What is the role of knighthood in your setting? Are they questing heroes, young mercenary nobles, or a mere honorific?

What is the role of knighthood in your setting? Are they questing heroes, young mercenary nobles, or a mere honorific?

Skilled Fighters/Paladins that have proven their worth and have been honored by the ruler. If the party is going to fuck with a knight at low levels they better fight him/her alone or get their asses kicked.

In the case of other more corrupt kingdoms, some noble who managed to buy some plate armor and got in with connections.

>What is the role of knighthood in your setting?
rape
>Are they questing heroes, young mercenary nobles, or a mere honorific?
cunts

Questing knight are task with completing impossible quest, aka exiled. On the off chance they return, the knight is sent to a frontier region to be forgotten and die an honorless death. I did not develope much of the defending knight as there was no need to. They're just high level guard to important thing.
I jerked off to that pic before.

A title that nominally grants an individual to execute justice, though they're usually used as a force of armed retainers.

Aside from acting as ornamental honour guards for the various royalty, as well as a few high ranking nobles and bishops, the role and station of knights is largely defunct. Set to the backdrop and at the tail's end of a strict but waning Late Middle Ages type setting, many cultures and kingdoms have already started their Renaissance like revolutions.

With peace reigning throughout the greater continents for the better part of ninety years, knighthood, as established by humanity's own design, has become overtly romantic, and in short order. Just as the Age of Adventure reached its zenith, a coterie of knights-errant struck out in chivalric pursuit of worldly distinction and achievements, setting the groundwork for themselves and their languishing warrior caste to join the ranks of adventurers proper.

i.e. They're adventurers, no different than any others, having lost their political and military usefulness.

>That shitty lore
>That spoiler text

Sometimes people disappoint you not because they don't meet your expectations, but because they meet them exactly.

In my setting there are essentially 5 "types" of units that monsters/invaders would enconter when invading humans lands.

Those are;

militia - basically just peasants with weapons and basic armor, they don't have much/any combat training but are capable of fighting lesser threats to their communities as well as stalling invading orcs for better trained human units to arrive.

guard - the police of this world, armed like militia but with better training, also carry wooden batons to beat robbers/thieves without killing them.

footman - the standard rank and file of the human kingdom, these warriors are well trained and equipped.

knight - horse carried shock troopers, they hail from the nobility of the land, each noble house needs to provide at least 1 son to train as a knight. Most noble houses provide several knights each.

paladin - the most powerful human soldier one could encounter on the battlefield, they're all nobles that have finished their knight training but decided to continue with their religious education, they have learned spells to banish ghosts and spirits alike and are also proficient in healing magic. While most ride horse some walk among the other ground troops and serve as a commander to them on the battlefield.

>his setting has knights

Btw what's the etymology behind the english word for ''knight''.

A knight in my setting is essentially a fantasy cop with the captain serving as the captain and the monarch being the chief of police

Warcraft?

Secular knights are the bottom rung of nobility. They hold land granted to them by a more powerful noble, or in some cases the king himself, and in return offer militaty service when called upon.

A young noble of the knightly class will be sent to page and later squire for another knight, so they can themselves eventaully become a knight, around the age of 7 or 8. The bond between a knight and their squire is usually incredibly strong, like that of a parent and child.

Glory, chivalry, honour and adventure are all idealised by knights. Many questing knights aren't actually dashing young heroes but middle aged knights, whose eldest child has only just finished their training and returned home. At this point, some knights entrust their manor to their child for anywhere between a few months and a few years, as with their property in safe hands they finally have an opportunity to go on a grand quest. Of course, young knights do still go on quests: those whose own parents are uninterested in adventure, or those with older siblings who have already trained to become knights and become involved in the running of the manor.

Most wars are still resolved by a fighting force that motly consists of knights. The use of peasant levies, mercenary companies or standing armies of soldiers is widely seen as dishonourable and is often regarded as the desperate act of a country that knows it can't win a war with the strength of its own proud knights.

Because some land in every country is held by the clergy rather than the nobility, some of the knights on this land will be 'church knights.' These are knights who are sworn to the church rather than the king, meaning that they aren't obligated to fight on any king's behalf but they are obligated to engage in religious conflicts such as crusades or wars of conversion. Church knights are just as romantic as secular knights but far more devout. A higher proportion of them were once peasants, knighted for their devotion to the church.

Yes, my setting is heavily based on warcraft 3. Focusing mostly on the human-orc conflict.

Mostly an honorific that is bestowed to those trusted by the King or Queen of the land that granted it. With it comes certain privileges such as ability to enter the palace grounds without invite, an invite to festivals or balls the King or Queen holds, offer of land to oversee but are not required to take and future employment should their services be required for more delicate or sever matters. However any who are knighted that abuse such a station, in most countries, will be stripped of the title and disgraced. Being granted such means acting to a minimum standard.

You have the entire internet at your disposal. Use it.

Not him, but it does range an interesting question (for me at least). I've noticed that when we look at the various words for knight, the Germanic ones always translate to servant and the Latin ones always to something like 'horseman' (though French does have a separate word for non-noble horseman, I think it's chevalier for knights and cavalier for ordinary horseman?). I wonder why that is. Perhaps it holds some sort of relation to the Roman class of equites, who weren't entirely knights but somewhat of a predecessor to their medieval counterparts?

They aren't female I can tell you that

So your setting is shitty and you smell like old socks?

Self important landlords who can afford their own arms and armor.

>His setting doesn't exclusively have female knights
>His setting doesn't have legal and cultural restrictions in place that prevent men from advancing any higher than squires
>His setting doesn't have a custom where knights often (but not always) end up marrying their squires
>He doesn't want to aid an dress the wounds of a muscular ladyknight
If you don't think that's the tightest shit you can get out of my face.

People who have pledged service in war in return for access to land or some other revenue source.

Knights, also known as Asena, only really exist among the half-Celtic half-Britannia wolf people known as Rorakin. They are a female-only caste of druidic warriors who act as religious peacekeepers and military commanders. Some are sent on adventures at a young age for a variety of reasons such as being sold as a mercenary for military funds or to go on trials for their teacher, who is often a druid in their local town who has marked their family for nobility.

>Female only furry order

So you hate fun i see