>Something to watch
youtube.com/channel/UCWBrZbcz5nSYaIgl1jR1kPQ
youtube.com/channel/UCpqSWlpfdcI1titFDZv3OgA/feed
youtube.com/channel/UCMu95iB_kdWNOypiyJk7ljw

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/doc/44936790/Lord-of-the-Rings-Rulebook-2005-Eng
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also previous thread

Which had the better ascetic, old Dwarves or Hobbit!Dwarves?

I want to play this game just to use Grim Hammers so Hobbit Dwarves for me

I prefer the old Dwarves desu although it might be because of how much I hate the Hobbit films. Grim Hammers are kinda cool tho.

I know exactly what you mean, the GH NuDwarves look badass.

Iron Hills and Grim Hammers are amazing . The aesthetic of the old Dwarf Warriors > Warriors of Erebor imo, although the quality of the sculpts are obviously worse

Is there anything like list builder for LOTR/Hobbit? Battlescribe seems to be outdated and incomplete

Lonely Knights army builder is the one most people would use. It's an excel spreadsheet so not quite as convenient as Battlescribe

Thinking of building a small army. How does one build elves?

Can I combine Rivendell and Galdhrim?

Can I take Dunedain with them too?

Also, how many models do I approximately need?

The new dwarves have a much more dynamic look to them - even the relatively static models like the Grim Hammers. So quality-wise I'd say they are the better option. Personally I prefer the older sculpts because they are more open to be "Your Dudes".

They don't need a history or lore justification to be how they are, they are just Dwarves, and thats cool in my book.

I mean if it's the men of Arnor you are wanting an army of I'm sure there must be some historicals close to that design that you could make work with.

Breastplate, some chainmail, boots and an open faced sallet.

Armies are formed up of numerous warbands. A warband is typically 1 hero and 0-12 warriors. A warband must comprise of only models from the same army list. You can ally as many different forces as you want into an army however, as long as the previous statement holds true. Ie. You can have Galadhrim and Rivendell in the same army but you’ll need at least one hero to lead each contingent. Have a look at the Free Peoples book in the MEGA above. It contains the army lists you are interested in.

Can we talk about TOR here or only the wargame?

And as for number of troops, that’d obviously depend on the army size you’re aiming for. 600pts is a reasonable size. I’d typically run 3 maxed warbands at that size. Elves are relatively expensive however so you may use less depending on how much you splurg on heroes

I like both flavour of dwarf to be honest.

I see, Thanks

So I can combine any Good factions in an army?

I'd like to have a combination of Galadhrim, Rivendell and Dunedain. (Also I've noticed Rangers of the North cost as much as a small hero, what makes them so cool?)

So if I bring a drum and a horn in one army do I get +2 Bravery? I'm not sure if the wording excludes cumulative positive modifies or just negative modifiers.

They each have a single Might, Will, and Fate. This allows them to resist spells, potentially survive a fatal wound, and Might can do a variety of things including boosting dice rolls and moving/shooting/fighting out of sequence. So yea, they cost as much as a small hero because that’s what they are. Basic Rangers are in the same list also to help bulk out the army with numbers. What heroes would you like leading the Galadhrim and Rivendell contingents? A note on allied warbands; they each treat their bow limit separately. This will be 33% unless otherwise indicated. Rangers of the North are one of the exceptions to that.

I've been thinking of Haldir or Celeborn and Glorfindel.

If you don't particularly care about any Hobbit related stuff you could always play the LotR rules seeing as they don't force the whole "must have a character per 12 other models" thing.

I really dont, the visiual style of the hobbit movies is not as pretty as LOTR's

I thiink the 2005 rulebook was the last core book for it.

scribd.com/doc/44936790/Lord-of-the-Rings-Rulebook-2005-Eng

Anyway in LotR you are basically free to pick anything you want as long as you never mix Good and Evil units.

Specific scenarios will have listed restrictions for army selection, like what % of ranged units you can take or how much you can spend on characters.

Note that this is not true if you are looking to play the up to date version of the rules. Warbands was introduced pre-Hobbit.
If you don’t want to play using those rules there is of course nothing stopping you from just ignoring them.

Get Rumil. The guy is a beast.

I dont like the hobbit but I am glad LOTR will have support.

>How does one build elves?

Don't ask us. Ask Eru Ilúvatar.

Ah I wasn't aware Warband rules came in the year before the Hobbit book.

Still it always felt like a change made for just 1 reason. So GW could sell more character models and be able to say splitting boxes from 24 miniatures down to 12 miniatures with an increased price cost as a good thing because "you were buying a warband".

Main issues for some with the Hobbit rules were bad changes to shooting and monsters right?

Considering how expensive Glorfindel is, I’d suggest Haldir out of the two.

For future reference, none of the Galadhrim named heroes are awful with Rumil being particularly good value.

That’s a very pessimistic way of looking at it, although I’m sure there’s some truth to it.
The stated reasons given were to prevent the horrible spam armies of one hero and the rest of the points spent on warriors.

Game Designers prefer the way the game plays when there are more heroes running around and less models on the table.
As someone who attends tournaments often, it is my opinion that standard games are a lot more enjoyable with the warband system than with the previous ones.
If you’re trying to reenact a battle from the film however then I would just ignore warbands to allot for suitable sense of scale of the battle (although given how many named characters you’re likely to be using, you’ll probably end up being warband compliant anyway!)

Correct. Most monsters were useless prior to the change though, they just went too far with the buffs.

The shooting change was probably not needed, but was likely introduced as a way to make more games dependent on the perceived to be more interesting close combat duels. No one enjoys playing against an entirely mounted archer force while getting shot to shit. Archers are still useful nowadays but won’t rack up too many kills (unless you’re a crossbowman in which case you’re completely untouched by the nerf). Their main use is in making the enemy come to you and taking pot shots at a few key models etc.

Just make sure you keep them close enough to contribute to the main fight once battle is joined and you won’t begrudge the 1-2 Pts the bow cost you. An archer is typically no worse than any other model in melee, it will just lack a shield

Wait, what was the archer nerf? I saw the 33% maximum is new (I started when the game came out), but what else did they nerf?

Pretty sure the 33% limit has always been there (at least since RotK days). The new thing is that if you move and shoot you get a -1 penalty to hit. Crossbows, being unable to move and shoot, are of course unaffected.

Anyone have “There and Back Again” in PDF?

Doesn’t exist. Can post specifics later tonight if people want tho

Anyone else buy all 3 box sets when the movies first came out? And run alternative fellowships? Like Radagast instead of gandalf.

How does one go about making an easterlings list? Best practices?
As: Black Numenoreans: usable? I like their models and the morgul knights.

>Archers are still useful nowadays but won’t rack up too many kills (unless you’re a crossbowman in which case you’re completely untouched by the nerf). Their main use is in making the enemy come to you and taking pot shots at a few key models etc.

Does that even apply to elves?

Old Dwrfs, the same reason I love Warhammer Dwafs. Them 80's fantasy hauberks.

The same way you make pretty much any list, buy three boxes of the plastic troops and see what options you have.

For Easterlings you want bows and pikes really to make use of their two rules regarding those weapons.

Black Numenoreans are very good if I remember correctly, most people don't take them because the foot models are fucking awful.

Could you scan it? I can upload it to the MEGA if you can.

I was wondering about using flat style bases for the gondor army that I am building. Do you think people would have a problem with playing against me if I were to use them?

I can't see any reason why if they're the same size.

That's what I was thinking, I just never see anyone at my local store using them

It's because they look weird next to GW bases. If your opponent is using standard bases it makes it look strange.

I'd not looked at LotR stuff since like... 2008 or something.

Those new small boxes and increased prices are crazy. £15 for 10 plastic Easterlings ONE sprue.

Maybe in a tournament? You model shaves a few millimeters off its height which could matter in a true line of sight game.

Perhaps but most SBG 'tournaments' are really just organised meet ups to play games. I doubt anyone would cause a stink over that, it's mainly the diameter which matters. The main thing they get butthurt about is models having WYSIWYG weapons.

The Grim Hammerers are gorgeous models, I'm considering getting them both to start a small lotr army and to use in AoS as Hammererers

I already have some lotr dwarf rangers I use as quarrelers, so maybe I'll get them with a hero and run a small warband

Thankfully I come from a fantasy and 40k background. Love how "cheap" this system is comparatively.

That's like saying cancer isn't so bad compared to ebola.

Just went temp out of stock on the UK site for pre-orders. That's a lot of attention for this.

For the size of the game, the cost really is not an issue.

The cost of neither concerns me. Especially not to the point that I would compare them to cancer

I guess that's true.

If only they had swapped the number of pikemen and bowmen in that kit. I’d be over Easterlings like a rash. Hopefully they do a Gundabad style upgrade sprue or something giving some easterling style pike/halberds.

It isn’t really the kind of book you can scan without destroying it. Meanwhile

Battle Companies scans when

Probably never.

I don't normally say this regarding GW but I think this is one instance where you should buy the book to show them people are still interested. Although it's sold out on the UK page.

Do people think they'll remake old models that are still available? I don't know about anyone else but I think Iron Guard and Khazad Guard could do with an update.

Never. Considering how niche this game is.

I love the new dwarf armor, but Vault Wardens will always have my heart.

Probably not. I mean it took GW how long to update Eldar jet bikes? And that's for their core game.

I would surely buy it but I like to see what I am buying first - If I will enjoy the game rule-wise etc.

Well its not out for another week. Might see some pics then. Free version of older rules are online if you want to see what to expect. It likely wont have changed much,

Thoughts on the new army bonuses? The idea as a whole?

Shame they are not releasing a digital version - for now at least

Trying out converting some Moria goblins into Blackshields, first time using greenstuff so pretty happy. I might try and attempt making a kind of crude helmet for the ones without helmets as I need a lot of Blackshields for my force and you only get 1 helmeted model of each weapon type in a box.

they look pretty good, nice job ! :)

Possibly. But for now one of their priorities is getting out models so that all profiles in the game have a model to use. Either through re-releasing old sculpts or bringing out new ones.

Trokes favourite hero is Imrahil so Foot knights of Dol Amroth soon hopefully =[

Same, why not both?

Looks good, especially for a first time effort. Could work fine even without the helmets in fairness

Attempted to sculpt a helmet on a goblin, pretty pleased with the result, just needs some cleaning up once it hardens a little more.

Better than I was expecting. Really wish the Hobbit had stuck with this aethetic for Goblin Town. New Goblin plastics would have been ace.

bump

Do you guys have a favorite Orc sculpt?

Consistency would've been nice. I don't hate the mutant blob goblins, but it feels unnecessary when they had already established a goblin design in the LotR movies.

Be honest with me - is Hobbit/LotR played in your are or you just bought models because they look neat? There are no SBG players in my town and I feel like there is no chance to start a playgroup desu

I bought them because they look cool but people do have armies, it's just tempting them back to the game after years of GW not supporting it.

If you can see this forge world, HURRY THE FUCK UP WITH THE NEW RULESBOOK.

There’s a new Rulebook coming out?

Well that's what they said a year ago but we haven't heard anything since.

I thought it was just There and Back Again.

Apparently there's plans to have a Middle Earth ruleset. I think TABA is gonna be scenarios and some army lists?

The FW team that has took over want to rebrand the whole game as the middle earth strategy battle game and unite the two ranges with a new book that will probably look like the battle companies book. Then they might release some campaign books or something but who knows. There and back again is already out and is just the 2nd and 3rd Hobbit film's scenarios.

Wow, then I guess now is the worst time to get into The Hobbit.

Well yes and no. Yes I wouldn't advise anyone to buy any of the books other than battle companies but at the same time SBG has never had the difference in power level that GW's other games have. 99% of things will be useful and the rules will not change much other than balancing the Hobbit and LotR ranges.

Currently loading the rulebook. I own a fellowship box, 6 mounted rohirrim and Theoden. What do now? I always thought about buying 2 boxes for each of the fellowship factions and play them with a generic fantasy ruleset. But this might actually be possible with the current ruleset from what I understand?

in your opinion

By GW prices you need to spend about $250 on a 1000pts army. Not even a competitive force but for a slightly-better-than-casual list. With no boxed deals like start collecting boxes or battleforce boxes this game would be unplayable imo. Yeah, some new boxes like the tzeentch battleforce has over 1000pts of models just for $170 but it's not really a good army out-of-box.

How much you have to spend on lotr/hobbit minis to build a legal army for the lowest point-tier games? (equivalent of 1000pts in 40k/aos)

no it's a fact.

Generally, most games I play have about 3 full warbands on my side. Cost would vary depending on the army and heroes obviously. Maybe other user wants to recreate helms deep with 10,000 Uruks.

Sorry, I don't fully understand what you are asking. Could you rephrase the question slightly? Think the answer is yes from what Im getting.

Yeah, I worded it poorly. My plan is to build a warband around every hero from the fellowship box by buying a box or two of each of the realted factions. (Gimli Dwarves, Boromir Gondor etc.). I just learned from this thread how the army composition in the Hobbit game works and I think it's kinda neat. It's actually what I hoped age of sigmar would be like, way back when first details were spoiled rumored.

The Army Composition rules would certainly allow something like it, although points would be a very limiting factor. Boromir of the Fellowship and Boromir as he is leading Minas Tirith are two different profiles also. Don't think the Fellowship Boromir can lead troops

Shame there are no hobbit/lotr boxed deals like for warhammer. It would be nice to buy a unit of grim hammers and a hero in one box with some extra discount

That sounds like quite a cool idea. As the other user said though, the Fellowship can be expensive in points. Using them all costs about 800 points I think so you'll have no room for any troops really.

You know fine rightly it'd just be the Captains in the boxes tho. 9 times out of 10 they are not what you want