Merchant Republics - landed or maritime?

Hey Veeky Forums
So I’m having a really tough time deciding between setting my latest story/adventure in one of two types of medieval Merchant Republic:
>the landed, industry based model reminiscent of Florence or Free Cities in the HRE - powerful guilds, yeomen/peasant based farming communities. Economic power would be rooted in major industries (textiles, dyes, crafts, other exceptional qualiry products) and/or banking.
>the maritime trade variant more in line with Venice/Genoa/Pisa. Based on powerful fleets and trade wealth/protection of trade routes
Both are just so appealing for different reasons and I’ve just been stalled out trying and failing to choose between them. My autism demands I settle which is which before I really flesh out the adventure or present it to my players.

The setting is homebrew low fantasy (think something like the witcher, conan, solomon kane, mixed with swashbuckling adventure serials like Zorro/three musketeers). Basics of the city are all worked out, etc. just having the damnedist time actually deciding between these two equally valid flavors.
Anyone have opinions on the matter? Experiences? Tips for adventures?
Thanks for your time lads. Appreciate it.

Maritime is better known, so the players might get into it better. Honestly, I don't know too much about how Free Cities worked, but wouldn't they still have to rely on rivers for mass transportation? From what I'd guess (I could be entirely wrong) the big question is what flavor of adventure you want.

With a land based game, the players will probably get to know the map a bit more. It will be more grounded heh since they have to tramp everywhere with a wagon in tow. I can see the low fantasy aspects working well here. Bandits and small but lethal monsters in the dark would be the danger. Bad weather would be an annoyance, not a contest of strength. There would be less adventure of the grand sort, and more of the subdued working-class grind of survival. If you have an older crew of players who don't need flashy tales and just want to roll some dice and be simple mercenaries trying to make their way in the world, this could be good.

A maritime game would probably be better for our swashbuckling needs. The seas are wild, and the land beyond the sees wilder. Huge monsters lurk in the foreign jungles and in the depths of the ocean. Pirates are bold and adventurers must be bolder still to live. This gives you the opportunity to spice up your game, add craziness, make a big bombastic campaign. Throw in exploration with the trade and fighting for some extra fun.

>Merchant Republics - landed or maritime?

Why not both?

>be landed merchant republic
>realise sea links are useful
>just extend city walls to nearest port

I'm partial to Venice/seafaring merchants. You can have as much fun on ships as in the city, plus irl Venice in its prime was a pretty crazy place with spies everywhere, mysteries and debauchery going on in beautiful palaces overlooking busy canals.

Land merchant republics are much more sensitive to transportation issues and lock-up, which means a LOT more hooks are going to be present for the party. You can block a mountain pass and kill off transport for the republic with just 20 guys sitting in bushes, but it would take a small flotilla to block out a maritime trade and much bigger scale of things.

As far as my experience goes, maritime merchant republics and city states serve as great backdrop for the game, but if you want to meddle into things without playing as bunch of rich and influencial people, free cities and such work much better. Mostly because of (relatively) smaller scale and range. You have deals with local communities, other cities, maybe other small political entities, or maybe bandits or the local feudal lord, who realised the city is actually his heirloom that got free few generations ago and now wants it back... you see the picture, right?
So as personal preference, I prefer free cities and land-based small republics. Mostly because they play on more contained scale.

>Maritime is better known
Where? To whom?

Go full SPQR but don't turn into an empire and stay Imperialism: Privatized.

Substantial land holdings and considerable sea travel bound by law and the principles of making as much money as possible.

>>Maritime is better known
>Where? To whom?
Everybody loves (or hates) Venice. Nobody cares about Lubeck.

Excellent points.
The espionage angle is definitely one of the bigger pros for maritime. Where there’s ports there’s gonna be spycraft, smuggling, assassins and all sorts of nasty stuff. Shit’s great.
That’s kinda how florence did it too. Though more by lazily conquering Pisa rather than building a port town and a combined highway/wall to said port town.
Honestly if I do a land based republic I’ll likely still have a major port just to use the nautical stuff if I want it.

>Nobody cares about Lubeck.
Say that with a straight face to anyone east from Belgium. I dare you. Especially since Hanza brough prosperity and often civilization to new regions. Meanwhile, Venice is some bunch of cunts from Italy that ruined everything for everyone down there. Big deal.

Plus, you do know that Hanseatic League was also maritime... right?

user, don't want to break it for you, but Firenza is about 80 km from Pisa, which is another 3 from the shore. 80 km of hills. Using Arno for shipping adds another 20, since the river does have some serious meanders that can't be cut with canals, even if you have cash and manpower for that (since you would have to demolish few hills). Meaning you have 80-100 km to cross. That's entire day of travel, which doubles the cost of shipping shit from Firenza to rest of the world, since it was cheaper to ship from Pisa to, say, Valentia than carry from Firenza to Pisa via land. And you STILL need a port facility on the shore, so having Pisa makes a lot of sense, even if it was greatly neglected port and a shitty port location in the first place (it's basically a river port that has access to sea delta, but that's it, severly limiting accessability). So it was more profitable for Firenza to conquer Pisa than for Pisa to exists on its own, that's how bad the port was. Eventually even Florentines changed their designated port, being tired with the shit-tier Pisan one.

I'm sorry, did you just implied Lubeck wasn't a fucking sea-power, you complete imbecile?!

All right, then: Everybody is acquainted with Venice. The only people who care about the Hansa are a few Europeans. The only people who care about Samarkand are a few Muslims.

Yes user, half of the continent is "few Europeans".
Sounds almost like Venice, only that it's contained to fucking Balkans, that nobody gives a fuck about.

I didn't know it was already daytime in the States

can you think of any good primers for the HRE in this aspect? I've always found it interesting and didn't know they had a merchant republic-like system. My curiosity is piqued

The fucking Hansa? All sorts and types of free imperial cities? I mean it's impossible to never heard about those if you know what HRE is.

Wow that’s very interesting. I really need to learn more about tuscany.
Thanks for making me less of a brainlet today. Any other tidbits on the Florentine relationship with subject regions/cities?

I’m an amateur at HRE stuff, but effectively the Imperial cities had their own charters/constitution and reported directly to the Emperor/diet rather than any higher lord. This gave them the freedom to manage their own affairs as they saw fit without as much feudal red tape - naturally appealling to burghers and merchants. The great trading centers of the northern Empire (as well as outsiders such as Novgorod, and even merchant cities in England) formed a league (Hansa) for common defense from piracy/feudal overreach and to work for common profit. It was an enormous deal and made the cities stupidly rich to the point the Hansa could leverage power and influence in its own right.

There isn't really much. Medici were perfectly content with controlling almost all of Tuscany and that was it - they didn't need more nor there was any real point in getting more. All the cities outside easy-to-maintain control or with no real value were simply left alone for their doing. Some of them even joined on their own later, with no war or even diplomatic actions. The Grand Duchy of Tuscany is also one of those rare cases where Habsburgs came into the power vaccum (in 1737 last Medici died) and didn't turn things into worse.

So it was effectively another example of the city (Florence) more or less being the feudal overlord of the countryside/subject cities/regions right? The Medici/Priori could just dictate to these subjects as long as they had the cash and arms to enforce their will?

All you need to know they've conquered Pisa for its port and Siena got taken over during Italian Wars nominally for Charles V, but Gian Giacomo Medici (who commanded the army busy conquering Siena) was granted it as a governor, which laid fundation for creation of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. There was also official "imperial" area known as State of the Presidi, eventually going to Spain, but that's not Florentine ownership. Lucca was also left ot its own devices, being a small-fry merchant republic that nobody wanted to conquer (for no good reason, since it was a rich and strategically important land).

In fact, Lucca was probably the most democratic of all Italian states, as it maintained functional democracy for most of its existence, only in the later phases turning into oligarchy of most influential families.

If you greatly simplify things, then yeah. See, the point of the Grand Duchy was the immense stability it brought. No more backstabbing of patrician families, no never-ending revolts of the peasants/city workers and eventually - no more wars. So people were perfectly fine with Medici rule once the onslaught ended, precisely because it ended. Meanwhile, the urban areas still had a lot of liberty, so nobody complained.

What about river ports? You know, Rhineland managed to be prosperous and full of trading city-states, without having access to the sea or bothering with sea trade - they just traded between each other, which was more than enough. And it was traders coming to them via Rhine from outside, not the other way around, which meant each city was able to dictate their own rules and prices, rather than being subject to the whims of the traders in the final port.

Baltic not Balkans.

What are yeomen?

Here are some book charts for those interested.

Peasants that owned their own land.

This looks like something that'd happen in a fucking cartoon?
>At last, we've finally completed our great and magnificent city! Now none will overtake us in trade!
>But the sea is all the way over there!
>[One building montage later]

True, but keep in mind that while other countries had their equivalents the term "yeoman" wasn't actually used outside of England. Something like "Freeman farmer" or whatever would be more accurate if you want to satisfy your autism, because there'd be minor legal differences depending on where these folsks were. They'd have different rights and obligations.

Since we're on the subject of city states, free citizens and rights anyway, wouldn't it be a good idea to start your city state by having its own constitution? I mean, things like the codified US Constitution weren't around but didn't these city states have certain founding documents from which citizens derived certain rights not even higher feudal lords could intervene with?

They certainly did. The old civic charters were not to be fucked with. They were a major symbol of legitimacy and the root of the legal code.
Interestingly you then have cities plaguarizing one another’s codes, resulting in cities that have similar baselines for their governance - not to mention ‘we wuz romans n shiiettt’ larpers in Italy.

why not both?

But that's what city charter is for. Magdeburg, Lubeck and Kulm were most influencial in HRE and eastward (so Poland, Bohemia and all what's nowdays Baltic states), since others were just copying their charters and applying only cosmetic changes to it. And those were based on Flemish rights, which were based on local traditions mixed with Roman law.

Also, you are aware that the fact City A had its sets of laws didn't meant shit outside the Town A and Lord B, if he was strong enough and his overlord, Duke C, wasn't strong enough or interested, could still try to subdue the town?

Don't want to break it for you, burger boy, but just because a medieval city had its set of laws didn't meant it was magically protected from feudal lords in given area. If not by directly pushing into the city (or being located into the city and working its inner politics), they could still starve it economically (or literally) by applying tolls all around given city, raking pure profit and nobody could do shit about this, unless applying physical resistance with a proper army and fortifications.
Then there are also tolls on roads and rivers, too, on scale of a duchy/kingdom. In fact, all the way until free floating on any given river was declared by anyone strong enough, use of rivers for trade wasn't profitable at all. Best case example is France all the way to the fucking 18th century. It was cheaper to import timber/lumber from what's today Estonia and Latvia by sea-worthy ships than to float it downstream of Loire and Seine due to local nobility taking their tolls and lack of any legal protection or "police" (in any form), which meant more was looted and taken as tolls than it ever reached final destination. Just for the record - not even Louis XIV with both Colberts managed to do anything about it and they are considered the guys who curb-stomped noble economic rights whenever possible.

Wasn't the concept of resisting feudals the main reason behind formation of the Hanseatic League? So a bunch of towns could send out their own army, that they could never muster on their own, make sure everyone listens and maybe even kick Danes from the Sund.