Why don't you give XP for uneventful travel Veeky Forums?

>travel related DC checks
>expenditure of resources
>random encounter rolls that could have ended badly for the party
well? what's your excuse Veeky Forums?

Aha! But I do!

Because it's not appropriate to the theme, tone and genre of my game? What kind of point are you even trying to make?

That you got a small wiener

since I just do milestone xp, I'm lazy

>Oh Veeky Forums, you unified organism of blobs behind the screen, speak as one!

That aside, let me speak for myself.
I don't give exp for uneventful travel because I don't require DC checks unless the failure could be interesting or is uncertain.
Resources are expected to be used in most actions, I don't reward exp for using resources. After all, you use resources to wipe your butt (maybe), I'm not going to give exp for that.
Random encounters could also go very well and replenish used resources, provide materials for crafting, lead to new adventures, or establish lore that could be helpful to the PCs. Waking up can potentially end badly for the party, I don't reward exp for waking up.

>Not giving xp towards anal puckering
>Not giving xp towards wiping speed
>Not giving xp towards disease resistance (fesis)
>Not giving xp towards sphincter contraction

Casuals are ruing Veeky Forums normies goes back to Tumblr now

I don't spend play time on "uneventful travel" - that's why there is no XP for it; it effectively hasn't happened, just like I don't give XP for the player having their character go take a shit - we don't spend play time on that detail because it doesn't really matter.

Instead, I give out XP for the things that we do spend play time on - even if that means the party gets XP for sharing a road-side meal with other travelers or some other "wasn't what most DMs mean when they say 'random encounter' or 'event' during a traveling portion of the game" type of thing.

>Veeky Forums is not a hivemind
I think we can all agree.

>failure is uncertain or uninteresting
perhaps this is the misunderstanding, although you raise an interesting point.
is uneventful travel actually the result of, say, an easy encounter? isn't there always the risk of travel being eventful and possibly lethal?
aren't the PCs gaining experience by traversing foreign lands? or even familiar ones that change through time?

Hearty chuckling, sirs.

>the players have travelled
>but that hasn't happened

>the players have travelled
>the players
Now that's an idea, rpg journey.

In the same instance that living every day could be eventful and possibly lethal. Hell, not cooking pork all the way through could leave you with worms that burrow through your muscles.
I don't always equate exp and experience. One can be worldly and still be shit at most things players can dump exp into for most games. If my players traveled a foreign land or certain area enough I would give them experience in being able to traverse the area, but not exp that can be spent on things other than that what they're working on, which is recognizing the landscape. Certain tasks get so repetitive that performing them nets no new experiences.
For example I regularly going mountain camping. Not much changes on a trip-to-trip basis so it's more of an autonomous task. Last year though I went during winter and learned a lot.
Journeying through the woods that are native to the region you've walked for years before wont be new unless major terrain features change.

Are you deliberately obtuse, or just fucking illiterate?

>>uneventful
>>XPs

Do you see the problem?

>>random encounter rolls that could have ended badly for the party

A random encounter that can end badly for the party is not "uneventful".

You mean the dipshit forced meme pic didn't clue you in?

I don't play games where GM "gives" "XP"

Yeah, in my times we had to take it by ourselves!

kek

semantics aside, is there validity to rewarding xp during mundane travel? particularly in foreign terrain? the party doesn't know that the travel will be safe or "encounter"-less, why shouldn't they reap a conservative reward for their troubles?

>is there validity to rewarding xp during mundane travel?
Eh, I wouldn't say so. XP as a mechanic simulates the growth one gets from encounters that challenge their abilities and lead to permanent and meaningful self-improvement. Most I'd personally give would be one or two temporary CON points after a good, extended period of marching. Slack off on maintaining your health and they go away.

just give some shit at the end of the session, who cares.

So you play Vampire Masquerade

They didnt want to roleplay during said uneventful travel. Interludes like that are one of the few times i award extra XP for being quite in character.