Triggered Edition

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

scryfall.com/search?q=c=w o:create o:1/1&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=g o:create o:1/1&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=r o:create o:1/1&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=b o:create o:1/1&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=u o:create o:1/1&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=w o:1/1 o:create (e:xln or e:hou or e:akh or e:aer or e:kld or e:emn or e:soi)&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=g o:1/1 o:create (e:xln or e:hou or e:akh or e:aer or e:kld or e:emn or e:soi)&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=r o:1/1 o:create (e:xln or e:hou or e:akh or e:aer or e:kld or e:emn or e:soi)&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=w o:1/1 o:create (e:ogw or e:bfz or e:ori or e:dtk or e:frf or e:ktk or e:m15 or e:jou or e:bng or e:ths or e:m14 or e:dgm or e:gtc or e:rtr or e:m13 or e:avr or e:dka or e:isd or e:m12 or e:nph or e:mbs or e:som or e:m11 or e:roe or e:wwk or e:zen or e:m10)&order=set
scryfall.com/search?q=c=r o:1/1 o:create (e:ogw or e:bfz or e:ori or e:dtk or e:frf or e:ktk or e:m15 or e:jou or e:bng or e:ths or e:m14 or e:dgm or e:gtc or e:rtr or e:m13 or e:avr or e:dka or e:isd or e:m12 or e:nph or e:mbs or e:som or e:m11 or e:roe or e:wwk or e:zen or e:m10)&order=set
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Hushwing Gryff says this is fine. It's a bit more narrow that that card, but fits Kaladesh well considering.

Hm. this load action word is an interesting idea. I assume the dice pool would be a set mechanic or something like that we'd see a lot of. I have to assume it'd work like energy or something? Or cards that call for die rolls if you have dice loaded into your pool, "spending" them to get added effects? I don't know Unhinged real well so if it's something from there I apologize.

Post some potential EDH commanders

No, post gigantic spells instead

Reminder card. Using the same kind of technology as the monarch and contraptions, you can have long rules attached to an outside game piece you pull in, saving card space. The current version of your dice pool allows you to stock additional dice you can then use later to add to other rolls, functioning similar to The Big Idea, only it can be more than two. You can only losd up to 5 because I dont wsnt you to need to worry about needing an unknown number of dice (you only ever need six at once), at 6 total dice max means you can still hypothetically lose the set's main dice rolling mechanic.

Main worry Ive beard is I have to use dice rolling cards, if any, that roll d6 and count the value rolled for an effect very sparingly, but I feel those are the least to second least viable kind of dice roll effect for being transferred to black border anyway (the other being cards with different effects for each roll).

>Fimbulvinter
I feel like these could be 2/2 Wolf tokens. Also land tapdown is in red now, so I wonder if this shouldn't be 2GRR or something instead.
>Ragnarok
Eh, don't care for the complete inability to cast it if you don't control Fimbulvinter. This is a case where flavor kills mechanics, and instead I'd prefer to see a bonus for saccing it instead of it being an additional cost, then recost the spell accordingly if necessary.

EDH/10. Also the fact that he has hexproof makes it really boring to me. The fact that this hits the field and likely never goes anywhere the rest of the game just makes me not very excited about it.

Hm. I kind of prefer the idea of replacing a die roll with a die from the die pool if you don't like what you rolled, or maybe being able to roll an additional die and keeping the higher result? I guess I'd have to see more cards since I'm not accustomed to seeing cards call for more than one d6.

This should at least require a discard cost to be able to counter removal spells with impunity.

I think it'd be more blue if you had to choose a noncreature, nonland type.

Adjust the cost accordingly or keep it the same?

If anything, it would need to cost more or made smaller. 2/4 reach for 3 is already a decent defensive body.

People suggested this but i explained last thread why i prefer adding rather than swapping. The main criticism is again that adding throws effects that care about the value rolled and scale based on thst out of wack, but like I said I dont think that mechanic has any chance in black border outside of perhaps a non constructed timmy rare or something anyway.

Basicslly, I dont like swapping for this (though i think its good space somewhere) because
A) the wording required for swapping id confusing and non intuitive (see krark's other thumb)
B) adding makes it easier to "win" with the main dice rolling mechanic of the set
C) adding has more synergy with the general existing pool of dice mechanics i feel (which is why i think The Big Idea does it as the dice rolling commamder from Unstable)
D) i think rolling lots of dice at once is more fun, but that may just be my opinion.

But im open to hearing any reasons why swapping might be better.

I was wondering if a 2/2 token generator right after land hate would be a bit excessive, but I agree with you on the changes.

oh, also, small flavor consolation is I feel like swaping feels lpre "cerebral". Like youee making a calculated decision to grt out of your roll. Rolling more dice snd adding feels more "brute forxe" y i think. Basicslly, its sniping versus spray and pray in my mind. Not a huge deal, and Id be willing to switch if swapping turned out to just be better, but it does matter to me.

The focused dice rolling mechanic, though there be other one offs in varying amounts.

That's pretty cool, but there should be an additional ruling for when players roll the same amount.

Not necessary, based on clash wording. Presumably because the cards only care about winning.

Oh, I didn't catch that. In that case, nice card.

Exiling all permanents should cost more than 6. The two cards also don't want to be in the same deck.

To be honest i dont know how great it is. Its totally random unless you load some dice, and clash was pretty poorly recieved. This fixes a few problems (wordiness, less fiddly), but clash's main problem is the randomness. I dont know if a dedicated mechanic that very easily mitigates it is enough.

I considered making the ability cost 2GU at first. Unfortunately there weren't any 2/4s with reach in gold to base it off of, so since Giant Spider was CMC4, I figured 3 in gold was okay. I don't really want the ability to cost a card, so what do you think for costing? Azorius Guildmage can counter activated abilities without tapping for 2U, so maybe 2GU+tap would be okay? Or maybe I should get rid of that part and just have it counter noncreature spells? Thing is, GU loves going after activated abilities so I felt like it should be on there. Also maybe it should be rare.

Dueling makes the current pool mechanic interesting, but I was looking at it in the grander scheme of things. And since your card was black border, I kind of had to.

5 should be "five"; numerals are only for abstract concepts like life and damage. Physical objects are always the word. Also use "don't" instead of "do not". And use "create" instead of "put onto battlefield" for the tokens. And finally, "can't be countered" for Ragnarok.

>Spellhunter
Countering noncreature spells is the strong part, not the activated abilities part.

I know, but I'm just walking though the design. The body feels too expensive at 2GU, but I also don't want to add discard to the cost on the ability. A bit stuck.

>Exiling all permanents should cost more than 6
Fair point; I changed the cost to 9 CMC.
>The two cards also don't want to be in the same deck
I understand what you mean, but I personally think it's more flavorful this way.

Fixed the wording, thanks for pointing it out

Might as well post another planeswalker. Never been 100% satisfied with this. Idea is a planeswalker built for UB control, with abilities revolving around time manipulation.

Seems pretty cool.

>but I was looking at it in the grander scheme of things. And since your card was black border, I kind of had to.
I know, and I am as well, just I am making a concious effort to forego a possible design path, which reasonably some may disagree with, but its a thing that sometimes should be done I think. As i said, adding instead of swapping makes "winning" most other dice rolling mechanics much easier than swapping (better compatability, again why I think they used this ability on The Big Idea), whereas swapping is a little more pinpoint and less guaranteed. And the design space adding really fucks up, stuff like "2r roll a d6 deal damage equal to the roll", imo has no future in black border because theres no real way to cost cards like that that that balances it. They couldn't even accept it in silver border, and limited effects like that to either easy to answer forms (like kangaroo) or very low impact (Kitten). Besides that, getting absurd rolls is something you have to build up with loading the dice pool. If you wanted an extremely high chance at rolling an absurd number, youd have play other cards that load several times beforehand, and even then its no guarantee. Like i said last thread, i almost think itd be really sweet if there was a combo deck that did that.

Longer than i meant to make it without spacing, sorry

>But im open to hearing any reasons why swapping might be better.
Don't lie to us.

Have i demonstrated otherwise? Ive gotten exactly one reason i should do swapping instead of adding, and ive given at least 5 different reasons to do adding over swapping, 3 of which were explicitly mechanical and not just opinion based on flavor. There doesnt need to be an equal or even higher number of reasons, but the potential to break a certain kind of card that they weren't even silly enough to do in silver border if you spend a lot of set up and get relatively lucky doesn't outweigh the other benefits imo.

Oh, there is another reason to do swapping that no one has specifically mentioned yet, but its pretty small and also doesnt tip the scale (if you swap instead of add, it means you dont have to do math, which is better, but adding is very simple and d6s can be done on hands so)

Making it target makes it too narrow.

>M E M E S.jpg
Don't know, don't care.

Next magic set coming out is all about dinosaurs and pirates.

It should have "up to one target" for each card. It also should be targeting cards.

It has been done

You should make this like Grim Captain's Call. I love that card.

Me too. They should do multi-tribal like this more often.

To be fair it doesnt really make sense too often. Most of the times it just better to be less narrow in tribes. Fortunately, Ixalan happened to be a set where it made sense. Only a few tribes that the set was entirely built around, meaning there were fewer types to call out by name and you were more guaranteed to play more than one. Its not a great card in limited afaik but it gives you an awesome dream to try and live.

Cute flavor but pretty sure the second thing is fuckbroken considering crystal vein is already a real and good card

I might add Discard a Card to the cost for the second ability. Does that sound balanced?

Less a dream and more of a consolation prize if your draft was fucked and you couldn't get into a tribe. One of the problems with Ixalan is that there is no individual power, but tribal synergies are strong enough to beat someone who just drafts a curve.

I know this is is common criticism of Ixalan draft but I just don't see it outsde of specific combinations (specifically WR and BR). I only drafted a few times though so I dunno. I could tell evasion and some auras (specifically one with the wind) were super powerful though which is also a common criticism compounded by relatively weak removal which I suppose was to enable creature based strategies better.

No

Art in use, Clones are not People.Yeah, not in Magic, but it still bugs me. Not sure on ability, but it seems pretty fun.

Armament Booster
3GUGR
Tribal Sorcery - Aura
5/9
Examine the bottom card of opponent's hand. You may counter target sliver with cost equal to or less and then skip opponent's next phases equal to its colors. Cards cast this way are banished when they leave the library. Shuffle it into your land after 2 end steps.
T: Scry 4 then tap your library. It cannot be untapped unless you pay T.

How stupid is this idea?

I see someone isna grenzo player. I think it can exist but it needs a reason in context. Without one it is pointless.

Also, i know this was intended for grenzo, but it should really target any player. May have to be costed higher lose cantrip but meh. Right now it reads like One With Nothing.

Anyone interested in helping me hammer out Corrupt? I've finally gotten rid of the -1/-1 aspect of it, but it still feels too powerful.

>2-for-1: The Mechanic
yes, way too powerful. It may be better to just make 1/1 tokens with Corrupt. perhaps, rather than just having everything with Corrupt be a limited card advantage machine gun

What if I changed "It gains Corrupt" to "It becomes a Zombie in addition to it's other creature types."

>What if I changed "It gains Corrupt" to "It becomes a Zombie in addition to it's other creature types."
That just makes it a regular 2-for-1 instead of a potential infinite-for-1. It's a hugely problematic in limited for limited.

Nothing blue about this

>Equal to its power
whose power?

...right, the wording is rather poor there. I'd thought it was clear about it being Peerless Archer but yeah, not quite so.

not every multicolored card has mechanics from both colors.

Mtg design has moved on from Alara you know

Karametra, a card from Theros, has an almost entirely green mechanic but is Green/white

If you can choose more than 1 card it could work. That would be like, select garbage and put it away, kind of, but it would work to select less useful cards against certain decks and put them as far as you could (until you shuffle your library again).
But I think it should be blue, because rearrange library is something blue does? The most similar card to this that I can recall, definitevely different, is Parallel Thoughts.
Maybe could be black if you Repress an oponents memories

I found like five white and four red creatures with reach. I think the anti-fight power is enought to also had reach, or make it cost a little more (2WR)

Playing about with a common.

that card would mechanically fit white more.

Oh? It's Dragon Fodder, As A Creature.

You mean it's not Paladin of the Bloodstained, Attended Knight, Knight-captain of eos, Urbis Protector etc.?
Ther's some in other colors but it's a White thing

Or Siege-Gang Commander, Krenko or Beetleback Chief? Small tokens is pretty solidly something red does.

white=green>red, I'd say; especially on creatures that are 3 mana or less

This shouldn't be a keyword.

>Dragon Fodder
>Siege-Gang
>Commander
>Krenko
>Beetleback Chief
All of these create 1/1 red Goblins, although all colors create tokens white usually is the most suitable for that, followed by green for things like populate.
It could be just a 1/1 red elemental or devil token.
I would ask whats the purpose of the card? what are the mechanics of the set?

Uh, no, green hasnt been primary in small tokens for a long time. Red is equal to white in small token making.

Decided to look up the numbers.

scryfall.com/search?q=c=w o:create o:1/1&order=set
W: 127

scryfall.com/search?q=c=g o:create o:1/1&order=set
G: 106

scryfall.com/search?q=c=r o:create o:1/1&order=set
R: 44

scryfall.com/search?q=c=b o:create o:1/1&order=set
B: 30

scryfall.com/search?q=c=u o:create o:1/1&order=set
U: 19

So
W>G>>>>>R>B>U

So you want red shamans. Creatures with prowess are of type monk, warrior or wizard (mostly). I would recomend instead of give prowess just give them +1/+0 or +2/+0

Also image of tokens

What do you think of this? Blue doesn't have any bears yet, but with black getting plenty of bears with upside and red also getting bears recently I figure it's only a question of time. And the upside isn't that good without additional support. I wanted to make it 1W originally, but the "-ling"-pump is solidly U, and I'd like to keep it in 1 colour.

I'd like this better as 1RG, not only for reach but also because those are the primary "fight" colors.
Colour words ("red") aren't capitalized. Otherwise perfectly fine.
Can't say anything for flavour. Fits the colours nicely. I always appreciate RW cards that are more control-oriented.
Good stuff. Would first-pick. You forgot a period at the end, though, and magic cards use double apostrophes for quotes.

>Creatures you control have prowess and are Shamans in addition to their other types.
>3RR: Until end of turn, creatures you control gain "T: This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."
None of this makes sense.

Thoughts?

I don't even know how this would work.

Return doesn't work with instead. One's a replacement, the other's a trigger.

Looks like Ashnod found a new favorite BDSM sex slave.

This is like trying to argue white is primary in flash with blue and not green because white used to get more flash. Iirc the numbers are still in favor of white.

>702.36c To cast a card using its morph ability, turn it face down. It becomes a 2/2 face-down creature card with no text, no name, no subtypes, and no mana cost. Any effects or prohibitions that would apply to casting a card with these characteristics (and not the face-up card’s characteristics) are applied to casting this card. These values are the copiable values of that object’s characteristics. (See rule 613, “Interaction of Continuous Effects,” and rule 706, “Copying Objects.”) Put it onto the stack (as a face-down spell with the same characteristics), and pay {3} rather than pay its mana cost. This follows the rules for paying alternative costs. You can use a morph ability to cast a card from any zone from which you could normally play it. When the spell resolves, it enters the battlefield with the same characteristics the spell had. The morph effect applies to the face-down object wherever it is, and it ends when the permanent is turned face up.

This looks like it should work.

Meant to go with

OK. New search, Shadows over Innistrad through Ixalan. That's Ixalan, plus the three blocks before it. Should be recent enough.

scryfall.com/search?q=c=w o:1/1 o:create (e:xln or e:hou or e:akh or e:aer or e:kld or e:emn or e:soi)&order=set
W:25

scryfall.com/search?q=c=g o:1/1 o:create (e:xln or e:hou or e:akh or e:aer or e:kld or e:emn or e:soi)&order=set
G:5

scryfall.com/search?q=c=r o:1/1 o:create (e:xln or e:hou or e:akh or e:aer or e:kld or e:emn or e:soi)&order=set
R: 6

R beats G here, barely, but both are still dwarfed by W.

Oh yeah, I did decide to look at your Flash claim, which is actually a fairly good point, because W does edge out G by a small amount, but U has both of them beat. The only justification I can think of is W tends to do it for mechanical reasons (ie, triggered abilities), while G has it a lot more as just goodstuff.

Sure you can use Morph to get a 2/2 for 3, but you can't use Morph to cast the spell.
>701.32e If a manifested permanent that’s represented by an instant or sorcery card would turn face up, its controller reveals it and leaves it face down. Abilities that trigger whenever a permanent is turned face up won’t trigger.
The same is true for Transform. The other side is revealed, but nothing happens.

The justification is that white used to be primary in flash beside blue, just like green used to be primary in (small) token making with white. It was that way for a long time before they switched white out for green. There was an article explaining that they took small token making out of green, but green is still primary in tokens. It just less often makes small ones. Now its mostly red and white thst make small tokens, though as said any color can make pretty much any token as long there is mechanical and flavor purpose. Red just most often makes goblins because its by far the most common small red creature, so.

>Now its mostly red and white thst make small tokens,
I just made a post showing how W dwarfs R when it comes to small tokens from Ixalan and the three sets before that.

So, let's go further back. Oath of the Gatewatch through Magic 2010.

scryfall.com/search?q=c=w o:1/1 o:create (e:ogw or e:bfz or e:ori or e:dtk or e:frf or e:ktk or e:m15 or e:jou or e:bng or e:ths or e:m14 or e:dgm or e:gtc or e:rtr or e:m13 or e:avr or e:dka or e:isd or e:m12 or e:nph or e:mbs or e:som or e:m11 or e:roe or e:wwk or e:zen or e:m10)&order=set
W: 50

scryfall.com/search?q=c=r o:1/1 o:create (e:ogw or e:bfz or e:ori or e:dtk or e:frf or e:ktk or e:m15 or e:jou or e:bng or e:ths or e:m14 or e:dgm or e:gtc or e:rtr or e:m13 or e:avr or e:dka or e:isd or e:m12 or e:nph or e:mbs or e:som or e:m11 or e:roe or e:wwk or e:zen or e:m10)&order=set
R: 18

W still beats R. I don't know about older Magic, but when it comes to modern Magic, W is the absolute king of small tokens. Yes, R is second-best, but it's a distant second.