Let's Make a Post-Apocalypse

Alright teegee let's make a posts apocalyptic setting that hasn't been done a thousand times.

>No nukes.

Other urls found in this thread:

what-if.xkcd.com/53/
what-if.xkcd.com/54/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>the cities are all haunted

By what? Actual ghosts? Something like Poltergeists from STALKER?

Either could work, I just want a post-apocalypse with supernatural stuff instead of just generic raiders and mutants.

The oceans have mostly become empty except the very deepest parts which are now salty lakes. It stills rains plenty but no one is sure where the water goes anymore.

Why not supernatural mutants?

Where does it go?

Intriguing, but how'd they get there? Assuming normal Earth as a baseline.

But then again, it doesn't have to be normal earth...

>Creationist scientist offers proof of the spirit world, claiming to have found biblical 'Limbo'
> Gets scoffed at
> ishallproveittoyou.gif
> hungry ghosts impervious to normal weaponry pour out of portal
> civilisation ends within the week, people trying to survive without encountering the spooks

Thoughts?

This guy raises an important question for a no-water apocalypse. Either way every life form is fucked

l
> people trying to survive without encountering the spooks
There's tons of spooks where I live and I manage to avoid them just fine. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

the unadmitted.

While trying to justify the setting to you ("B-but user, they're everywhere this time!") I realised too late that I just described a zombie apocalypse with ghosts instead of zombies. So, screw that noise...

There's plenty of water, there's just no oceans.

Weather is appropriately fucked in most places, but it still functions somehow.

>world of superheroes.
>three of the worlds biggest heroes get as many people as they can together to hunt down this one necromancer who has given them a lot of trouble.
>chase across the globe, leading to the loss of life of millions.
>fueled by all the death, necromancer fires off one last spell, killing 95% of living things on earth.
>remaining humans gather together in a mega structure that one of the mega corps was able to construct quickly after the disaster.
>its actually an alien construct that was made to be an "arc" for humanity.
>twilight of humanity plays out in unbelievably large structure that everyone thinks is still on earth but is really in orbit around the dead rock that was earth
>structure is slowly failing because the aliens who built it where killed in the spell as well, the process of revealing it and putting it in space where all automated.

That idea gets very interesting when you realize that no oceans means the atmosphere will dramatically shift around. 1atm pressure ("sea level") suddenly becomes about 2600m lower according to a quick google search, making the present sea level atmospheric pressure roughly equivalent to Denver.

Another fun one is how abyssal trenches and seamounts will suddenly become immense cliffs and towers with drops making Mount Thor or the Devil's Tower look positively reasonable.

Not big on the necromancer back story but I like the idea of the last dregs of humanity falling into chaos on a doomed space station.

Alright I have figured it out. Everything was normal then suddenly ghost. The ghost killed next to everyone as kinda in weapons failed to protect. The only peaple who survived where those who where in churches when everything went down or where devote enough and prayed to god to help. The problem is that every church or devote person regardless of religion survived. To sum up, shot ton of ghost of varying power levels, faithpowers are a thing, and the only people to survive are religious nuts.

a goddamned green apocalypse

plant-life everywhere encroaching on the now empty places where the oceans used to be, and the things adapting to the salty muck are a source of oddity all on their own as well.

the places that used to be the dry land are now essentially rainforests with all the rivers extending to what might once have been the ocean deeps

its just how my game played out. the necromancer should never have been that powerful but the heroes just kept getting people killed around them and it fueled him. when they cornered him he didn't monologue, he didnt negotiate, he didnt surrender, they found him "praying" and when they approached and heard he was casting a spell, they slowed their pace, rightfully assuming he was readying a big spell to fight them, thinking it was some kind of super undead creation. rather than stop him they let him finish and paid the ultimate price.
humanity doesnt know its on a space station. they dont know its failing. the few remaining heroes are trying to protect humanity from itself and a few more are trying to figure out whats really going on and why they arent allowed back "outside" to get samples.

And then there's the polar regions. The Antarctic shelf collapses, leaving a much smaller continental landmass. Depending on how the vanishing water works, it'll remain either glaciated, or a cold, high desert not unlike the South American Altiplano or the Atacama Desert.

The North Pole, on the other hand, will become an actual landmass and not a patch of sea ice. This gets interesting when you start looking at landforms there, depending on how precipitation works in this new world it likely either glaciates, or ends up looking a lot like Antarctica's McMurdo Dry Valleys (see pic).

Oh, I like it. A world of huge, expansive salt swamps and towering montane forests, air thinning the further up you go. And in the lowlands, brine pools and silt with no plant life in sight, just algae patches and bacterial mats, grazed on by...well, that could get interesting. It depends highly on how conditions change. I'm betting life would take some very unusual forms.

A particle storm washes over the earth that displaces the electrons in many co-valance bonds. Normal adhesives suddenly work about as well as gluing ice to teflon. Windshields delaminate and fall out of airliners. Epoxy bolts holding ceiling slabs fail. Over the next few years, concrete statues gradually melt into sand. Wood, tin, ceramics and rope become the building blocks of society.

Might be interesting if the oceans turned green, but the "uplands" that used to be the continents are now mostly conventional dusty apocalypses. With the thin air and the fact all the moisture now settles in the oceanic basins, it might end up all like The Road except haunted by angry ghosts.

Also, if I had my pick of technology level, I say cyberpunk.

So... What happened to all the water?

it got sucked back to mars, where it came from

Hell.

I dunno. Psykers?

Drained into the Hollow Earth.

Each continent has been ravaged by large-scale natural disasters
>Volcano areas
>Sub-zero areas
>Flooded ruins
>Tornadoes areas
>Collapsed cities on seismic rifts

The humans that survived adapted to their new environments and survived with what little it had to offer, shaping their tools and culture with the element of the area they live in. Volcano people smelt ore and grow crops on fertile volcano soil but have to go nomad every now and then when the local volcano wakes up.
Some continent parts are deep under ice, but some say life has not disappeared in the underground stations floating on groundwater tables. Only way to make it to the entrance without freezing to death is to pilgrim to one of the descent point, following the eye of one of the cyclones that roam the planet.
Vertical cities along the coasts are now flooded but still host communities that go by using pirogues and growing rice on floating gardens. Upper class lives in the highest floors because those are the safest when the occasional flood comes back, while the city plebs have to deal with the rising water levels

That's a start, something for you to work with if you like the pitch

hyper speed evaporation?

I HAVE A SUGGESTION
what-if.xkcd.com/53/
what-if.xkcd.com/54/

It's clear now! After a major volcanic cataclysm, the water went into the mantle through the newly formed rifts.

And that internal space that the water flowed into was where spirits of the dead used to go, but now it's filled with water so they all spilled out onto the surface.

Old sea level too high and too far away from water for survival so all of civilization went to the rifts where its all dead sea life and ridges.

Anyone remember that furry little red riding hood entail where tribal flurries converted humanity during a medieval period?

I do...

yeah, uh... so i can avoid it... what was the name of that or the artist?

I forgot...

You can find the "incident" and references to it on suptg

I mean 1d4chan

Earth has become tidaly lock with the sun, only a small strip of land is habitable on an eternal sunset

Evil cult tried to summon the old ones, they were stopped but the ritual kill most living things and removed the soul of 30% of remaining humans
The survivor try to rebuild society as the souless try to rise to power trough corruption and (killable) Eldritch horrors walk the land

Ayyylien ghosts

A swarm of self-replicating nanobots passed through the planetary system. They only needed enough resources to build more drones and continue onward towards whatever their final goal was, but their passing leaves the vast majority of the planet lifeless and barren.

Stealing that idea. Always wanted to play in such a environment after playing the Mad Max game.

I now have a terrible, terrible plan for my patriotic villian whos born in the Netherlands.

Apocalypse came because humans world-wide suddenly lost all the knowledge they once had. They weren't stupid, they just couldn't remember anything they'd learnt or had expertise in. Only prepubescents were unaffected.

Perhaps they stole half the world's missing water.
The other half drained into a massive underground sea.
This underground sea is where some humans decided to go after the apocalypse happened.

Someone was really thirsty

My inner geologist is crying as I attempt to accept this premise