cunt and randomly drop out for most of the day. In the meantime, have a poorly lit in progress picture of my Children of Ilian proxies, GW goblins with their noses and chins shaved down. I'm gonna give them some knives and pistols from my dark eldar bits to complete the look.

There was a new Spellcaster announced today. Copy pasted from his blog:

>You can currently purchase it from RPGNow as a PDF for $6.

>A print-on-demand version is currently awaiting approval of the printed files, but it should be up any day now. The printed version will cost $9, plus shipping.

>The magazine will hopefully be offered on Amazon in the near future, although, at the moment, I am having some formatting issues that are delaying it.

>There are plans to make this issue available in all of the same languages as Issue 1.

>To answer a question that many people have asked, I will be looking at getting Issue 1 redesigned in the new format and also made available as print-on-demand. I don't yet have a time scale for that.

>Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys the new issue. Feel free to tell me what you like and don't like about it, so that I can hopefully make Issue 3 even better.

Also from what I read so far the Dragon scenario will have different warbands working together for a change in order to bring the dragon down.
I also think the idea to rework the first issue and put them into print is kind of neat. I have reservations about buying digital files, but I'm less hesitant to buy dead trees.

I don' follow ospreys supplementary material as closely as I should, this sounds rad.
>their miniature lines are failing because nobody buys them except during sales
WoK has many reasons for why it's failing, these sales simply attract many times more people who were eyeing the minis with no intention to play the system. Currently, your second assertion isn't true based on what Bryan has stated.

>Also, no they never went out of print.
Mostly because you don't print plastic miniatures.

Production, it's production for fuck's sake.

Both of them are lynchpins for the undead, but the dragon is often the better choice. If you take the wyrm at least take it with wings.

Was this a sly bump or genuine pedantry?

Slight bumpantry.

I was going to hide magnets inside the model so I could option wings if I needed to. What do you mean by "lynchpin"? What kind of tactics would you employ with a dragon or wyrm?

Thanks all. It just seemed like one of those "too good to be true" sales so I was a little suspicious. I don't intend to play the game, I just like the models. Shame it's dying though.

Just buy the books shithead.

Lynchpin as undead strategies hinge on those models. Flying+Thunderous charge means that you can get loads of attacks in on a flank or whatnot. You can have the dragon or wyrm circle around and attack from behind or from a flank, with a normal unit attacking them from the front. All in all lots of fun. Mantic sells wings for their Wyrm model on their site, and now also sells a vampire on dragon kit, though it is inferior to the GW one in my opinion.

You are a lot of help.

*Crushing Strength not Thunderous Charge

Why makes 6mm fantasy ranges? I just ordered an Orc and Goblin army from perfect 6.

I wouldn't mind ordering other minis. I want to design a ruleset for them but need minis. any suggestions for beastmen, skaven or really any non-human/orc races would be great

microworldgames.com/

You're welcome.

Irregular Miniatures also has some but they're 3mm quality figs at 6mm scale

[Concern intensifies]

Shit that was quick

>MB size photos
>2592x1456
>Shakey

Literally learn to take photos and resize them you fucking neaderthal

HE DELETED THE ONE WHICH WASN'T BLURRY AND YOU COULD SEE THE MODEL ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Stick to rigging bloodbowl leagues, leave photography to the experts, heh, nothing personnel kid

Alright, easy mate. I agree when it's 4MB shit on /WIP/ but I was just excited to get these boys.

Now delete the second post and try again tigeretard

>i shilled the fuck out them and they still haven't arrived
on another note how do they scale with human miniatures?

The Dwarves seem big, like barely shorter than a 28mm Human big, Goblins the same since they're closer to being slightly smaller Orcs.

Already browsing there stuff.

Any UK companies? Can we get 6mm added to the google doc?

irregular and baccus are uk

hmm, thanks for telling me
i got some perry armoured muslim infantry for my easterlings so i was curious about size match up

how are the bases? 25 seems a bit big to me imo

I've never purchased used models, so I have zero experience with the following circumstance. I'd like to assemble some pvc miniatures, but only temporarily (as in small amounts of super glue and being able to pull the bits apart). What would be the best method regarding amount and type of [super] glue? Most of what I've read says gel and traditional are of equal strength, with gel being more viscous. No blue tack, as I'm actually trying to glue them together. Maybe I'm overly cautious, but I didn't want to accidentally ruin them through difficult deconstruction.

Go to a model train store, get CA glue with filler (cyanoacrylate)

>Inquisitor isn't really playable
?
I'd strongly disagree.
It's chunkier than most systems, but it does what it sets out to do pretty well.
The Inquisimunda system developed by Yaktribe(?) might be a better fit for anyone without a raging nostalgiaboner though.

The League is always exceedingly good bad taste, user.

use pva glue. Super glue isn't meant to be pulled apart

Thanks, you have been very helpful. I also don't care for the mantic undead dragon/vampire kit which is why i am leaning towards the wyrm (which I think looks great), though i will likely do a kitbash for a dragon rider down the road. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!

>Inquisitor isn't really playable

Mongo detected.

Because wargames that require a fucking DM and where throwing a fucking bolter deals more damage than firing it are certainly well made.

t. WAACfag.

Its an light RPG you silly cunt thats why it requires a DM. It explicitly outlines that its not competitive and if you dont want to do any of your own work or have the GM rule on weird stuff that comes up then it's not for you.

>End of "good" gw
>Try something that requires a brain and some creativity

People like you - "URR DURR WHO DA DM?"

>Skip to today
>GW rules are literally for mentally retarded people

Thanks.

And by the way there are full blown wargames which use a "DM" as you put it and they are some of the best rule sets ever written. Ever heard of IABSM you babby noob?

Guys we're shooting a titan, that's a 3+ to hit!
Guys we're fighting a snotling, that's 3+ to hit!

Long long gone are the days of good rulesets. It got dumbed down so they could sell it to the faux nerds

TO SAVE OUR MOTHER EARTH FROM ANY ALIEN ATTACK etc

Just another 50 guys to paint...

Instead of calculating for a solid two minute and get the result of 3+, now we just look at it and see it's 3+.

What a travesty. Truly we live in the worst of times.

I wonder if there is a market for a single player stealth game.

Basically make Metal gear solid 1 into a tabletop game you can fit in your pocket. Basic guard patrolling AI and then if you're caught they all close in on you.

It took you 2 minutes to do basic maths? Man, no wonder you like 40k

Titans are really easy to hit, because they're so huge

>not wanting to look at a separate chart to see that a BS4 means 3+ to hit
>serves no other purpose
>this makes me bad for some reason

Weak bait m8. Needless complications doesn't add anything to the game. Complex stuff is fine as long as it serves a purpose.

Which is why it makes no sense that a snotling is as difficult to hit.

The charts were no more complex than the wound roll is against the strength roll now.

It's because snotlings are notoriously stupid and make easy targets

Which makes them as easy to hit as skyscraper sized robots how?

>The charts were no more complex than the wound roll is against the strength roll now.

They had very arbitrary rules, which veterans knew by heart (except WS chart because that's changed a couple times) but the whole "how much higher is SvT etc" bogged down the game a bit and is harder to explain than Bigger and Bigger x2

You realize that even in the old rules space marines would shoot and hit both on a 3+ right?
And depending on which edition of rules you were in the space marines in melee could still be hitting in melee against both on 3+.

I really don't understand your complaint -- BS has always been the system it currently is, the only thing that changed is WS and even then WS almost never mattered. Most things were 4+ and most good things (as in things for melee) was mostly 3+ anyways

No, I think they got dumbed down by the autistic rules-lawyer minmax buttplugs always trying to twist the wording of plain fucking english to wring the last drop of advantage in a toy game

lol the nuGW nuMale meme is real, "calculating for a solid two minutes" to subtract 4 from 7, something any none sub-oid doesnt even have to think about. Jesus Christ

But the BS rules haven't changed at all, how is this an era of bad rules? Whether you Subtract 4 from 7 to get 3+ or look at the stat and see 3+ it still means the same rule no matter what.

Well, not even a hundred posts in, and the thread is full of shit already.

Good job.

I don't disagree with your point in general, but characterizing more casual players of ttgs as "nuMale" is probably sort of the opposite of reality, at least as I understand the term. Grognards and neckbeards aren't remotely masculine in the traditional sense

It's 40k shitposting though, so that explains it.

Because of necromunda the "old guard" is here being salty and bitching because 40kg goes too fast for them to get (you)s

There's a big difference between a numale and an grognard. Grognards are just autistic and focus on their hobbies to the exclusion of everything else.

Numales are incredibly feminine and base everything around social status the same way women do.

When a Grognard meets a new player he covers them in cheeto dust and wants to know what army he plays so they can have a game together.

A numale shakes your hand limp wristedly and wants to know if you will be his friend and play a game with him.

Very different mentalities.

...and all this based on the simple fact that someone prefers 3+ instead of BS4.

Wow, you are truly retarded.