Character ideas thread

Lets have a character ideas thread

Post characters that you would want to play and give praise/criticism to help others improve as roleplayers
DMs can post characters they always wanted to play or NPCs

Post character art too if you want.

Goal is to make up interesting characters who arent self inserts, grossly edgy, or flawless chosen one’s
Try to make someone that has flaws, room for character development, isnt just their stat line, and Their backstory is the most interesting thing about who they are

Other urls found in this thread:

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=233042
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So I've been waiting for the GM of the game I'm in to actually start the first session. The guy hasn't even gotten to telling us when the first session begins. so sure, it's a character I'm going to play, but haven't been able until the guy starts.
As for the character, it's your classic "robot that wants to be treated as human, but still kinda acts like a robot".

A dwarven veterinarian. His family wanted him to become a butcher and join family business but he decided he liked helping animals better than butchering them, and they disowned him. Makes money travelling and helping remote villages. Not a vegetarian, just a vet.

This is the basic form I use to make my characters before tackling the character sheet proper.

>Name and age
They're more important than you might expect
>Profession
What your character does for a living. Stuff like teacher, soldier, clerk, etc. goes here.
>Class
How your character handles combat and etc. Classes from whatever system you're running go here.
>Personality
Temperament, flaws, strengths, and etc. go here
>Backstory
Keep it simple, baka.

Two ideas:

One is basically a time cop hunting down magic users who abuse time and time related magic. Believes that all things are pre ordained and repeat over and over again for eternity. That everyone is designed to relive their lives exactly as before.

Second is a medium who has no memory and can only access them through an evil spirit she must conjure periodically in order to bind it and milk it's secrets. However she risks possession sometimes when she does this.

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=233042

1st-20th
I would only trust it to the best of DMs

I'm planning on having my character regularly write home to his family, to tell them about the neat adventures they've been on, and how he's ok. I obviously don't want to hog any sort of spotlight during playtime when I do this, but I feel like it will help ground my character in the world, and keep him going.

Not planning to do this myself, but on a darker note: a character could do this to cope with the fact their family is *already* dead. That'd be interesting.

What do you think, tg?

I've got an idea for a traveling Victorian boxer half-orc that left his boxing circuit to challenge others to boxing matches and to find a girl he saw at one of his fights with nothing to go off of but her face

Sounds pretty cool.
A few food-for-thought questions:

Why does he leave his current circuit, what makes him go out into the world? Is it just for the sake of challenging others and finding the girl? Perhaps he started under performing after encountering said girl, and people begun to think he was washed up?

What is important about the girl? Does it remind him of someone he used to know? Do they have any prior significance to him? Is it love at first sight, or does it perhaps remind him of someone he loved who died?

Was originally gonna have it with him leaving the circuit after a particularly bad contract with his manager and a falling out with him because, but I do like the washed up idea.

Regarding the girl it's just love at first sight.

Get out of here with that weak shit. Vaalbara Is best continent

You could do a combination of both!

Getting washed up then leads to -> a bad contract and a falling out

At that point he realizes: "Fuck this. I want to be more than this."

That could work, have him start off telling the party solely about the bad contract and being washed up as a sort of "Maybe this old dog can learn a few new tricks" then as he comes to trust the party have him open up and ask them for help finding her.

Make sure to talk to your DM about the girl, so he can think of how to incorporate it down the road, the same way you'll open up down the road. Though, that might seem like a given.

Cheers, user.

>Backstory
>Simple
sorry, but if my character is 43 years old, they have 43 pages of backstory.

A Mul chef. Former sailor and militia member whose seen the world, just wants to settle down and run a tavern in a waystation town, but needs money and contacts to keep supplies coming in.

a horrible flirt and even worse drinker, always takes notes on local food and ingredients. has extensive knowledge of orc and hobgoblin foods from time in the militia. didn't see much combat, but learned enough.

has a weakness for tall redheads, gets them into trouble more often than not. never wants to talk about it.

Yeah, I do something similar. Not exactly the same, but a basic, watered down character sheet to get a feel for who they'll be before I stat them.

As for my character, I've had a couple Shadowrunners in mind for a while that I’ve never gotten to use. They'd be a twin Oni brother and sister running with the Yakuza, and it'd go off the Red Oni/Blue Oni cliche. The dude would have blue skin and be a face/mage; smart, quiet, charming, a bit of a fop, and a probable sociopath. His red-skinned street sammy sister would be aggressive and brash; not too charismatic, and a little too keen on solving problems with a spiked bat.

I've a couple characters I've wanted to play, but it seems I'm stuck as a forever-DM.

A Dirty Harry-esque wizard-detective that specializes in utility magic, and a monk that has taken a personal vow against using magic - not because something tragic happened to him or that it was a tenant of where he trained, but because he finds it unfair.

Haven't put much thought into them past that. For now, they are ideas and nothing more.

I'd like to play a character who impersonated a local folk hero, then slowly wound up living up to the legacy. Someone who was in it for the money and for the fine treatment at first, then wound up doing it for the people.

we were only gonna have 4 people total, so 3 players, and everyone agreed that would be retarded so me and another guy decided to play two characters to round stuff out since I had experience at DnD and could keep track of my numbers better, and he was smart so I hoped he'd catch on.
We'll never know, because it fell apart, but my concepts were

>Laurent (on the left)
>Only cares about smiting evil and drinking wine
>mostly paid in room and board, with a couple weeks of supplies whenever he finishes clearing out whatever shit the villagers were complaining about
>does this because he cant really integrate into society, so he mixes a couple of weeks of living in little towns with months of camping and shit
>probably was going to incorporate some kind of fear of crowds into him (unless he's had a few goblets if you know what I am saying)
>in combat, absolute fucking mayhem with that big ass sword, has somewhat respectable ability to sneak and disable traps because I managed a +5 to sneak, and convinced DM that since he spends so much time in his armor (most of his traveling is done in full armor maybe sans helmet, when he sets up camp near a town to see if there is any work he'll don some regular clothes after checking around his campsite or whatever)
>anyway, when I roll with disad. I get to pick the average of the two numbers, rounded down, instead of full disad.
>pretty neat, helps me keep up with the short girl I'm about to talk about

>Beatrice Lachapelle (it sounds like a whore name because it is)
>actually a thief, much better at sneaking and mostly terrible at straight combat
>met up with laurent whenever, they were both at least a little buzzed and they only kept drinking
>ended up spending the night together, and when L left for 'work' B tailed him and decided she wanted in on what he was doing
>they started going after larger targets in more remote areas of the world, for better pay
>eventually rambled into where the campaign was starting looking for vampires to kill
>B is trying to teach L how to be more sneaky, getting him to play along in distractions and stuff, be a more convincing liar, that kind of think
>L is teaching B how to use bigger weapons and what she should do if she's ever caught outside the shadows
>both of them have a lot of unchecked personality disorders and chemical imbalances that are thousands of years from being able to be medicated by anything other than substance abuse, so they end every night they can blackout drunk
>maybe sometimes they bang, but its not a big part of their lives, they mostly just use each other as masturbatory aids when they're both too far from a town to get some strange there

Would have been neat maybe, probably would have fucked up roleplaying the two of them interacting but it would have been a fun challenge at least

>who arent self inserts
I don't really wanna be someone else. I just want to be myself in more interesting situations. Is it that bad?

A tough silent guy with a big weapon.

How did he become tough?

Play the way you want, user. I'm running a game where all of my friends have to play as themselves. Some of them tell me it's actually a bit challenging to roleplay, because they have to take into account how they would act to the situation in real life. I made the session in the first place, because I wanted them to have a better idea of what roleplaying actually meant.