Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Tell me your favorite fish out of water stories.

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/YLikTing

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ynX2DZXdcMI
d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement/#Base_Classes
d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/n/nightmare
d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes-paizo-inc/serial-killer-vigilante-archetype
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Urban and Street Smart character dropped in the middle of rural or wilderness settings.

Man with the social skills of a hungry badger forced to lead a group of refugees through a war zone.

Have you ever actually used appraise in game?

Does using the occult skill version count?

Sure. Was it useful? Would you take it again?

What's it do?

Occult skill unlocks are pretty fun, not gonna lie

I once took a cloak and dagger quest as a explosion happy pyromancer

It didnt end well, even considering I had a non-shit charisma score.

I have a character built to use the occult skill unlocks. The best one is the aura sight that lets you see relationships between people.

Lepergoblinposter here, tonight is the moment of truth. I've updated the grentext to give context as I've found out more:
>decided to play a hobgoblin in a setting where goblinoids are seen as a scourge on the civilized races
>the reason for this is because of a massive set of wars half a century ago where the goblinoids played a key roll and carved out a huge part of the continent for their empire
>worked with my GM to play a hobgoblin who was exiled from the empire for a heinous crime
>the crime was rape, but because of how hobgoblin culture defines rape what he did was have consensual sex with another man's wife and was branded a rapist
>in the human countries he needs to hide out and not get killed by other races
>work with the GM on how this could work
>take squire (was level 5 at the time) and get a Cohort (upgrade to a full cohort with Noble Scion)
>the Cohort is a human bodyguard who is in on my secret
>covered in bandages, disguised as a leper
>wear full body coverings so no skin is shown at all, my ears are clipped, and my face is covered with a mask
>my fake backstory is that I am a foreign noble and a sort of 'holy leper' for their strange religion
>my bodyguard is to 'spare others coming contact with my holy flesh'
>the rest of the players aren't in on this and two even despise goblinoids with a passion
>this continues for more than a 20 sessions
>we're level 11 now
>thinking it might be time to reveal myself to the party, they might trust me enough
>one of the party members is suspecting me of hiding something big anyway
>we're heading towards the guy who originally accused my character
>after talking with my GM he says he's planning something for the encounter
>I have been trying to steer us away from the encounter but it seems inevitable
>my GM doesn't want me to reveal it
>I suspect the guy is going to reveal me to the party dramatically in a moment of high tension

(1/2)

Let's me read an item's psychic significance, giving me glimpses or the lost person who owned it, when this happened and some other real life psychic bullshit except it actually works. For example I want to know who, or at least what the person looked like, dropped the small bauble I found on the scene of a murder.

The one time I did use it was out of boredom on an abandoned shortsword to see where it was made, but turned out that I had on me proof that a local nobleman's son is responsible for a series of murders that had been plaguing the city.

I'm a Mastermind Investigator 7/Noble Scion 4. My cohort is High Guardian Fighter 10.

I'm out of time. Tonight is the night of the game and this seems to be the session it is going to happen. The game starts in about 45 minutes. My indecision before has made time run out for telling my party about what is going on. Personally I am ok with the party betraying/killing me, but I would prefer escaping if possible. I hope they do not turn on me but it is likely to happen.

Wish me lunch everyone, tonight is the moment of truth whether this is going to cause massive drama. I shall return in 5-6 hours with what happens.

Always wondered why mysterious criminals have some tendency to be some noble's son.

Because there's three kinds of "acceptable" serial killer types that people mostly will just nod and say "yeah, I could see this happening": Twitchy loner with parental issues, straight up insane person (whether Hannibal style mostly calm and intelligent type or the howling madman type) or a privileged rich kid. Mostly because. Mostly because the common folk can distance themselves from these and have prejudices against them in the first place.

Yeah, a lot. Just use it whenever you meet someone new to see if they're important or powerful enough to have expensive things(doesn't work vs monks always but whatever). Also very useful in scoping out marks for thieving.

Merchants try and rip us off all the fucking time, we need it if we don't want our money drained.

sounds like the DM doesn't understand pathfinder desu

Gun smuggler rogue.

Am I just missing something or is this archetype literal trash? How are you supposed to reliably sneak attack at range? They didn't even give you anything for that. It'd be a different story if you could restealth after shooting with hide in plain sight, but that takes a move action so you won't ever be getting off any full attacks. Snap shot seems like the only way to go, but the bab requirement and the feats you need for it just make me depressed.

It's literal trash, like every gun archetype except Gunchemist.

So /pfg/ my game's highest damage dealer is a basketball fighter.
And this isn't using Gonzo or PoW or anything.
His character is a fighter with the barbarian vmc, the startoss style feats, vital strike, and the 3.5 orc shotput (a large, furious, distance orc shotput).
The entire game up until this point we had no idea that this was what he was going for. We thought he was just playing a bizarre meme build that he played in 3.5 or something, but just this past session, after he dunked on a lovecraftian horror, he shouted "If you can't slam with the best, then jam with the rest!" and it all clicked into place and uproarious laughter followed.
I just felt like I needed to share this with you all.

All I wanted was a fun gun rogue that was slightly good, it didn't even have to be amazing, just playable is all I ask.

Ensoulment of the Bazketball Court when.

Really, I'd like to see Gun Smuggler have Sneak Attack permanently reduced to d4s, but always apply Sneak when attacking vs. Touch. Have it replace Finesse Training 2 or something.

Fuck off, Broodie.

I think that'd be fair, it'd be rewarding the risk of getting close enough to hit the first range increment.

Exactly, keep the sneak attacks competitive with gunslinger dex to damage and then just put it on every attack, it'd make for a more fun class than "I sneak around and attack once, okay now I'm useless", it'd also bring some variety in gun classes, as you kind of have to play gunslinger or gunchemist to be effective, or maaaybe pray that your gm allows legendary gunslinger's playtesting material to be used for your character.

I use it fairly often to pin down our sale values for things we found in our game, certainly. Even had a chance to haggle a bit with it.
It's a very useful skill.

What about Kira Yoshikage?

He's somewhere between types two and three. A lot of what he gets away with is on account of his father spoiling him with supernatural powers, but he's also just genuinely insane.

But user he literally already said straight up insane person, you're just jojoposting for the hell of it now.

I'm running a game currently where the party is basically a group of investigators after someone a lot like Kira.

They're having a very bad time because they're realizing they're not dealing with someone that they're guaranteed to just be able to defeat when they finally track him down.

Should I tone him down or keep the villain as threatening? The party has leveled up from 2 to 6 over the course of the adventure. The serial killer has also been leveling up.

>Requirement: This special ability can be placed only on melee weapons usable with Weapon Finesse.

First time making a spherecaster, which spheres and talents work best with soulweaver? I dont intend to be wantonly raising my enemies as undead though

Well, if death isn't your thing, then pretty much anything else that doesn't require you to stand on the front line. You can blast with destruction, debuff with dark or mind, support with enhancement or war, control areas with protection, nature, or weather...the list is about 19 spheres long.

Is there any archetype for another class that can get the Cavalier's order ability?

>using 3.5 crap

You deserve it.

>someone that they're guaranteed to just be able to defeat when they finally track him down.

Well of course they can't beat him. Sheer Heart Attack has no weakness.

Yes, frequently.

I need some help, guys. What the cheapest way for me to deal with cursed items? We've been running into a lot lately, three of them in the last session (one of which was a weapon a PC used to use, lost, and then found again). Tips for getting rid of curses or even just detecting them would be great.

So I've been playing Champions Ballad dlc for Zelda BotW, and now I have a strong urge to play mai waifu.

So now I'm wondering, what would be the best ways to build her in PF? How would you go about doing it in 1pp, DSP, and DDS seprately?

Now you need to make a Magus that just uses "Zaubers".

Well they look to be a human, or maybe a half elf. probably an aristocrat, or expert. I could maybe help more if you, ya know, told us what this character actually does.

Don't forget a dwarf Sacred Fist and a kid gunslinger.

>He hasn't played the latest Zelda.
Okay, I'll try to make this simple. The character is Champion Urbosa, Queen of the Gerudo people (a race of 7-8ft tall desert amazons), and chosen to pilot the Divine Beast Mech Vas Naboris to fight Calamity Ganon.

She was known to be a skilled warrior, capable of masterfully wielding the Radiant Shield and her scimitar The Sword of the Seven. She's also capable of conjuring and controlling lightning with great proficiency, and could summon bolts from the sky with pinpoint accuracy, as well as great storms of electrical fury that could ravage a battlefield.
youtu.be/ynX2DZXdcMI

That sounds like a Half-Giant Mystic.

For DDS, Destruction-focused Prodigy or Mystic Magus

>Prodigy
That a new thing from the Gish book or something?

yep.

>Mystic Magus
No.
If SoP is involved, I would go with Combat Hedgewitch with Destruction sphere with Blast Type Focus (Lightning) to bump the CL up to full CL.

>Playing garbage
I've got my fill with Pathfinder. I don't need more.

I'm not sure wishing you "lunch" will help much, user.

Go back and join the rest of your kind on shit-taste island

Do where's this SoP Gish playetest? It's not in the pastebin

It ended

How many shotputs does he carry around?

I used it yesterday to appraise some gems at a bazzar for a Dwarf cleric of Dumathoin.

Keep him as threatening. Are there any ways that you've revealed how powerful he is?

Samurai. You would think that there would be a Fighter archetype for it. You could use the VMC rules to get the Order, but it would cost half of your feats.
>d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement/#Base_Classes

>Keep him as threatening. Are there any ways that you've revealed how powerful he is?
They had a moment where they actually entered his previous home and found 'a house of nightmares'. He has the Grisly Murder Serial Killer Vigilante ability and they found a room full of his work.

So 16 saves against nightmare effects all at once was a bad time.

Battle Cleric build with the Air (Lightning) or Weather domains.

>No way fag
This always kills me.

>d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/n/nightmare
>d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes-paizo-inc/serial-killer-vigilante-archetype

If any of them made the Spellcraft check to identify Nightmare, then they'll think he's at least level 9. I hope they have a lot of adventures to catch up.

"No way fag" is easily the greatest influence Plague has left on the internet

is there a legit way to get a 22 in a stat by level 4?
apparently younger me, a rules lawyer was able to achieve this feat in character generation but i have no idea how because older me barely remembers the rules

You could be an Aasimar and trade your SLA in for a +2.
You could be Old and get +2 to mental stats in exchange for -4 to physical ones.

Or shell out gold for an enhancement bonus item.

Orc or Goblin for STR or DEX, respectively.
Aasimar or Tiefling, trading in your SLA for a "randomly-rolled" +2 to a stat.
Being Middle-Aged and putting your 4th-level stat increase in a mental score.

All of these require a starting, pre-racial and pre-age ability score of 18, mind you.

age is how i did it apparently. he's an old man. but his attacks go off of wisdom anyways so its all good

For mental stats Age. For Str choose Orc, for Dex choose Goblin, for Con choose Troglodyte. Also all of these can be done with alternate tieflings and a good roll on the d100 chart.

>Need to pick a weapon for my character, any one handed slashing weapon
>Narrow it down to katana, bastard sword or falcata

Do I want 1d8 (18-20/x2) for more crits, 1d10 (19-20/x2) for a higher base weapon die or 1d8(19-20/x3) for harder hitting crits? Decisions decisions

Also, I am not sure why the falcata is a deathstick, I recall from writing that falcatas do make horrifying wounds but i'd think they would use scimitar stats

Falcata is the best of the bunch, by far.

1d10 is a shitty damage die, and Katana is just a scimitar with 1 extra damage on average. Falcata is the only one which meaningfully changes the damage calculus.

Would it change much if I get to use large weapons though? Though, 2d6 vs 2d8 is a difference of +2 average damage for 2d8

Large Bastard sword is a classic for a reason.

Hey pfg, how did your last session go?
Mine was like this :
>finally get to duel the big bad restov swordlord as a mivonian swordlord
>start the fight, we both roll 1 and disarm ourselves
>mfw we awkwardly picked up each other sword and gave it back before continuing

How do you guys keep notes?
keep the general role separate from the quest/session notes?

>First time as a PC instead of a DM since 2013
>Make Vigilante (Stalker) // Spell Sage
>Take job to recover tapestry from a place of the coast of Reth (Fareun)
>Almost killed by two Hidden Blades on the road
>OD // Forgemaster won't stay within reach of me to grant me Aegis
>Mountains are snowed in, have to take a boat
>Get critical hit with mighty composite [Str 14] longbow
>Draw two critical hit cards from the deck
>Triple damage + knocked back 25 feet
>Journey continues without incident

With a spare piece of paper

Oh I meant digitally, as a GM.

What does disabling magic traps with masterwork thieves' tools actually look like, in-universe? What happens to, say, a Symbol of Death that takes thieves' tools?

The same things in a spell component pouch.

Chalk, blood, powdered iron, or whatever can be used to destabilize the flow of magical energy.

With a spare piece of paper.

What do you mean by general role?

When I make a session, I write all encounters and descriptions of the adventure ahead of time. For most enemies, I just write the page number from the Bestiary, Gamemastery Guide, or NPC Codex. For custom NPCs, I make them in the document.

Dyslexia too the better of me. Lore*

Oh yeah, fair. I'll consider using that. (first timer)

For general lore, I just use the stuff from the books, like Old Empires (AD&D), the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (3.0), and Races of Faerun. I'm more familiar with Faerun than Golarion.

By narrowing the focus and keeping the PCs in one country, I don't have to keep track of that much. I also made another document with the timeline because PCs affect and are affected by the world around them during adventuring and downtime.

Why would you both roll to disarm? If the first person failed and dropped their weapon, there was nothing for the second person to disarm, no?

We both rolled 1 to attack, so our DM ruled we disarmed each other

>critfails

Jeebus

I'm familiar with Samurai. I'm writing some cavalier Homebrew so I wanted to avoid unintended exploits. If it's just the Cav and Samurai the can get orders then all is well

This hurts me.

How come rangers never got more options for their Hunter's Bond?

Because fuck martials, why else?

/pfg/ I need some build advice. I want to play an Undine trident inquisitor. How should I build it? I dont want to get fucked over by my stats later on or hamper my party.

Would anyone have Pathfinder Chronicles: Cities of Golarion?

What action is it for a Warpriest to bestow teamwork feats with a touch?

Is it a minor or a free?

Why the fuck are Avowed Psychic "casters" and why are they using Verbal Components if they are "Psychic" casters?

There's an explanation right there in the pdf. Read it.

How much control over my summoned creatures do I have? If we speak a common language and I give them an order, are they compelled to follow my commands or might I need to make diplomacy checks if they're intelligent?

Hi, I am planning to start a new campaign with my players.
Looking for some advice:

What would be good character builder (--> Was planning on using PCGen)?
What would be good lore to start into (official or create one)?
What would be bad/annoying classes to avoid?

Other advices..

any action or an ability, unless otherwise stated, is a standard action.

Full control. You're not bringing the exact creature, but more like bringing up an image of that creature.

Thank you user.

>Heavy Arms Hero (Ex) The vigilante can treat weapons that are sized for creatures 1 size larger than them as though they were sized for the vigilante. They can also treat two-handed weapons sized for them as though they were one handed weapons and one-handed weapons as light weapons for any effects that would benefit them

Clarification, does this mean I can one hand a large nodachi or greatsword?

But only if I CAN communicate with it, right? Even if I'm creating/summoning something that's perfectly obedient, it can't magically read my mind so I still have to be able to tell it what I want to do?

No? It explains it right there.
You can use a large nodachi as if it were a 2H, and you can treat a medium 2H nodachi as if it were a one-handed weapon.

Play a straightforward adventure module first, just to get a feel for the game and the process.
Godsmouth Heresy is a little bit different from the norm, but still very straightforward.