Planeswalkers edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Posting goatwalker again.

People seemed to like it.

I considered creating X 0/1 goats (ts but it didn't feel beefy enough. Even goats need beef sometimes.)

Tift is a friendly Planeswalker that greets the first set's main character (Pinwheel/star user here) when their spark is first ignited. He's something of a Wise Old Man character, and becomes a central protaganist when the main character gets possessed by an ancient evil. This ancient evil was previously trapped on its home plane. Upon discovering other planes, it desired to infest the mind of a Planeswalker so it can spread. It succeeds, and becomes a major threat to the Multiverse.

Tift is a cool fellow. He doesn't like violence, but by the end of his arc is forced into battle! Oh no!

At any rate, just to keep people aware, I have multiple sets. So this is me too.

I'm probably known by this one, but I post the other one sometimes. It is the 2nd planned set of a 3-set story arc.

At any rate, a few executive decisions have been made.

>Removal of Mythic Rarity
I posted Tift without updating him. The deal with this is that it was really uncomfortable for me to design Mythics. I just hated how it felt like a design space of "Make it overpowered."

I also hate how cheap Mythics have always felt in limited. (The "If you resolve a mythic, you win." problem. Wurmcoil Engine might have been the pinnacle of this.)

I like Mythics in MTG in general, but they don't mesh with the designs that I'm going for. So, mythics have been deleted.

With that, I had to tone down some of the mythics to pull them into the rare slot.

I have the cycle of what I call "Tribrid Legends", which are an ally hybrid casting cost with the enemy colored ability.

This character, the G/W+B card, has been a thorn in my side forever. It has gone through probably about a dozen different versions, and I haven't liked any of them.

This is the most recent one. It ended up being something of a junk goodstuff control-type card. It hoses tokens, crushes creature-based aggro and provides totally unfair card advantage that I will probably tone down.

So, keeping in mind how annoying this G/W+B slot has been for me, thoughts?

o also,
>Deserter
is technically, right now, a token-only creature type. The story of the character fits exactly with the type, so I don't know if I want to keep it but I figured why not throw it on for "muh flavor" reasons. Not passionately attached to it though, if you think it should go.

Props at least for Tift not feeling like most other planeswalkers.

Keeping it unique is something I try to do with my designs.

This is the other walker from the set, the "Main character" mentioned in Tift's description. Falling into the 2CMC Tibalt Trap may be a bad idea, and both walkers in the set being white is a concern, but I felt I wanted to try it out at the very least.

That planeswalker side is brokenly good

>That planeswalker side is brokenly good
It is in the second set. Since I haven't finished the first yet, haven't touched balance or playtested the second at all.

It will probably be toned down, no doubt, but that will happen in the future when I actually get to set 2.

No like, EVERY ability is absurd for the mana cost. Even though Tibalt sucks, it's the only example of a 2 mana walker we have, so you kinda have to use him as an example of how a 2 mana walker needs to be built, IE: + that hurts you most of the time, normally powered -, gamewinning ult.
And even if you want to just, totally discard tibalt as an example, pretty much ALL 3 mana walkers follow a similar formula, Where the + ability is either a double edged blade, or has a chance to do absolutely nothing but give the walker loylaty, and the other abilities are normally powered
Plus, I don't think its kosher to have a planeswalker ability that just flat out says "You win the game"

>No like, EVERY ability is absurd for the mana cost.
First is Meddling Mage, costed identically.

Second is kind of similar to Rhystic Study in a way. It's slightly undercosted and is the most likely ability to change.

Third is an undercosted Azor's Elocuters. Elocuters are cut, but basically never competitive. Azor's also is much harder to strip counters from, limited to 1 per source, and is also on a 3/5 beatstick.

I want her to intentionally be extremely high-power, but again I haven't had a chance to test her yet. I'm aware she is currently, probably overpowered.

First is Meddling Mage. EVERY TURN
Second is similar to an undercosted rhystic study. EVERY TURN.
Do you see what I'm getting at?

>First is Meddling Mage. EVERY TURN
uhhhhhhh, you do know what Meddling Mage does right? The first +1 also has a window between beginning of turn and main phase 1 for instants to be cast. I want to close that window, mind you.

>Second is similar to an undercosted rhystic study. EVERY TURN.
Rhystic often pops itself, like, 2-3 times a turn. It frequently triggers 5+ times in a single round. I've seen it trigger multiple dozens of times in one round in multiplayer. One EVERY TURN is actually much worse than Rhystic Study itself.

Christ. I see that you don't want constructive criticism

>uhhhhhhh, you do know what Meddling Mage does right?
Not that guy, but the point he's making is that your card allows you to change what can't be cast. Suddenly, your Unsummon gets upgraded to Reflector Mage.

Nah, I just think you're being a bit over-dramatic with the all-caps.

You may also forget that, it only having +1s and 2 starting loyalty means that it gets popped instantly by Bolt.

>Not that guy, but the point he's making is that your card allows you to change what can't be cast. Suddenly, your Unsummon gets upgraded to Reflector Mage.
I'm aware. It's a frustrating stall card, for sure. Again, I haven't had a chance to test it at all yet. The criticism is noted, but I just found ~ EVERY TURN ~ thing a bit silly.

Especially in regards to Rhystic Study, which triggers many, many times in a single turn. I was 'avin a bit of a giggle, that's all.

If it doesn't, it snowballs and is very hard to stop. And if you're playing into bolt, you still get to draw a card.

>If it doesn't, it snowballs and is very hard to stop.
You have 4 turns, outside of some silly counter multipliers (which I will be looking out for in playtesting.)

Even if you activate the final +1, you still have an extra turn to bring it down below 7 counters.

I don't feel it is particularly broken, but I also realize that it has some potential 2- or 3-of, possibly even 4, in some legacy decks so I'm aware of how mighty it is.

Bolt isn't that good of an argument, you don't always have a bolt in hand. Seriously though, I get you want to make a strong walker, but every one of these plus abilities (Barring the last one) would only ever be printed individually on a 3 mana walker, and the fact that it has all three of them means that you have an undercosted, abomination of a toolbox that can just flat out win the game sometimes

Interesting idea. Plus is a bit shit though in vacuum

However will a blue white deck manage to keep an opponent from doing things in 4 turns. That's the worst color combination for stalling and control!

>Bolt isn't that good of an argument, you don't always have a bolt in hand.
I think you are really underestimating how much impact Bolt has on Planeswalkers in constructed. It is played in a gigantic chunk of decks in every format it is legal in. It is such a factor, that every new Walker to be released has to pass the "Bolt Test" for it to be seriously viable. I actually can't name any walkers, except for Flip Jace if you'd even count that, that see major constructed play without meeting this criteria.

Noting that it might be the only walker to not pass the bolt test and still be viable is a serious testament to its power. Again, all to be considered when it comes to actually testing the thing. (Which has't been done yet.)

>you have an undercosted, abomination of a toolbox
wow rude :\

A 2 mana card doesn't need to pass the bolt test, and you're still getting value even if it is bolted.

You do realize that the statements "I don't feel it's particularly broken" and "I realize that it has some potential 2- or 3-of, possibly even 4 in some legacy decks" should be mutually exclusive statements right? Like, you're basically just admitting "I wanna one up JTMS" at this point

>You do realize that the statements "I don't feel it's particularly broken" and "I realize that it has some potential 2- or 3-of, possibly even 4 in some legacy decks" should be mutually exclusive statements right?
True...

>Like, you're basically just admitting "I wanna one up JTMS" at this point
Nah, I'm saying I haven't tested it yet in any format, so I don't know at all how well it will perform. I anticipate it will over-perform and need to be toned down, though, when I actually get to it.

If you anticipate it'll overpreform, and need to be toned down... why do you seem so reluctant to do so? Just slap a 1 at the front of the mana cost and it'll still be concerningly good

>A 2 mana card doesn't need to pass the bolt test
TIbalt didn't, and you don't see him being played anywhere :0

That's cause his abilites are balanced for his cost and, surprise! That makes him terrible

>If you anticipate it'll overpreform, and need to be toned down... why do you seem so reluctant to do so?
I don't want to tone it down until it is tested well. If it performs well, but doesn't totally dominate, I'll be fine with it.

I guess, I should say, the gist is that I'm aiming for it as a 2- or 3- of in eternal formats. If I want to play 4 of it in every UW deck ever, (which I already kind of want to do even before testing) I'll tone it down.

We'll see what the future holds.

Look. I get you want to make a super strong planeswalker, but this is not the way to do it. You have multiple people saying "This shit looks OP", including yourself, but for some reason you really, really, REALLY don't want to be proactive about that. Why?

>you really, really, REALLY don't want to be proactive about that. Why?
Mentioned before. It's part of 2nd set, I haven't finished 1st set yet. This means I haven't gotten to testing anything from the 2nd set yet in any major way.

It's in the future, and I'm just one dude with one dude's worth of free time ;_;

Ok. Just say that from the start. You don't care about balance and it's brokenly strong by design. Don't fucking pussyfoot around it

An emblem on a plus ability seems... Iffy in my opinion. And that minus seems concerningly strong, ignoring the issues with a walker making two completely different emblems aside

>Don't fucking pussyfoot around it

>First reply I made
>It will probably be toned down, no doubt, but that will happen in the future when I actually get to set 2.
????

>+2
Seems interesting.

>+1
Seems very weak. I'd rather make this a 0 or -N just so it could do more.

>-X
Not even sure why this is here. I agree with the other guys, maybe make Goats instead, but instead of making it a -X, maybe make it an ult (-7? -8?) that scales with the number of creatures you control. Then maybe change +1 to 0 or -1 to put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

You've been pussyfooting around it for this entire conversation. If you aren't ready for something to get criticism yet, and have no plans to do it anytime soon, nor have plans to do it without testing, then why post it for criticism at all? Why not just... Keep it in a file until you're ready to tweak it?

>Seems very weak
Noted. Tift is intended to be something of a hugbox / pillowfort walker, to match his flavor of a loveable goatperson. Perhaps Vigilance isn't the right way to go about that. I'll fiddle around.

>Not even sure why this is here.
I kind of don't want to give him an "Ultimate", thought maybe it's just a trope and I should anyway. I did want to give him some bulk, though. Any ideas for a pillowfort style effect that could slot in here?

Mass goats tokens might work with that, mind you.

GOATS AND A TRADE POST EMBLEM

>why post it for criticism at all? Why not just... Keep it in a file until you're ready to tweak it?
I want my snowflakes to be free! Out in the world for all to see!

The criticisms have all been noted, though. I'll get to changing it when I actually get to it, that's all.

It's still a (temporary) removal spell. Plus can be a bit weak.

I know that. I'm just making an observation that the plus is crap on it's own. It's quite obvious the deck you'd put that card in would be crammed to the brim with exile effects so you can get the most bang for your buck. In a well designed deck, I can easily see that 'walker gaining upwards of 10 life a turn

>GOATS AND A TRADE POST EMBLEM
the question is, do I embrace the goat...

Give in to the Goat side
0 ability gives a goat, Ult is a trade post emblem and 2 goat

>Give in to the Goat side
uh oh...

Still think the ult should be trading post

;_; too much text

I like this.
Goat/goat.

Free trading post? Something similar?

Make it count as a goat somehow.

With Slivers and Phyrexia, don't we have enough multi-plane spreading infections that threaten everything? Maybe instead, make it just a huge threat to one multiverse?

Maybe it just wants a plane to call home and survive in, but its very existence is antithetical to life. Like it doesn't WANT to destroy the plane, but it constantly radiates death, and when people come to investigate, it defends itself.

Fuck, I meant universe where I said multiverse the second time.

>With Slivers and Phyrexia, don't we have enough multi-plane spreading infections that threaten everything? Maybe instead, make it just a huge threat to one multiverse?
The events of this block are very far away from everything else in MTG. The Multiverse is theoreitcally infinite, so I figured if one super antagonist is there, it can just be so distant from Phyrexia that they never meet.

Infinity is a big number.

And, the Big Bad is actually stopped before it can spread too far. It's a happy ending! Not an oops I accidentally'd the multiverse ending.

The stakes are quite high, though. It is basically a "Potential for Phyraxia 2" tier Big Bad.

>Slivers
Yes?

They eventually defeat this Big Bad before it can spread by trapping Ense, who is its host, on a plane. It's wuju magic that prevents planeswalking in and out of this region. The final plane is basically an uninhabitable wasteland, the perfect place to trap such a being. Unfortunately, the device has to be activated from the plane. This forces one of the Walkers to stay behind, sealing themselves in with the Big Bad, resulting in a final battle between the two!

I like this one the best of all of them, honestly.

I guess I'll throw a garbage walker into the ring. I haven't tried making one in ages, and I'm sure it shows. I like impulse draw so I decided to build one around it.

>-2
Worldfire incoming.

You know I second guessed myself at first, and made it CMC 3 or less, then I took it off at the last minute. Reckon I'll staple it back on then.

Sharing some stuff for an anime themed, custom Cube.

Hmm...

Just an idea.

Just a few ideas for time-themed spells. The idea here is that a time wizard has to stop an evil version of himself from an alternate timeline from destroying the past, present, and future.

That's objectively terrible

When does it end?

I'm not sure which of these orders I like better. I know it normally goes +, then -, but it seems more ideal, to me, to activate the - first?

It's based on a door prize game at the local card shop, the tibalt challenge. Three facedown cards; a great standard, a good standard card, or a tibalt

>It's based on a door prize game at the local card shop, the tibalt challenge. Three facedown cards; a great standard, a good standard card, or a tibalt
Seems like an interesting idea. This isn't really the same, but I hope it gets the basic point across.

Put a silver border on this.

Changed this a bit to emulate the -ling creatures (Morphling, Aetherling, Thornling, Torchling) due to feedback on the previous design.

New to planeswalker design, this is I feel my cleanest so far so feedback would be appreciated
(it's from the MSE boards and the context was to create a walker with two PW types which is why it's like.. that)

The Rezus probably have too much going on? I know planeswalkers tend to be wordy but 12/13 lines over 4 abilities is a huge amount
Also Rezu's Tampering doesn't give permanents vanishing with its second mode but I don't know if that was intentional

Double planeswalkers is a thing that I've been interested in especially since Meld. I actually thought for sure we'd see them in Oath of the Gatewatch even before then too. First ability seems like it's doing a lot of things.Can't be blocked, but also have to register that it's actually skulk, then it gets a combat damage trigger, which is scry 2 which feels unconnected and kind of random. Second ability is awesome as it usually is because it's a sweet UB thing. I feel like the last ability has the same issue as the first. I guess the idea is that it taps things down so guys can get through, but eh. I thik perhaps a better design where you're not trying to mash colors together for each ability would be something like +N: Blue Jace ability, -N: Black Vraska ability, -N: Combined.

You just pissed off a barbarian.

Woohoo double fail!

Would you use this?

I'm amazed you don't know that name is taken.

Players don't deal damage to things. The damage needs to come from a game object (i.e. the emblem).

Way too much text on those walkers my dude.

Get your goddamn act together

Damn. Lets just ignore the card, any thoughts on giving spells flash and split second until end of turn? Is it undercosted or over?

Thoughts?

How do I word this ability?

White effect might be a bit too good but I like it otherwise

I like it.

Can you explain what you are trying to do here? If you're playing auras your throwing them away and if you're expecting your opponent to be then why not just give it hexproof?

I was thinking the opposite of voltron, where your aura's become creatures and go wide, with an option to go Spirit tribal.
How about X/X creatures where X is the CMC, either with or without flying?

I see what youre saying. If I wanted to play this guy, I'd probably want to be able to either move auras around, target specific creatures, or put them all on one guy. Maybe something like "Whenever you play an aura spell, create 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying. If you do, you may attach any number of auras you control to it."

Your X/X CMC creatures would be in a different direction entirely so it'd be up to you.

Some random plays off of or tweaks of other cards.

>where X is the power of this creature's power
I chuckled a little. I think you want "where X is this creature's power". It's an interesting alternative to Fling.

You can just put "~ can't be blocked unless defending player discards a card." for the first one.

I thought so too, but then I saw Ogre Marauder and figured it was worded that way for a reason, so I followed suit.

Could stand to be instant.

The problem is, all your cards should be good. So this is just draw two for R with the ability to sometimes steal something.

It needs something like Signal the Clans where it checks that you actually searched for 3 different cards, and didn't just fail to find 2.