Why do you enjoy GMing over playing?

Why do you enjoy GMing over playing?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!1UAHTCqK!pH4Hn5X8Q_HSNpD1cm-d2qJ_XnuBxEiTTlJrU8iGtW0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't. I just run the games i wish someone else would run.

As a player I can inflict at most 2-3 lolis on the world. As a GM, I can have entire companies. Clans. A whole species or race of lolis.

Also somebody’s gotta do it and it’s kinda cool when the guys tell me they had fun after a session. Cool enough to prepare for the next, at least.

@56828387
dont post

Nobody will ever be able to run a game I will enjoy we much as I can. So I'd rather run a good game id enjoy than play in endless mediocre games.

No game allows me to make the characters I actually want to play. All the types of mechanics I generally like are always underpowered.

Mainly because I have never met anyone who could GM very well, so my experiences as a player are usually a lot less fun.

This.

Because I'm a creative person with a background in cinema and story telling and on of the few people around who know how to really handle an interactive story.

Because I'm playing the system I like, at least. It's the only way I can play the games I like - while it really sucks (forever GM), I still have fun. I miss playing, though.

I don't. But I can't find anyone to DM systems, settings and themes I actually like for me, and despite I'd rather play than DM, I'd rather DM my games than play D&D. Or other shit that lies in easy tier in category of gamefinding.

Also, few people in my usual circles of gamers couldn't run a semi-decent game if their lifes would depend on it.

And it seems its not so rare occurence:
Which is quite sad for the hobby, really, but what can one do against such circumstances?

I don't. I would much rather play, but I'm the only one competent enough to GM a game that isn't a total shit show. What you fail to realize, OP, is that the entire TTRPG hobby community can be broken up into three camps.
1. The ForeverGM: This is your competent GM who will never be anything other than GM because the pressure for them to be GM is too high due to them not being complete morons, and because they are surrounded by a sea of morons who would run a shit game if the ForeverGM ever did get a chance to play.
2. The Delusional PlayerGM: This is your person who is overwhelmingly often a player, but may run a one-shot, or take over GMing for a night once is a great while. This player does this for one of two reasons being that they either think that GMing is easy and that it isn't as much work as it is, so they try to prove themselves by running these, or they know that GMing isn't all it is cracked up to be, and they try to help the GM out by relieving them once in a while. Either way, their lack of practical application and internal knowledge of the workings of all things in cohesion will invariably make this anywhere from a shit show to something incredibly mediocre. Either way, the Delusional PlayerGM will think they did a good job.
3. PLAYERONLY: PLAYERONLY is the overwhelming majority of the hobby, and while a select few are genuine treasures, overwhelming majority of PLAYERONLYs are shit people with trite ideas for trite characters that they think are wholly their own representative ideas of their personalities, much in the way that a furrsona is unique to an individual, but on a whole it is just another anthropomorphic template with a handful taken from a grab bag of overemployed character traits sprinkled on top. The PLAYERONLY doesn't respect you or your time, and thinks the game is solely for the players, and makes no effort to help the GM in any way because the GM's job is to GM without gratitude.

Welcome to TTRPGs. What camp are you in?

Please bear in mind that these camps don't take into account THATGUY or THATGM and generally make up the people that, maybe aren't the best, but do make up the people that aren't so horrifically awful that you won't play with them again.

I long for the day where I can play under a competent GM who understands the intracacies of my group...

Because, then, I get to play more than one character. Also, I actually give a shit about making interesting and/or engaging settings and story hooks, whereas most GMs are content with dungeon crawling in Genericsville, Florida.

Are you playing under a GM that is the GM because players like their play? Or are they GMing because they're really the only on available? You are probably playing under a PlayerGM in the guise of a ForeverGM due to necessity of circumstance, most frequently and most notoriously lack of alternative GM talent.

I have a game I run because nobody else will/the one that will likes to run empty sandboxes where he once literally gave us the fetch 10 boar asses quest

the other one is a weekly game that's more interaction/rp based ran by another person who also has the "I don't like the way other people run" that I am a player in. Too bad it gets cancelled at least twice a month.

Your first example sounds like you have a 2 that is acting as a 1 like This happens a lot, unfortunately. Truly need of GMs is great, competence is scare, and imbeciles are plentiful.

Your second game sounds like a genuine 1, more or less.

I enjoy making a lot of people happy
Also the guys i hang out with cant really GM properly, they dont do prep and their worlds and quests arent really interesting

As a DM, I am good at respecting players and giving them opportunities to have fun and see their creations go in memorable directions. As a player, I suck shit at doing those same things for GMs.

>2. The Delusional PlayerGM: This is your person who is overwhelmingly often a player, but may run a one-shot, or take over GMing for a night once is a great while. This player does this for one of two reasons being that they either think that GMing is easy and that it isn't as much work as it is, so they try to prove themselves by running these, or they know that GMing isn't all it is cracked up to be, and they try to help the GM out by relieving them once in a while. Either way, their lack of practical application and internal knowledge of the workings of all things in cohesion will invariably make this anywhere from a shit show to something incredibly mediocre. Either way, the Delusional PlayerGM will think they did a good job.

>me
>want to get into DnD
>have a playerDM who cant even walk me through character creation
>takes weeks to actually organize a session

I think im gonna drop out of that group

Do you mean Halflings and Gnomes

Because I can create an enjoyable experience for my friends, and that they're satisfied and had fun is incredibly rewarding. It makes all the time and creative investment entirely worth it, and it's incomparable to anything else I commonly experience.

Oh my god, you portrayed so much one of my player (playerGM) it's scary.

He's not that bad actualy but atteint the beginning he continously argue how he would handle the situation as GM or try to tell other players how to play.

But since he has GM 3-4 times, he behave like that way less often.

I can tell a story past the introduction arc.

I can actually run a game instead of sitting in the planning stage for 1+ year, hoping that I'll magically find all that free time I need after work to put my thoughts down in a coherent form.

I'm addicted to encounter design.

Unfortunately I love being a player so I have to keep getting stung by 1 and 2 here.

Well the "If you want something done, do it yourself" saying is really true for tabletop. There are so many systems, settings, and tones. The options are near limitless.

And equally as many options to fuck it up.

I enjoy both. I have been rotating groups and companies, and trying to keep with people who has the capacity to run games too, and not just play them.

You see, the players who GM once or twice are a lot less likely to be cunts. They usually grow out of the self-insert power/fetish fantasy thing That Guys usually fall into. They are more understanding towards the structure of your game, story, and the occasional fuck up. If they don't like something, they are more prone to speak OOC, rather than trying to sabotage everything IC.

tl;dr: People who do or did both are a lot better to play with, than those who do only one.

Because I don't trust anyone else in my group to not be an idiot when they GM.

I really enjoy the positive reactions when I GM well.

Also you can realize ideas you have far better as a GM than as a player

If this really is as common as people say, then I'm crazy lucky. I'm in a circle of friends where all of us are competent GM's and run games for one another pretty regularly. Some people run a little more or a little less, but everyone is a player most of the time and a GM some of the time.

I play in a group where our biggest problem is that everybody wants to GM and everybody wants to experience playing in the other people's proposed games but we only have time for two concurrent games tops, and more realistically, only one.

Halflings and gnomes are for the shortstack flavor. I mean vampires and demons and dragons, other stuff like that.

From personal experience, I would add in one more category, or at least a subcategory

The burnout: This is someone who is a GM, often a forever GM, but who snapped for whatever reason and won't GM anymore. They're usually good players, and sometimes want to GM again, but rarely muster up the energy or the will to do so.

I've been forced into forever GMing because the guy I used to alternate with (and whom I will freely admit is a better GM than I will ever be) had a "bad" (read, okayish, but not up to his usual standards of excellence) campaign, and hasn't felt like GMing since.

I'm the one that wrote that, and at this point in my GMing career I am also pretty lucky. I am GM of a custom campaign setting my players enjoy, and all of my players have GM'd their own campaigns at one point with varying degrees of succes and duration (one still GMs his own campaign on the side, but uses a premade setting and just makes up his own adventures, I believe). They all understand how tedious and laborious GMing can be in certain aspects, and how it can be cool in others. I am GM because frankly I am the most thorough and meticulous of the group, but I am okay with GMing for this group rather than dreading it as I have with groups in the past because they see the amount of work I have spent putting this all together, and they respect and appreciate my labors and design. I have run for a lot, and I mean a lot, of really shitty groups in the past, and this is far and away my best group. I have finally reached, after this seemingly eternal, toilsome journey, what I can call GM Providence as well, my friend. I am thankful that I do not have to endure what I know to exist in the hobby community's Badlands.

Both are Hella fun but I enjoy storytelling, worldbuilding, and game design

I'm blessed with IRL friends to play with too

This.

Burnout is a ForeverDM, but I admit is an unfortunately common reality. I was a burnout until I finally got this
Group and campaign setting together after 5+ (lost count, really) years of not GMing anything because of the three groups I had prior to that all being horrific in succession to one another.

I like getting to make complex stories and characters who interact with the party.

Also someone's gotta do it.

You're either in a group of high-end 2s and all satisfied with mediocrity as long as it was fun enough at the moment, or you live in some kind of GM producing anomoly of a location that creates genuine ForeverGMs through some sort of unknown combination of factors. If the latter is true, you should really have your friends move to particularly GM deprived places like that person earlier who said they long for a competent GM. But, I honestly think it is far more likely the former is the reality.

Im going to say a 4th group. The perfered GM.

For me i do not enjoy playing any more only dming. Story creation, wouldbuilding, and watching my players struggle gives me endless more joy then playing.

Well for what it's worth I'm pretty sure at least two outta five are significantly above average GMs.

Also, it's an online group that's grown and evolved over half a decade, so it might just be that the pool to choose from is bigger.

Or maybe your personal experience can't be universalized who knows

Ahhhh, I see. It is the second thing you posted, then. You have tailored your experience. My experience comes from both online and local groups, and I was speaking broadly. My current expereince as I explained earlier is not the same, but is closer to your first thing there, but the individuals are all local to me.

Maybe there are a few, but GMs are almost always without questions GMs because either nobody else can or will do it, or all the people that around that will are idiots that would run a game the ForeverGM couldn't bear to be a player of because it is so bad or mediocre.

i don't, it's just that good dm's are very rare and i have a lot of experience.

It's simultaneously a customized story and an adventure where I don't know what happens next. I get to have my cake and eat it too.

I don't necessarily enjoy GMing more than I enjoy playing a single character while someone else GMs - I enjoy both a fuckton, assuming the other GM isn't one of those "I have to beat my players' characters to have any fun" wastes of space.

What I enjoy about GMing is that all my buddies gather around the table for a few hours, and everybody has a good time, and I know that because I've been at the GMing things so long already that it is second nature for me, I will pretty much always be able to facilitate my friends and myself having a good time - even when life is hitting us pretty hard.

And at the end of the night, I thank the players for playing, and they thank me for running and hosting, and it's all just a really feel-good experience every week.

I like making stories and have a fast/creative mind. The players are kind of crazy and do unexpected shit, so with me DMing the situations always go nuts and are way more fun than if anyone else in my party dm'd, probably because I prioritize freedom for the PCs than anything else and yet still manage to make them involved with some kind of storyline without forcing them into it.

Mainly because most DM's we have are those guys that want to tell their story and don't let you stray away no matter what.

>Why do you enjoy GMing over playing?

I don't. It's just that if I didn't GM, we'd play far less often. I'd rather play as a GM than not play at all.

I don't consider myself a good GM either, serviceable maybe but not good. I'm good with prep and descriptions, but I don't have the rules memorized and often fall back on using tables rather than making stuff up on the fly. I also don't "act" well. That is, I 'll tell you what a NPC is doing and saying rather than talk and act like that NPC.

Despite my weaknesses as a GM, we'd play far less often if I didn't offer to GM. And, yes, I'm aware that my groups are being passive-aggressive in this.

Don't reply to trolls, dummy.

I just randomly come up with various situations, characters and concepts and it feels good to gm it out and see the players invested and interested in it. Also I am a fucking shit edgy, murderhoboing, partysplitting, backstabbing, PCkilling player, don't know why, somehow it always ends up that way

I'm a control freak with a lot of money and time.

>that
>a troll

user are you blind

I wanted to have an entertaining adventure. It's really been a learning experience.

For example, I have a guy playing a crazy wizard who uses only ailment and area of effect non-damage spells. Instead of blowing everything up, he lays Grease and Web, Earthbind, Minor Illusion, etc. It can really throw a wrench into things, so I had more important key foes have some immunities, just because.

Well, that kind of ticked him off. He said it was like he was being singled out specifically. And really, he was. So instead now I make my tougher enemies have higher saving throws, some legendary resistance, and one immunity, two at most, that make sense.

Also, no tough riddles allowed. My group isn't good at that.

I like world building a lot.

Source?

You sound like a perpetual victim.

Please come back, I have questions for you

I have no background in cinema, and I have been trying to think of ways to make my games feel interactive, immersive, and cinematic (in that order). I know from having played a handful of excellently run games that it is possible.

How do you do it? I want to know your method or what you think about when you are crafting games because I constantly feel like I'm lost.

god complex

thankfully I'm okay at it, no powertrips
a benevolent loving god

also most other people are shit GMs (or I really dislike but respect and understand their style of play), I can't suffer someone else's game, i either GM or don't play at all

It lets me autistically shove my settings down the player's throat.

I have a short attention span and prefer having the spotlight on me, otherwise I get bored easily and start doing other shit

When I GM I'm basically always in control and that keeps my interest up

My playgroup:

Me: Comptetent in D&D in all forms, Shadowrun, BESM, Paranoia, L5R, and FFG 40k

J: Can run Star Wars: Saga, and Pathfinder. Needs pre-written material

C: Only WoD, only really ever want to do V:tM. Once did a BESM thing for RWBY, medium-high fun but ran out of steam fast

M: Has taste similar to mine, but enjoys railroading and punishing games.

Ja: My wife, new to hobby. not ready to run

B: dosn't run, only likes to play characters who are bubbly and/or good at hitting

Br: brother of B. Has done the most growing in the years I've known him. Is still sperg as fuck, but I think he's been taking a lot of cues from me. He stays to where he knows best; Pathfinder

So I run as often as I am able so the group can experience more styles of story than they would otherwise. I'm working on subtly getting them all interested in MAID

Why compromise? Play a troupe system.

I'm either a ForeverGM or a delusional PlayerGM (despite never getting to play) that hates having PLAYERONLYs

On a side note; how do I find players who aren't horrible? I would look online, but it seems like roll20 or Game Finder on Veeky Forums players just want a DM to allow them to play a character; trying to be an island.

I don't.
At all.
Much like many others here I just do it because nobody else will.
Everybody thinks I am this great GM but I am just the only one who bothered to read the whole book before starting a game.
I wish I could stop but my friends are invested and I have been doing it for too long to just stop without giving them closure.
The few times the others have tried the campaigns have been overly wacky DMPC adventures featuring the players that dissolved after three or four sessions.
It's not all bad since it occasionally feels nice to have an NPC or plot hook go over really well but most of the time I am just going through the motions.

I just find it enjoyable, plus I need some way to express all of the ideas I have.

>Former ForeverGM who has just given up his standards and plays in the most abysmally shitty games because he snapped and just wants to selfishly play an elf or something instead of having to make dungeons for petulant murder hobos to ignore every week.
Don't weep for me fellow GMs. I may have to sit next to a fursona, a self insert, and a lolsorandumb but last week I killed a big monster.

Because most DM's are terrible

Good players are like Bigfoot.
A lot of people say they exist but I have never seen one.

Short attention span. GM is always active, players take turns.
I also love bad guys. And playing multiple wacky characters is generally more fun for me too.

I go kinda nuts if I don't have a creative outlet.
I enjoy hanging out with my buds
Lets me get out all the loose ideas I have knocking around in my head.
I have ideas of stuff I want to play, see that nobody has made a game like that, so I decide to make a game like that.

I don't. I openly loathe it. But my friends think I'm good at it, and seeing them having a good time is nice.

Run a short game with your nerd friends. Figure out which ones are good players and which ones aren't. Start a new game, this time without the shitty players.
To fill in the gap, ask your normie friends if any of them are interested in trying out RPGs. Chances are, at least a couple of them have always wanted to try but never have been able to. They might be shitty players, but since they actually have social skills, you can talk out things with them and mold them into good players.
Shitty normie players you can train to be good. Shitty autist players you can't.

>about to become forever DM
>group is only 5 players, myself included
>1 of which barely shows up to sessions anymore, and if he does, he's drunk to the point where we have to babysit his character so he doesn't derail the game
>group is mostly WACKY HAHA LOOK AT THIS MEE-MAY HAHAHA
>if I make the game more serious, we'll lose players
>if I keep the game silly I will probably snap

I love making NPCs. I love making random obstacles. I love town-building.

Most of all, I'm not very good at blocking meta-knowledge out of my head while playing. I can't fight an elemental without knowing in my head what languages it speaks, that kind of thing.

I'd say finding good players is even harder than finding a good GM.

And contrary to popular belief, players DO have just as much an impact on how fun a game as as the DM does. There is absolutely nothing I hate more in tabletops than passive players, and players who want nothing but a dungeon crawl, and to be level 20 and oneshot everything.

Like, there are better hobbies and games out there if you want that.

Drop it. No D&D is better than bad D&D.

If I'm honest I vacillate between Delusianal PlayerGM and PLAYERONLY. None of the characters I play are exceptionally unique, or original, but I do enjoy playing them. I try and take the pressure off the regular DM because hey, everyone suffers from burnout every now and again.

I really enjoy telling stories. However, I'm pretty shit at normal methods of story telling. So running a game with the story that I want to tell is a good medium. I also love making other people have a good time, as it helps punch through the shell of ANGERY that surrounds my heart.

Maybe you can try to move it to a Lewis Carroll wonderland or something. It might bridge the gap if only for a little while.

dump pedoposter

Because if I don't then we won't play at all, although the fringe perks of GMing at my local game store almost make it worth putting up with some of them.

If I let anybody else do it there'll be a whole bunch of talking to NPCs and not very much dungeoneering (or appropriate equivalent). And I have no interest in NPCs.

I get the the games running the fastest. Pacing isn't terrible, but whenever my brothers in the group, he over analyzes everything and spends anywhere between 15-30 minutes on his turn alone. We're cutting back on that

Personally I like how excited everyone gets when I tell them the crazy shit they can end up getting away with with the right rolls.

I don't.

Creating games facilitates games. If I did not, there would be less gaming, as there is only so much forevergm the others can take.

Furthermore, I do not have many other social outlets. I'm tired of being alone.

Apparently was a one shot from some godzilla anthology
mega.nz/#!1UAHTCqK!pH4Hn5X8Q_HSNpD1cm-d2qJ_XnuBxEiTTlJrU8iGtW0

Because if I don't, our "lul, I'm r@nDOOOM"-edgelord does it and our group probably falls apart. This way I can keep him in check.

>al these soibois forced into GMing because nobody else will
LMAO

perish

>friend of mine tells me he wants to run a game on an island
>wants to make his own ruleset
>after doing 10 pages of rules gives up
>ask him how hes doing and why he wouldnt just do the thing with DnD or other fantasy rules
>he loses interest

It takes effort and tenacy to gm, people

Drop out man

I don't, but nobody will GM for me game I like exactly how I like it.

I feel like the social aspect of this hobby will instantly die as soon as we have sophisticated AI GMs

ForeverGM here

What bugs me the most is the fact that i'm a very supportive player: when i make a character i litteraly throw bones to the gm suggesting various way of fucking with my character (family, waknesses, etc..), or grasping the hints of railroading and follow the story anyway without mentioning in game, or making a character that is part of the world and not a cheap way to break it. I'm the perfect player!

But here i am, gming for a bunch of PLAYERs - PLAYERs, just for the sake of the few of them who are at least captivated by the roleplay game, just to see an attempt of good gaming at least from the outside.

I love worldbuilding and I also love having the players do things I didn't account for. To me it's a delight when people jump off the rails, even if it means more work for me.

I enjoy DM'ing because it lets me flaut my eloquence and creativity. It is fun for me to obsessively plan sessions, and I'm a quick thinker and therefore quickly able to adapt to what my players do and roll with it.

My regular group is a bunch of ungrateful non-nerds who have no idea what it takes to DM, and none of them would do a good job of it. None. I've done a bunch of one-shots, and been a player twice in one-shots under two different DM's. One of them did a fair job, but was way too kind (he is 100% inspired by Critical Role,where nothing bad ever happens). The other guy had a fun dungeon ready, but was a terrible speaker and narrator. He also punished me mechanically for what was supposed to be a creative RP solution to a problem, and that's I a big no-no for me when I DM.

I strongly agree that players who have tried DM'ing make better players. They have some perspective. Players never stop and think that they only have to worry about their sheet; the DM has to worry about every single fucking thing. DM'ing is fun, but generally players are ungrateful and that can be draining.

>likes GMing for settings and his group having fun

>>>>omg he said loli

Two kinds of posters

I'm a ForeverGM because I'm the instigator of the hobby with my friend group. Most of my friends are video gamers and quite partial to cRPGs so getting them to the table was never really an issue. Getting them to read and understand the rules and how game design will inform their game experience, however, is something none of them have any patience for. I've been such a foreverGM that I actually feel incredibly uncomfortable being a player in someone else's game; I want the power the shape other player's experiences and help them have the best time. When I'm a player, I don't actually feel like I have much direction, or at least, I've never been as interested in my character, as I have always been with the group dynamic as a whole. Running npcs somehow feels more natural to me since they're only means to an end to get my players to do interesting things.