Unstable draft

Post your Unstable experience.

For me:
- players used Spike to fetch Smuggler's Copter and Emrakul;
- red wasn't so impressive, but WUB is strong as hell;
- a mechanic that makes value based on the difference between two six sided dice results is kinda weak;
- games were too long;
- lifegain is a bit too strong here;
- some combos are really degenerate but mostly unachievable in limited;
- Urza a shit;
- GO TO JAIL is a god tier removal;
- Blurry Beeble is the best 1-drop;
- Contraptions are boring but really usable;
- playability = rarity;
- you probably can't imagine how good Clocknapper actually is, she is my new waifu and I am looking for lewds with her.

Go play REAL Magic, fag.

>- a mechanic that makes value based on the difference between two six sided dice results is kinda weak
I kind of thought this would be the case and i was surprised they put them in. I think they did it because numbers don't go as high so its easier to control but it's just not good, especially since they can miss.

I've been wondering how good the dice rolling stuff in this set has been in general. I'm interested in how successful it ends up being. I think they are mining for a black borderable dice rolling mechanic because of how varied all the dice rolling abilities in the set are. I also figured go to jail would be absurdly powerful. 1 mana kill a dude and they have to roll doubles to get him back is pretty crazy. Though if games go long it becomes more likely.

"REAL Magic" isn't as fun anymore. It's lost its charm.

I had a blast. Drafted RG, The Big Idea and Earl of Squirrel were great.

I was thinking of buying a box to draft with friends.

Hey I might be slow on this but has anyone else noticed the black parts aren't synced up together?

Pic is my rares

>that many Unstable rares

How does it feel to spend so much money on useless cards, user?

Meh two boxes for $160 isn't a lot. Sides my play group is ok with most silver border cards and almost all unstable cards.

The purpose of cards is to have fun, so I don't really see how these cards are any more useless than standard cards.

You bought two booster boxes? How many mythics did you get? A friend of mine counted and said he got 9 mythics in his box, which I find almost impossible to believe, but as it's unstable I suppose it's possible they changed the frequency? Can you confirm?

>ITT: Yugifag retards who aren't smart enough for real Magic

My first draft was S.N.E.A.K. based evasion contraptions, and when you are the only guy going deep on contraptions you can feel like a god

contraptions can be mythic as well as the normal rare slot in the pack can be mythic as well as the foil.

I got 9 non-contraptions mythics (no urza :(, 2 inf elemental and 2 great calcutron) and 6 mythic contraptions (only 1 pair of doubles).

He is most likely counting the contraption mythic with the normal mythic and maybe a foil or two.

t. tryhard standard player who forgot how to have fun years ago
(also you need to be smarter for unsets. eg Rules Lawyer)

He says he got a foil plains, urza, baron von count, do-it-yourself seraph, phoebe head of sneak, hard hat area, infinity elemental, summon the pack, and faerie aerie.
I was under the belief that booster boxes were limited to 3 mythics, so is that not the case with these boosters? Bear in mind he got all this from ONE box, not two.

Normal booster boxes range from at the very very least 2 to I think 8?

Nice on the foil land but I wouldn't count that as a mythic. faerie aerie and hard hat area are both contraptions so if you don't count those either he pulled 6 mythics from his box which is roughly what i pulled from each of mine.

I gotta say, putting X in your opponent's hand and forcing them into topdeck mode has got to be one of the worst, most negative - play experiences you can force on someone.
So naturally I did it to every single opponent I played against.
Between X, Clocknapper, and Kindslaver, my opponents did not get to play at all.

Fuck Everythingamajig. The one that lets you pay 1 to flip a coin and make if you win it anyways. My opponent spent like twenty minutes looping it and FUCKING FIZZLED OUT

Agreed. These days all thats worth playing is at-home edh, cube, and un sets. "Real magic" is about as fun as fucking a cheesegrater these days.

don't tell him about mana screw.

Hi, Rudy.

This. This infinitely.

I bought a box too and only got around that many mythic as well.

Wow, clocknapper is way less cute when you see her full picture.

Players who say that Rules lawyer is complicated are the same ones who bolted Goyfs and now think they're smart.

You know each pack has a land that is usually worth more than the pack itself?

Go for aggro if you think you can. Abzhan colors seem to have the best for you, and you can easily punish most of the slow drafts.

I went for GW aggro and pulled second place in my local draft tournament.

So much fucking fun.

i like land drop + rocket myself

One thing I keep wondering... why didn't they make augment creatures also castable on their own? I don't understand. It feels like there should have been a way to do it. I guess maybe it has something to do with the rules text? But it feels like there should have been a way to get around that. Not being able to cast both halves without needing to augment really hurt the mechanic imo.

That is called bestow my dude.

Not exactly. The main thing with the host augment mechanic is how the abilities mesh together.

Also you are right about one thing. That's why they made bestow work the way it does. Because it's better gameplay to be able to cast both halves on their own. You also realized that yes, augments are basically just creature auras

Minor differences in cutting. Because the black is a minor approximation of an exponential curve, small differences in the X axis make a very big difference in the Y. It's likely it happens with black border cards too but you can't tell as easily since you'd have to look at each card in two dimensions instead of a one dimensional cutaway like you can with silver

Makes sense to me, I also have some different bleed on the printing on some of the cards. (I think I'm using the term bleed right)

Has anyone suggested this before?

>Which artists can I choose?

>Any artist who has ever been credited on a Magic card or printed token.
>printed token.

Damn.
Looks like we can't have fun drawing art for our own tokens for card draw then.

also gotta be careful with it because it isn't a may. Really only matters for someone who goes 100+ tokens, unlikely will happen in draft.

Tapped a lot of creatures by saying "moist" and "daddy."

Rules Lawyer is great. Another guy used Better than One to team up with me while we both had Rules Lawyers out.

I used X to Cast my opponent's spike to cast Emrakul. Good Times.

Besides X and Spike, the whole set is quite fun so far and even feels weirdly fair.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Unstable. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewers head. There's also Baron Von Count's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Unstable truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Baron Von Count's existential catchphrase "Doom has no snooze button!" which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenevs Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Mark Rosewater's genius wit unfolds itself on their kitchen tables. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have an Unstable tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Can't you just draw a stick figure but then sign the artist as a chosen name, rather than your own? Just sign everything as Wayne England, for example?

just as much as you can write "when this comes into play I win" on a land and play it first turn.

drafted agents of sneak. I got both X and pheobe. Phoebe was a lot better for limited, but I have a feeling I am going to use X for my unmander.
Loved contraptions actually a lot, with the right ones, they can have a big impact. I drafted only 6, and one of them was the hard hat area, and once I got that one, I was guaranteed the rest of my contraptions. I feel like, there could be some good consistency with contraptions.
clocknapper, is also really good, won a few games thanks to her.
Blurry beeble was useless, since 80% of my lgs had glasses (I only noticed this now).
I got Summon the Pack, but I didn't have the heart to put it in, because I was afraid, I would spend too much on packs and I need to save right now.
That said, I really enjoyed most of all the environment. Everyone was in on the jokes and having a good time. It was such a nice experience.

Kind of wonder if they could have gone for a tribal theme in addition to the host and augment. Like if you are a turtle your 0/+1 or if you are a elephant you get trample, etc. Though that probably would fill up to much space and not be as much fun.

OH SHIT.

>Tapped a lot of creatures by saying "moist" and "daddy."
What card does that?

>Un-Masters in the future

Might be able to talk your group into allowing it for silver-border kitchen table EDH, anyway.

Or 60-card kitchen table. It kills me that EDH has crowded out every other form of kitchen table play. Not that I don't like EDH, but I like 60-card kitchen table constructed too and these days nobody plays it.

Why didn't we get something like this in Theros block?

60-card kitchen table is more likely to arms race faster from what I've seen.

>opponent uses this on my target minotaur
>every turn at upkeep he taps him
>forgets one turn long enough for me to to swing with him

fun times. when 2-1 with mono red. with It That Gets Left Hanging you really have to pick your target if your licking your hand beforehand, might have to fake blow nose. i might have to up my game, start bringing a hand buzzer or something.

I don't like this card because it encourages rushing through your turn so that your opponent forgets to whisper "Guatemala" long enough for you to get a hit in

its like go to jail, its constantly good until its not. otherwise it would be a regular card. the unstable set relies on luck, memory, and minor skills.

I drafted red green. Wrench rigger is really good and I had four of them. All my contraptions buffed my creatures and made them unblockable, so I basically won games with contraption voltron

>relies on luck, memory, and
>minor skills.
So it's better than regular MTG then?

Had a lot of fun, playing skull saucer with handy dandy clone machine token in play is really annoying yet amusing, especially if you have to roll dice. Went 2-1 in both drafts Friday.

And I opened a foil island in my prize booster

It was a blast. Played League of Dasterdly Doom with lots of creatures.

>play It That Gets Left Hanging
>lick my hand and ask a friend of the opponent to high five
>I can see the doubt in his face
>look at him in the eyes and visibly pick my nose
>he concede
>I swing for letal

or my favourite

>opponent at 2 life left
>two creatures on the board, one is skull saucer
>play Hazmat Suit (Used) on It That Gets Left Hanging (already on the board)
>put the card in my open hand (I have enought life to lose 2 life and be ok)
>slowly bring it near him like if I was trying to high five him
>he can't escape because if he do he has to sacrifice skull saucer and he wouldn't be able to block my creature
>get high fived in the face by It That Gets Left Hanging and instantly lose the game

In the end won 3-0 and also magaged to won the league of dastardly doom poster at the random post draft draw.

Had extra money to spend, bought a box knowing lands alone would pay for it down the road. Cracked a foil Plains too.

Feels good, man.

i dont know why people i know are audibly announcing they refuse to buy or draft and "illegal set", like they are too good for it.

like its worth it for lands alone, and you get to have some fun. all these elitist playing a childrens card game, treating it like SERIOUS BUSINESS, set it too IMMATURE for their taste. here im drafting having a blast and building towards a cube, while they play the same damn EDH decks for years and belittle or spurg out when someone doesnt play the same way they do.

Red green dice roll tribal, with buzzbark, hydradoodle, big idea, krark's other thumb, and 2x chittering doom. Didn't lose a single game.

Won the event but got second pick at posters, so I got crossbreed labs instead of the awesome goblin explosioneers :/

that's nice to hear. Though, Mark did a lot to make sure this set would sell well.

>Go to draft
>First pack
>Take half-squirrel
>Second pack
>Take ordinary pony
>Third pack
>Somehow get passed Rules Lawyer because everyone before me doesn't want to read the card
>End up drafting 2 squirrels, three ponies, two teacher's pet, and a robot dog, basically throw together infinite combo.dec
>Win round one by asking my neighbor if he likes squirrels until my opponent concedes.
>After the first round is done, the Judge calls everyone over because he forgot to explain that squirrelpony got errata'd.
>Now have a useless deck
>After drafting is done and the first round
>I now have a worthless deck
>Still manage to squeak out another win thanks to Rules Lawyer+a pair of Boomflingers and my opponent not drawing removal.

>Esper Contraptions, 4-1
>multiple Old Guards and Steady-handed Mooks to stall out early game
>two Gnome-Made engines for sac fodder
>two Chipper Choppers and Crow Storm, along with a Toastmaster
>Contraption deck buffs one 1/1 flier into an 8/8 that deals double damage
>OTK people or get back a flier with Refibrilator to try again

Dice rolling is fucking busted and lets any black-based deck easily roll people over if not immediately stopped.

Artifacts are insanely strong in this set, esper or azorius decks have swept all 3 unstable drafts I've attended.

Anyone else have a lot of fun with this guy?
The draw is crazy, once you get to higher Mana levels, you can easily cast 3+ spells per turn.

Playing Bant was fantastic for me.

Drafted Order of the Widget.dec. Beating ppl to death with a 23/23 Library was great. Also Do-It-Yourself-Seraph needs to be a real magic card.

Swet a draft running dastardly doom contraptions on Sunday with Big Idea, Mary O'Kill, and infinity elemental. People at my local store were still undervaluing contraptions, and I picked up a bunch of great ones. Never got Mary out turn 3 even though I had killbots, but I did regularly land all 6 contraptions by turn 5.

I dunno, but the 'card name length' variant set to 2 is damn strong.

Guy who won the draft kept using spike to get Umezawa's and basically won from that point.

You’ve clearly never had a halfway decent Golgari/Simic deck then. Ground Pounder is the best common in the whole set and WILL end games by itself, to say nothing of Snickering Squirrels or More or Less letting them hit even harder.

I’d say the weakest deck is probably Gruul for being forced to care about Contraptions in the early game with Wrench-Rigger and Steamflogger Temp, and not quite having the mana sinks of other colors (I know I just named one, but 6 for one Contraption is terrible unless you specifically have ramp Contraptions).