EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Sins of the Past Edition

Previous: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
Do you have hope for the future of EDH, Magic, and/or your involvement gets in? If so, what gives you that hope?

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/UE9Vqzu
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rhys-feat-dudes/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/x-gon-downtown/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/crosis-grixis-good-stuff/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There can be no hope.

For all I want is a fun Jund commander.

Proshh is just funky voltron. Everything else is boring or stax.

Haha OP you forgot the discord:
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

Simple mistake. Just remember for next time.

"Forgot".

>ywn play a fun landfall land sacrifice jund deck
>ywn play a UR artifact deck
>ywn play a WR spellslinger lifegain burn deck

Kill yourself.

It was the worst of times, It was the blurst of times.

What about Shattergang bros? They seemed fun enough.

Shattergang are stax.

I could but.

Eh.

Stax is stax is stax is stax.

Does Oloro control make sense or does he lend himself better to a lifegain deck? 2 life per turn is nice and all but it doesn't change the game

I always target the person that whips out oloro

Oloro control is pretty good

>Do you have hope for the future of EDH, Magic, and/or your involvement gets in? If so, what gives you that hope?
not entirely sure what all of this means ("involvement gets in"?)

but yeah i have hope. i like edh a lot. i like drafting a lot. i might start playing legacy a bit. i have faith in the nerds who make this stuff up and i think that some developments at wtoc (the new play design team & removing rigid block structure) will allow the game to get even better.

Seems like GAAIV would be better and more painful to fight against. 2 life? It's nice and all but really

Went 4-1 at Unstable draft last night with Esper Contraptions, and I want to make this a full EDH deck. What’s the best 5c Commander for this?

>falls for the unshit meme
>makes a deck
>silver borders banned in jan
>you wont get that time or money back

Not everyone's playgroups like playing with sticks up their asses, user.

>edh players worried about wasting time

>already cleared a houseruled banlist for Un-cards
>other players in the group are building Un-decks too
>it’s a fucking Contraption deck just run removal you cunt

>future of EDH
Although C17 was terrible as fuck, at least C16 was pretty good, and allowing Unstable in shows how much they don't cater to the cEDH audience.

>future of Magic
Bleak, standard is basically no fun allowed, and that dictates every single new set that feeds modern which used to be what I played.

Don't go 5c, go Breya.

>implying this isnt testing to make some commanders legal
>being "too good" for a fun set

>you wont get that time or money back
>basic lands pretty much pay for most of the pack, essentially playing for free with a chance of getting up to a foil 30 - 1000 card
>and go up in crazy prices in another 10 years guaranteed

wig shig diggy

t. poorfag stuck with cuckatrice that couldn't pay for a round of draft and is too autistic to interact with people irl

You need to run UR at least if you want contraptions

>one at a time targeted rolls is a strategy

>30 - 1000 card

What

$1000 card? Did you mean $100?

kresh is also funky voltron. build sek’kuar sac/recursion for profit.

Foil island is $99 right now, probably what he meant.

oh, couldve sworn urza foil was a thousand. probably on release day only, knock off a zero and its still pretty good. still, guaranteed 2-3 dollar card minimum aint nothing to laugh at.

Not to mention the foil tokens.

For pure silver 5c fun I'd say ramos.

Can anyone give me a suggestion on what to cut for Asceticism? I'll provide pictures of my pets as payment.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rhys-feat-dudes/

There’s probably supposed to be a dollar sign in there somewhere. Foils (excluding tokens) are harder to come by than most people expected. Especially if you pull a foil land. That shit’s cash money. I’ve opened 8 packs and only seen one foil. I saw someone online selling 10 foil islands from Unstable for ~$2500

Foil tokens ain’t worth shit in terms of cash.

People seem to be buying them at like $1.50, at least the popular ones. That's a decent enough return.

Maybe its because the only people who want to play un-sets are chaos fags or tryhards who need to feel special with their silver bordered cards

Fuck I need to brew

Does Oloro control make sense or does he lend himself better to a lifegain deck? 2 life per turn is nice and all but it doesn't change the game that much

$1.50 is decent. My statement that they aren’t worth much was based on what I saw on tcgplayer. Thinking about it, I traded a Storm Crow token and the Voice of Resurgence Elemental token for a foil Spell Pierce, which is like $2.75. So I guess they are worth something if you encounter the right people.

Oloro gives you life, Black has plenty of ways for you to spend life as a currency. Control Oloro makes plenty of sense.

Well lifegain is a bad deck. Oloro is decent as esper goodstuff, but you usually get focused for making people update their life pads every fucking turn cycle.

I'd rather play Dakkon Blackblade control with an optional commander damage finish. Or Zur because necropotence.

Monored Daretti Stax player reporting in.

>Do you have hope for the future of EDH, Magic, and/or your involvement gets in? If so, what gives you that hope?

EDH is right now a joke thanks to Sheldon. I am entirely sure that on January 15th those faggots WILL CONTINUE TO USE SILVERBORDER SHIT.
The only worthwhile way to play EDH is duel french commander now. Almost everyone mature enough to understand how garbage this situation is getting is arlready modifying their list to adapt to the 1 vs 1 with 20 life.

Guess it depends on what you want to do. Got blue for draw and what not. Although yeah, it helps in some ways.

Life pads?

Lifegain isn't great but I do like draining opponents as I gain through various effects.

>The only worthwhile way to play EDH is duel french commander now.

>Almost everyone mature enough
stopped reading right there. your playing a childrens card game, yet you are this much of an elitist prick about a fun, interesting set? maybe you need to stop playing or grow up instead of throwing a hissy fit like a child.

>magic
>children's card game

I highly doubt that. People who play at LGS will likely say fuck it and not play intil the 15th or join the other fags in Un-set revelry. Kitchen table will use house rules and if some faggot doesn't like it they will leave their group for the LGS

>he actually think that mtg isn't a children's card game

Explosive Vegetation

the amount of wizard shills for a useless joke set in this thread is disturbing

>The only worthwhile way to play EDH is duel french commander now.

How did you manage to pick the absolute worst format in existence?

The madness of the Un-Shit will fade in time. Just give it a few weeks.

>duel commander
>good
>silver-border being a problem
>he can't ask people to use their non-siver border deck

>thread question
Commander will never truly die, even if Magic itself does. Perks of being a casual format. It WOULD suck never to have any more sick tech to try out and experiment with though.

How much butthurt you are about a joke set that is going to be out of the format in a month is even more disturbing.

why do you think the market for magic is so flooded? confused parents buying something for their children that they have no knowledge of are the best customers. this is literally the same package pokemon would make.

i guess i shouldnt be surprised about the amount of elitist scrubs that are "too good" in an edh thread

>Still being this mad at a temporary rule change
>Even if they do say "Oh hey you can use silver bordered cards but only legendaries that aren't Richard Garfield, contraptions and a select few others" You would still probably be mad

It's been a week and 3 days since Sheldon said you can use Un-set cards. Have you played commander with your playgroup/at your LGS since the announcement? Have you or any other players there tried using silver bordered cards, and if so how did they affect the game? Have you discussed silver-bordered cards with your playgroup within the last week, or in the past for that matter?

Even if they did say "Hey Un-set cards are legal" in January they'd probably extend the banlist by a fuckton so that only like ~100 cards between all three un-sets were legal, contraptions included. This shit is literally just to A) Test the environment/reactions to silver-borders being legal in Commander and B) Give Wizards a few extra bucks by giving the joke set an extra use for people who play commander but might not be interested in drafting Unstable.

>he fell for the duel commander meme

>magic
>target audience anywhere over 18

Most of that price are mtg investors. They know that investing in those full-art lands is a safe bet

>being reminded of the gift set's existence
I'd wager EXL sold better than this, and EXL was destined to fail from the get.

You're an idiot if you interpreted that as me being mad. Duel Commander is a joke. I was laughing at you for being retarded. I honestly don't give a shit about the Un-card legality, my group agreed to not use it anyway.

I play eternal /non-rotating formats because no matter what happens, I'll have over two decades of stuff I was at least content in to play, and, barring bans, it'll always be available. If new stuff disappoints, I don't have to play it, and even if I don't play it, it doesn't mean I don't get to play magic.

>Brew a deck of pure un-shit
>Realise Un- would be stupid busted if built using proper synergy from black border cards
>Only allow self 1 non-mana source black border card per color, to keep it light hearted and silly
Am I doing it right? Or am I purposefully capping myself too hard? I'm worried its gonna iron out to be a lot weaker compared to my black border decks due to its limitations during dexkbuolding. Decklist in question: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/x-gon-downtown/

My bad, I mistook the reaction image in as one of despair. I agree Duel Commander's a joke too. Like nigga just go play Vintage

This was one of the most retarded moves I have seen. At least pokemon packs gives cards you can't find in boosters, cards with new art, and oversized versions, on top of shit like miniatures, pins, and coins.

Those 2 cards barely see play, those 5 lands have no reason to not be full-art, and why the fuck is Chandra on the cover? Shouldn't there be a Chandra card in the pack instead of Zari Kev?

Tg what's my next deck?

>barring bans, it'll always be available
Modern has gone to shit due to this. Standard has been doing so little to the format that they needed to ban modern decks to rotate the things a bit.

Teeg

Vela the Night Clad because that was the one I zoomed in on when I clicked the image

Crosis, the Purger Discard Tribal

>Not wanting to build a Daretti Contraption deck with a bunch of gobos and shit?

As another Daretti stax player, pic related.

>Do you have hope for the future of EDH
Yes. EDH, for the most part, feels pretty disconnected from the rest of Magic. I see a lot of Magic players treat EDH players with the same immaturity they treat people who play non-Magic TCGs.
>Magic
Not really. The game's not likely going to stop being made for a long time, as even if they lose the entire competitive community and fully alienate all long time fans (which isn't likely as it is), casual players and parents mistaking Magic cards for other games that their children want cards for (and parents getting their children into Magic because they had good memories of it as a kid) will be enough to keep it afloat. However, disregarding the consistently lower quality art (which is, admittedly, just my opinion), the sets both lowering mechanical complexity of the average card and throwing in more and more one-off mechanics is going to seriously limit design space, and I believe it will eventually back them into a corner. I don't know how they'll handle another Homelands.
>and/or your involvement
I've sold off most of my valuable Magic cards (there are a couple I kept for sentimental reasons - stupid, I know, I should probably sell them too), and only play casual EDH occasionally with my friends. I'm moving to a very different area soon, and I'll give the communities at the LGSes there a chance to not be like every other LGS community I've seen, and if it goes well, I'll probably continue to play casual EDH occasionally. Otherwise, I might just pack up my decks and stick them in a box in the basement.

So I wanna build unmander decks for each faction and I am going for Dr. Julius jumblemorph first. aside from every host/augment card what would be some good black border cards for the "feel" for crossbread labs?

I feel ya, I play a colorless shitbrew, which can only work because tron. If urza lands get b&, I'd probably just be out of modern indefinitely.

Wasn't it made clear this format isn't for people like you anymore?

ev has ended up getting cut from a lot of my decks

Doing it thanks

Upload the list to TappedOut and post it here when you're done. I want to see what my suggestion amounts to.

Do I need to drop my mono black deck if someone at my table is running mono blue?

Last night every time I tried to tutor or play a spell I got lol noped non stop

Teeg hatebears

tutors are meant to be countered

only pleb plebbicus uses tutors in edh

Fucking partners you dumb cunts

Nah, you just need to cast more than one spell a turn. Bait out counters so you can resolve mana doublers, then start playing 3+ spells per turn. Start running imp's mischief, or point some discard at them.

I just can't believe that one player has enough counters for three other people.

Alternatively, run Surrak Dragonclaw.

>tfw my playgroup has decided that un-cards aren't allowed

Since my playgroup clearly hates fun, what deck should I play to ensure the least amount of fun possible?

gitrod,stax, eggs, either some kind of blue "nu fun allowed" deck or a deck that combos and takes forever to finish with little to no real results like a infinite combo.

your playgroup is based

RURIC
THAR
STAX

What are some key fast voltron tech

Boooooring

But bloodsower sucks ass and silas rhen is a gay

I've got an old list this is what I'm going to start with
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/crosis-grixis-good-stuff/

Vial Smasher Thrasios is fucking INSANE landfall. Thrasios is literally landfall: the commander.

>Countering the tutor
>Not what they tutored for
Got blown out by sudden spoiling one too many times I see :^)

>brother's friend comes over to play magic
>fuck ya I finally get to play some edh with a real human
>pulls out Zur control
>it's a neat hybrid of legacy cards and tutors, with the whole gameplan being a "toolbox" setup with tutoring Rest in Peace + Helm of Obedience, or Mana Vortex, or apocalypsing + zur to tutor things and play around the lock
>I'm super stoked that I finally get to take the kids gloves off and build something really powerful
Alright, in terms of cards I have, I can build Jhoria MLD, Planeswalker Teferi featuring all the mana rocks and counters ever printed, Darietti stax, or Oona infinite mill combo. In terms of what would be effective, Jhoria seems like the least competitive because it's rather... hit or miss, and requires a solid setup, while Darietti is going to have a hell of a time interacting with enchantments. Teferi and Oona seem almost interchangeable, but what do you guys think? I 100% am going to have to play around counters and necropotence, but I have a glut of powerful cards like Mana Drain, Mana Crypt, and just about every non-reserved card/tutor you could want.

To beat his deck, there are only two real answers: he runs 6 creatures, and if I lock Zur out, I'll be able to extend the game until I can drop something fuck-huge.

That's not jund

I'm not using thrasios.

It's Jund but better, fuck

Sorry dude, I'm 99% Vorthos.

Teferi High Tide

>>>>>

Alright, I have a high tide kicking around.

Do I just paradox engine, bust out high tide, then lock down the board with a hard artifact-based lock?

>make first 3 decks
>have a mix of all 5 colors
>want to make new deck
>cant because dont want to deconstruct my original 3

how do i get over this