EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Mass Removal Edition

Previous: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
Is there such a thing as enough board wipe? If so, what does it look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poophix/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1st for fuck blue

I really love playing apocalypse. Its such a fuck you move to play it when you've got a bunch of shit suspended with jhoira and then just win next turn.

What is a fun blue deck to use that doesn't just spam counterspells?
t. mono Black player

Blue Braids Big Stuff.

please tell me how terrible my group hug deck is

yes im aware group hug sucks against competitive/combo decks, but my entire playgroup is casual

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/poophix/

say someone counterspells x and I use wild ricochet. Am I allowed to force the counterspell to target itself?

mono blue strangeness-tribal with patron of the moon as head

You can't change a spell's targets(s) to illegal target(s). Unless there are multiple threats on the stack, just let the target of the original counterspell target your spell and copy the counterspell.

I do have a blue braids laying around. Does it require a caged sun?

Post old EDH staples that never get used anymore

Since when was that a staple?

I'm now posting the objectively superior duel deck card out of that garruk deck.

You can use spell redirection to force a counterspell to target the redirecting spell, which is still on the stack when you make such a choice on resolution but will be illegal when the counter resolves.

You're deck isn't fun. My deck is the right way to have fun.

Way back in the beginning. You'd basically never hardcast it, you'd cycle it to get a cantripping Lay of the Land for a fair price and then maybe reanimate the fat later if you don't have a better target in grave.

But user, my deck is your deck, but better.

Require is a strong word. Probably not? It'd be really handy though, since casting big guys tends to cost a lot.

>Since when was that a staple?
Since forever. You clearly weren't playing like 8 years ago when the Tusker was a commonly seen card. Fuck, I still play it every now and then and it does me well a lot of the time.

Says you.

I play aboshan tap tribal.

Stealing your opponents creatures isn't the right way to have fun. Unless your one of those fags that thinks piracy isn't stealing

Tapping your opponents creatures takes away their ability to play the game and so isn't the right kind of fun. You have to consider they're feelings too. This is why I exclusively play choice tribal

Group hug is inherently cancer. You'll always end up as just the last to lose.

>thread question
Zurgo Boardwipe Tribal, probably.

>Tapping your opponents creatures takes away their ability to play the game and so isn't the right kind of fun.
>Tapping your opponents creatures
>Tapping
>creatures
Oh you poor poor user. You don't even know the definition of fun.

2nd for fuck blue

Do people really just run actual group hug decks with no real wincons? I have a phelddagrif group hug deck but its filled out the ass with janky wincons and pillowfort stuff to make sure I still win while my opponents duke it out.

>not pyroblast
>not reb
I would say that youre like a baby, but anyone that likes green but hates blue is a grade A bitch

Patron of the Moon combos
Higure, the Still Wind combat-manipulation
Mistform Ultimus reverse tribal voltron
Muzzio, Visionary Architect artifact snowball combo
Jalira, Master Polymorphist tokens + fatties + cloning
Unesh, Criosphinx Sovereign sphinx tribal
Ixidor, Reality Sculptor morph aggro
Keiga, the Tide Star clone/steal

Fuck black

Hakim voltron is super fun too

1 of every clone and steal spell.
You don't have hard rempval in blue so you kind of have to use a handfull of counters.

How should I build this pure maiden? Enchantress?

Fuck Colors.

Bantchantress Voltron is pretty busted, and Jenara makes a nice not!Rafiq to protect you from bullies who can't handle a little aggro. Make sure to toss in an old Sigarda if you can afford her!

I just realized that the art is of an armored Gorilla with a sword. And he’s yelling so loud he literally stops a magic spell. Kick ass.

Have you never seen cards like simian spirit guide, kurd ape or treetop village? Dominaria has sentient gorillas that learn magic and kill.

Got a decklist? What do you do about flyers?

No, but you can make the counterspell target wild ricochet. Then after ricochet resolves the counterspell will have an illegal Target and fizzle.

>have abzan deck
>4 wrath effects
>aura shards, acidic slime, rec sage,
>path of exile, swords to plowshares, anguished unmaking, mortify, & putrefy

i swear to god i never actually play anguished unmaking, mortify, or putrefy. but i'm addicted to removal and i'm afraid if i take them out for more useful cards suddenly i'm going to find myself not being able to remove threats. ahhhhh

tusker is classic.

It was a mainstay of the Mimeoplasm especially. Something decent to eat.

how F U N and shitty would scorpion god voltron be?

>F U N
Do you enjoy not really doing anything, then losing to someone who did do something proactive and powerful? If so, it's plenty fun.

>shitty
Now you're getting it.

Sadly, The Scorpion God is kinda mediocre to begin with *and* you're engaging in a strategy that Rakdos doesn't really support well. You have neither enchantment nor equipment synergies to capitalize on, voltron is tough to pull off well without one of those two supporting it. What will happen is that you'll durdle around, not really do a lot, then lose to someone who had a more supported and coherent gameplan and executed it well.

tl;dr: if your playgroup is really low-power, it's probably fine. Otherwise, do something else.

Hmm might look into it. I have a copy of ftv angels I haven't opened yet, and picked up a sterling grove for cheap and a foreign m11 glacial fortress for extremely cheap so I want to use those.

Mardu masterrace reporting in.
>Planeswalker Removal: Nahiri, the Harbinger; Elspeth, Sun's Champion, Liliana of the Dark Realms
>Creature: High Priest of Penance
>Instant: Anguished Unmaking, Crackling Doom, Kolaghan's Comand, Mortify, Path, Rakdos Charm, Return2Dust, Terminate, Utter End, Wear/Tear
>Sorcery: Vindicate, Vandalblast, Rout, Martial Coup, Kirtar's wrath, Dreadbore, Damnation, Blasphemous Act

It's like you don't evn like removing anything that isn't yours.

i just play lots of games with the deck, and i am constantly pathing things and swordsing things but i can't even remember the last time that i used anguished unmaking, putrefy, or mortify.

if i'm not using the cards doesn't that mean i should replace them? i'm considering dropping at least putrefy and mortify. the fact that they destroy instead of exile is pretty meaningful.

Yeah, but they hit non-creatures too. Putrefy is pretty good like 90% of the time. Mortify is a little more specialized and I could see cutting it, but Putrefy hitting artifacts is really handy.

maybe i'll just put in some commands (primal, profane, austere)

i wish condemn was better.

The commands are great, but they do cost a lot more mana. Still, great cards and you could do a lot worse, so carry on, friend.

As for Condemn, I've had decent results, but there's a lot of options above it. Hell, I usually turn to Oust before I look at Condemn. Great budget choice though.

oust isn't bad, i'd put it on par with condemn.

i think one of the hardest parts about deckbuilding for me is finding areas that aren't problematic but which are underwhelming. cards that end up sitting in my hand. mortify never SEEMS like a bad card to have "just in case" but then when things get out of control i just end up using path/swords or a wrath. in my mind i think "oh well it's good that i have mortify as backup" but then the game ends and i never actually used it.

I use Anguished Unmaking all the time and Mortify fairly often. Are you in some kind of super heavy spellslinger meta where you never see dangerous permanents?

>heliod kills elspeth

Truly a Zeus thing to do

Welcome to 2014.

What was that artwork used for again? I forgot the turd of a card it was printed on.

promotional material

It wasn't used on anything but storyart. No card.

Man I swear it was printed on one, oh well.

There was a similar one on deicide, Where Elspeth foolishly stabs the wrong god to death

>Play Borgy 2.0
>Game is running long
>Draw and Drop Storm Cauldron
>No responses
>Tap all my lands
>Person tries to respond and argues that you can respond to tapping lands for mana
>Argue back for a bit
>He capitulates
>Throw one land at him
>Doom Blades Borgy
>"Well, all right then. I throw my hand at you."
>"But he's dead. You can't use his ability"
>"His ability is still there and I'm responding to you to killing him."
>"But he's dead!"
>My face as a table argues with an idiot for ten minutes only for him to get mad and scoop

Fer fucks sake. This game sometimes, I swear.

Be condescending and teach him how the stack works again.

nah my meta is fairly balanced. i usually hold my removal until i really need it and often that means other people have already taken care of threats, or the board has gotten busy enough that i'd rather play a wrath.

i think i'm gonna drop putrefy for profane command and drop mortify for...something spicy. profane command can be a kill spell, a player killing spell, and a reanimation spell. that seems kind of worth it.

I've been meaning to try Hakim, but I'm not well-versed on good auras, and I want to hold off on Eldrazi Conscription until I'm sure I actually like the deck.

> be me
> combofag
> wanting to try something new
> Khanafenza
> hmmm.png
> Hate bears is popular with her

How do I play hate bears without being "that guy"?

What do you mean by "that guy"?

Play it off as "human tribal" or "waifu tribal". Most of the good hatebears are human and/or female, anyways, with a few exceptions.

Reminder that the one of the defining features of "that guy" is trying to hide it.
>no, it's not hatebears, it's human/waifu tribal, I swear

Grinding the game to a standstill while everyone murders me with their fiercest glares. That guy.

Actually build human tribal, and use the hatebears to support it, then. This does mean no Gaddock, and no Lodestone Golem unless a good 70% of your nonlands are creatures.

>buddy wants to improve his Iroas token deck
>we go through all his stuff, check staples on EDHrec, etc
>conclude that the easiest way to improve it would be branching into another colour
>suggest he make it Naya tokens for all the Selesnya token support
>go through all the Naya commanders
>come across Sidar/Tana
>both get excited for huehuehue unblockable smol dude army
>spent so much time hyping him up about it that I want to build it too
Someone please dissuade me from building them. I already have like 8 commander decks. Help.

just use edhrec and set the budget to cheap. Hakim is pretty cool, you can use a little self mill and then just use high tide to put literally everything on him.

>guys its group hug, its phelddagrif
>guys smokestack is group hug, it affects everybody
>gays winter orb isn't bad, it just lets him catch up since he's so far behind

But that's how I have fun

Do you already have a token swarm/go wide deck? If not, and you play at least somewhat regularly, I don't see why you shouldn't. But, if you already have a deck that plays similarly, or you don't play that often, then hold off on it.

Don't include a lot of obvious stax cards, make an interesting twist on hatebears, and/or make a budget for it so you won't go overboard, like 60-100 dollar budget.
This could make it an interesting hatebear deck, especially if you use Soldiers as well.

Make it a morph/manifest deck. You do have white for Astral Slide just in case.

Gotta have had money dawg. Boom.

Gas money. I'm a tard.

just ask to borrow your friend's when he builds it

>then just use high tide to put literally everything on him.
Oh yeah, you can respond to his ability with itself while it's still on the stack, and it doesn't need that condition to resolve, so the extra instances won't fizzle. Thanks, user. I'll start putting together what I have.

I hate playing with people who don't know how the stack works, I swear some goofballs think only counter spells can go off before a cast resolves

It's worse when people try to backpedal their way through a game.
>wait, I want to go back and kill [enabler] now that I know you have and are ready to cast [threat]

That makes a lot of sense. You're a smart cookie user!
Now I just need to wait for him to build the deck.

He can't respond to you tapping lands, but he can respond to the storm cauldron triggers on the stack with doom blade to kill your commander. Or rather, it depends on how you manipulate the stack. If you start tapping lands and resolving the storm cauldron triggers individually, then he can't do much (besides stop 1 land from entering your hand) but if you hold priority and put all the triggers on the stack at the same time then he can kill Borgy without your lands ever reaching your hand

He can, but that didn't happen. He just decided to Doom Blade after having a borbolt thrown at him once, the Storm Cauldron triggers seem to have resolved before that happened.

don't build the exact same as your friend, it feels bad for everyone. however, you can build something very similar but slightly different, like change 1 color and the commander(s).

one of the funnest games i've had has been playing against my friend's mayael fatty deck with my maelstrom wanderer fatty deck. it's like an immovable object vs an unstoppable force.

>tfw your deck keeps winning every other game

at that point do you tune your deck down or try and match your groups play style? my friends are all timmies and cant handle combo but i hate big creatures

i also hate winning every other game due to drawing my whole deck or winning off infinite combos

Step 1: Leave out tutors
Step 2: Leave out infinite-enablers
Step 3: Find other ways to win (alt-wincons, go wide, mill, finite combos, stax them out)
Step 4: Use their big creatures against them (steal effects, treason effects, reanimator, clone)

if it means anything im playing this fag

should i purposefully drop "drop your hand and draw 7 cards" cards? my brother is tuning his deck to blow up lands as rakdos and win with eldrazi and our other pal is playing ur dragon and smashing with dragons while the other 4 players dont win. ever.

is it just a matter of asking them to tone it down? feels weird man. ill take your words into consideration though.

If they're tuning up to you, it should be fine. Also, Locust God gets a lot of hate on here.

oh i know

but my timmy pals dont realize they should gang up on me when i drop impact tremors and pic related turn 4

ive moved to kruphix group hug but my fear is that my brother ad ur dragon friend will just win faster and more. i have a fuck ton of counter spells and spell stealining enchants to give the other 4 a chance but i fear its not enough. we will see when my cards arrive i guess.

locust god is a commander that isn't necessarily "powerful" but he does win a lot of games. the thing with him is that he's not that threatening until he instantly wins. whenever i play against locust god, i make sure he never actually resolves or untaps with the commander out if possible. your group should eventually learn to do that and then your group becomes 99 cards of wheels and token synergy with no real tokens to back them up

>then your group becomes 99 cards of wheels and token synergy with no real tokens to back them up

meant to write that "your deck becomes" instead

>pod consists of tokens.dec, spellslinger.dec and wizardtribal.dec
>clones.dec player is butthurt the entire night because there's nothing of value to copy

I'm in the exact same boat with my Kruphix deck. Of the last dozen or so games I've played with it, my only loss occurred because I was intentionally playing sub-optimally (I had a hand full of counters and 50 50/50 hydras on board and was set to win next turn and I let a windfall (with 20 cards in my hand) resolve for shits and giggles; I didn't draw any of my counters and windfall guy drew into Rakdos Charm).

I hate the thought of toning down a deck I've put money and effort and time into building and tuning, so usually I just bring it out once a night to play against the more competitive people in my circle and then play any of my other decks the rest of the night.

>no Hour of Revelation, Austere Command, Toxic Deluge or Merciless Eviction
This ain't Mardu

Build a prison deck. Use lockdown pieces to shut down the two competent players, then stax the game up once everyone else gains tempo.

that's rare, a fellow aboshan commrade. Currently I play only old bordered cards in my Aboshan as I tried to build 'unbroken' mono blue deck. Got any old-borered secret tech?

may i ask, are you running simic good stuff? hydra? hug?

It's a rampy draw-go control deck with hydra's as a wincon. The deck has gone through about 4 different versions now with various win conditions and I settled on hydra's because they're fun, vaguely on flavour, and don't make people feel as bad as Eldrazi titans.

I'm considering building Kaseto Voltron. Any recommendations for tech?

Since the guy obviously doesn't have a full grasp on the rules, it's a bit disingenuous to say that you can't respond to tapping lands for mana without also explaining that you can respond to Storm Cauldron triggers.
Try to explain to him how to do optimal plays next time he tries to do something stupid. Being a new player and having someone tell you "you can't do that because of rules, too bad no takebacks" is very disheartening, and having it happen multiple times while learning makes it seem like the game rules are designed to work against you. Instead having someone tell you "you can't do that because of rules, what you should've done if you wanted to stop me was to do X when I did Y etc." is a lot more helpful, especially while allowing small takebacks as long as cards haven't been revealed and targets haven't been chosen (e.g. trying to counter a creature after ETB targets are made). That way his mindset becomes "I can do stuff, I just have to do them with the right timing" instead of "I can't do stuff but it seems like my opponents can do stuff, that's bullshit".

Grafted exoskeleton. 21 commander damage needed? How about 10?

Sounds good. On Kaseto, that's about 1-2 swings/player. If I get another snake voltroned up, Blade of Selves can make that 1-2 swings total.

tryna make this bitch work. Need help, I dont like the tappedout top decks for her.
I'd like some static upkeep lifegain effects, like dega sanctuary.

>copy
[laughs in goblin]

Suicide black + pic related (there are, i think, five effets like this so there's consistency).

Try killing yourself as fast as possible, then exchange life totals with the pillowforting faglordio of your playgroup and do it again.

Aetherflux is for maximum bully.

good idea, and trips never lie