Why are cards like this worth so much?

So I pulled this $27 card, and it's neat and all that it's $27 and all, and it would be nice if I built a blue/black zombie/whale deck and all, but why is such a specific card worth $27? Honestly cards like Digest and Dispel that have higher usability and fuckery should be the ones coming out in smaller cycles at higher values, cards like this are like saying you need a screw that's exactly a 4th of a milometer long to cook macaroni, but that screw costs $200.

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/black-friday-treasure-chest-promotion-2017-11-07
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bombs tend to be the expensive cards. They get shit done.

>cards like this are like saying you need a screw that's exactly a 4th of a milometer long to cook macaroni, but that screw costs $200.

you sir are a poet

supply and demand

>"I don't understand anything about supply and demand" the post.
Cards are expensive due to demand and scarcity, like literally every other commodity. Scarab God has one printing and is a mythic in a small set that is heavily played in a widely played format. Turns out, that drives the price up. A card like Dispel is a common in multiple sets, sees less overall play than The Scarab God does, and has viable alternatives whereas the god does not.

I get supply and demand, but I would have just assumed that The Scarab God had less demand due to being designed for a more specific deck and more specific kind of player. I can see it being valuable, but $27 I would have thought be at least Mono or Artifact cards like UlaMog - The Ceaseless Hunger.

>The Scarab God had less demand due to being designed for a more specific deck and more specific kind of player.
This is where you're flat wrong. Research Standard right now and you'll quickly see that The Scarab God is heavily played in a wide variety of decks.

The zombie shit is just a bonus, the eternalizing and hard-to-remove are what make him amazing, especially with above curve stats. Also. colour fixing i so good in Standard that you can stick him in any deck pretty much, especially energy.

It sees play in Standard so people want it for decks. It sees play in EDH so people want it for EDH. It's a Mythic which means less copies overall opened. The demand is higher than the supply. Compound that with unscrupulous "investors" buying the card up to inflate price and create an artificial shortage and them dumping it later at the higher price.

Hmm, I guess I'm ust so use to black/red decks or black/green for zombies, black/blue feels reliant on black buffs and blue counters, which isn't bad at all, just I'd want more to fight with than black.

You can put him in Black Blue Green, and Green Blue Red often has a little bit of black from Aether Hub and Servant of the Conduit to play Scarab God and Hostage Taker.

It's not really a zombie card. The other abilities are far more powerful and relevant to Standard. You can play him in a variety of decks thanks to mana fixing and he's one of the best threats in the format right now. Stop thinking about him as only in U/B decks or zombie decks, it's limiting your ability to evaluate the card and its price.

hmm, I guess I could do that and try to finally make a commander deck.

Well I'd want a few zombie-token pumps to drain the opponents life at least, but I'm speculating what I can do with the cards I have that aren't in a deck already. They're mostly modern, but a lot of the cards you'd want for each color in modern/standard I'm already using all that I have of in one of my decks probably.

>5/5 recursive card that makes 4/4 COPIES of cards in either players graveyard that are also zombies to trigger its own effect
>needs other zombies

not really
fyi you can hold on upkeep, activate his ability to make a 4/4 out of some dead creature then trigger his ability on the upkeep you just held

the drain/scry isn't the focal point of the card
its the infinite value engine on top of a stupidly hard to remove body

theres a reason he's my main commander. and that reason is "Army of the Damned"

you dont need to run even a single other zombie in your deck for him to be great

he makes zombies with his ability, and his upkeep trigger is basically winmore anyway considering how small the chances are that your opponent will be able to beat your army of 4/4s with etb abilities

I'm thinking about going for that buy a box promo where you get the treasure chest. Is it worth it to drop $140+ dollars on it to get it?

>Is it worth it to drop $140+ dollars on it to get it?
No, it really isn't worth it. Don't waste your money, just buy whatever singles you want online, it's far more financially reasonable.

Thanks user. Almost did the other day but decided to think on it.
Whats in those treasure chests anyway?

Here you are, the article about it:
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/black-friday-treasure-chest-promotion-2017-11-07

I've only bought like 8 Hour of Devastation packs ever and I got it. I know it's just luck, but it's a thrill to just buy packs from different shops and pull.

>blue, the color that doesn't allow the opponent to play the game
>black, the color that likes killing things that blue can't deal with

scarab god:
>big body
>very difficult to remove, requiring direct exile, hand removal, or multiple cards for 1 threat
> can turn a 100% control deck and 1 creature into a board full of enemies creatures now as 4/4, it is its own win con on its own, and has little to no drawbacks to it.

That is why it is so much.