/btg/ BattleTech General

---------------------------------
'Cause in a way, this is true, edition

The /btg/ is dead - long live the /btg/!

Old thread: ==================================

BattleTech video-game Beta gameplay
youtube.com/watch?v=rt6FatHHnzI

==================================

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out which BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megamek.info/
github.com/MegaMek

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing? (old)
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

2017-03-03 – (Against the Bot)
mediafire.com/file/kffatbm11ffus7l/Against_the_Bot_Instructions_v2-5.pdf

bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56065.0
Current 3.21 rule set is included in the mekhq package

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/cj0tjpn9b3n1i/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/tw2m414o1j9uj/Battletech_Archives

/btg/'s own image board: - (2017-11-26 - Still getting worked on & now has 20738 pics! Any help with tagging appreciated!)
bgb.booru.org/index.php

More goodies! (Rare manuals, hex packs, TROs, discord servers, etc.) Last updated 2017-11-30!
pastebin.com/uFwvhVhE

Other urls found in this thread:

mwomercs.com/news/2017/12/1970-sun-spider-lore
youtube.com/watch?v=s5gxt8zVcEE
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/CAV: Strike Operations/sku-down/72203
heavymetalpro.com/ironcheetah.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone has done the Xabungle mechs for BT? Because it has sucessions wars flavour all over the place.

There is a Gamers Workshop horror stories in another thread. Does anybody have any stories of spergs or Fasa / WK / CGL employees that would be fun to talk about?

I don't, but I know that some people do. My interactions with the Demo Team have all been fairly positive.

So, that DI stuff from last thread. I know there was a little bit about it in the Tech Manual but a lot of it sounded more like the Learning Neural Nets from Heavy Gear. Are there any sources for it?

The worst game of Battletech I ever had was just against a cheater who claimed not to know BV2 was a thing and brought a force twice the size of mine. In 2011.

Yes. The original DI descriptions and the novels. There was also a breakdown of it in one of the Battletechnology issues I think, though that's apocryphal.

>Electronics
At the heart of the Battledroid lies the Diagnostic Interpretation (DI)
Computer. The DI computer is a resilient self-healing network of
distributed processors and internal and external sensors that are
connected to every component in the Droid. It serves as the
-Unseeninterface
between the DroidWarrior and their machine, translating
the pilot's commands into physical actions. It also has a limited
artificial intelligence that assists the pilot with movement, obstacle
avoidance and other tasks. The DI provides the pilot with real-time
data regarding the Droid's operational status and can even bypass
damaged segments in order to keep the machine operational. The
ability to build such sophisticated control systems is among the
many lost technologies of the Inner Sphere. While skilled
technicians can repair a damage DI computer, provided the
necessary parts are available, they can no longer build entirely new
units.
A DroidWarrior pilot also controls their machine via a neuralimpulse
helmet. This advanced instrument provides posture,
movement and balance information from the Battledroid directly to
the pilot. At the same time, the helmet translates the pilot's neural
impulses back to the Battledroid to direct movement and
positioning. In sense, the DroidWarrior controls the Battledroid as if
it were their own body. However, like fusion engines and drivecontrol
systems, neural-impulse helmets can no longer be
manufactured by the Inner Sphere making them as rare and
valuable as the Battledroids themselves.

1/2

In addition, the advanced targeting and tracking systems of the Star
League are largely absent from the modern battlefields of the Inner
Sphere. The intelligent battle computers, holographic displays,
powerful electronic warfare suites, actives probes and other
advanced systems found on many Star League Droids can no
longer be manufactured. In their place, comparatively simple lineof-
sight systems serve, severely impacting the range of the weapon
systems and making combat a much more close and personal affair
than in the past.
The same is true, to a lesser degree, of the communications
system. The ability to uplink/downlink from satellites, orbiting
DropShips or even distant JumpShips has largely disappeared.
Even encryption has fallen to the level of the 21st century making it
difficult to securely coordinate large scale operations.
-Unseen-
Sensor arrays, including infrared, electromagnetic and seismic, are
found on almost all Battledroids. Laser range-finders remain
common but even these systems are considerably bulkier and less
effective than their Star League counterparts. This lack of
miniaturization has led to the disappearance of almost all "smart"
ordinance. Where once missiles were routinely equipped with
sophisticated guidance systems and even fire-and-forget
technology, the current generation of ordinance is relatively
primitive, relying on the pilot for target acquisition and guidance
information.

2/2

Tbh if that part about DI Computers being impossible to build, it would mean that Hesperus II and any other mech building facility would have been pointless as their mechs wouldn't have neural controls at all and if built they would be rather shitty to control in the levels in Industrialmechs.

Welcome to BattleDroids, where nothing really makes sense because it's so damn old and predates sense making.

That's OG Battledroids, user. As in nobody was building new mechs and Hesperus was an old parts depot.

I wish

Doubt you guys really care, but Catalyst 'should' be doing a presentation of some kind on Battletech in 2 ½ hours on the NGNG (also known as NigGerNutGarglers) twitch stream.

also, you guys able to determine if this thing is an existing robot, or yet another "original robutt donut steel" from pgi?

That's the first full pic popping up in here.

My money is still on a PGI original Falconer variant.

PGi don't do art of variants though, that's the thing. They always have Alex draw the "prime" or first official variant of a chassis.

Best bet is a redesign of the Arctic Wolf 2 (the model 1-2, not the II)

Legs look right at least.

MWO already has the Arctic Wolf ingame, though.

The new mystery 'mech looks much more... Marauder-y.

They already released the Arctic Wolf.

so for making my OC periphery state/empire in 3150, i should expect to at least have access to or had access to: general periphery stuff, and also anything from 2766 or before thanks to the hegemony memory core.

That mech is a piggy original, apparently called the "Sun Spider."

Source?

The MechCon stream.
A prototype Omni form the 2800s.

mwomercs.com/news/2017/12/1970-sun-spider-lore

It looks like it's lower body is on backwards

I think the Supernova has a similar build to its legs and feet. So yeah, it looks funny, but it's nothing new.

>mwomercs.com/news/2017/12/1970-sun-spider-lore

>Prototype omni

BUT THAT IS WHAT THE CROSSBOW YOU FUCKING PORK RINDS

Reminds me of this.
Some of you people make my day with stuff like this.

The legs are on backwards and the torso is hideous. This isn't MWO's finest work.

>It looks like it's lower body is on backwards

Can look cool if done correctly.

>BUT THAT IS WHAT THE CROSSBOW YOU FUCKING PORK RINDS

Their explanation is okay. I don't know why they would call it up in the 50s, but weirder things have happened.

What I don't understand is why they bother following the fluff at all if they're so dead-set on making MWO feel like anything but Battletech.

Holy fuck that looks bad.

>Sun Spider
>Messed up legs
Well it looks like a creature from someone's daydreams.

No actual employee would be caught dead admitting that. And they might not know BV/2 is a thing if they're new to the game or only played Alpha Strike/Battleforce.

Alex kinda dropped the ball on this one, but I feel like he didn't even really want to draw the mech since it seemed to be the brain spawn of the resident yellow menace diversity hire that fucked up MWO to begin with, Paul "i know u know i rike to eat da rice from da bunghoreru" Inoyue.

Looking like one of the fat fucks, think Randall, is about to show people the boxes for the battletech starter set.

2 kits.

Beginner box is 20-25 dollaroos and 2 models.

Starter box is 60 dollaroos and 8 models.

Good confirmation but it’s not relevant news, we’ve heard this since at least . Any other info?

Erection, but also despair, because as we all know, we're never going to get those fucking large scale models. So thanks CGL.

*at least gencon

Crap phone.

Why would you want shodilly prepainted rough 3d printed models?

They want to sell separate map packs, possibly mech booster packs.

They're now focusing on a campaign book that is set in the early succession war era.

Starter boxes come with story booklets about Gray Death Legions leaders dad or some shit.

Then they literally spent a minute asking people to come by their merchandise store and buy their shit.

Not the shoddy or prepainted part, but the gunpla scale part. All we had was Armorcast for years, and now we don't have even that.

>can look cool if done correctly
Your picture looks worse than the sun spider

please tell me they didn't use miniatures paint on those model-kit-scale ones.

I know that they have th DI computers but you were talking about it "learning" that weapons have different calibration and making them act or move in certain ways. I've never come across that before outside of Heavy Gear and it seems beyond what I'm familiar with from BT.

>expecting logical, consistent lore from Randall
user, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

What the fuck is this shit? Why are we not just wholesale taking BT away from CGL? This makes even less sense than Randall's shitty industrialmech. Why would any Clanner not immediately scream at his scientists for hiding a mech? Why not just make the fucking thing a regular mech design, rather than sitting on it for TWO HUNDRED YEARS? Is there anyone left working for this company that reads the fluff beyond Xotl?

Same reason that the Lupus was randomly retconned from a standard battlemech to an Omni.

Few of the authors give a shit about the fluff outside their own specialty areas, none of them think things through, and the fact-checking team does not give a fuck.

And that's for actual BT. You can imagine how much worse it is for MWO, where lore seems to be handled by Randall alone.

Battletech retcons itself and shits in its own mouth with every single released product, be it book, a miniature, a spreadsheet, or a game.
What exactly are you seeing as weird here, again?

>Why are we not just wholesale taking BT away from CGL?

Is it a price or quality issue?
If it's the latter, honestly, I don't think it matters. For that scale they did a shit job for display pieces, and they could have used dollar-store tolepaints to similar effect.

>Why are we not just wholesale taking BT away from CGL?

but we are. People are looking to fan-produced "unofficial" solutions for material these days.

C'mon, ladz... it's a product of the 80's.

youtube.com/watch?v=s5gxt8zVcEE

80s has plenty of hot anime women.
Mechs, not so much.

A lot of weird shit happened in the 80s. Some of it was great, most of it was stupid and terrible.

>Sun Spider
>Spider
>Bipedal Mech

Shit taste.

Well, the original SPIDER mech is also a biped.

And the much superior Stalking Spider is a quad, like God intended.

Maybe they included this Mech because they couldn't do quads?
>mfw Scorpion never

Also, what's taking Piggy so long to give the IS Omnis? They could do sets with them!
>Wave 1:
>Owens
>Strider
>Avatar
>Sunder

>Wave 2:
>Raptor
>Firestarter
>Perseus
>Haputmann

>Wave 3:
>Arctic Fox
>Blackjack
>Perseus
>Templar

Next project is going to be an armoured VF-1J; I'm planning a special Crusader...

>inb4 "Special how? By not being all explodey all over the place?"

Whats taking them so long is the fact that they're a bunch of incompetent fuckwits, and even THEY know that shit chassis with locked IS XL engines will be doomed to failure.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Crud. I love the original art. It's one of my favs. But beside the explodey situation, I have never been able to use it well. The original is so poorly optimized I leave it to others or AIs in Megamek.

Aside from that, damn nice work, user. Is this you, Pencil Bro?

I never got why the SRM ammo is in the CT when the launchers are in the legs. I get that the majority of mechs are designed deliberately bad, but double CT ammo is meme-ably terrible. I love the Crud’s look and concept, but more than half the time I am driving rebuilt, re-engineered Crusaders for painfully obvious reasons.

The Mega Centurion of the future, TODAY!

How would one even stat that thing? There seems to be no visible ranged weapons on it.

>I have a love/hate relationship with the Crud.
Me too. I love to hate it.

Sword, large shield, all components armored and with heavy-duty as possible, all armor hardened.

yeah XL is kinda... not good in the LFE enviro. The exception being lights and mediums, so stuff like an Omni Firestarter is still good.

>I have a love/hate relationship with the Crud. I love the original art. It's one of my favs. But beside the explodey situation, I have never been able to use it well. The original is so poorly optimized I leave it to others or AIs in Megamek.

It looks cool - I'm terribly fond of all the Unseen if for no better reason than their aesthetics - but the best thing I can think of to do with the Crusader is threatening the enemy by brandishing a tree (the 3025 version has two hands, while the 3050 one inexplicably removes one!) while flinging LRM's at them. If I had my preference, I'd take the Thunderbolt at 65 tons, or maybe the Catapult instead.

>Aside from that, damn nice work, user. Is this you, Pencil Bro?

Thanks! Yes, it's me.

>I never got why the SRM ammo is in the CT when the launchers are in the legs.

This probably goes all the way back to its original incarnation in Battledroids, where the ten heat sinks occupy the first half of the left and right torsos (five on each side - pic related) along with the LRM ammo. I think it's supposed to represent that the ammo bin is in the CT, and the ammo feeds travel into both legs to supply each launcher equally with a steady stream of missiles. So, mechanically, you can see the reason for it, but game-play wise, it's really asking for trouble - especially with all those MG rounds in there, too!

Only problem then is you know they'll make it as big as a fucking grasshopper or some shit, with negative structure quirks.

I'm a little late to the party, but thats clearly a Reapermini CAV Razor.
reapermini.com/OnlineStore/CAV: Strike Operations/sku-down/72203

I miss the old Talon Games line.

For me it's odd. The Crusader is like the 8, 8.5 out of 10 high school girl that was pretty cute, but dumb and pretty useless back in the day. The Catapult was always the 6/10 in looks but more useful, with the Thunderbolt being the more sought after 7/10 in looks high school sweetheart that could fit in everywhere. The Jageermech was the nerdy 4/10 chick in the astronomy activity that only occasionally managed to be useful every once in a while shooting an aerospace fighter out of the air.

>reapermini.com/OnlineStore/CAV: Strike Operations/sku-down/72203
It's a damn shame the CAV minis are a bit too big to use as Battletech minis; the Tiamat and a few others are pretty awesome, and Reaper bits are dirt cheap. So are IWM bits, but their shipping is way worse.

>Aside from that, damn nice work, user. Is this you, Pencil Bro?

>Thanks! Yes, it's me.

Fantastic to know. Adding to everything else good that happened today, my birthday rocked. Great job!

>It looks cool - I'm terribly fond of all the Unseen if for no better reason than their aesthetics
Same here. I have tried for years to make a Crud I like, and it all boils down to using clan tech I guess.

straight out, the trick to actually liking the crud and using it well is to use literally any of the 3025 variants other than the -R in Introtech, and to use that one wonderful periphery RL-10 drunken death blossom and/or them -L project pixie variants in everything not introtech

Random 'mech challenge: design how the Dire Wolf/Daishi might have been like if Clan Wolf were able to "complete" the design (with XL400 engine and endo steel) before Smoke Jaguar could steal it in a trial. Bonus points for including the jumping or S config (even though high-end assault JJs are hefty AF) in addition to the Prime and A-D configs.

>Bonus points
What can I redeem the points for? What's the prize to work towards?

Isn't that just the Iron Cheetah?
heavymetalpro.com/ironcheetah.html

This.

Doesn't jump, but otherwise yeah, basically.

You can easily make a Daishi with three CERPPCs, the heat sinks to use them and a pair of flamers, with regular JJs based on a 400XL engine. I'm not creative enough to know what else to do from there.

In all honesty I'd rather use a 95-ton platform due to the weight savings, but the Iron Cheetah has been around for at least 15 years that I'm aware of so I didn't really feel the need to re-tread that ground.

Massed ER MLs.

>In all honesty I'd rather use a 95-ton platform due to the weight savings, but the Iron Cheetah has been around for at least 15 years that I'm aware of so I didn't really feel the need to re-tread that ground.

You're not wrong, but there's also the issue of available miniatures. I know of at least two major miniatures iterations of the Iron Cheetah, which simplifies use. Also, it combines a Dire Wolf and a Timberwolf - that sort of impacted coolness is pretty much the only way to make the Clans neat.

Man, you lose so much goddamn space going 400XL on a 100 tonner, but I'll be damned if they aren't kinda fun to design.

I had never actually seen or heard of the Iron Cheetah until now. Interesting.

Can any of those make me feel the circus?

yo atms good?

that's essentially the point of th RL-crud, yeah

The point of RL-anything, basically. Except maybe the Stinger.

Not particularly. If you're planning on running in close with H-E ammo there are some plus points but most of the time you're better off with LRMs.

rip they seem cool

iATMs are good though.

should i do it

You can't do the Itano in Battletech.
Not if the only thing available to you is jump-jets.

They did it to themselves already.

What are some of the more common aerospace options available to mercenary units? Are any of them worth taking in the rpg?

It's been a long while, but I thought buildings were hard coded to be indestructible in MW4.

That's Mechwarrior 3, i.e. the second best Mechwarrior game ever made right behind MW2:Mercs

I know MW3. I play MW3 every once in a while to remind me what a real fun mech sim can be. I did all sorts of unpleasant things to buildings in MW3. The screen cap is from MW4.