Trudvang Chronicles

Riotminds finally started shipping the books around the world. They are sending the PDF files to all the backers and pre-orders will soon follow. That been said I still haven't received mine. It has been a long time since I felt like a child waiting for christmas gifts. SO TRUDVANG THREAD!

> What is Trudvang ?
"Trudvang Chronicles is an award-winning fantasy roleplaying game based on the mysterious and dark Nordic and Celtic sagas and myths. Enter a world of enchanted forests, trolls, dragons, spirits of nature, heroes and adventures. Trudvang is both grim and dark, epic and yet down to earth, with a melancholic tone of an ancient age when nature was a living creature and magic was wild and strong. Above all, Trudvang is a saga…"

You can find more about it on their website or Kickstarter
> riotminds.se/games/trudvang-chronicles/
> kickstarter.com/projects/1256540796/trudvang-chronicles

So, what do you think It's important to focus about celtic and norse mythology when playing this kind of fantasy setting ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YWE9LDIuA0M
youtu.be/EBAzlNJonO8
youtube.com/watch?v=VhkfnPVQyaY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, here are the covers!

That is some Goddamn fine artwork.

If you liked the covers, look for Paul Bonner. He has other pieces not related to the setting, including mtg cards if you are into that.

I refuse to give them more funding even since the release of Drakar oh Demoner retro because they can't make proper good gaming system.

How so ? Care to elaborate ? I've seen other people complaing about the company on the internet. But no one goes into details.

No one wants to talk about it ? ;_;

I've played some Trudvang with my friends (swedish), and it's pretty great at capturing that nordic mythical feel. All the artwork is absolutely excellent and really contributes to it.

>based on the mysterious and dark Nordic and Celtic sagas and myths.
>Enter a world of enchanted forests, trolls, dragons, spirits of nature, heroes and adventures.
>dragons

But dragons originated in Greek mythology.

The word? Sure. You ever heard of Fafnir or Nidhogg? Bigtime dragons/dragon-like creatures in norse mythology, and let's not forget Jormungandr who's more of a giant snake.

>The word? Sure.
No, the whole concept. Dragons come from Greek mythology, which is older than Norse mythology.

Congratulations user, you just figured out indo-european history.

Does this thing do anything interesting mechanically?

which is why dragons exist in like every single culture on the entire planet

I remember waiting for a pay check that arrived too late to jump on the art book kickstarter. Every time I see anything Trudvang related it's all I can think of.
Fuck.

I mean shit, big reptiles do, just because we translate all of them as dragons doesnt make em such

I'm pretty sure I got the pdf for supporting the kickstarter. I should check it out sometime.

Ok, how has Riotmind changed the system since Target Games evolved DochD from its BRP roots?

Tell me about the monster variety. From what I know it’s mostly different types of trolls, which I think is cool enough personally, but what else is there?

dragons are a thing in just about every indo-european myth. the indians, with their ancient myths, feature a god of thunder fighting a dragon/ serpent, just like in norse myths. it's safe to say that the concept of dragons didn't originate with the greeks

6th Edition (1st to have Trudvang) also had undead (skeletons and ghosts), giants, elves, and wolves. Skogstrolls are pretty much goblins.

Player race variety were men, elves, dwarves, halflings, half-elves and half-trolls.

I still have not read the rules. But I took a fast look, and I really like it so far. The lethallity is on point, armor has a kind of durability and gets worse on the long run. Also the creatures size really matter and their attacks and defenses scale with it. The magic system isn't cruel as warhammer Tzeench's curse or perils of the warp, but has it's fatal magic so spellusers don't abuse it.
The game is derivated from basic rp system, and I really like it. Some decisions are strange, they have a initiative system like AD&D where you have to roll every turn, but it also adds a lot more roleplaying options and thiking during combat. I would recommend taking a look.
I'm hopint they re-release the artbook. When I found out about this hidden jewel the kickstart was long over.
Share your toughts on it if you can.
I have really like it so far, it has some classic creatures such as Nymphs, Happias and Giant Spiders. But it has also new and unique ones. The Jotun (giants) chapter is really cool. Check this one out.

> A logrjotun can control the water it
moves through. It does not do this
through the use of vitner but rather by
movement. The giant can, for example,
create horrid waves that it can send
toward a threat. It can create huge
maelstroms that suck boats down into
the depths or water currents that make
boats stray along a different path no
matter how the wind blows.

All the creatures, even the familiar ones have this norse mythus feeling on than that is great.

The art itself looks very nice. It's like something out of Confrontation. I have been burned on some of these fantasy RPGs like Symbaroum and Fantasy Age, so hopefully the rules are as nice.

I's the same artists, Paul Bonner did other pieces from confrontation too.

Adventures straight out of a John Bauer painting. I love it!

Wildheart seems INTENSE. Need to up my RP game before I try to run it.

Combat looks kinda neat with the maneuvers. I'ma try to build some characters tonight.

Do you know where I can grab a cop of these children book with John Bauer art. I remember him being a source of inspiration for a lot of the visuals we have on these creatures.

You just made me realize a mistake I have been mading all these years as a GM. I should build characters to do demo runs...

> I should build characters to do demo runs...
People don't do this?

It's how I have to learn systems because I am not an intelligent man.

I usually do one-shots with close friends. But one-shots never show long term problems in the system, and simple as that you have showed me something I had never realized.

Bump

About to get into it with some friends. I really like the world and aesthetic of it all.
How is the combat compared to DnD? Is a single monster better to fight than multiple?

>pdf when?

How about now ?

> snip li /Trudvang

Of what I have seen so far, combat require the GM to keep a lot of tracking, so I'ts probably better with lesse enemies. But the game is way different from D&D, Trudvang came from Drakar och Demoner wich has it's rules origin at basic roleplaying system. There are no classes or level, It's a skill based point buy system. And It's really crunch, It has more similarities with Advanced Dugeons & Dragons. Even tough It is a Epic Saga, It's way more lethal and down to earth than D&D. I would say this game is closer to Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay but been a step higher in the fantasy dosage. At the same time It's not High Fantasy as D&D but ain't Grimdark either.

Da real MVP
>sem... hjörtr hábeinn of hvössum dýrum
eða gull glóðrautt af gráu silfri.

I remember stumbling upon artworks from TRUDVANG, I really liked it. I would be grateful if someone posted some new artworks from this game. I'll post the ones I have if someone is interested.

Please do share. If you want more art, you should grab the books @

I really like the atmosphere.

You can really feel the ambiance.

I don't know how to say it, it looks classic and original at the same time.

Yeah, I feel you. I tought I had my share of fantasy tropes until I saw this setting. Not only the art convey this feeling of something classic and yet new, but also the game. It's like we have all those old ideas, but with a new breath of life on them. It is it's own thing.

Here is some music I think it will greatly help with mood and ambiance.
youtu.be/YWE9LDIuA0M

Thank you for the music, here is some more art.

There seems to ve stupid amounts of combat rules. Tho it all seems very thematic and cool.

and some cool elves.

I would recommend looking for Wadruna playlist FUTHARK on spotify. I think you will like it.

There are. It doesn't help that you have to roll initiative every turn. The book even recommends that the player's make notes on their actions combinations so they don't waste time thinking too much on combats. I think that in the beginning it will take a while, but once the player's get used to it the game should flow smoothly.
I also believe that having all these options will enrich the roleplay, but that remains to be seen.

Remember the first time I played Trudvang a few years ago
>roll up a thronelander priest guy
>roll max strength
>roll garbage charisma and intelligence
>proceed to play Conan the Cleric
It was a good time.

Worst part as a backer was finding out that the fucking spell lists are i seperate books while the players guide refers to a non existent chapter in the players guide.

>conan
>low cha & int
I think you're confused user

I'm thinking of Arnold's performance, user. He only really convinced me in the strength department.

I haven't gotten around to actually reading the books, sorry.

The Kickstarter version was just separated books so that the player's could use it better on the table. But in the end I think that the pre-order version that will be just one book will be better. What are your thought on the phycal books ?

Very gold quality imo. The books are a bit thin since they are split from 3 into 5 books. But it works.
My only gripe is that the rules in neither DM guide or Player guide go through the Intro>Advanced>In depth route. Instead its a hodge podge. Dont kbow how the non backer books are laid out but I find this aspect to be so so.

I see. Looking at the PDF's what has bothered me was the lack of a proper introduction on the Player's Guide. I understand that most of the time It's the Game Master who explain a lot of the concepts but I aways believed that the player`s book should have the basic concepts.

under the horse in the op pic is a clusterfuck. my eyes just fail to register anything in that part of the painting

I agree. It seems all the rules are in the GM guide which is bizarre since the players need to know how the rules work aswell.
Overall I'm overly critical towards this design since I'm coming from DnD which had a very good intro inte the system for new players.

i find it weird that there is no Roll20 sheet, i always wanted to give this system a try

Samefagging here but the lack of an intro scenario/campaign is something I feel is really missing.
Anyone who's got any ideas for a starting session to make the GM and the players find the mood and atmosphere and learn the ruleset?

Ikr? It's... almost as if... people were trying to figure out why there were so many skeletons of giant lizards in the ground all over the planet.

Also post more Trudvang art. Is this Adrian Smith's work?

Paul Bonner's the artist, user. He seems to have been very much inspired by John Bauer, an early 20th century swedish artist who essentially defined several generations' image of old folklore.

Damn, I love the art so much. It reminds me of all the classic Nordic troll and dwarf art. ESPECIALLY the trolls.

The Elven Horn adventure is the intro pack. In their online system they sold it together with the rule books. Check the pdf.

The Jotun chapter in the bestiary has some really good art.

Okay. Just found it weird that it says that it's for experienced characters and a somewhat experienced GM. Well guess I'll have to try to make it work.

Is there an online combat tracker or something? The combat rules run a little long.

Maybe I misunderstood it. What about Wildheart ?

I think that the riot online might have a online tracker, but It will be probably paid, maybe use some gm add or roll 20...

Greek vikings?

Can't say for sure. There are three main regions in the world. Westmark, Mittenland and Stormland, Stormland is where you get your classic norseman feeling. The other regions are different, they are based on norse and celtic mythos but with their own twist, one of them for example has a very religious culture with just one God.

>culture with just one God
The Saxons and Mercians were basically Christian Vikings. Their version of the Bible is really odd and interesting, they imagined Moses and the Jews fleeing Egypt as though they were a team of shieldbearers, and The Cross that Jesus was crucified on as a Jarl's Retainer

This art is amazing. GW should take note.

From what I remember from 6th there were a few different types of monsters, but the trolls were definitely the forerunners. You had something like five or six different types of trolls in the book and it also outright advises you to mix and match and make up your own trolls, partly because this isn't the type of game that's about metagaming and strategizing, and partly because the classifications found in the book are just that and trolls don't care about them and will often breed with different types of trolls.

It's the same but scaling down for less players and difficulty should be fine for both the adventures.

And one might just start with more experieced chaeacters and tune dowm the amount of monsters and hp on the big guys and it should be fine.

Is this real ? This is so crazy that I can't say for sure if you are trolling,

Musical bump youtu.be/EBAzlNJonO8

I fucking love that song. It's a shame that so many people hate that show for being historically inaccurate. I mean, I wish it could be more accurate, but I enjoy it as entertainment.

Here's some more youtube.com/watch?v=VhkfnPVQyaY

wwwwwat

btw, does anyone have a MEGA of the core rules? old or new, and maybe some fluff bc I wanna read up on this place lol.

I've been hunting for a viking RPG and haven't found anything outside of the Beowulf expansion for Pandragon.

>does anyone have a MEGA of the core rules?
See Based user got all the PDFs there. It's just "snip dot li/trudvang". Alternatively mega dot nz slash #F!svpjFLaZ!LGKT6i09cFS4bnavRhGyNg