/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools is currently hosted at lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html, however it could be chopped down at any time. Get yourself a local copy below to be safe.

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Last time on /5eg/:
Do I have to share experience point with my mount, pet, and hireling on top of having to feed and pay for them?

Other urls found in this thread:

lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck
reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/7b9p36/5e_homebrew_artificer_version_cannonsmith_thunder/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Does 5etools not work on mobile? Everything seems blank

Not in my game, what's a horse going to with levels?

A warhorse could make decent use of some fighter levels.

So how would you fix the Artificer if you think its bad/underwhelming? Would you prefer an Eldritch Invocation style upgrade system like this homebrew or something different? Do you think its fine as is?

>Do I have to share experience point with my mount, pet, and hireling on top of having to feed and pay for them?
not sure but shit like this is why house rules exists

Not die from any AoE attack when you get higher level and his health pool becomes hilariously inadequate.

Look fine to me.

Man, if it allows my familiar to have actual health I would gladly share xp!

I have a game possibly coming up in a month o"r so, and I've decided that bard might be a fun change of pace (assuming I can roll well enough to have a viable one). Is there anything I should keep in mind when making one? Any particularly nice colleges?

Aside from BB/GFB, what are some good Wizard Cantrips for an shillelagh Arcana Cleric? I was actually thinking Acid Splash just for more range then GFB and using BB as my melee Shillelagh combo piece.

Battle Master > Cavalier > Arcane Archer > Eldritch Knight > Champion >>> Purple Shit Knight

Only considering the archetypes from 3rd to 10th level (where people actually play)

A friend will be choosing the beastmaster conclave, the revised version, how is it?

Fine.

Why didn't you include the 5etools site? The one by the devs.

Which book has the cavalier?

Xanathar's Guide to Everything

I'd say EK is better then AA, in fact I'd say it's the best Fighter levels 7+ just because 2nd/3rd/4th level spells will always be better then "Yay +1d8 damage and trip". BM and Cav definitely beat it before level 7 though.

Also you forgot Samurai, which I'd put above just Champion.

Other then those issues I've got with it sounds right.

Xanathers. It's quite possibly the best designed thing from the book, bit below Battlemaster in terms of raw combat but it has interesting fluff and abilities that make it super fun.

Any of them, really. If you're looking for solid damage, Firebolt and Chill Touch are good, though if you're going to stick with a save spell, maybe pick up Frostbite.

I think some of the arcane shots have pretty powerful effects and only 2 or 3 2nd level spells don't do it for me, that's why I ranked EK below

>you forgot Samurai,
Ops

>which I'd put above just Champion.
I disagree, 3 advantages/day is not that good

We've had multiple forks of 5etools before and only one link in the topic.

Not having both visible is a way to avoid BOTH getting DMCA'd.

>the one by the devs.
Uh, which devs? The original dev ditched it when 5etools was kill the first time, and astranauta abandoned their version when Wizards threatened to rape him.

Not him, but the claim is that someone is going to update 5etools.

5 temporary hp and an advantage is way better than improved crit range, and proficiency in wisdom saves as well is way better than Athlete. Also at level 10, if you have no uses remaining of fighting spirit you get one whenever you roll initiative so it's pretty good.

I'd say Eldritch Knight is a solid 3rd, or even above Cavalier in terms of usefulness. Spellcasting makes a massive difference, and the Eldritch Knight might be inferior as a gish to the Hexblade, but as a close quarters fighter that can use spells it's fairly effective as a Fighter/Magic-User multiclass from yore.

lore bards are arguably the best caster in the game if you want to just be a full on caster but all the subclasses are very good for their roles

I'd put it above Champion just because it gets Wisdom save proficiency, and some good social abilities.

Also true, but it's also worth noting that at level 7-11 EK gets to Cantrip and attack, which is between +1d8 damage to 2d8+INT every round for free. Which puts it's damage higher then other fighters until 3rd attack.

And once you get to 3rd attack then the Disadvantage on a save or suck even if you only have 14 INT is a big deal. Or you can just treat those spell slots for nothing but Shields and Enlarge Person and still be going strong.

In fact if you can trigger GFB/BB secondary damage, then it's either 4d8+INT/5d8 damage onto one of your attacks, which is better then using your third attack.

Glamour sounds fun as fuck, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.

I like this whole idea to be honest. I would take it a bit further; rework Artificer so it's an Int-based Pact Magic class, with its own 'Invocations/upgrades' that can be refluffed as tinkery-gadgets you slapped together in your downtime. Arcanum style features are powerful inventions that effectively cast a spell of those levels.

For this specific homebrew, I would love the idea of an 'alchemist' artificer, who focuses on buffing/debuffing enemies and creating potions and scaling Alchemist's Fire.

Magic item creation would be difficult, but similar to copying down spells with a wizard's spellbook; magic items that you can study and reference are easy to create, creating something that you have no access to beyond stories and legends is not. Spend a spell slot, exotic materials and at least 1 long rest to make a magic item, more if it's complicated. Make acquiring the idea/blueprints of certain magic items a fun little quest.

Remember to use your Bardic Inspiration. Seriously. I kept forgetting that and it was irritating as hell. Also, if there's a role in your party that's a bit lacking you can build for that.

yeah this is pretty spot on

pretty decent actually

Ok i agree with you on the Samurai, but I just don't get the EK, it has too few spells

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces

>Trove

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Last time on /5eg/:

>forwhatpurpose.monk

>if you have no uses remaining of fighting spirit you get one whenever you roll initiative so it's pretty good
Once you get to this Samurai becomes pretty decent, shame it's so late.

still a lot of utility to them though

This
You don't play the EK like a wizard fighting in melee. You play it like a fighter with access to counterspell/shield/absorb elements etc. It truly makes a difference in how durable you get. Even if there are no enemy casters in your campaign, shield and CC is always amazing.

Please elaborate?

Does anyone know any good homebrew/options for a crafting class? All the ones I found are either shite or so complicated they require 45 pages of instructions and mechanics

If you aren't optimized you aren't having fun.

Is it worthy pumping INT as an Orc wizard or should I just leave it at 6? You can't start with more than 13 INT, so maybe it's better to focus on CON, DEX or feats

Have at least 13 int for an orc wizard

with the level scaling of the beast and it being able to add proficiency to damage it basically combined with its own health pool it's a pretty nice overall damage output and hp tank potential

you sound fun to be around and play with

Unlike sorcerers (Where CHA really doesn't matter), Wizards need INT for all their abilities and number of spells prepared.
Having 3 less spells prepared (-2 vs +1) would really suck. At that point you may as well play a Sorcerer since you'll have the same number of spells prepared as they'd have known..

Why an odd score?

>For this specific homebrew, I would love the idea of an 'alchemist' artificer, who focuses on buffing/debuffing enemies and creating potions and scaling Alchemist's Fire.

The homebrewer is actually working on this alongside a bunch of other subclasses.

>Wandsmith (more casting heavy, a Wandslinger that can more freely use a handful of lower level spells they can swap out).

>Weaponsmith (closest to Cannonsmith, but more magical and melee focused).

>Alchemist (more infusion heavy, with more total power but more preparation conditions - you'd have some improvable concoctions, and some more powerful ones you could prepare at the start of the day).

>Golem Rider (a more martial alternative to rune smith, focused on rider the mechanical servant - or at least fighting direct tandem with it, with it in more of support role).

>Self-Forged. I think this is just going to be a note variant on the Warsmith instead of a separate subclass, but am still considering this.
A Warforged only variant, but I think this overlaps with the Self-Forged and Warsmith. I think you could just make a Warforged Warsmith with the Self-Forged variant and get most of what I want here.

>Gagetteer. A more support focused build, maybe Dex/Int centric.

I hope they turn out okay.

It's actually good. Quite simply because now it actually poses a real threat, meaning you have a unique ability of dominating action economy in a way most summoners can only do temporarily while using concentration.

I recommend going archery, while having your pet harass people in melee and keep them off your back. Remember that the beast can grapple someone to stop them getting close to you, and you can use spells like Longstrider or Healing Spirit to keep it alive.

Question, is there a way to be not!Ironman? If not then I'm out

I'm a little on the fence with artificers, I don't think they're too boring and I've been enjoying my gunsmith, Alchemist definitely has this weird air of not a lot of interesting choices, and while the idea of a mechanical servant is rad on paper and with a proper GM to upgrade it, makes it really cool, it does feel really ham fisted, but I'm still a novice to D&D so I wouldn't really know better.
Reading through this though is much better, these look way more fun

It was at least, and so you can multiclass in and out

Yes there is a way to be not!ironman, its called a Warsmith. Here is how you do it.

>Artificer Warsmith
>Sentient Armor 1&2
>Flight
>Force Blast
>Energy Surge
>Lightning Projector
>Virtual Wizard
>Power Slam Capacitor
>Speed
Don't forget to pick up Elemental Adept & Mobile if you want more speed, Have fun!

I had an alchemist in my group they hated it, my group had a life cleric in it so they felt less needed. I worry if we had a Wizard they would feel even worse. So I recommended that homebrew and they switched up to Warsmith. They are loving it so far.

Thanks heaps, bros! Looks like Wizards really fixed what was a subpage archetype. My friend'll have fun playing it.

Good to hear they're enjoying warsmith, not great hearing how everyone didn't like alchemist, it's really a pain just how much wasted potential there is with them and just how painfully outclassed they are compared to just either other classes or Gunsmith.

So I rolled up a pretty mediocre wizard a couple weeks ago (10, 10, 13, 16, 8, 12) for the start of a new campaign. My group also has a Barbarian, a rouge, and a bladesinger. We just found a magical sword artifact that apparently “chose” me, and I’m the only one who is allowed to attune to it. The problem is that I’m objectively the worst person in my party to use it. Should I work my entire character around this sword, with the hopes of it being worth it? Or just ignore it?

I can’t multiclass (no stats good enough yet) so I have zero armor proficiencies easily available. I could get ruby of the war mage so the sword can be my focus, but then that’s 2 out of 3 attunement slots taken up. The sword also levels up after I complete challenges, the first of which is to swim a mile completely unaided (no magic or help of any sort), but I have a whopping +0 to my athletics check so that’s pure luck. I could put a feat into it, but stil...

>reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/7b9p36/5e_homebrew_artificer_version_cannonsmith_thunder/

Unfortunate, but maybe in an update the WotC version won't be so bad. Until then though this brew is pretty solid. If you have any criticisms/feedback I would recommend voicing your opinions to the guy who made it on Reddit.

Play a bladesinger

Players, how often is character from out of town/country/plane/whatever? I usually do this so that my knowledge of the DMs setting matches my own, which is to say zero.

So after all this discusion about Beastmasters, how bad am I gimping myself by taking a Goat companion? Am I better off asking the DM for a weaker version of the Giant Goat?

My idea was lower size to medium, one less hit die and change all the 2d4 damage to 1d6. Thoughts?

Your goat companion better not be Satan.

Thanks m8, fun times ahead

No, he's a cheery goat who enjoys playing and frolicking. I raised him to worship Kord so he grows big and strong.

Is the goat charging into battle, or is it the sure-footed mount of a Halfling/Gnome?

The former, I'd say ask your DM if you can flavor the Boar as a Goat. The latter, you'll probably be fine.

I won't multiclass

Okay, so how should I distribute my stats? I was thinking:

STR 8 (+2) = 10
DEX 15
CON 15 (+1) = 16
INT 15 (-2) = 13
WIS 8
CHA 8

And then pump DEX to 16 and INT to 14 at fourth level.

M*rtials. How do you make them effective in the standard high magic campaign?

skiddo needs more love

Not an elf

Former, figured I'd go Archery and let him charge in to fuck shit up. Also Boar is a great idea, just swap the Relentless for Sure Footed. Kinda sad about the lack of Charisma though, after maxing STR I wanted to make him lovable.

Skiddo is the best. Going to find some nice Skiddo art for my Goat's token I think.

Lot's of high magic weapons, armour and of course items that replicate spells. Make them diverse and kinda crazy, do weird shit.

Are you trying to get legitimate wizard, or meme wizard? Cause I could see some actual potential in a 6INT abjuration wizard with a 2h melee weapon. All you'd need is mage armour and maybe mirror image prepared, have find familiar ritual to spam and abuse it with help action.

desu I'm an optimizing ass and can't condone the 13 int (that's a 10% greater chance an enemy saves vs a 16!) but I'd see a 16 16 16 6 8 8 being 'fun'. Convince your DM to let you have martial prof for great axe.

>Cause I could see some actual potential in a 6INT abjuration wizard with a 2h melee weapon
I feel like War Wizard would work better, it's not like you're going to be casting many spells with this guy in combat. Plus Power Surge is probably going to be more useful then the Counter/Dispel boost.

Like said but also read mythology and let your players do crazy shit as they start getting higher. These aren't just simple mortals, these are people who might as well be demigods.

Magic items and letting them do awesome stuff is a good idea. When Bill the Fighter can make a reasonable Strength Check to kick the castle door off it's hinges then mid-high level play gets a lot more interesting for him.

I wish the system did that for me.

It never stops you? There's literally no rules saying that the Paladin can't knock down a giant pillar onto someone, hell with the item damage rules and mason's tool proficiency in XGE it should be rather easy.

Most people just assume that they shouldn't because the intro fluff for most martials is really damn boring.

It does, because it doesn't strictly prohibit it. Nowhere in the system does it say martials can't do superhuman feats, despite fighting shit that no normal human would stand a chance against. The issue is magic is self explanatory, it's fucking magic and therefore fantastic and reality bending. Where as most DMs compare martials to an approximate real life counterpart. All I'm suggesting is change what you compare it to and suddenly your martials are doing things that make them the legends they should be.

I avoid it whenever possible. We have a guy who always plays weird outsiders with no stake in what's going on and honestly it just feels like he's lazy and/or doesn't give a shit about the setting.

Rarely, that say I learn about the setting and have convenient ways of working in plot hooks should we hit a lull.

I normally have them from somewhere exotic, but still within reason and with a real reason to be here.

My last to characters were a runaway rebel from an overseas country after their coup went to hell, and a Wizard from a country that just got out of war where he was more or less a child soldier they were training as the last line of defence.

This right here

Most people compare martial to real-life fighter, while forgetting that in our world most people would stop at 3 level and legendary heros like Hercule would be lvl 5 or 6

yes at level 5 or 6 your fighter isnt some jackass who know how to swing a sword, hes literal demigod who can stand swiming into lava for 6 seconds and still live.

Yet most mage supremacist insist that all they should do is to swing their weapon.

I disagree. Ain't no rule against a dog playing basketball doesn't mean the rules of the game are made for dogs playing basketball.

In the case of dnd, the rules for martials tend to prohibit supernatural feats of skill or strength. The barbarian can't pull Africa and euope together, he can only carry a few hundred pounds. The rogue can't outrun the horizon, (unless she's. Catgirl wizard too, but I digress). The fighter can't throw javelins so far they disappear over the horizon, he's got a range limit.

You can say that I should allow athletics checks to permit these activities, but what justification do you have to prevent the wizard from demanding arcana checks to ignore his rules?

So back to the original point: I wish the 5e rules allowed cool things for my martial players.

Technically the wizard with -1 con could stand in lava too.

And Hercules accomplished feats of strength beyond 20th level fighters mechanically.

I'd say even someone as comparatively weak as mcu captain America would be beyond the mechanics of 5e to create. That helicopter curl man.

the wizards can already do that with his spells, which also have little internal consistencies.

But if the fighter can break his class feature and general rules with a skill check, why can the wizard not break his spell rules with an arcana check. Applying DM fiat equally seems fair to me, unless one side in this hypothetical is actually worse than the other.

from a purely mechanical viewpoint, you could argue that Hercule had a template that gave him +20 strength or whatever.

Not then but, the final saying really comes down to the DM. If the DM says "well, you strength is really high/superhuman already, if you get a high enough roll I will allow it", then you're good to go.
Most DMs I've played with were quite cool with strength feats, and that would always give us some really awesome moments - of course, nothing as big as pulling two continents together, but way above the human limit.

Except that template doesn't exist, from a purely mechanical standpoint.

Also 40 strength would be insufficient to pull two Continental plates together or push them apart.

still the point is that his strength didnt came from his ''class'' but from his origin, namely that he is born of a god.

I'm not saying they can do the impossible, I'm saying that a high level martial should be able to do stuff normal humans can't. Because he's not a normal human, however he's still human. A level 20 Fighter can make 8 attack in 6 seconds, which is much more then any human could possibly do but still isn't breaking the laws of physics or anything.

The out run the horizon and pick the lock to someone's heart crap doesn't have a place in D&D unless they bring back epic levels where you are literal god levels of strong.

However that doesn't mean that martials shouldn't be able to bend bars no normal human could, climb up a mountain that most people would need gear for or sneak their way into castle. it's a very big line separating what martials should be able to do, and what all the "BUFF MARTIALS TO BE GODS" people say they should do.

>warlocks can't create a gun as their pact weapon

why live

What is a gun but a light/heavy crossbow?

Imo dnd will always be fundamentally unbalanced as long as we pretend that one side getting to be creative with the laws of physics and another side being restricted to somewhere between high school athlete and 2xolympian is fair.

I'm looking at making a variant ranger for a 5e game. Looking at the class it seems beast masters got a significant buff, but how useful are the new animal companions and rules for them?

Badgers get a burrow speed which is amazing if you're creative.

I'm a bit new here, so sorry if this isn't the right place to be asking or posting, but I need a bit of help. I'm going to my party's next game because we pissed our usual GM. I wanted to make a small campaign to last a few sessions, so I started thinking a story, and I wanted someone to give it a quick read and see if it sounds interesting or fun to play it. Right now it's really just a rough sketch, but enough to know what I'm going for.
Is anyone interested in helping and can I post it here?

>Is anyone interested in helping and can I post it here?
No because you pissed your DM, you're a bad person

Don't think of a story. Your players will never allow you to plan something as complex as a story.

What did you do to your GM?

I completely agree, but until someone actually fixes this DMs have to take it upon themselves to get creative and being more flexible just to bring martials up to casters level. If casters start whining point out each spell that can do what he did and ask of they'd rather burn a slot and not have it or let the martial do some Herculian shit.

Because it's going to be taken down again since the retards running it aren't fixing the problem.

aight how much of a retarded class idea is this and how fast should I kill myself for coming up with it
>fighter hit die, all armor+shield proficiencies
>no weapon profs
>instead you learn cantrips, but from all existing lists, on levelups
>cantrip damage doesn't scale with levels, instead
>you gain features akin to fighter's extra attack but they're extra casts of your cantrips
>can only use those extra casts on cantrips you get from this class

The GM was changing our game every other session, it was pretty much play once, next week he would say he is getting bored/getting new ideas, next session he brings up his new campaign and now we need to redo our characters or start again. It's one thing to do one-shots, but just restarting every other week is a pain in the ass, so this time we told him to stick to one campaign and refused to change it. He gave up and kept running the last game, but instead of doing it properly, he decided to be a dick the entire time, so one of us called him out, and he played the "oh well, if you're so good why don't you do it". After that we really didn't want to play anymore, and the guy doesn't like to be the GM so he asked me to do it. Everyone said they were fine with me and the old GM doesn't want to run the game anymore.

Well, you need some background for the game to happen, can't just put everyone in an open field and let them run loose without any background, goals, events or anything.

Eldritch Knight and Hexblade are very different, even though they are both technically ways to become a gish.

Hexblade is a spellcaster that adds a bit of martial prowess, allowing it to attack from range and then go into melee should it have to do so with powerful damage options, but is not encouraged to do so due to its rather average chassis. Spells and invocations are an essential part of its toolkit.

Eldritch Knight is a warrior with 1/3rd spellcasting progression. While weaker in casting than other gishes, its chassis is way more resilient with second wind, d10 hit dice, heavy armor proficiency from the get go, Action Surge and 3-4 attacks depending on how far you want to go, a Fighting Style and the most ASIs availaible.

It does really depend on how you want to go about it. Both are gish, but of very different playstyle.