>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>thread q
What sort of basics do you use in your decks?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-deadguy-ale-40083#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/spiritsdec-2/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

explain to me why modern isn't shit

Deathrite shaman is banned?
the format is healthy and interesting?

> buying any new MTG
Amonkeht is overrated.

Post your rare Ghoulcallers.
(I really want her for my mono-black zombie deck)

May I have your attention please. Will the real modern general please stand up?

*stands up*

>What sort of basics do you use in your decks?
I was actually gonna ask about this. I usually use whatever mismatching draft box stuff I have but I'm thinking about matching basics. What basic Plains should I use in my Martyr Proc deck? I'm thinking the Shards of Alara desert one, but I also like the Guay lands

the lands from mirage are prety good

I can't find any fun deck to play however. No tier deck feels good to me.

Doesn't matter anyways because I can't afford Modern decks.

>Playing
Restore Balance at the moment
>Hating
The fact that Misty died for the sins of Jace
>Brewing
Restore Balance with no cascaders. So far it's sub-par but Ancestral Vision is nice.

>Basics
I use Odyssey basics, they're pretty nice

Is humans really as good as everone is saying?
It feels like fotm meme deck like Mono Blue Livnig end.

I know i might get called a faggot, but i think some of the Kaladesh basics are pretty sweet. I use this one in every blue deck i have. I also like Esper plains, and the Zendikar penis mountain.

The art on some of the newer lands is nice but the M15 border is inexcusable

It's pretty good. Kitesail Freebooter and Meddling mage give it a lot of interaction while still having a strong clock

Feels very FotM, would rather D&T, meddling mage is really good though

I've grown to love the Hour full arts, especially in foil.

The swamp is the only decent one there, all the rest suck for art style.

no u.

Anyone else liking the new un lands?

Beautiful, Never before has mono blue felt so blue.

Fix the picture my guy

I found a fun deck :)

The Swamp and Plains are the only unstable Basics I care for. The forest is fucking ugly as sin, the chose the absolute worst shade of green they could

wow this is some awful visuals

>penis mountain
Mah man

What were they thinking?

Wtf am I looking at here?

That art is great but in general I've been underwhelmed with the art on new cards.

Art is actually one of the things I really like about Unstable, they gave the artists a little longer leash to do interesting things instead of the forced synthetic CG dogshit they've been heaping on lately.

Magic! Also this guy's deck but better.

>untap, pop both GQs for Plea
>jk there's a bloodmoon
>instant speed Outburst instead
based opponent with the manafixing

>most diverse format
>CANT FIND A DECK
>cheapest eternal format ignoring non-formats like pauper
>CANT AFFORD IT

Then keep pissing away money on useless standard, constructed probably isn't for you in the first place.

latest meme, some thoughts?

2poor4modern buddy unless you can find me a good 100$ or lower deck.

Instant speed balance on their turn then Nahiri and an empty board on my turn. Blood moon doesn't do shit cause I GQ'd for the forest in response. I just don't see how you're supposed to play balance without these sorts of shenanigans

>4 search and 4 tribe elders
>only runs 4 basics
Why?

This, the arts one of the best parts to the game.

Doesn't bring to light scapeshift acomplish this better?

Yeah should probably change that

The goal was to make one of those dankass Titanless Dark Petition Jundshift lists, but with an active Hour of Promise package (and 3 omen to furthur mitigate this)

Hour of Promise w/o deserts always triggered my autism, so I tried for a Scapeshift build that allowed for 3+ deserts by using Omens and forgoing Titan.

Could probably go that route too, I love the idea of a BtL for WURBG with Omen, getting Hour of Promise.

Bring to Light can't get Lilly though, so it's not strictly better!

between 8 basic only ramp spell, it's risky but not too bad

commander is the cheaper than modern

>most diverse format
ha
hahahahaha
you're just uninformed kiddo it's ok

What are you doing here legacybab? Your thread is actually up for once, go namefag in it. I know you can't actually go play legacy anywhere, but come on.

Legacy fags get out reeeeeee

>need 65+ individual cards
Only if your commander deck is trash.

>4x DRS
>4x Cabal Therapy
>4x FoW
>4x Brainstorm
>4x Ponder
>4x LED
>Some win cons

Look mom, I made an entire format all by myself!

Any advice to play colorless eldrazi tron?

Google 'how to thoughtseize' and that'll teach you how to use thoughtknot. Then just play lands that should be banned in modern and drop fatties until you win.

>playing
burn
>hating
death's shadow
>brewing
Death and Taxes

I'm sure there is some way to make it a good deck in modern.

Modern is to creature based for Taxes user.

I get that alot. And it's true. It's what kills my dream of both Thalias dominating the format, that and Stoneforge being b& ( she shouldn't be desu, she dies to bolt and black removal like nothing so she isn't a problem asl ong as mother of runes is never printed in a standard set again). Steelshaper's Gift being a sorcery is kind of gay. If recruiter of the guard was modern legal I'd be gold for a prototype since Vryn Wingmare is in there.

You consider running pic related?

could help with creature decks.

Not to be picky but I thought about one of those and 4 mana even with the Vials is kinda steep later game. Modern matches don't last that long. I am headed to the last Unstable draft of the weekend so I'll pick one up anyway to see how it works out with my group before tonight's draft tho.

The deck is in serious beta without tutor in mono white it hard as shit, I may have to go Orzov and put in Dark Confidant, kinda make a hybrid of Dead guy Ale and Taxes. I have most of the stuff for it already but my god without the ability to get out the swords its hard.

If you bolt or push a stoneforge its still a demonic tutor for the correct sword of x and y. It's literally impossible for that card not to be a 2 for 1. The fact that you also get to cheat on mana is just a bonus in modern, the format is way slower than legacy. It's only a fair card in legacy because decks like belcher exist.

Better Magus

>Playing
Nothing yet, just started working on getting into Modern after a two set vacation from a depressing Standard
>Hating
Looking over all of the builds in the meta... I guess Tron? Just because the way that deck works I can only think about a few obnoxious at an old LGS drooling over that deck and the smarmy, punchable looks they would have whenever they manage to slap down Karn.
>Brewing
Working towards Grixis Delver/Shadow, Jeskai Control, Temur Prowess and Naya Burn. Ordered most of the staples in the last week (Whoever in the last thread pointed out the massive price drop in Cryptic Command, Ancestral Vision and Thoughtseize, thank you for pointing that out) and I'm waiting on earning a perfect attendance bonus from work before ordering the Snapcasters. Then the Fetches will be ordered in January/February at some point.

Already got two in the sideboard for tron fags my dude.

I like the idea, but you would need to suck it up and put in sorcerys like steelshapers gift like you said before. Sorry.

Also if you plan to run Magus in the side against tron you better splash a blood crypt and go mardu colors.

There a pretty of turn 2 turn 3 win decks in modern that cost less then 100 bucks. You might not win a GP but you can clean house at your local store.

GOOGLEFU

/this

The cheapest deck that's under 100 that's somewhat viable is Martyr Proc or Aristocrats. Neither will get you a GP win, but you can get your 4-0's in your local store.

If you're relaly good at either deck, it's possible to day two with the decks and if you get lucky, a top 8.

TEENY
TINY
LITTLE
WHITE
MEMES

d&t has a list already

not really

TKS is better than Mystic in this format

thats a bad idea . it hurts you more than the other guy in most cases.

i've been working on modern deadguy. it's ok.

If I play a basic, I've probably already lost because I'm a degenerate tron babby.

>friend builds Bant Spirits
>wants to playtest
>friend tilts very easily and I do my job as his friend to tease him endlessly for something so silly
>"sure"
>bring out Lantern Control
>he hates Lantern but I just built it and am trying to get as much practice as I can with it
>win, he gets frustrated, sideboards all the hate
>win again, he's tilting so hard the rage is palpable
>"one more fucking game, fuck that deck, Lantern sucks"
>"sure man"
>shuffle up, we keep sideboard cards in
>he plays a land, pass
>I play Glimmervoid, Codex Shredder, blind mill his top card
>Spell Queller
>Pay 2 life for Surgical Extraction to his Queller
>takes his hand and throws it across the table while scooping
>he's pissed off the rest of the night
>"DUUUDE IT'S JUST A GAME BRO CHILL OUT HAHAHAHA"
>later find out his hand had the other three Spell Quellers in it

I've never seen someone so mad at a card game before. Anyone else want to share some stories?

Isn't deadguy ale basically Bob&Misty&Tidehallow.dec? With the rest of the cards being typical B/W answers and Souls?
Honestly until Misty is a thing, it's probably just as good to forgo the mustanswer 2drops and instead just jam as many Chads and Lillys as possible.

I love the critical mass of 2drop mustanswers that deadguy has, but between the planeswalker centric plan of 9chad and lingering souls you'll gain a lot of value by nulifying your opponent's spot removal

tl;dr go 9chad instead, at least until they unban stoneforge and you can cut some of the chads to make room for dem busted OP 2cmc creatures

also what's your modern ale look like?

Off the top of my head I'd assume something like this
mtggoldfish.com/archetype/legacy-deadguy-ale-40083#paper and pic

best way to play a sword is off sram's expertise. they've gotta nuke 3 dudes to stop you from bashing with it next turn.

Are there any deredgebros out there that can give me advice? i just bought into the deck

Is there such a thing as casual modern? Technicly my vampire b/w attrition deck is modern-legal but no one would call it a "Modern deck"

Well, sure. Modern is really only deck construction rules, so you can make a Modern legal Cat Tribal deck if you really want to. Not sure why you'd want to, though. If you're playing competitively you'll get creamed, and if you're playing at the kitchen table, why are you limiting yourself?

Your best friend OG tron is back boys. Meta pushed DS and aggro away and here we go, we killed modern again.

>tron is back
i am going to FARM ISC with mono-white d&t if tron wins this gp.

how does DeT do vs death's shadow? Badly i imagine?

it's fine. you make all their 1s cost 2, take them off red and shove a mirran crusader up their ass.

game 2 with multiple dusk/dawn makes it a joke if that card comes up.

of course i am just theory crafting with not even a great grasp of the decks, but it feels like, while thalia is great and arbiter is too, DS has the tools to turn it into a grind and then win through sheer card quality. But on the other hand all hate cards of the deck are great vs shadow decks. I will trust you anyway, thank you.

all you really have to do is hit them twice with crusader. you start nuking red sources, chump block their big guys and save your removal and flicker effects for snapcaster mage so they can't flash block the crusader.
if at any point you resolve either half of dusk/dawn the game is essentially over.

Hey dudes, I'd presume your getting tired of me occasionally shilling my deck, but I would really appreciate any recommendations as to how I can make this less shit. It actually does alright, but I certainly feel it could be better.

Forgot link like the genius I am.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/spiritsdec-2/

Kami seems pretty shit and Dsphere seems very shit. Maybe some vials? Or simply more removal.

Pulled a foil one of those babies

What happened to EldraTron?

nothing really, might easily come back next tournament, it was a very real threat in hte meta and was among the decks peopel were reactign to, in particular with jeskai control, which OG tron farms EZ.

White Humans, Goblins

>brewing
I've been having a lot of fun with this pile. Its a good bit harder to play in paper though as I'm used to having an easy library count and access to a hypergeometric calculator. I want to try eternal scourge as a sideboard plan.

>top 8 of GP Oklahoma is nothing but uninteractive goldfish decks

Truly the greatest format in Magic.

What really boggles my mind is people who think that a "diverse" format automatically means a healthy format. Imagine a rock paper scissors tournament where your choice is locked in at the beginning of the tournament. The top 8 of this tournament would be a pretty even split of rock paper and scissors. Would this be a healthy tournament? Hell fucking no Jesus fuck, but according to these acolytes of Modern, it would be.

Is there a deck similar to Legacy Big Red in Modern?

Yeah, Modern Big Red

Legacy Big Red is basically a mono-red Sneak and Show deck, the Modern one is markedly different

Yeah that shit's lame, but it's not like people don't complain about having a fucking land kill you on turn 4 or people having 7 mana on turn 3.

People like Modern because it's a brewers playground and the "fair" decks are fun as shit to play. Legacy and Vintage are just full of dumb bullshit and free spells (xd tapped out but force of will xd sneak and show emurakul xd cantrips xd), Standard is slow stagnent, Modern is the only gold in the pile of shit.

Modern is just as much a pile of shit as the other formats, it just has less peanuts in it so when you're smearing it on your boyfriend's cock to use as lube for when he's fucking you, it doesn't quite hurt as much.

And theres your answer

Fuck you bitch nigga I love chunky peanut butter.

>Playing the most casual modern magic you possibly can with my try hard friend
>this guy is a try hard for literally any game
>Im playing mid range mono white humans
>hes playing some janky ass 75 card deck with no central theme or anything really
>im slowly winning and pumping out tokens with thraben doomsayer, making champion
of the parish swole
>He pyrexian revokes my doomsayer but then I fiend hunter it next turn.
>He thinks that the effect lasts all game but i inform him of the grim reality.
>He picks up his cards and tells me i always try and enforce my rules on the game
>never plays magic with me again

I was left utterly flabbergasted as I never rub in victories or smart plays and often go out of the way to overplay how upset i am when something fucks me up.

He plays with me again but he prefers 2v2s now. So he can blame the other teammate for a loss.

UR Breach isn't uninteractive
still though, ban tron, cause of all these problems

>don't want to buy 4 copies of some random ass double faced card like Vyrn's Prodigy

>Buy 1
>Use 4 of these tokens in my deck
>save 50 bucks

I love this rule

Sorry, homie, but its a 1-1 ratio

Who's going to know?
>Just leave some shit proxies in the side